World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
This is really dishonest. Czech Republic won the WHC -99, -00, and -01 following their Olympic gold, without Hasek on the team a single time of those. They had a really good generation then.

For example, one of those "Czech league players" was Milan Hejduk, who would score 48 pts in the NHL the next season.

I 100% agree, top players from European leagues are often way better than mid-pack NHL players on the international scene. If you put together a decent group of guys with chemistry and you have the right kind of coach for them, you can achieve great results. Czech and Slovak Republics have shown it multiple times for example Slovakia's silver medal in WC 2012, or 4th place in Vancouver 2010 when we had a lot of players from European leagues. That's why I have an opinon that Slovakia and Switzerland would be way better choices for World Cup than U23 and Team EU.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Expecting somebody to bring an EU flag and wave it is rather comical :D

There are some issues with bringing the EU flag that you might not have taken into account. Switzerland, Norway and Belarus are not members of the European Union.

The whole tournament is garbage. It wasn't broken. Is insulting to not only the Slovak's and Swiss but to to up and coming Scandinavian nations, Germany, Belorussia and Latvia. They've made great strides and could all beat any one of the original "elite six".

Yet they have absolutely no chance of winning the tournament. That's why I think there's no need to include Denmark, Norway, Belarus or Latvia in a tournament like this. You get to see more games between top countries in the round robin when you don't include teams like those. I'd much rather watch games like Canada-Sweden and USA-Russia than games like Canada-Germany and USA-Belarus in the round robin.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
This is really dishonest. Czech Republic won the WHC -99, -00, and -01 following their Olympic gold, without Hasek on the team a single time of those. They had a really good generation then.

For example, one of those "Czech league players" was Milan Hejduk, who would score 48 pts in the NHL the next season.
That's nice what they did in the WHC. The fact of the matter is that when it was best against best, he stopped 82 of the final 84 shots faced against USA, Canada and the Russians in 190 minutes of the medal round. 2 goals against.

He was part if the team and because of that they deserved to win. It's my opinion that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It's simple, the Soviet Championship was played in mostly Russian cities and the only non-Russian teams were Dinamo Riga, Dinamo Minsk, Sokol Kiev, and very briefly after WWII Spartak Kaunas. The players and staff were mostly ethnic Russians while Riga was mainly Latvian. The KHL currently considers Belarusians as non-imports, so they play there mostly. Ukrainian hockey a had brief period of renaissance when Donbass Donetsk played in the VHL and later KHL and also the Ukrainian league had a growing tendency in pre-Maidan period. Kazakh league is growing, but the conditions there are iffy...read Danton's blog about his time there. The story of Donetsk is especially sad, because they were a very like-able team in the K. I got to like their team with Fedotenko as captain and also their fans when they played in Bratislava in their last season, when we provided them asylum when the war was starting. Then the rebels burnt their arena because their owner was neither Russian nor Ukrainian, but he was a Tatar who supported united Ukraine and provided money to clear off separatists' road blocks and helped the policemen loyal to Kiev. They were also building a beautiful 12,000 seat arena and had plans to build an NHL-sized arena until 2018. All of it is now history since western and eastern imperialism use Donbass as their chess board.

Really interesting. Thanks for that!

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Seeing this, I can't understand how this team is gonna make the tournament more competitive, when you remember that Sui/Slo have an established system in the NT that the players know, chemistry from previous tournaments etc.

I mean, is Eller and Zuccarello a big upgrade from KHL/Slovak league players (sorry Slovak posters, but the name of your league slips my mind). And that defensive core is barely better than what Switzerland can put up themselves (sure Chara is a big upgrade, but Visnovsky and Sekera are replaceable by Swiss players). It all seems to be a knee-jerk reaction because Kopitar is so popular.

You're very mistaken.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
If you are a Slovak or a Swiss I would say just play in the tournament. Get behind your boys. Play for the pride of each country you represent, knowing that you are helping to grow the world brand of hockey and do your best to stick it to Betman or whomever you are mad at by winning the tournament and proving them wrong.

Once that is done, start developing players, Swiss are getting better and Slovaks are getting worse. The golden generation is gone, work at developing another one because we know this format won't stick.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
If you are a Slovak or a Swiss I would say just play in the tournament. Get behind your boys. Play for the pride of each country you represent, knowing that you are helping to grow the world brand of hockey and do your best to stick it to Betman or whomever you are mad at by winning the tournament and proving them wrong.

Once that is done, start developing players, Swiss are getting better and Slovaks are getting worse. The golden generation is gone, work at developing another one because we know this format won't stick.
The Slovak's just won bronze at the U20s. Hopefully a sign off things to come.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Team Canada gets to pay for Canada. Team USA gets to play for the United States. Team Finland gets to play for Finland. Team Russia gets to play for Russia.

Team Leftovers gets to play for... the "growth of the world brand of hockey".

Translation: They get to play for the glory of the N-H-L.

Also, jaysus the logic of you navel-gazers. If the point is to prove that they can be self-respecting hockey countries in and of itself, how in the heck does one get to that conclusion if they very much don't do it by themselves?

C'mon, I'm sure you can make those words sounds even less believable and more hollow if you try. You can do it!

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
The "lesser nations" needs regular competition. That´s how they become better during time.
Imagine the world with Olympics without NHLers, WCH ignored by the most of N-Americans players and World Cup with top 6 countries.
In one generation or two we would have hockey as marginal "weird" sport played by ... just look at women hockey. That´s what these guys want to see in future? Because what they do leads exactly to that.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The "lesser nations" needs regular competition. That´s how they become better during time.
Imagine the world with Olympics without NHLers, WCH ignored by the most of N-Americans players and World Cup with top 6 countries.
In one generation or two we would have hockey as marginal "weird" sport played by ... just look at women hockey. That´s what these guys want to see in future? Because what they do leads exactly to that.

A good point. Seriously what's wrong with Bettman?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

You're right. Ofc we have youtube and alot of televisioning from NHL ect but getting to play against the tops is still what teaches you most, i'd be ready to bet.. some times old ways are better than bag of new stuff

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
I was shocked to find only 3 players in the NHL born in the former USSR not born in Russia! Girgensons, Grabovski and Komorov who was born in Estonia but represents Finland internationally.
Grabovski wasn't born in the former USSR.

It's simple, the Soviet Championship was played in mostly Russian cities and the only non-Russian teams were Dinamo Riga, Dinamo Minsk, Sokol Kiev, and very briefly after WWII Spartak Kaunas. The players and staff were mostly ethnic Russians while Riga was mainly Latvian.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but Sokol Kiev wasn't a majority of ethnic Russians. If anything there were more ethnic Russians in Riga.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

And they will get it. It just so happens they don't have 4 yrs to prepare for this tournament. They only have 1 yr to organize everything. This was a way to include every country. Sure its kind of gimicky but youll see the likes of Germany, Estonia, Slovenia, Austria, Latvia, Belarus participate and in that way they are hoping to grow the game.

If they just included the top 8 teams by IIHF rankings the smaller nations would feel robbed. The "lesser nations" need regualr competition as you suggest so why not just freeze them out of the tournament altogether. You are actually suggesting that?

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
If they just included the top 8 teams by IIHF rankings the smaller nations would feel robbed.

Instead they give us a format by which everyone feels robbed.

Slovakia and Switzerland are robbed of a deserved place in the tournament.

Canada and USA are robbed of their best U-23 players.

Players are robbed of their dignity by having to play on U23 kiddie and Euro leftover teams.

And fans are robbed of a genuine best-on-best event.

The smaller nations didn't feel robbed in 1996 or 2004 so there's no reason why there'd feel overly jilted this time around.

With the Slovaks and Swiss this would be a legitimate event. With the joke teams it's a total farce.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Instead they give us a format by which everyone feels robbed.

Slovakia and Switzerland are robbed of a deserved place in the tournament.

Canada and USA are robbed of their best U-23 players.

Players are robbed of their dignity by having to play on U23 kiddie and Euro leftover teams.

And fans are robbed of a genuine best-on-best event.

The smaller nations didn't feel robbed in 1996 or 2004 so there's no reason why there'd feel overly jilted this time around.

With the Slovaks and Swiss this would be a legitimate event. With the joke teams it's a total farce.

Slovakia and Switzerland are partially robbed but they will still have their best players there.

Canada has no players U23 that would make their team. USA might have 3 but the drop of is nil. Both not robbed and in fact benefit from having their developing stars play in such a high level tournament.

Anyone given the honor of playing in the tournament as a U23 will be grateful. These are kids that 90% of them can't make the full national team but will get to compete and show themselves for future tournaments. Not Robbed

Euro team can choose to feel their dignity is lost but they don't have to. They are still representing their individual countries and theyll be on a good team that can win some games. National pride isn't the only thing to play for.

Fan certainly don't get robbed team U23 and team Euro have way more talent that Slovakia and Switzerland so the competition will be higher.

1996 and 2004 aren't really a good measuring stick. The brand is growing globally. Their is more diversity in the players now than ever before and it grows each yr. Why not let them all take part in this one off style tournament where a qualifying tournament is not possible.

I dont think the event is a farce. That is my opinion and each will have his own.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Slovakia and Switzerland are partially robbed but they will still have their best players there.

Partially robbed? Their national teams are excluded. Having their countries "represented" on some mickey mouse Euro squad is just adding insult to injury.

If Canada has any U23s ready for the national team (MacKinnon perhaps) then they should be on the national team. These same rules in 2010 would have excluded Crosby, Toews and Doughty. It might only be shere depth that keeps Canada from being hurt by Bettman's lunacy this time around. Team USA will not be as lucky.

Any event that steals players from national teams for the sake of some joke U23 team is indeed a farce.

Anyone given the honor of playing in the tournament as a U23 will be grateful.

Greatful for the opportunity to represent their age group and play against their own country? Anyone who feels compelled to play on this abomination of a team will feel awkward as hell.

National pride isn't the only thing to play for.

At the international level that is ALL you play for.

It feels weird having to point that out.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Partially robbed? Their national teams are excluded. Having their countries "represented" on some mickey mouse Euro squad is just adding insult to injury.

If Canada has any U23s ready for the national team (MacKinnon perhaps) then they should be on the national team. These same rules in 2010 would have excluded Crosby, Toews and Doughty. It might only be shere depth that keeps Canada from being hurt by Bettman's lunacy this time around. Team USA will not be as lucky.

Any event that steals players from national teams for the sake of some joke U23 team is indeed a farce.

Greatful for the opportunity to represent their age group and play against their own country? Anyone who feels compelled to play on this abomination of a team will feel awkward as hell.

At the international level that is ALL you play for.

It feels weird having to point that out.

Ya for U23 there are players on the bubble and luckily this "one off" tournament won't effect USA or Canada that much. Even if MacKinnon was unreal from now till the tournament that would be one player, Canada cut Giroux, Stamkos, Staal, Seguin didn't go to Sochi so as a Canadian we will feel no loss and I know our U23 players will be honoured to play on that team because it will give them more exposure, and more international experience which will help them make their national teams one day.

USA may miss a couple of players but there are no superstars. Trouba might make it say, but Byfuglien will make it instead not much loss there. Jones, maybe, doubt he's good enough, Galchenyuk not good enough, Saad maybe 4th line but Callahan is prob better. There is really no glaring ommisions from either team and you can bet that was why this format was even considered.

So please stop suggestion players picked for the U23 team who would otherwise be swinging golf clubs will somehow be "butt hurt" they have to play in this tournament. These kids will love the challenge, its why we love the WJC because young players bring passion and love of the game itself.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Im not saying its not a little crazy but why people cant grasp the fact that the NHL worked with the NHLPA to organize this last minute for the fans (and their own pockets obv) and it will be a treat to watch. It'll be a little different sure. Maybe it will be a mistake but there really wont be any losers except maybe 7th ranked Slovakia didn't get a chance to finish 6th.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Break down

Canada loves it
Usa loves it
Sweden loves it
Russia loves it
Finland likes it but might be scared these two all star teams might beat them
Czech same as above
Swiss hate it
Slovakia hate it
Slovenia love it
Latvia like it
Belarus like it
Austria like it
Germany like it

Thats a pretty happy bunch

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
Break down

Canada loves it
Usa loves it
Sweden loves it
Russia loves it
Czech same as above
Swiss hate it
Slovakia hate it
Slovenia love it
Latvia like it
Belarus like it
Austria like it
Germany like it

Seems to me that Canadians hate it as much as Finns. Also, Swedes seem to hate it as well. What are you basing your fantastically ignorant comment on?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Break down

Canada loves it
Usa loves it
Sweden loves it
Russia loves it
Czech same as above
Swiss hate it
Slovakia hate it
Slovenia love it
Latvia like it
Belarus like it
Austria like it
Germany like it

Just out of curiosity. Do you have a source for this. Some kind of poll or statement from the German ice hockey federation, or German players or something?
This is an honest question, because I could barely find any mention of the new World Cup anywhere in the German media, much less any responses from people involved with German hockey.

That is why at this point I would say Germany just doesn't care.
Will the German NHL players care if they are invited? I don't know. They might.

Personally I won't care enough about the tournament to look for streams to watch any of it, but I will probably check for boxscores the next day.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
I actually like the idea of European All-Star Team but the Slovaks should have their own, how insulting. Denmark, Germany and Switzerland, Austria (all connected through Germany) could form a great team. +Kopitar.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
These kids will love the challenge, its why we love the WJC because young players bring passion and love of the game itself.

And who do the juniors play for at the WJC?

Who will they be playing for at the world cup?

Answer that and you'll be a step closer to figuring out this whole national team thing and why its rather important to international sports.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
I actually like the idea of European All-Star Team but the Slovaks should have their own, how insulting. Denmark, Germany and Switzerland, Austria (all connected through Germany) could form a great team. +Kopitar.
................:help:
What an ignorant statement. Please read up on European history.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Break down

Canada loves it
Usa loves it
Sweden loves it
Russia loves it
Czech same as above
Swiss hate it
Slovakia hate it
Slovenia love it
Latvia like it
Belarus like it
Austria like it
Germany like it

Where did you come up with all that? Not true at all. Finns (including the NT's management team) hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad