World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Slovenia came 7th and Latvia came 8th at the Olympics so why are you talking about Slovakia and Swiss?

Because they have far more talent than the Latvians or Slovenes.

And even if the 7th and 8th teams were up for debate, who but a meth junkie would replace them with a kiddie squad and the Euro Leftovers?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Because they have far more talent than the Latvians or Slovenes.

And even if the 7th and 8th teams were up for debate, who but a meth junkie would replace them with a kiddie squad and the Euro Leftovers?

Any one in their right mind would rather have Latvia and Slovenia than leftovers and canadian-american mix u23. But of course its clear that World Cup shouldn't use IIHF rankings as they can be piss poor and Slovakia and Swiss would be best choise if they were up to putting a real hockey tournament. Honorable mention for Latvians though, they still have solid national team and best fans in the world. They are respectable hockey nation and there is no way they would ruin World Cup.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Slovenia came 7th and Latvia came 8th at the Olympics so why are you talking about Slovakia and Swiss?

I'd prefer a proper qualification tournament but Switzerland and Slovakia are certainly better than Slovenia and Latvia per se, the Slovenian squad had players from the Czech, Russian and Swedish 2nd leagues and the French league.

All credit to them though, they played well.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I'd prefer a proper qualification tournament but Switzerland and Slovakia are certainly better than Slovenia and Latvia per se, the Slovenian squad had players from the Czech, Russian and Swedish 2nd leagues and the French league.

All credit to them though, they played well.

If IIHF would have hold it, they could have use world championship as a qualification tournament.

But well you do not have better players then your team preforms. But in one single tournament anything can happen. So I would rather look it over the last years team preformance when Im judging the nations strength.

Overall Slovakia and switzerland have better record, so if you would not have a qualification tournament, then I would have gone with them.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
The steam and shame of this will blow over once 2018 Olympics participation is announced.

Still doesn't rectify what a dumb idea this is and how no one will want to play on or cheer for Leftover Europe. National teams aren't something you can just throw together - that's what clubs are for. But I get it's the NHL's all-star invitational and they can do whatever they want, no matter how ill-advised.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I understand using the hyperbole, but really ... half of the German team???
Of the players on the 2014 World Cup squad only 2 were not born in Germany.
Miroslav Klose was born in Poland and came to Germany at the age of 6 or 7.
Lukas Podolski also born in Poland moved to Germany with his family at the age of 2, think.

You are really comparing playing for the country you grew up in to playing for a team like the one of leftover Europeans they want to create for the World Cup?

No I know I was exagerating with Germany but the point is a counterpoint to what most are saying which is that the euro leftovers team will have nothing to play for, and the U23 team wont want to play vs the crest. I personally think they will still want to play and play hard but whatever I am an optimist I suppose.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I personally think they will still want to play and play hard but whatever I am an optimist I suppose.
If they want to see this team play hard, they'll have to find the players who actually buy into the idea and feel enthusiastic about it, NOT the ones who are either simply paying it lip service or feel down right iffy about it but decide to go through the motions anyway.

Bottom line, there will not be having the cake and eating it too. Either you use every incentive there is to get all the big names to participate, but you will not see quality hockey as a result. Or you simply take those who buy into the idea and fill the holes with guys from minors who also buy into it, in which case you have a team that will play with some heart, but the skill level (not to mention the marketing value) won't be as high.

It's a catch 22 basically.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
2016 Leftovers All Europe World Cup team roster

Let's dedicate a thread on the leftover European team for the upcoming World Cup and discuss how the team would do.

Ok I'll shoot.

NOTE: Russia, Sweden, Finland and Czech Republic are excluded from the team. Only Slovakia, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Latvia, Norway and other smaller European hockey nations can be used to make a roster.

Here's my roster if I was the Leftover team GM,

Anze Kopitar, C- Slovenia, Los Angeles Kings
Marian Hossa, RW- Slovakia, Chicago Blackhawks
Tomas Vanek, LW, Austria, Minnesota Wild
Tomas Tatar, LW - Slovakia, Detroit Red Wings
Mats Zuccarello, RW, Norway, New York Rangers
Zemgus Girgensons, C, Latvia, Buffalo Sabres
Sergei Kostitsyn, LW, Belarus, Avangard Omsk
Frans Nielsen, C, Denmark, New York Islanders
Nino Neiderreiter, RW, Switzerland, Minnesota Wild
Michael Grabner, RW, Austria, New York Islanders
Mikhail Grabovski, C, Belarus, New York Islanders
Michael Raffl, LW, Austria, Philadelphia Flyers

Andrei Meszaros, D, Slovakia, Philadelphia Flyers
Andrej Sekera, D, Slovakia, Carolina Hurricanes
Zdeno Chara, D - Slovakia, Boston Bruins
Mark Streit, D - Switzerland, Philadelphia Flyers
Roman Josi, D - Switzerland, Nashville Predators
Christian Ehrhoff, D, Germany, Pittsburgh Penguins
Dennis Seidenberg, D, Germany, Boston Bruins

Jonas Hiller, G - Switzerland, Calgary Flames
Jaroslav Halak, G - Slovakia, New York Islanders
Fredrik Andersen, G - Denmark, Anaheim Ducks

Basically Slovakia is providing the most players. They provide 2 highly skilled forward in Hossa & Tatar and 3 solid NHL defenseman and Halak, who's leading the Islanders to a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Last edited:

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
Starting Line-up

Vanek-Kopitar-Hossa - very talented high skilled first line
Tatar-Girgensons-Zuccarello - pretty talented second line
Kostitsyn-Nielsen-Neiderreiter - nielsen would be a great 3rd defensive centre
Raffl-Grabovski-Grabner - speedy defensive line

Chara-Josi
Streit-Ehrhoff
Sekera-Seidenberg
Meszaros

Jaroslav Halak, starter
Jonas Hiller, backup
Fredrik Andersen, 3rd string

Offense is better than Slovakia, Finland and Czech Republic for sure. Defense is pretty solid. It's about as good as the big 6 nations. Goaltending is very solid also.

A roster like that could beat countries like Finland and Czech Republic and contend for a medal, imo.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Would be cool of they could fit Rendulic from Croatia in there. I think they need some younger guys like Ehlers fits the bill. I'd like a little more youth on D too, they can do better than Mezsaros.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Talented on paper, but would they give a damn seeing how they're playing for no one?
Guess only the players themselves will know. Some people seem to suggest professional pride, but we'll see how that translates to an environment where one is usually not asked to draw (only) from it.

For the benefit of the customer who wishes to pay for this sham, I do hope that they show up and put up a show. However, I still get the feeling that one is going to deal with one serious tradeoff between players taking this seriously and marketability.

If you want guys who play hard, you take only those who are completely willing to play for a team like this. If you want as many big names as possible, you'll use every incentive available to get at least those who appear to be iffy about it, but are straddling on fence regardless.

Of course, this may be a moot point if the proper NTs involved have to deal with the same issue... but we've argued enough about this IMO. Let's not go there.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
What an omission! :D Honestly, I hope they won't even show up for the team. It would be much better than if they did show up and played half-heartedly. And, perhaps it's not even psychologicaly possible to give it your all if you play on such a leftovers team that can have no real, passionate fans.

If they can't avoid the exhibition tourney officially, it's possible there will be a sudden outburst of lower-body injuries just before the event. I'd be OK with that. Whoever came up with this insane idea, deserves no better.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Talented on paper, but would they give a damn seeing how they're playing for no one?

Yes, that's a new thing for everybody, tough to say. This is without a doubt an interesting thing, while many people hate the idea, no one has really any experience with it, so who knows. From a fan perspective, it is interesting for me, even though, I would rather have Slovakia and the Swiss instead.

Last edited:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Yes, that's a new thing for everybody, tough to say. This is without a doubt an interesting thing, while many people hate the idea, no one has really any experience with it, so who knows. From a fan perspective, it is interesting for me, even though, I would rather have Slovakia and the Swiss instead.

Totally. Am I miffed about it though? No. I am intrigued. And I really think this team could come together. Maybe they wont but individuals have pride too. Maybe they'll lack that extra 1% to give for their country but they'll be a lot more talented than the alternative.

Just the fact that we are having this debate makes it a fun idea.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I can't really blame people who think it's interesting, in part I even agree. It is, in some perverse way at least. However, it would feel far less disjointed if all the teams in the tournament were collection ones. That way all players/teams would stand on equal footing going into this tournament. Now, some of them get to play for the crest they know and respect, while others... just don't. Bottom line, it's just not fair.

Maybe they'll lack that extra 1% to give for their country but they'll be a lot more talented than the alternative.
I believe the part you are referring to makes up far more than just a single percentage.

For the sake of the people who actually bought tickets to see this, let's hope they do retain some of that professional pride. Although, for the sake of Bettman and his cohorts, it's kinda easy at the same time to hope that they don't.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
For the sake of the people who actually bought tickets to see this, let's hope they do retain some of that professional pride. Although, for the sake of Bettman and his cohorts, it's kinda easy at the same time to hope that they don't.

No. If you are dumb enough to buy tickets for a joke tournament like this, it's your fault.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Guess only the players themselves will know. Some people seem to suggest professional pride, but we'll see how that translates to an environment where one is usually not asked to draw (only) from it.

How many of the will weigh professional pride vs risk of injury, and decide to just say no?

Imagine those euro all stars everyones drawn up but with 10 or so players opting out.
Will make the all star game's no-stars look like stars.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No. If you are dumb enough to buy tickets for a joke tournament like this, it's your fault.
Not very many may agree with the format, yours truly included, but what will ultimately decide whether it's a joke or not is the quality of the product.

So if the players show up giving it all they've got, even the mickey mouse teams, it's actually been money well spent. Not that I'm willing to give it significant odds of happening.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Here's my roster for the Europe team:

Gaborik-Kopitar-Tatar
Hossa-Grabovski-Vanek
Boedker-Nielsen-Zuccarello
Grabner-Girgensons-Eller
Neiderreiter/Roussel

Chara-Josi
Seidenberg-Ehrhoff
Sekera-Streit
Holzer

Andersen
Halak
Hiller

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I think Slovakia will certainly have a chance of boycotting. Swiss borderline, but Slovakia has way too much pride and history in this game to accept this treatment.

The NHL could still assemble a decent team sans Slovakia, there are enough NHLers remaining. I think there's just enough if the Swiss pull out too: 19 forwards, 3 defensemen and Andersen, Greiss and Zepp backstopping their goal. Passable if you can find 3 additional D-men somewhere.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Not very many may agree with the format, yours truly included, but what will ultimately decide whether it's a joke or not is the quality of the product.

So if the players show up giving it all they've got, even the mickey mouse teams, it's actually been money well spent. Not that I'm willing to give it significant odds of happening.

THe reality is more people will pay to watch the Euro stars or the U23s play then would pay to watch SLovakia or Swiss or Slovenia or Germany. The team's will have low expectations so if they don't win a game, it wont be a big deal but if they do win a few games it'll be a great storyline. So from that perspective it really can't be a failure. People who act like the whole tournament is ruined and that the hockey will all be garbage are speaking from a much too emotional state. I get your upset but from a rational point, the hockey itself will be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad