World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Im sorry to disagree but Slovakia and Switzerland are good enough to compete with Canada, Switzerland beat Canada in the 2006 Olympic 2-0 and almost beat them in 2010 Canada needed a shoot out to beat them

And Slovakia also almost beat Canada in 2010 in the semis I think 3-2 so for you to say that they have no business to play against Canada its ridiculous and false.

If this was your business and your motive was to maximize profit, what match up would you rather have:

1) Canada Vs. Switzerland
2) Canada Vs. European All-Stars

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Actually you don't understand it at all. If you did you would realize that the NHLPA signed off on this and is a partner. These players that you think are so offended by this have agreed to this format.

We shall see, Im not convince that all the players will agree to this joke of a tournament, and if they do agree they will treat it as a training camp, If im Kopitar why would I risk an injury to play in a World Cup thats thats means absolutely nothing to me? And the same aplly to Germans, Swiss and Slovaks players thay dont even play for their own country.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I've seen a few soccer comparisons so here's one of my own.

I would love to see Canada compete alongside say the rest of the North American countries barring USA, Mexico, Costa Rica. If we put an all star team together and it meant that the top Canadian players got to play in a major tournament I would be all for it. And as a Canadian I would follow that team and support that team to the end.

There is still pride on the line. You talk about being proud to be from a certain nation and that is what you play for well you are still representing that nation if you are Kopitar or Hossa or whomever so why not have pride in that.

The suggestions of boycotting are so childish.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
If this was your business and your motive was to maximize profit, what match up would you rather have:

The **** with profit, the fans dont give a **** about profit, we want to see a real World Cup with the 8th best countries in the World. Why does everything has to be about money today why not do something for the good of the sports instead.

And to answer your question I would prefer to see Switzerland vs Canada any time.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ya I mean I am torn. I do feel for those bubble nations. I also want to see Kopitar, Vanek and Gaborik on the same team. I think they would give it there all. Why not. The likelyhood of them winning is small but its bigger than Swiss or Slovakia winning on their own.

It is a publicity stunt but its gonna be a whole lot of fun watching how these all star team compare.
If they do show up wearing their gimmicky jerseys and also put up a show, good for you. But in your shoes I'd still figure out where I could ask for my money back if I end up paying a princely sum for watching Team Leftovers figure skate.

And oh, if that happens, absolutely no complaining here on HFBoards. Because you can't say you weren't warned.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
We shall see, Im not convince that all the players will agree to this joke of a tournament, and if they do agree they will treat it as a training camp, If im Kopitar why would I risk an injury to play in a World Cup thats thats means absolutely nothing to me? And the same aplly to Germans, Swiss and Slovaks players thay dont even play for their own country.

Again you really need to read more about this tournament. You don't understand it.

It is put on by both the NHL and NHLPA. Therefore the owners and players have already agreed to it.

And since they are splitting revenue 50/50 it is in their best interest to show up. The players and owners want to maximize their revenues. Having an all-star team rather than individual teams achieves that goal.

I am sure you won't be calling it a "joke of a tournament" when it is on.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
The **** with profit, the fans dont give a **** about profit, we want to see a real World Cup with the 8th best countries in the World. Why does everything has to be about money today why not do something for the good of the sports instead.

And to answer your question I would prefer to see Switzerland vs Canada any time.

You realize that eye balls drives profit. More people will be watching a Canada vs. European AS than Switzerland vs. Canada.

Based on your choice I recommend you never be an entrepreneur. You will go broke.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
If they do show up wearing their gimmicky jerseys and also put up a show, good for you. But in your shoes I'd still figure out where I could ask for my money back if I end up paying a princely sum for watching Team Leftovers figure skate.

And oh, if that happens, absolutely no complaining here on HFBoards. Because you can't say you weren't warned.

If they don't show up literally or figuratively it will be a direct reflection on the character of the people of the countries they represent. This is a chance to make the best of a bad situation.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I am sure you won't be calling it a "joke of a tournament" when it is on.
Main charm of the international competition is watching various nations battle it out against each other. Yes, the level of play may not always be at its best. But no worries. If one wishes to watch hockey that's simply high-level and entertaining, one can always tune into the Stanley Cup playoffs. They happen every year, I hear.

A tournament that involves gimmicky all-star squads amongst real national teams does not hold that charm. Therefore a high level of play won't save it - it's still a joke.

Sure, there most likely are some dense people who don't get where that charm comes from in the first place. They're the punchline.

If they don't show up literally or figuratively it will be a direct reflection on the character of the people of the countries they represent.
Indeed. It's called "defiance".

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Money. It is in their best interest to go to the tournament and play.

Don't be ridiculous. The World Cup prize money is laughable for hockey millionaires. The only thing to play for in this type of tournament, is national pride. You take that away from them, there is nothing left to play for. Individual players don't give a damn about the World Cup's overall revenues. That's the business of Bettman, NHL and NHLPA executives, not individual players on the "Europe Rejects" team. You think that the "Europe Rejects" team will give it their all just so NHL/NHLPA execs can line their pockets with profits? :D They will treat this tourney as a series of pre-season friendly games, at best. But I hope that, instead, they will invent lots of sudden "lower-body injuries" and stay away from this farce altogether. Let an AHL team join the World Cup instead. Why not? If it's meant to be a farce, it should be a full-blown farce.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
You think that the "Europe Rejects" team will give it their all just so NHL/NHLPA execs can line their pockets with profits? :D They will treat this tourney as a series of pre-season friendly games, at best. But I hope that, instead, they will invent lots of sudden "lower-body injuries" and stay away from this farce altogether. Let an AHL team join the World Cup instead. Why not? If it's meant to be a farce, it should be a full-blown farce.

I can't see anyone risking injury, or their self-respect, to wear the jersey of Euro Leftover, or the U23 kiddie team.

The best hope of this insulting tournament being altered (or killed alltogether) is for players to openly state that they'll have nothing to do with it, starting with the Slovaks and Swiss who have been so horribly insulted by Bettman and his fellow dirtbags

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
I can't see anyone risking injury, or their self-respect, to wear the jersey of Euro Leftover, or the U23 kiddie team.

The best hope of this insulting tournament being altered (or killed alltogether) is for players to openly state that they'll have nothing to do with it, starting with the Slovaks and Swiss who have been so horribly insulted by Bettman and his fellow dirtbags

You aren't making any sense - how can people insult themselves? The players agreed to this and are partners in the tournament. It isn't just Bettman. The NHLPA Executives are players.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The best hope of this insulting tournament being altered (or killed alltogether) is for players to openly state that they'll have nothing to do with it, starting with the Slovaks and Swiss

I agree. A joint public statement by players from the affected countries might still persuade them to change the tourney setup. As a Slovak hockey fan, I'd much rather not see any Slovak player in the World Cup, than to see them play on a "Euro Rejects" team.

I also strongly dislike the "Young Stars" team idea, and that they can even take away players from legitimate team Canada and USA. Why are you mixing up international competition with an all-star game? :rant: This is insanity.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Don't be ridiculous. The World Cup prize money is laughable for hockey millionaires. The only thing to play for in this type of tournament, is national pride. You take that away from them, there is nothing left to play for. Individual players don't give a damn about the World Cup's overall revenues. That's the business of Bettman, NHL and NHLPA executives, not individual players on the "Europe Rejects" team. You think that the "Europe Rejects" team will give it their all just so NHL/NHLPA execs can line their pockets with profits? :D They will treat this tourney as a series of pre-season friendly games, at best. But I hope that, instead, they will invent lots of sudden "lower-body injuries" and stay away from this farce altogether. Let an AHL team join the World Cup instead. Why not? If it's meant to be a farce, it should be a full-blown farce.

Well they should, they are splitting it 50/50 with the NHL and it is expected to be over $100M.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
You realize that eye balls drives profit. More people will be watching a Canada vs. European AS than Switzerland vs. Canada.

Based on your choice I recommend you never be an entrepreneur. You will go broke.

An entrepreneur who needs to rely on gimmicks to drive profits for his/her product has obviously failed at the fundamental levels of advertising and attracting/retaining a customer base.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Do you really think any one's gonna care about Canada vs European allstars? This tournament is a failure already. Its a farce. If they wanted to maximize their profit they would have Slovaks and Swiss in.

This tournament keeps much less value now than IIHF World Championships.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Do you really think any one's gonna care about Canada vs European allstars? This tournament is a failure already. Its a farce. If they wanted to maximize their profit they would have Slovaks and Swiss in.

This tournament keeps much less value now than IIHF World Championships.

Those countries do not sell tickets or viewership.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Well they should, they are splitting it 50/50 with the NHL and it is expected to be over $100M.

So? Let's say there are 900 NHL players, so with a profit of $50 million for NHLPA, that's roughly $55 thousand per NHL player. Pocket money. (And that's assuming that the revenues would go directly to individual NHL players, which of course they won't.)

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
An entrepreneur who needs to rely on gimmicks to drive profits for his/her product has obviously failed at the fundamental levels of advertising and attracting/retaining a customer base.

It isn't a gimmick - they want more NHL talent playing in the tournament. This will increase the quality of the product offered.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It isn't a gimmick - they want more NHL talent playing in the tournament. This will increase the quality of the product offered.

Likely the opposite: it will decrease the quality of the product offered, because of at least one team lacking the top motivation to give it their best. That wouldn't be the case with a national team, no matter how weak on paper.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
An analogy. The furniture and other decorations in your house are black, against clean white walls. Then somebody drags in a pink designer sofa. It's not a bad sofa, actually. Quite comfy and obviously made up of quality parts. Should last a long while in proper use.

There is one little problem however... It is an eyesore that does not match with the rest of the furniture. At all. It causes all your friends who walk into the room burst out in spastic laughter and inquire whether your decorator's been high or drunk. You keep insisting, a little flushed, that it's a nice quaint addition to the room, spices it up... but nobody is buying it. Except maybe that homeschooled simpleton from across the street.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

No it wont, it's like putting 1.2 liter hybrid engine to Ferrari 360 Moderna and say it increases the quality.

They should try to make it serious competition. TV deals ect will produce much less dollar, as the tournament is now just Spengler cup kind of thing at best.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
So? Let's say there are 900 NHL players, so with a profit of $50 million for NHLPA, that's roughly $55 thousand per NHL player. Pocket money. (And that's assuming that the revenues would go directly to individual NHL players, which of course they won't.)

Correct - they will have to pick up their share of the costs as well. If you are making league minimum you will sure appreciate the extra money.

Look I understand how this could be frustrating if your country isn't in it. But understand that this isn't just an NHL tournament. The players chose this format as well. Be upset with them as well.

The NHLPA wants as many of their members as possible to play in this tournament. This format achieves that. Why should the NHLPA make players money who aren't members of their union? This format benefits their members.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
No it wont, it's like putting 1.2 liter hybrid engine to Ferrari 360 Moderna and say it increases the quality.

They should try to make it serious competition. TV deals ect will produce much less dollar, as the tournament is now just Spengler cup kind of thing at best.

Ok now you are just getting crazy. NHL regular season games have more viewers than the Spengler cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad