World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
NHL makes all those stupid decisions, but in the end no top Europe player will play for that joke team.

I suspect most of them will play, if only to adhere to the wishes of the NHLPA, but whether they'll give a damn is another matter.

I somehow can't see Mark Streight or Zdeno Chara blocking a shot for Team Leftover. Why risk an injury for such a meaningless mickey mouse squad whose very existance is an insult to your own excluded national team?

Bettman's dishonest explanation for the two joke teams is to allow for a more even playing field and to avoid blowouts, even though Slovakia and Switzerland are not blownout any more than the rest of the top-eight. But ironically, the very inclusion of the two joke teams might make for more lopsided games simply because those given the dishonour of playing on these teams have no reason to care.

There isn't a single player in the world who dreams of representing his continent's leftovers or age group at an international event so I won't be at all surpised to see the leftovers or youngunz put in the most half-assed performance we've ever seen.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Landeskog - Zibanejad - Forsberg
Hertl - Barkov - Pastrnak
Dano - Girgensons - Lindholm
Burakovsky - Teravainen - Rakell
Draisaitl - Jaskin

Maatta - Ristolainen
Lindholm - Brodin
Klefbom - Larsson
Lindbohm - Wikstrand

Forsberg
Grubauer
Lassinantti

Klingberg should be in this lineup. Nylander & Ehlers haven't played in the NHL but should probably make this team.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I suspect most of them will play, if only to adhere to the wishes of the NHLPA, but whether they'll give a damn is another matter.

I somehow can't see Mark Streight or Zdeno Chara blocking a shot for Team Leftover. Why risk an injury for such a meaningless mickey mouse squad whose very existance is an insult to your own excluded national team?

Bettman's dishonest explanation for the two joke teams is to allow for a more even playing field and to avoid blowouts, even though Slovakia and Switzerland are not blownout any more than the rest of the top-eight. But ironically, the very inclusion of the two joke teams might make for more lopsided games simply because the those given the dishonour of playing on these teams have no reason to care.

There isn't a single player in the world who dreams of representing his continent's leftovers or age group at an international event so I won't be at all surpised to see the leftovers or youngunz put in the most half-assed performance we've ever seen.

Yes, you are right. It would be awesome if the joke teams were dominated and blown away. Maybe NHL would think twice before doing that in the next World Cup.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I somehow can't see Mark Straight or Zdeno Chevy blocking a shot for Team Leftover. Why risk an injury for such a meaningless mickey mouse squad whose very existance is an insult to your own excluded national team? QUOTE]

What greater honor than to play for Team EUROPE! Killer defense they will have!

Slovakia will lead this team with the inclusion of STAR players from many other countries! They certainly will have fun there on the bench, Kopitar, Chara, Girg, Josi, Zuccarello, Andersen and Hossa. NY Islanders never was this good.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Great we have the U23s who care. Anyone else? And yes Toronto is small compared to the entirety of the hockey world.

So I guess Barcelona and Man United are small soccer markets using your metric here eh?

Unfortunately this is a sad cash grab. Market to a small rabid fan base who will watch anything hockey related, low production costs, throw in gimmicks, and wallah instant money.

Sure it's a cash grab otherwise they would do it in closed rinks with zero fans.....you get my point right?

Even so, the NHL has already seen the ill of its ways. They've stated the format will be changed for future World Cups.

More hockey is sometimes a good thing, I for one love these tournaments and even the lesser ones as well.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Well, in that case Landeskog & Larsson are probably too old as well. I doubt they go by anything else than birth year.

Age at September, 1st, is what I see around the net. Since the tournament is between Sept 17 and Oct 1 there's the opportunity for a 24 year old or two to steal the candy for a younger guy on nordamerikanernas lag.

Landeskog and Larsson are born late 1992 (24 in november) so they should both be on such a team (24 years and 17 to 31 days and under, basically 23 and under).

Klingberg is 24 in august 14, so he would miss out on such an opportunity. No Team Sweden, no European u23 for him. Only Stars.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
It's not just the Europeans complaining. If you hadn't noticed, this format is not being welcomed with open arms by Americans and Canadians either. I for one will not be watching this charade.

Sometimes Canada have problems with Slovakia. And now Switzerland plus the best from a handful of other developed hockey countries will add to such a team. Even more scary than american calves trying to break thru a finnish neutral zone trap.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
What if Team Europe is allowed players left out of the national teams?

Vanek - Kopitar - Girgensons
Hossa - Söderberg - Gaborik
Tatar - Berglund - Zuccarello
Boedker - Nielsen - Niederreiter
Grabovski - Kostitsyn

Sekera - Chara
Enström - Streit
Kronwall - Josi
Klingberg - Seidenberg

HAH

PS. Add a russian forward or two. Remove a softie or two on the wings. Or a white russian.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
SUI and NOR are not part of EU

It's international you know

I suspect the players from Switzerland could adapt to Ol' Ludvig Van (Beethoven). Zuccarello can look the ther way or humm something by Grieg to get in the mood.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Last edited:

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'm not sure I've ever seen such universal dislike for anything hockey related before. Its really amazing. Even the Clarkson contract had more supporters.
I'm sure the NHL has someone in management, or someone who has their ear, keeps tabs on these forums. Think they might be a little worried?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm not sure I've ever seen such universal dislike for anything hockey related before. Its really amazing. Even the Clarkson contract had more supporters.
I'm sure the NHL has someone in management, or someone who has their ear, keeps tabs on these forums. Think they might be a little worried?

Nah. The North American everyman who kinda knows what ice hockey is will be the target. Those guys are happy.

HC Jets

Jan 11, 2015
This is extremely sad. This thread has produced 12 times the pages the Czech Republic roster conversation has (24-2). Anyway, what if all Slovaks and Swiss boycott this tournament? It could look like this.

T. Vanek - A. Kopitar - P. Thoresen
M. Boedker - F. Nielsen - N. Ehlers
M. Zuccarello - L. Eller - M. Grabner
M. Raffl - Z. Girgensons - J. Hansen
J. Mursak - L. Draisaitl - O. Bjorkstrand

C. Ehrhoff - P. Larsen
D. Seidenberg - K. Dallman
O. Tollefsen - K. Holzer
R. Hrabarenka - J. Holos

F. Andersen
T. Greiss
P. Grubauer

If the NHL thinks this team would have a chance, thats certainly not the case so have Swiss and Slovaks would be a must. If they really want extra teams that can compete, why not take the top IIHF ranked team (Canada at this time) and let them enter a second team. Any team that is ranked #1 could certainly have a second team that could compete. CAN, RUS, USA, SWE, FIN, CZE, SVK and CAN 2 wouldn't look that bad (although I would prefer a 20 team format).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad