World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Russia is part of Europe, and you don't have a single russian player...

According to Bettman who literally just did a press conference, Russia is one of the four countries with their own team (along with Sweden, Finland, and Czech Republic.

"Team Europe" is the stars from the rest of the countries.

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder who's going to cheer for this team.

Also, what national antheim are they gonna play for this team? :laugh:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
According to Bettman who literally just did a press conference, Russia is one of the four countries with their own team (along with Sweden, Finland, and Czech Republic.

Did not realize that. Thanks for the clarification.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I wonder who's going to cheer for this team.

Also, what national antheim are they gonna play for this team? :laugh:

This is why I think the idea is extremely stupid. It's just an all-star tournament but except 2 teams, it's 8 teams.

What makes the olympics special is that players go out there and feel pride representing their country. Will the europe stars have an enough pride feeling wearing a 'europe stars' jersey made of leftovers countries? Not sure about that.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
If I were the GM or coach of the Euro team I would try to salvage it by choosing players and building lines by nationality and sticking to it during the tourney even so much as having each player have their national flag on their helmet and a shoulder patch. Maybe a 4th line of mixed players.

Have a Swiss, Slovak, Danish and Other (Vanek, Kopitar, Girgs) lines. German, Slovak, Swiss D pairings and take the best goalies.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
If I were the GM or coach of the Euro team I would try to salvage it by choosing players and building lines by nationality and sticking to it during the tourney even so much as having each player have their national flag on their helmet and a shoulder patch. Maybe a 4th line of mixed players.

Have a Swiss, Slovak, Danish and Other (Vanek, Kopitar, Girgs) lines. German, Slovak, Swiss D pairings and take the best goalies.

If everyone eligible participates and there are no injuries, I think there´s a pretty good chance the first line will look something like Gaborik-Kopitar-Hossa.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
I can predict lots of players boycotting this squad. What i perfectly understand. Streit already said he would dislike play for a team like this. I cannot see how players could be motivated to play for this strange team.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Here's mine

disrespected player - disrespected player - disrespected player

disrespected player - disrespected player

disrespected goalie
disrespected goalie

Wonder who the coaches will be.. disrespected coach or someone else?

Maybe Kopitar's dad?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Vanek - Kopitar - Hossa
Tatar - Nielsen - Gaborik
Zuccarello - Grabovski - Bodker
Roussel - Girgensons - Grabner
Niederreiter/Eller

Chara - Seidenberg
Ehrhoff - Josi
Sekera - Streit
Visnovsky

Andersen
Halak
Hiller/Greiss

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Vanek - Kopitar - Hossa
Niederreiter/Eller

Chara - Seidenberg
Ehrhoff - Josi
Sekera - Streit
Visnovsky

Andersen
Halak
Hiller/Greiss

if the players don't decline and actually show up, it might be a pretty strong team if they find some motivation

Aceonfire*

I get that the players would be uncomfortable, but I don't see how this is disrespectful.

Sorry to say but this isn't the Olympics.

This is the NHL trying to grow their brand internationally. They can't do that by playing guys that aren't marketable.

They are trying to create an absolute best on best.

If I were a player selected to the Euro All-Star team I would show up and play my hardest.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I get that the players would be uncomfortable, but I don't see how this is disrespectful.

This is the NHL trying to grow their brand internationally. They can't do that by playing guys that aren't marketable.

If I were a player selected to the Euro All-Star team I would show up and play my hardest.

I get that argument, and I do hope this is a one-off solution and they'll go back to nations only from 2020, even if that means a qualification is included. The fact is that you are making a biased decision that Switzerland and Slovakia aren't able to compete, which is flawed as both countries proved they can on the high stage.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

I think it is fitting that they present this at the All Star Week, one joke presents the other joke.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu

According to reception from fans world wide they're doing a really bad job.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think it is fitting that they present this at the All Star Week, one joke presents the other joke.

To be honest, I could care less about this and I personally don't feel like there's any benefit to this. Maybe a foreigner can chime in, but I don't feel like it's growing the game at all.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Vanek - Kopitar - Hossa
Niederreiter/Eller

Chara - Seidenberg
Ehrhoff - Josi
Sekera - Streit
Visnovsky

Andersen
Halak
Hiller/Greiss

Right now that looks like a very nice team. But by 2016 there may be some changes because of players emerging next season or players getting injured, etc.

gajenp13

Jan 21, 2015
I'm actually excited for this but if it signals the end of NHL players at the Olympics I say ****** this. The Olympics just don't make money for the NHL so they're bringing this back as a money grab but the Olympics are definitely more fair and the players definitely enjoy it more so we'll see how this goes. If Olympic participation stays however this formats cool with me .

gajenp13

Jan 21, 2015
According to reception from fans world wide they're doing a really bad job.

People are still going to watch though and the tickets will sell like hot cakes no matter the prices with it being in Toronto. The only backlash the NHL might respond to is if players withdraw from the tournament themselves.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
What a joke. NHL just doing what it does best, finding new ways to make money. This is an insult to Slovakia. And the young guns team ... what the hell? Are other countries gonna play them 100%? Ridiculous.

I hope a lot of players withdraw from this ****

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad