World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
on top of that there was no qualifying

Just like there was no qualifying in 1996 and 2004. And just like there is no qualifying in 2014/2015. So what's the issue?

in the old days Czech and Slovaks were together as were Russia, Belarus and the former USSR countries.

In 1996 & 2004? Not really. ;)

We didn't have players from Austria and Slovenia. Now we do. It is important to continue to grow the global game in these smaller markets not lock them out of a world cup.

Then invite 12 countries instead of 6 plus the leftovers.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
If that is the case, then you give 'em a whole team, not small percentage of one.

And we've been over this. 12 teams is too many, not to many mention many of the countries that will be represented next yr have no business playing the likes of Canada, USA, Sweden.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It should be noted that no qualifying per se is needed.

Bettman could say: "Alright, we have our top 6 teams now. The next 2 teams will be those with the best finishes in the 2015 and 2016 World Championships."

That would be fair, and would make the next two WChamp tourneys even more competitive and meaningful for the affected countries. As you perhaps know, World Championships results are used to determine which countries get invited to the Olympics. Why not use the same system for World Cup invites? It would make perfect sense. What they announced instead, is insanity. :shakehead

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
And we've been over this. 12 teams is too many, not to many mention many of the countries that will be represented next yr have no business playing the likes of Canada, USA, Sweden.
In which case you don't give 'em a team at all. It's either-or. There is no compromise in a matter like this.

Are you Canadian or American? If so, please, just shut up. You obviously don't have slightest inkling of the significance of our invidual nation-states to us Europeans. Slovakia is not like Iowa and Austria like Illinois, all part of the same union.

Not to mention there already is a premier trophy meant for the best team made up of best players from all over. It's called the Stanley Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
It should be noted that no qualifying per se is needed.

Bettman could say: "Alright, we have our top 6 teams now. The next 2 teams will be those with the best finishes in the 2015 and 2016 World Championships."

That would be fair, and would make the next two WC tourneys even more competitive and meaningful for the affected countries. As you perhaps know, WC results are used to determine which countries get invited to the Olympics. Why not use the same system for World Cup invites? It would make perfect sense. What they announced instead, is insanity. :shakehead

Except for the fact that the only thing more ludacris than calling this the World Cup is calling the World Championship the World Championship. The most competetive players in the world are busy playing in the best league in the world during that tournament.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Without words:

4282137.jpg

Lauris+Darzins+Ice+Hockey+Winter+Olympics+VarCslu6bMjl.jpg

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
One important piece of perspective for me is the fact that I didn't care about the IIHF World Championship tournament. So I'll try and take a positive out of this tournament, that at least it's going to test some interesting hypothetical scenarios (if they can get full rosters of willing bodies, that is).

I can't imagine anyone would be too excited to play for these "bonus" teams.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
And Im glad we'll get too see the top swiss players on team euro otherwise they may have been golfing those two weeks
Instead, now they'll be playing for a team that represents nothing to them. Sure, that's gonna ensure a high level of play.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Except for the fact that the only thing more ludacris than calling this the World Cup is calling the World Championship the World Championship. The most competetive players in the world are busy playing in the best league in the world during that tournament.

If it's not "ludacris" enough to determine Olympic invites, it wouldn't be for World Cup invites, either.

Besides, it may have escaped your notice that the World Championships now typically only get underway in early May. (In the past, they used to finish in early May.)

By early May, the NHL play-offs are typically already past the 1st round. In other words, out of the NHL's 30 teams, players from the vast majority of 22 NHL teams are already free to play in the World Championships. These may include Hart Trophy, Vezina Trophy, etc., candidates, if they failed to move past the 1st NHL playoff round, as happens very frequently.

And especially, the effect on teams competing for that 7th and 8th vacant World Cup spot would be marginal at best. Not many Slovak, Swiss, Norwegian, German, etc., players find themselves in a 2nd NHL play-off round in any season. One, two or three players per team, perhaps, if that. All the other best players from those "lesser countries" are typically free to play in the World Championships by the time early May comes around. So, World Championships might serve as pretty fair World Cup qualifying tourneys.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
If it's not "ludacris" enough to determine Olympic invites, it wouldn't be for World Cup invites, either.

Besides, it may have escaped your notice that the World Championships now typically only get underway in early May. (In the past, they used to finish in early May.)

By early May, the NHL play-offs are typically already past the 1st round. In other words, out of the NHL's 30 teams, players from the vast majority of 22 NHL teams are already free to play in the World Championships. These may include Hart Trophy, Vezina Trophy, etc., candidates, if they failed to move past the 1st NHL playoff round, as happens very frequently.

And especially, the effect on teams competing for that 7th and 8th vacant World Cup spot would be marginal at best. Not many Slovak, Swiss, Norwegian, German, etc., players find themselves in a 2nd NHL play-off round in any season. One, two or three players per team, perhaps, if that. All the other best players from those "lesser countries" are typically free to play in the World Championships by the time early May comes around. So, World Championships might serve as pretty fair World Cup qualifying tourneys.

I kind of write that tournament off as a Canadian because we don't ever send our best available but you do make some good points that the NHL playoffs have a much lesser effect on the 7-12 countries. That said the likes of Kopitar hasn't been able to play in the world championship in yrs and he's basically slovenias only hope.

More to the point is that this format will allow all the best to play. The only people unhappy will be Slovakia who feel they deserve to be there and Switzerland who you could also make a case for. After that the rest of the countries know they have no business playing against the likes of Canada, Sweden, USA this at least gives the people of those countries something to cheer for and a reason to follow the tournament. Not to mention we are gonna get to see some amazing hockey.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
After that the rest of the countries know they have no business playing against the likes of Canada, Sweden, USA this at least gives the people of those countries something to cheer for and a reason to follow the tournament. Not to mention we are gonna get to see some amazing hockey.
*Sigh*

The whole point of international competition is for a player to play for his country. That's their source of motivation, and therefore also the source of this "amazing" hockey you seem to take for granted.

Slovakia is a country. Slovenia is a country. Austria is a country. Switzerland is a country. "Europe", however is NOT a country. You take that aspect away from a player, and they don't have a single source of motivation left. Therefore, no "amazing" hockey for you.

Well, there is one other thing that can motivate a player. Money. But that's what we already have the NHL for. World Cup is unnecessary in that sense.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
we are gonna get to see some amazing hockey.

Given the lack of "national" motivation, I'm afraid you're too optimistic about expecting amazing hockey at least from that composite "leftovers team". That team won't be their employer, and it won't be their national team, either. As the player agent Allan Walsh put it, "What would they be playing for?" :amazed:

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
I love the format for this WC. I want to see the best possible hockey games and the more NHLers, the better quality of hockey.

Not sure why this is offensive. These countries aren't good enough on their own to compete. This is a fact. I really don't care to see any of these countries play. But if they combined their NHL talent I would love to see them play.

Also we can stop the talk about players boycotting, it just makes people look foolish. No players will boycott this event. It is put on between the NHLPA and NHL. Both parties want to maximize their revenue and this format achieves that.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Given the lack of "national" motivation, I'm afraid you're too optimistic about expecting amazing hockey at least from that composite "leftovers team". That team won't be their employer, and it won't be their national team, either. As the player agent Allan Walsh put it, "What would they be playing for?" :amazed:

Money. It is in their best interest to go to the tournament and play. I am sorry but Team Slovenia doesn't sell tickets/advertising etc. European all-stars will.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Thats not the point, u dont see MLB, the NBA go that way with their World Cups?

Its suppose to be the World Cup of hockey, World to me means countries not Euro All-Stars and under-23 Team, NHL stay the **** away from international tournament you have no idea what you are doing.

Thats what happens when all you care about is $$$$, players should boycott i know if i was a Slovak, German or a Swiss player I would give the middle finger to this joke of a tournament.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Thats not the point, u dont see MLB, the NBA go that way with their World Cups?

Its suppose to be the World Cup of hockey, World to me means countries not Euro All-Stars and under-23 Team, NHL stay the **** away from international tournament you have no idea what you are doing.

Thats what happens when all you care about is $$$$, players should boycott i know if i was a Slovak, German or a Swiss player I would give the middle finger to this joke of a tournament.

Why would players boycott a tournament that they are promoting? You make no sense and I don't think you understand this tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Money. It is in their best interest to go to the tournament and play. I am sorry but Team Slovenia doesn't sell tickets/advertising etc. European all-stars will.
The winner of this event will receive 1 million dollars to be shared between players and their respective federation(s). So if we first take half of it away and then distribute the rest between 23 guys, that's roughly $20,000 per head.

For guys who make between $2M to $8M dollars a season, that's chump change.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This world cup format is ridiculous. I always felt Slovakia and Switzerland should have been the 7th and 8th teams. So in the Final- if Canada faces the North American Young Stars, it will basically be Canada vs. Canada in the final (LOL). Ridiculous. Imagine if this happened in the World Cup of Soccer? It would never. I guess if the North American Young Stars win the World Cup- they will be waving both the US and Canadian flags (LOL). What a joke of an idea.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I love the format for this WC. I want to see the best possible hockey games and the more NHLers, the better quality of hockey.

Not sure why this is offensive. These countries aren't good enough on their own to compete. This is a fact. I really don't care to see any of these countries play. But if they combined their NHL talent I would love to see them play.

Also we can stop the talk about players boycotting, it just makes people look foolish. No players will boycott this event. It is put on between the NHLPA and NHL. Both parties want to maximize their revenue and this format achieves that.

Im sorry to disagree but Slovakia and Switzerland are good enough to compete with Canada, Switzerland beat Canada in the 2006 Olympic 2-0 and almost beat them in 2010 Canada needed a shoot out to beat them

And Slovakia also almost beat Canada in 2010 in the semis I think 3-2 so for you to say that they have no business to play against Canada its ridiculous and false.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Why would players boycott a tournament that they are promoting? You make no sense and I don't think you understand this tournament.

I understand it more than you do. ;) thats for sure

Because its a joke, its silly everyone hates it except you .

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
The winner of this event will receive 1 million dollars to be shared between players and their respective federation(s). So if we first take half of it away and then distribute the rest between 23 guys, that's roughly $20,000 per head.

For guys who make between $2M to $8M dollars a season, that's chump change.

The NHL and NHLPA are splitting revenue 50/50.

Last edited:

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
I understand it more than you do. ;) thats for sure

Because its a joke, its silly everyone hates it except you .

Actually you don't understand it at all. If you did you would realize that the NHLPA signed off on this and is a partner. These players that you think are so offended by this have agreed to this format.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
*Sigh*

The whole point of international competition is for a player to play for his country. That's their source of motivation, and therefore also the source of this "amazing" hockey you seem to take for granted.

Slovakia is a country. Slovenia is a country. Austria is a country. Switzerland is a country. "Europe", however is NOT a country. You take that aspect away from a player, and they don't have a single source of motivation left. Therefore, no "amazing" hockey for you.

Well, there is one other thing that can motivate a player. Money. But that's what we already have the NHL for. World Cup is unnecessary in that sense.

Ya I mean I am torn. I do feel for those bubble nations. I also want to see Kopitar, Vanek and Gaborik on the same team. I think they would give it there all. Why not. The likelyhood of them winning is small but its bigger than Swiss or Slovakia winning on their own.

It is a publicity stunt but its gonna be a whole lot of fun watching how these all star team compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad