World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Ok now you are just getting crazy. NHL regular season games have more viewers than the Spengler cup.

I'm really not. Either it's real National team competition or not. It's gonna be watchable hockey and the Quality of play might be solid when 6 real teams play. But the gold will be meaningless, not like real World Cup gold. The IIHF World Championships will actually hold higher value in importance of the games. It's actually sad, because NHL could have easily make this one to be more important. Just leave the joke teams out, even six teams would be better, but 8 would make more sense.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Look I understand how this could be frustrating if your country isn't in it. But understand that this isn't just an NHL tournament.

My country is in it. But I couldn't care less - I'm sure I'll watch some games, but this is really an All-Star tournament which is of course good clean fun if you don't expect serious hockey. Hopefully everyone will do their best to avoid injuries and one hopes that the European circus team will have at least some semblance of an attitude (would not blame them for total coasting though).

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'm particularly looking forward to Chara's comments on this joke tournament.

rus-svk-200512-27-BK5Y8108.jpg

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm really not. Either it's real National team competition or not. It's gonna be watchable hockey and the Quality of play might be solid when 6 real teams play. But the gold will be meaningless, not like real World Cup gold.
This, so very much. Just think about the broader narrative a bit... what people will recall, when somebody mentions said event years from now.

1972 Summit Series - It's remembered as the first legendary meeting of great rivals, definining moment being the Esposito goal in the waning moments of game eight.

1980 Olympics - Miracle on Ice. 'Nuff said.

1987 Canada Cup - Great hockey. Wayne and Mario putting up a show.

1998 Olympics - First best-on-best Olympics. The unbreakable Dominik Hasek.

2010 Olympics - Great hockey, legendary final between Canada and USA. Defining moment, the Crosby OT winner.

2016 World Cup - There was some great hockey, yeah. Who won? Canada... maybe? If you're a hockey nut, you may recall. But everybody will remember it for the bud Bettman and his pals smoked while brainstorming for the tournament format.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I've seen a few soccer comparisons so here's one of my own.

I would love to see Canada compete alongside say the rest of the North American countries barring USA, Mexico, Costa Rica. If we put an all star team together and it meant that the top Canadian players got to play in a major tournament I would be all for it. And as a Canadian I would follow that team and support that team to the end.

There is still pride on the line. You talk about being proud to be from a certain nation and that is what you play for well you are still representing that nation if you are Kopitar or Hossa or whomever so why not have pride in that.

The suggestions of boycotting are so childish.

Yeah here is the thing, Canada in soccer is just not comparable to Slovakia or Switzerland in hockey. On a good day I know we can beat any team. Sure luck needs to be involved but we have proven it over almost 10 years now. And I am sure the Slovaks feel the exact same way.

So why would I care or cheer for an European All-Star team that futures maybe 4 Swiss players max? It is just a joke and really disrespectful against the countries sitting in that 7th and 8th spot.

I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe it has been brought up before but here are some quotes from Mark Streit and I couldn't agree more: http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ne-flyer-happy-new-world-cup-format/22192403/

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
First: I feel insulted as a Slovak hockey fan.
Second: The Slovak ice-hockey association should officialy prostest this tournament or something like that.
Third and mostly: I do believe, nonono, I do know, that the most of eligible slovak players - probably all of them - will boycott this tournament. Suddenly they start to be injured, families, whatever.

Book it.
"I would say if it was 10 years ago it would be upsetting because 10 years ago we had a lot of guys in the NHL," said Jaroslav Halak, the New York Islanders goaltender and a native of Slovakia. "Right now, we got maybe 12. So that would be tough to make a team out of 12 guys. Obviously you need 20. It will be different to see (a Team Europe) but at the same time I’m open to it. It would be nice to play with some other players from different countries."

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
"I would say if it was 10 years ago it would be upsetting because 10 years ago we had a lot of guys in the NHL," said Jaroslav Halak, the New York Islanders goaltender and a native of Slovakia. "Right now, we got maybe 12. So that would be tough to make a team out of 12 guys. Obviously you need 20. It will be different to see (a Team Europe) but at the same time I’m open to it. It would be nice to play with some other players from different countries."

I think he is right. I am more angry at our hockey federation and mainly people responsible for what has become of our hockey, than at the actual format.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It isn't a gimmick

It's the epitome of a gimmick and par for the NHL's course.

they want more NHL talent playing in the tournament. This will increase the quality of the product offered.

:help: I can't imagine the mental gymnastics required to possibly believe that ignoring a talent pool increases the overall quality. All the talent in the NHL+all the talent not in the NHL>Just all the talent in the NHL. Not debatable.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Well if everybody agrees on Winner getting the same glory than from Olympics or last world cups then there's no reason to want to win it. I'm just being little sceptical..

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well if everybody agrees on Winner getting the same glory than from Olympics or last world cups then there's no reason to want to win it. I'm just being little sceptical..
When all has been said and done, there will be a trophy, and there will be a lucky player who gets to hoist said trophy over his head.

However, what will read on said trophy? Is it going to be the name of a country? I'd say the odds are very good that yes, it will, but even the possibility that instead the plaque will read "Team Europe" or "Team Young Stars" is enough of an insult to the sport itself that seriously, no self-respecting hockey player, expert or fan can put much weight on it.

Hell, by definition, it's not even international competition. Because that means exactly what it says on the tin, a competition between various nations. This... thing... will include two teams that do not represent any nation in any capacity. And if it's not really an international competition, the value of winning it - at least when compared to the olympics or earlier World/Canada Cups - is going to be pretty much zero.

I've no doubt it will provide a few night's worth of entertainment to any hockey fan who bothers to tune in, grumblingly or not. But if somebody tries to pretend it's going to have any lasting worth, be something people still look back fondly even after years have passed... well, yeah, no.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Also we can stop the talk about players boycotting, it just makes people look foolish. No players will boycott this event. It is put on between the NHLPA and NHL.

You realize that even back in the Canada Cup and World Cup days there were occasions when players who said "no thanks" to the tournament? And that was a tournament much less controversial than the one ahead.

If you did you would realize that the NHLPA signed off on this and is a partner. These players that you think are so offended by this have agreed to this format.

The players have not agreed, their representatives have. Or do you think the NHLPA called every player and asked him for his approval before signing the agreement?

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
I dont get all the fuzz.

They decided to make the "World Cup" some kind of invitational pre-season tournament no one will really care about. They will bloat it up in NA and the rest of the world probably won't watch it.

Yes, as a swiss im insulted aswell, but it's not like that would be the first outright ignorant thing an organisation comes up with, just to make a few more bucks.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
This, so very much. Just think about the broader narrative a bit... what people will recall, when somebody mentions said event years from now.

1972 Summit Series - It's remembered as the first legendary meeting of great rivals, definining moment being the Esposito goal in the waning moments of game eight.

1980 Olympics - Miracle on Ice. 'Nuff said.

1987 Canada Cup - Great hockey. Wayne and Mario putting up a show.

1998 Olympics - First best-on-best Olympics. The unbreakable Dominik Hasek.

2010 Olympics - Great hockey, legendary final between Canada and USA. Defining moment, the Crosby OT winner.

2016 World Cup - There was some great hockey, yeah. Who won? Canada... maybe? If you're a hockey nut, you may recall. But everybody will remember it for the bud Bettman and his pals smoked while brainstorming for the tournament format.

The fact the the "miracle on ice" registers for you when it was an amateur tournament says everything. We will remember the teams that won which won't be the Euro stars nor will it be have been Swiss or Slovaks. No one remembers the losers, don't flatter yourselves.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
And I mean that with all due respect. Slovakia and Switzerland lose out sure and every other country on the planet gains including the global brand. Stop and think of it like that. Even if like you ridiculously suggest the swiss or slovaks quit that is what we will remember them as always, quitters. But I dont see that happening, these guys love to compete.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
personally, I would have liked to see Switzerland and Slovakia invited and then an all star team of the left overs of Europe which could include players NOT used by the other participating nations.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No one remembers the losers, don't flatter yourselves.
Finally something we can agree with.

Now, who were you again?

And I mean that with all due respect. Slovakia and Switzerland lose out sure and every other country on the planet gains including the global brand. Stop and think of it like that. Even if like you ridiculously suggest the swiss or slovaks quit that is what we will remember them as always, quitters. But I dont see that happening, these guys love to compete.
Perhaps there will be one or two Canadian kids who might call 'em losers, but judging by the response we've seen from the Swiss and Slovak posters here, most people back home will likely do nothing but cheer if they decide to flip a bird to the man and mail it in.

To play for the entertainment of some Canadian navel-gazer (who, by their own accounts, won't even remember you past the final whistle) or for your national pride (as is the custom on international tournaments), which can be displayed in ways more than one? Oh, the dilemma...

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
People who think team europe from leftover countries is a good idea don't know whole alot about nationalism and why international games are even played. It's because players have heart in the game when they play for their country. They don't have heart in the game when they play for team leftovers.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
You aren't making any sense - how can people insult themselves? The players agreed to this and are partners in the tournament. It isn't just Bettman. The NHLPA Executives are players.

You have said this three or four times now as evidence that all players are happy with it. Where can I see the player votes for this format including the Euro All Star team or whatever it's called? Where can I see what Chara and Hossa voted? And don't come back with "well the NHLPA said yes so..." I want an indication of how many affected players are actually happy with it.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
I realize (now) that this is a battle between $$$$$ and the integrity of the sport. I feel stupid now for expecting something else but I should have seen this coming. These people would put together a team of trained monkeys against flying robots if they could earn an extra $2. They would have African elephants in Team Canada jerseys flying around in trapezes under the roof during the games if they could earn an extra buck. They would ice a team of handicapped children which Canada could beat 100-0 if people would pay for it. And people probably would.

I get now that they do not really think of it as an ice hockey competition between nations (which I did and thought it would be). But why not just ice two or three Team Canadas then? Or have a competition between the provinces of Canada? Or maybe Quebec could have its own team? Maybe throw in trades and have a skills competition that would earn you points in the standings? Maybe an inferior team could play 6 against 5 for the entire match to make it more competitive? Maybe put in bigger nets to have more goals... If it could maximize profit then why not?

I hope Bettman is not reading this. He would probably implement it.

Anyway, I still don't get the motivation to play for this international team. Not all millionaires will do anything for extra money.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I realize (now) that this is a battle between $$$$$ and the integrity of the sport. I feel stupid now for expecting something else but I should have seen this coming. These people would put together a team of trained monkeys against flying robots if they could earn an extra $2. They would have African elephants in Team Canada jerseys flying around in trapezes under the roof during the games if they could earn an extra buck. They would ice a team of handicapped children which Canada could beat 100-0 if people would pay for it. And people probably would.

I get now that they do not really think of it as an ice hockey competition between nations (which I did and thought it would be). But why not just ice two or three Team Canadas then? Or have a competition between the provinces of Canada? Or maybe Quebec could have its own team? Maybe throw in trades and have a skills competition that would earn you points in the standings? Maybe an inferior team could play 6 against 5 for the entire match to make it more competitive? Maybe put in bigger nets to have more goals... If it could maximize profit then why not?

I hope Bettman is not reading this. He would probably implement it.

Pretty much. Some people don't value experiences at all, they live and die only for the buck. They'll do what ever will earn them more money and not get them in jail for long time. Hell, they'd cut heads of players after the game if they earned few extra million for it and knew they wouldn't get any problems, am I even kidding?

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
You have said this three or four times now as evidence that all players are happy with it. Where can I see the player votes for this format including the Euro All Star team or whatever it's called? Where can I see what Chara and Hossa voted? And don't come back with "well the NHLPA said yes so..." I want an indication of how many affected players are actually happy with it.

I have never said that ALL players accept this. I am sure all players were consulted or at least had a forum to voice their opinion. If players chose not to be involved in the process that is their choice. The players vote for their player rep. This is their voice.

If Hossa or Chara have issues with the union's decisions then maybe they should be more involved with their own union. If they are upset, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I know most of you think this just on Bettman and the owners, but the players are equally responsible.

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
If they are upset, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I know most of you think this just on Bettman and the owners, but the players are equally responsible.

They are not upset. They will just say "no, thank you, money can't motivate me".

If Hossa and Chara are not interested then I can't see other Slovak player joining the team either. Unless NHLPA force players to participate this will be a joke team.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
If Hossa and Chara are not interested then I can't see other Slovak player joining the team either. Unless NHLPA force players to participate this will be a joke team.

It'll be even more of a joke if anyone is forced to join it.

How hard will Hossa and Chara play for this hiddeous team if they don't want to be there? Who'd block a shot for the "Euro Leftovers" or "NA U-23"?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
To me this tournament was about Alan Eagleson and game-rigging as much as it was about Gretzky, Lemieux, Makarov and Larionov.
Indeed. If there is a tainted narrative, no amount of great hockey can fully overcome that.

And likewise, if there is a great story to be told, people will recall that regardless of the level of play - as proven by the Miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad