World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
And who do the juniors play for at the WJC?

Who will they be playing for at the world cup?

Answer that and you'll be a step closer to figuring out this whole national team thing and why its rather important to international sports.

Have you seen them play on their club teams?

Don't give me this boring idea that these tremendously competetive kids are now gonna cry because they aren't good enough for their full national squads but yet they still get to play in a world tournament. These kids are going to be extatic to play. I know as a Canadian theyll love it. Sure its not the national team but its the next best thing and considering 90%+ of them wont have made the mens team, its the only thing. There will be no issue with motivation on the young stars team I guarantee that.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Just out of curiosity. Do you have a source for this. Some kind of poll or statement from the German ice hockey federation, or German players or something?
This is an honest question, because I could barely find any mention of the new World Cup anywhere in the German media, much less any responses from people involved with German hockey.

That is why at this point I would say Germany just doesn't care.
Will the German NHL players care if they are invited? I don't know. They might.

Personally I won't care enough about the tournament to look for streams to watch any of it, but I will probably check for boxscores the next day.

Haha such a German question.

No polls, just simply going by the fact you would have not had a team involved and now you will have players involved and therefore a team to cheer for. Maybe you still wont watch but guarantee there will be many who tune in because there are German stars involved.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Seems to me that Canadians hate it as much as Finns. Also, Swedes seem to hate it as well. What are you basing your fantastically ignorant comment on?

Canadians love it. So do Americans I've talked to. The only reason Finns and Swedes wouldnt like it as you say is if they fear these teams would beat them.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Canadians love it. So do Americans I've talked to. The only reason Finns and Swedes wouldnt like it as you say is if they fear these teams would beat them.

Wow. You have no idea. Sorry, but you're not giving an opinion here, you're being ignorant. By all means, keep your opinion, but comments like that... No. Just no.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Fan certainly don't get robbed team U23 and team Euro have way more talent that Slovakia and Switzerland so the competition will be higher.
Given some players will decline, it's unlikely the YoungGunz and Euro Leftovers will be any more talented the Slovakia and Switzerland. And that's not even taking things like chemistry or intensity into account.

Why not let them all take part in this one off style tournament where a qualifying tournament is not possible.
A qualifying tournament was definitely possible, they just choose to not have one.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012

Congratulations on making a complete fool of yourself.

punchonico99

Jan 2, 2014
Quebec
Break down

Canada loves it
Usa loves it
Sweden loves it
Russia loves it
Finland likes it but might be scared these two all star teams might beat them
Czech same as above
Swiss hate it
Slovakia hate it
Slovenia love it
Latvia like it
Belarus like it
Austria like it
Germany like it

Thats a pretty happy bunch

I doubt Russia and Finland like it, they won't be able to have their KHL players such as Radulov, Kovalchuk, Tikhonov, Kontiola, Hietanen and others. Or will they?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
I'm sure Belarusians love the fact their best players will not even be good enough to even make an already marginal team. :facepalm:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Sweden got silver and Finland got bronze (against USA).

I don't think they are scared of any team.

Nor do I. The previous poster had made a insinuated that Swedes and Finns are not happy about a team Euro competing. Seemed the only reason why.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Have you seen them play on their club teams?

Don't give me this boring idea that these tremendously competetive kids are now gonna cry because they aren't good enough for their full national squads but yet they still get to play in a world tournament. These kids are going to be extatic to play. I know as a Canadian theyll love it. Sure its not the national team but its the next best thing and considering 90%+ of them wont have made the mens team, its the only thing. There will be no issue with motivation on the young stars team I guarantee that.

You're somehow still not grasping what these events are about.

At these events players represent their country. At the league level they represent their club/city.

This mickey mouse world cup team will represent NOTHING.

Maybe you should ask Nathan MacKinnon if he'd like to play against Canada, or Jack Eichel if he'd like to play against USA.

The players will do as they're told but no one will take any pride in suiting up for the most stupid squad in hockey history.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Nor do I. The previous poster had made a insinuated that Swedes and Finns are not happy about a team Euro competing. Seemed the only reason why.

We are unhappy because it makes the whole tournament seem like a giant turd. We respect Switzerland's and Slovakia's teams and think they should be in the tournament. Their omission makes this as interesting as the EHT.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Well, you know that maybe all of us have sometimes imagined in our minds what it would be like to see these types of teams (young all star + the best of the rest from Europe with players like Kopitar, Boedker, Zuccarelo, etc.) against Russia, Finland, etc. and I think it could be interesting, maybe. And I am for it to try it once, but honestly I hope they will return to that 04 format with 8 national teams, I think that is the best option, it should be an international competition after all.

The second thing I want to point at is, that, in my opinion, whether the tournament is won by Russia, USA, Canada, or Sweden, I think that win should be still taken seriously, if you clearly see that the players do take it seriously, I don't know why a Russian or American fan should be any less happy if they beat the other nations while the other nations are trying their really best? I think it's fair.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
Care to explain?

You are stating completely idiotic assumptions in a self confident way without any proof, statistics or logical analyzis. You having a misinformed opinion does not change the facts or reality of the situation.

You are just arbitrarily stating things as fact, without even having anything to back it up. Then you have the audacity to claim falshoods as truths, in a bold-faced way I might add. Ergo you are making a complete fool of yourself.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
You are stating completely idiotic assumptions in a self confident way without any proof, statistics or logical analyzis. You having a misinformed opinion does not change the facts or reality of the situation.

You are just arbitrarily stating things as fact, without even having anything to back it up. Then you have the audacity to claim falshoods as truths, in a bold-faced way I might add. Ergo you are making a complete fool of yourself.

That is what everyone here is doing. Are you arguing with facts? No. THere are no facts regarding this situation it's all hypothetical because this situation has never happened before.

Please do not go into the Streit or that agents quote because obv Kopitar and Halak have positive quotes. Those would be the only facts as you put it.

Also the name calling is a bit much, I know your passionate, as am I but please try to hold back, it doesn't help anything.

Last edited:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
You're somehow still not grasping what these events are about.

At these events players represent their country. At the league level they represent their club/city.

This mickey mouse world cup team will represent NOTHING.

Maybe you should ask Nathan MacKinnon if he'd like to play against Canada, or Jack Eichel if he'd like to play against USA.

The players will do as they're told but no one will take any pride in suiting up for the most stupid squad in hockey history.

Sure it's not ideal but neither would make the full team anyway, so it's better than not taking part. Having said that these international tournaments are riddled with expatriate players. I remember the Swiss having a few Canadians play for them in the past.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Sure it's not ideal but neither would make the full team anyway, so it's better than not taking part. Having said that these international tournaments are riddled with expatriate players. I remember the Swiss having a few Canadians play for them in the past.

Nobody is arguing against expats players .

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

What would be ideal would be for it to be national teams only, namely Slovakia and Switzerland. So simple.

Whether players are native born or not, they're free to play for Switzerland or whoever else. Its still a national team.

U23s or team leftover are allstar game travesties and render the world cup worthless. So needless.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
What would be ideal would be for it to be national teams only, namely Slovakia and Switzerland. So simple.

Whether players are native born or not, they're free to play for Switzerland or whoever else. Its still a national team.

U23s or team leftover are allstar game travesties and render the world cup worthless. So needless.

While it is kind of gimmicky it is hyperbole to suggest the World Cup is "worthless" now. Team euro will be fun to watch, as will U23. As a one off im ok with it. The best team will still win.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Again you really need to read more about this tournament. You don't understand it.

It is put on by both the NHL and NHLPA. Therefore the owners and players have already agreed to it.

Individual players don't have to agree with everything the NHLPA does - there is a long history of this. I am all for generating more income for my employer - and by extension for myself. That doesn't change the fact that there are still limits to what I would do to achieve that goal.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
For me the bottom line is that I just cannot envision Slovak players (or Swiss for that matter) giving any more effort for this Frankenstein team than they would for the NHL all-star game. That is why it will be a failure.

There will be none of the heart or the fight displayed by the bronze medal winning Slovak team this year at the World Junior Championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad