World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateHKY

Projected European All-Stars Roster

This squad’s most glaring weakness is down the middle. This is going to be a huge issue given how unbelievably stacked at centre teams from Canada, the United States, Sweden and pretty much every other team at the this tournament will be. Thankfully for this team, the glorious country of Slovenia’s only NHL players happens to be a true, number one centre who is capable of playing in all situations while also carrying the load offensively. In fact, the top two centres on this team both happen to be leading their respective NHL teams in short-handed ice time by centres this season, which means that this team wont be DOA when it comes to killing penalties against some of the world’s most elite goal scorers.

Article here: http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/uhn-│-world-cup-of-hockey-projected-european-all-stars-roster/

Who did I miss?

www.UltimateHockeyNetwork.com
@joshwald @UltimateHKY

Let us know if you have any interest contributing for us at UHN. We're always looking for more writers passionate about hockey! [email protected]

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Sweden got silver and Finland got bronze (against USA).

I don't think they are scared of any team.

I'm not sure if you've actually looked around the NHL, but the Finn's talent pool there isn't strong. Good goaltenders but the team will be made up of role players for the most part.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not sure if you've actually looked around the NHL, but the Finn's talent pool there isn't strong. Good goaltenders but the team will be made up of role players for the most part.
At the moment things look like this, yes, and how useful those potential European additions could be on small ice is anybody's guess - but there are some decent youngsters coming up. If guys like Teräväinen, Armia, Pulkkinen and others pan out next season, there won't be need to rely on role players so heavily.

And even if they don't, well... if the tournament is set up like this and thus viewed as a pre-season sideshow to coast through by the big names out there, it might just be the role players and other bottom feeders who actually bother to show up and play.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
At the moment things look like this, yes, and how useful those potential European additions could be on small ice is anybody's guess - but there are some decent youngsters coming up. If guys like Teräväinen, Armia, Pulkkinen and others pan out next season, there won't be need to rely on role players so heavily.

And even if they don't, well... if the tournament is set up like this and thus viewed as a pre-season sideshow to coast through by the big names out there, it might just be the role players and other bottom feeders who actually bother to show up and play.

I really hope so. I don't remember ever caring less for a tournament.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'm surprised Gary didn't give an old F-U by announcing a team like this...

Okposo Simmonds Iginla
Kane Stewart Stewart
Smith-Pelly Etem Duclair
Brown Ward Reaves

Subban Byfuglien
Daley Jones
Oduya Nurse

Emery
Subban

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't understand why the NHL just doesn't make a small rule up that allows 3-5 "non-NHL" players to be involved per team. It would allow countries like Switzerland, Slovakia to play and then we can abolish this stupid format

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't understand why the NHL just doesn't make a small rule up that allows 3-5 "non-NHL" players to be involved per team. It would allow countries like Switzerland, Slovakia to play and then we can abolish this stupid format
No need for a rule for, since there isn't a rule against. It's already been stated that countries can (and some will) dress players from other leagues.

The mickey mouse teams are more like the NHL's backdoor to said rule, or its lack thereof. That way, they ensure there won't be too many players from elsewhere skating around. Because that could *gasp* mean lost $$$.

Of course, there will be plenty of us who hope that these joke teams mean even more lost $$$. Would serve 'em right.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
No need for a rule for, since there isn't a rule against. It's already been stated that countries can (and some will) dress players from other leagues.
Just out of curiousity, how will that work?

European leagues usually start the season in early september, and i can't really see a lot of teams willing to release their better players for some goofy tournament in NA.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Case-by-case basis, I suppose.

A lot likely depends on how seriously various national federations wish to take this. If Russia for example wants to send a true best-on-best team, they won't pass on Kovalchuk and Radulov. Which will likely mean that other KHL clubs may be pressed as well to release anyone who got an invite.

However, the amount of players from leagues outside the NHL will be low overall - I'd say around 10-15 total, dressing for Russia, Finland and Czech Republic. So it actually won't be a huge strain on the leagues and they could pretty much keep on running as normal. Only a handful of select clubs would be missing players, and no more than one or two in technically all the cases. Guys in key positions, arguably, but nothing they couldn't bear with as long as the competition is on.

It could get a bit more hairy if Slovakia and Switzerland were included, since 3-5 would NOT be enough for them. They would more like need that 10-15 each. And that could put quite a strain on some clubs, admittedly.

Now, if this was proper international tournament (as in, no joke teams), I could see the European feds working out some kind of agreement with the leagues, but it's anybody's guess what it will be in its current state. Could be that some clubs simply shun the idea of having one of their key players spend a month overseas as a mannequin to an NHL cash grab. If the feds agree, they might then just decide to plug the few holes there are from the NA minor leagues.

Last edited:

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
It could get a bit more hairy if Slovakia and Switzerland were included, since 3-5 would NOT be enough for them. They would more like need that 10-15 each. And that could put quite a strain on some clubs, admittedly.
No clue for Slovakia, but you'd have to delay (or rather postbone) the season here in Switzerland if this would be the case, as some of the top teams would have to replace entire lines for the duration of that tournament.

Altough i think that would be perfectly feasible if it was a real tournament (like you said, no joke teams).

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No clue for Slovakia, but you'd have to delay (or rather postbone) the season here in Switzerland if this would be the case, as some of the top teams would have to replace entire lines for the duration of that tournament.
A Slovak who reads this thread is free to correct me, but I don't see any players from their Extraliga making their current best-on-best team - or one iced a year and a half from now. The Slovakian team would most likely be about 50-50 NHL/KHL team.

Of the other European top leagues, Liiga would be represented by 1-2 players max. Maybe none. Elitserien wouldn't lose a single Swede, but I'm not 100% certain none of their foreigners would interest any of the teams. Still, the inclusion of Slovakia and Switzerland would most likely cause special arrangements in two leagues only - KHL and NLA.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
A Slovak who reads this thread is free to correct me, but I don't see any players from their Extraliga making their current best-on-best team - or one iced a year and a half from now. The Slovakian team would most likely be about 50-50 NHL/KHL team.

Of the other European top leagues, Liiga would be represented by 1-2 players max. Maybe none. Elitserien wouldn't lose a single Swede, but I'm not 100% certain none of their foreigners would interest any of the teams. Still, the inclusion of Slovakia and Switzerland would most likely cause special arrangements in two leagues only - KHL and NLA.

Exactly. Maybe someone from the Czech league and also Viedensky from Liiga, I think.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal

Who's gonna be the coaching staff and "general manager" of this team?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

European leagues usually start the season in early september, and i can't really see a lot of teams willing to release their better players for some goofy tournament in NA.

Pro leagues around the world will realize the importance of this tournament and will not only release, but encourage participation in Team Extra. :laugh:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Who's gonna be the coaching staff and "general manager" of this team?
You referring to the hypothetical Team Slovakia, or Team Leftovers?

If the former, Vladimir Vujtek and Otto Sykora, I guess, unless their contracts were to run out before the event.

If the latter... *shrug*. We'll see. If I were to guess, I could see them going to try and get on board some Euro names from the countries involved. And if I go on daydream mode, every name worth his salt will flip 'em a bird, forcing them to go for a pair of washed-out hacks who'll make the audience go all "who?"... or they simply decide to set up some NA names to staff it. Either outcome would further expose the joke for what it is.

Last edited:

jka*

Niederaiter, Hossa, Gaborik, Josi etc. great players from Europe outside Rus, Cze, Swe and Fin the top four best teams in Europe plus Kopitar I say so Europe All Star is pure class team with right team in Tournament. I named five best players outside Rus, Cze, Swe and Fin.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
In an interview with Marian Hossa
Slovakia will be part of a mixed team at the 2016 World Cup, would you play for it?
"I have mixed feelings about it. I can't imagine playing for such a team. I don't know who's anthem they would play if we would win. There would be top players in the cabin, but I don't know if that would motivate me. It makes sense to play for your own country. This (mixed team) does not give me the needed impulse."

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
This tournament format has revealed that Gary Bettman, Donald Fehr, and their cronies do not understand there business.
This format is so dumb that it has surpassed the loser point in dumb sports ideas.
The NHL top personnel are not aware that the reason why sports fans are interested in an All-star tournament such as Olympics/World cup is the fact that the players play with passion for there country not just any All-Star team. Players and fans are passionate to there club teams but are also passionate about there country/culture. This passion comes out in these meaningful World Cup type events. The passion from the fans and players is what makes a sporting event interesting. Players diving in front of pucks and fans cheering and booing after each shot is what makes a game interesting. Yes, the best players in the world playing in the game will add to the event but without passion the game means nothing. For example what is a better game to watch USA vs Canada (in a real Tournament) or Team Foligno vs Team Toews (In a meaningless ASG). This is no contest. Both games have great players but the missing ingredient is passion. Passion is different from rooting interest. You can have a rooting interest by betting on a game of checkers. But passion is infectious. Passion for a club or country brings people together and gives them a feeling of euphoria after a big win. Look at those European or South American soccer fans during a world cup event. They bleed emotion with every kick. Ice hockey could also have a great WORLD CUP with a proper qualifier. USA vs Russia or Canada gives hockey fans across the country the emotional intense feeling that a local club hockey fan feels during a NHL playoff event. The Games that involve Slovakia, Denmark and Slovenia may not have the NHL star power but they still can produce thrilling hockey games. NHL executives do not understand the passion the Euro fan of these countries has for there countries. And that this passion is the fuel for thrilling hockey games. The lower rank countries need to be involve in the world cup experience for the tournament to be considered legitimate and in my opinion successful.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Well said. And to teach them this lesson, the best "Leftover" team players should boycott this silly Mickey Mouse event. :rant:

If you want to make a tourney for top 6 countries, then make a tourney for top 6 countries. Just don't pretend it's a "World Cup". And don't mix up national teams with all-star teams.

The 2016 setup is beyond stupid.

jka*

Offensive
Niederreiter (Sui) - Kopitar (Slo) - Gaborik (Svk)
Tatar (Svk) - Nielsen (Den) - Hossa (Svk)
Vanek (Aus) - Grabner (Aus) - Roussel (Fra)
Boedker (Den) - Eller (Den) - Zuccarello (Nor)

Defense
Chara (Svk) - Visnovsky (Svk)
Josi (Sui) - Streit (Sui)
Ehrhoff (Ger) - Seidenberg (Ger)

Goalies
Hiller (Sui)
Halak (Svk)
Andersen (Den)

My team for Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad