Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Things are different this year for Matt Poitras.

Oh, the boyish grins are still there (he easily could be mistaken for a senior trying out for the Malden Catholic varsity), but there’s no longer any mystery surrounding the 20-year-old Bruins forward.

Poitras took training camp by storm last summer, first flashing with the rookies and then shining with the big boys.
He made the opening-night roster and continued to flourish to the point where the Bruins brass decided to keep him up rather than return him to his junior club. Stashing Poitras in Providence was not an option.

Along the way to becoming a big hit, Poitras absorbed his share of them, and eventually shoulder surgery cut short his campaign after 33 games.

“He caught us by surprise to some degree last year, and really until the injury was on target to stay with us,” said Bruins general manager Don Sweeney. “This year is a little different, where we have some options in terms of possibly playing some games in Providence.”

“His goal is to make the team and pick up where he left off. It might take a little bit of time for him to get reacclimated timing-wise and such.”

For the second straight camp, Poitras is out to prove he belongs.

“I want to be here,” said Poitras, who put on a noticeable 8 pounds during the offseason and is up to 189 on his 5-foot-11-inch frame. “I want to be able to show that I belong here and that they don’t have a choice, that they have to keep me here.”

Poitras is getting a look at both right wing and center after playing mostly center last season. He was on the right side with Trent Frederic at center and Cole Koepke on the left side on Wednesday. He centered David Pastrnak and Pavel Zacha on Thursday with top center Elias Lindholm taking a maintenance day.

“It’s good to get reps in at both,” Poitras said.

He made it clear either spot is fine with him.

“I’ve played wing in the past and I’m comfortable there,” said Poitras, who had five goals and 15 points last season. “Obviously it’s a little bit less skating than center, so it’s maybe reserving a bit more energy for playing offense, where I like to hold pucks down low and having more energy for that would be good.

“I’m ready to play wherever, whether it’s center or winger. It’s just wherever I fit in best.”

Poitras said an area of concentration for him is getting rid of the puck quicker when there isn’t a play to be made. He frequently took punishment from defenders when he kept possession too long.

“I think it’s just better decision-making around the red line and blue lines,” he said. “You don’t always have to make a play. I was the guy last year who always wanted to hold on to it and sometimes it would put me in a bad position to get hit and stuff like that.

“Also, I had a real long summer. I had three months where I was just lifting and not really skating. For me, it was just about putting on weight and lifting and not really having to worry about the hockey part.

“Then as the summer went on, just gaining as many reps with pucks as possible. When you don’t skate for three months, some of that stuff goes away a bit.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Also-

Captain Brad Marchand (elbow, groin, and sports hernia surgeries) and defensemen Alec Regula (knee surgery) and Jackson Edward (upper-body injury) skated before the early session . . . Montgomery said Lindholm will be back “soon” . . .

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Also-

Captain Brad Marchand (elbow, groin, and sports hernia surgeries) and defensemen Alec Regula (knee surgery) and Jackson Edward (upper-body injury) skated before the early session . . . Montgomery said Lindholm will be back “soon” . . .
Last year I went to camp and thought Regula looked good. What are your thoughts on him ?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Poitras is my guy. I hope they don’t send him to providence. I feel like if someone else won’t clear waivers they might send him just to manage their assets. Hopefully he is even better than last season and they have no choice but to keep him up. I don’t care if we lose a fringe player to waivers.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
He was pretty productive considering his age and health. Let’s hope a couple more seasons
Let's hope the team is good enough going forward that he can be eased down the line up and not be needed for as much ice time. Recchi style.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Bruins need to hit on one of their LW prospects and soon. Losing DeBrusk and potentially Marchand at some point in the next 2/3 seasons hurts the depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad