Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Were the camp lines posted anywhere? In the opening press conference after Day 1's practice Sheldon Keefe said they would look pretty close to the lines the Devils would use in the preseason (of course that was with Mercer missing).
Found them... Does Dawson simply replace Labanc?

Also, Haula was out that day. Imagine he replaces Bowers with Palat.

Missing from these lines are Beckman and Legare (I assume they were on the ice?).

Anything to read into Nolan Foote playing with basically an AHL line?

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Hey guys, I loath to talk about my personal life but I’ve been absent because my Mom recently passed away from Pancreatic Cancer. (And for those who remember Jerry Gigantic, he’s my older brother, so he’s also lost her.)

She had a heart attack in mid-April, had a MRI a week later because she had water in her lungs, and that’s how they discovered she had Stage 4 cancer.

And then she died 4 months later, so as you can imagine it was a very shitty whirlwind of medical catastrophes and struggles with our terrible medical system.

My mom was a pistol, just the best and we were very close, so this the biggest loss I’ve ever experienced.

She did get to attend her 60th Wedding Anniversary party in June while still pretty healthy, so that was good.

Anyway, not saying the Devils owe my family a winning season now, but it would be nice gesture on their part.

Also, I just got home, after spending months at my parents, and immediately got COVID. So that’s nice.
So sorry to hear. Covid on top really stinks. I hope you’ll be able to spend time with friends and loved ones soon. We all value you here and miss you when you’re away. Tell Jerry the same please.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Found them... Does Dawson simply replace Labanc?

Also, Haula was out that day. Imagine he replaces Bowers with Palat.

Missing from these lines are Beckman and Legare (I assume they were on the ice?).

Anything to read into Nolan Foote playing with basically an AHL line?

Yes Mercer replaces Lablanc.

It is good to see that Keefe is going with combinations that make sense. Reuniting Tatar-Nico-Mercer shows that Keefe has done his homework.

Dillon-Dougie - curious to see how this works out.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yes Mercer replaces Lablanc.

It is good to see that Keefe is going with combinations that make sense. Reuniting Tatar-Nico-Mercer shows that Keefe has done his homework.

Dillon-Dougie - curious to see how this works out.
Luke and Pesce not practicing basically leaves us with Dillon or Siegs for that Dougie pairing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not trying to be contrarian but we're supposed to believe Sheldon Keefe, who's body of work is coaching the Toronto Maple Leafs is going to have a better defensive structure than Lindy Ruff (a former defensemen known throughout his coaching career as a coach who relied on team defense to win games)?

Watching the Sabres' preseason media one of the reasons given for Buffalo hiring Ruff was to provide structure for their young but talented defensemen. This quote came from Scotty Bowman.
Any new coach should get a minimum 40 games of leeway from fans... Sometimes it's takes a little bit for everything to click.

I'm sure whatever we see early on will be a work in progress.... couple that with a lot of new faces on Defense and goaltending and they are going to need some time to come together and refine things.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Not trying to be contrarian but we're supposed to believe Sheldon Keefe, who's body of work is coaching the Toronto Maple Leafs is going to have a better defensive structure than Lindy Ruff (a former defensemen known throughout his coaching career as a coach who relied on team defense to win games)?

Watching the Sabres' preseason media one of the reasons given for Buffalo hiring Ruff was to provide structure for their young but talented defensemen. This quote came from Scotty Bowman.

Several Leafs fans on this board spoke highly about Keefe’s defensive structure when we made the hire, and pointed to their frequent mish mosh defensive lineups and overall personnel against what Keefe accomplished for them defensively as points to his credit.

I obviously can’t speak to having watched it closely myself, but there were enough positive notes from that contingent in addition to the depth that we added this summer that I feel confident in what he will preach defensively.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Hey guys, I loath to talk about my personal life but I’ve been absent because my Mom recently passed away from Pancreatic Cancer. (And for those who remember Jerry Gigantic, he’s my older brother, so he’s also lost her.)

She had a heart attack in mid-April, had a MRI a week later because she had water in her lungs, and that’s how they discovered she had Stage 4 cancer.

And then she died 4 months later, so as you can imagine it was a very shitty whirlwind of medical catastrophes and struggles with our terrible medical system.

My mom was a pistol, just the best and we were very close, so this the biggest loss I’ve ever experienced.

She did get to attend her 60th Wedding Anniversary party in June while still pretty healthy, so that was good.

Anyway, not saying the Devils owe my family a winning season now, but it would be nice gesture on their part.

Also, I just got home, after spending months at my parents, and immediately got COVID. So that’s nice.

Incredibly sorry to hear this, hope that you and your family are able to find peace and comfort in such a tough time. It sounds as though she got to live a wonderful life to enjoy 60 years of marriage. And some wonderful children to boot.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

have you literally watched any games the last 2-3 years, of either team?

I can't fathom someone would have this take. Truly baffling.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland

As many others have said, my thoughts are with you and your family. ♥️ You are truly one of the better posters here and I hope you find lots of comfort from the Devils and this board this upcoming season. My dad died in summer 22' and I definitely spent more time here than ever before not only cause Devils were actually good but to distance myself from that.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011

I’m really sorry for your loss. Pancreatic cancer is just awful. My dad was diagnosed with it years ago but thankfully, it was caught extremely early and is being managed well (there’s no sign of it at this point). I wish you the strength to endure what I’m sure is an extremely difficult time.

You are one of the best posters in our community and I look forward to reading your insights. Hang in there!!

Reactions: Nubmer6 and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’m really sorry for your loss. Pancreatic cancer is just awful. My dad was diagnosed with it years ago but thankfully, it was caught extremely early and is being managed well (there’s no sign of it at this point). I wish you the strength to endure what I’m sure is an extremely difficult time.

You are one of the best posters in our community and I look forward to reading your insights. Hang in there!!
That's amazing to hear about your Dad. I'm glad he's doing well.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Condolences to you and your family

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Smiling through the pain of being robbed by Fitz. Poor guy
He won't realize it until he's playing for half of his worth in a couple of years....so now is the time to get back on the ice and for smiling.

After everyone gets their 8/9 million dollar contracts that 4.2 in 2027 is going to feel like hot spit in the face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad