2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Assuming jets get a top 7 and 28 overall. Any good late firsts in this draft? Maybe we trade up to get a number 3?

This site does a mock draft but they also do a compilation from a few different sources, see below:
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

There are some beauties in there, a lot of fallers from the fall rankings and many risers. A few WHL boys have slipped in Steel, Howden and Benson, all have intrigue and not sure why they have slipped. Benson maybe cause of injury, he's shut down for season now. Howden having a great year. As for risers Im keeping my eye on Hajek as a dman with risk/reward. I like Krys too, similar to Morrissey in some ways for me.

Last edited:

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Hypothetical if the Jets are picking 4th and Matthews/Laine/Pulujarvi are gone who would you want?

My two would be Chychrun or Dubois but I'm indecisive on which I'd take..I know Tkachuk and Nylander are in the mix for consideration as well but I want a C or D BPA permitting.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd want Chychrun if the gap between him and BPA isn't too big. If we were up, Chychrun was still available (but not BPA) and not likely to be picked by anyone in our position, I'd even be comfortable taking a chance trading down and let someone else pay us dearly for the right to draft a forward. If that team picked Chychrun, we could still draft BPA. We need defense, specifically LHD - the shortage of quality young D is obvious in the league, and I find it strange that they're not more valuable at the draft.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Hypothetical if the Jets are picking 4th and Matthews/Laine/Pulujarvi are gone who would you want?

My two would be Chychrun or Dubois but I'm indecisive on which I'd take..I know Tkachuk and Nylander are in the mix for consideration as well but I want a C or D BPA permitting.

I have been hearing some people questioning if Chychrun as good as everyone thinks him to be. Can't say myself as I haven't seem him play but the buzz is not like it was for Ekblad/Provorov/Werensky. Seems more like how it was for Hanifin

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I have been hearing some people questioning if Chychrun as good as everyone thinks him to be. Can't say myself as I haven't seem him play but the buzz is not like it was for Ekblad/Provorov/Werensky. Seems more like how it was for Hanifin

Agreed. Ideally I'd love for the Jets to land a defenseman, but I am a bit leery of Chychrun. Think I'd trust whatever decision our scouts make.

And if there's a team willing to pay a premium asset to move up, I'd likely welcome that too.

FWIW, Dubois has really grown on me. Would be ecstatic to add him to the stable of talent. That is if the Jets don't win the Matthews lottery.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Agreed. Ideally I'd love for the Jets to land a defenseman, but I am a bit leery of Chychrun. Think I'd trust whatever decision our scouts make.

And if there's a team willing to pay a premium asset to move up, I'd likely welcome that too.

FWIW, Dubois has really grown on me. Would be ecstatic to add him to the stable of talent. That is if the Jets don't win the Matthews lottery.

Chychrun scares me, he seems to excel in junior mostly based on being stronger than everyone. Doesn't seem like ha has good hockey sense

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Unlike the 2015 draft this is one of the weakest. There is no point in getting excited about finishing really low in the standings this year unless you land the #1 pick. Only Auston Matthews is worth mentioning. If Matthews was born a week earlier and was drafted last summer this year's draft would have been nothing but a cream of wheat draft. Nothing to get excited about after #1 for this year's draft.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Unlike the 2015 draft this is one of the weakest. There is no point in getting excited about finishing really low in the standings this year unless you land the #1 pick. Only Auston Matthews is worth mentioning. If Matthews was born a week earlier and was drafted last summer this year's draft would have been nothing but a cream of wheat draft. Nothing to get excited about after #1 for this year's draft.

I predict that the Leafs will fall to 5th in the draft, pick Nylander and you yourself will for some reason be on the Jets boards telling us how you've got the steal of the draft and his brother so now you're unstoppable.

Laine, Puljajarvi, Juolevi, Sergachaev, Tkachuk and Dubois are exciting. Chychrun gives me the heebie-geebies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Chychrun and Dubois are three and four on my list after Laine. My decision on C vs D would depend on the positional forecast for Dubois. If my scouts think he'll be a center in the NHL then he goes number three.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Chuchrun still makes me stop and think when it comes to him...

Like I think he's legit good, but not great.

I wouldn't have put him in the Hanafin, Werenski, Provorov tier last year. More like king of the Meloche, Kylington, Zboril, Roy, Chabot, Andersen, et al tier.

19kiefer94

Jun 3, 2014
Winterpeg
Food for thought: jets end up with 5th overall and are not wowed by someone like Chyrchun. What would they be able to pick up by trading down to say like 11-15 range to Juolevi? I feel like he'll end up the better player out of him and Chyrchun (not that I've watched either of them that much just a gut instinct #smallsamplebias).

It seems like PHI could be in the range. Any way we snag an extra D prospect and their pick our earlier pick? Can see them wanting Nylander/Tkachuk rather than a D anyways.

Doubt it goes down but we can dream right?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Food for thought: jets end up with 5th overall and are not wowed by someone like Chyrchun. What would they be able to pick up by trading down to say like 11-15 range to Juolevi? I feel like he'll end up the better player out of him and Chyrchun (not that I've watched either of them that much just a gut instinct #smallsamplebias).

It seems like PHI could be in the range. Any way we snag an extra D prospect and their pick our earlier pick? Can see them wanting Nylander/Tkachuk rather than a D anyways.

Doubt it goes down but we can dream right?

I honestly don't think Sergachev or Juolevi last past pick 10.
I really like Sergachev at this point I think he has a more complete game compared to Juolevi. If we dont take a chance on Chych I'd prefer it if we got Sergachev.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets already have lots of good to very good prospect base in their middle of the pack drafting. Lots of value picks the team did.

For this year I feel, it's a bust if Jets don't. Get either Matthews or Laine.
Second option is Pul and Chy. why? Because of the bad season they are having they should get one of those 4.

Jets really need an elite player for each positions to have a chance to compete for the cup

Goalie - Hellybuyck has the greatest potential to get there
winger. - Ehlers and Connor both have the pedingre to make it, but less assurance than HELLY
Defence - it was suppose to be Trouba, he is doing fine but he should be anchoring the D already this year or the next 2 years. Otherwise he is just another very good defenceman but not elite.
Center - Scheifele he is my fav Jets, I think he will be a really good player. He has the will and desire that the Jets will need when they come into playoff battle. He did that already when he carried The colts in his last ohl year. His skill sets are very good but they are not off the chart. So he needs to work harder, which I think he knows and he is trying to do. If does that he has the potential to be one of the Top C for 1-2 years in his prime. But this is the least probability. But you never know, his will is off the chart.

Landing Matthews, Laine and 3rd option Chyrun will be a big boost.

In an 80 game season, no one can play at a maximum every game. Elite players get by because of their better skill sets than the rest.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
This site does a mock draft but they also do a compilation from a few different sources, see below:
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

There are some beauties in there, a lot of fallers from the fall rankings and many risers. A few WHL boys have slipped in Steel, Howden and Benson, all have intrigue and not sure why they have slipped. Benson maybe cause of injury, he's shut down for season now. Howden having a great year. As for risers Im keeping my eye on Hajek as a dman with risk/reward. I like Krys too, similar to Morrissey in some ways for me.

Thing that sticks out most to me in that link is ISS ranking Tkachuk at 3 ahead of Laine.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Our current picks would be 5th & 26th. I haven't paid much attention tho the bottom third of the projected first round. Who is the most interesting name(s) in the 22-30 range?

On the latest lists ( I kind of like to look at Pronman and Button because they tend to be unique plus the TSN consensus)

Pronman

5 Tkachuk
26 Krys

Button

5 Nylander
26 Benson

TSN Consensus

5 Chychrun
26 Laberge

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Our current picks would be 5th & 26th. I haven't paid much attention tho the bottom third of the projected first round. Who is the most interesting name(s) in the 22-30 range?

On the latest lists ( I kind of like to look at Pronman and Button because they tend to be unique plus the TSN consensus)

Pronman

5 Tkachuk
26 Krys

Button

5 Nylander
26 Benson

TSN Consensus

5 Chychrun
26 Laberge

Why do you put Jets at 5? I get why Buffalo goes 3rd due to games played, but Jets are tied with Flames for 4th. I think Winnipeg wins tiebreaker right now because they have same point differential, but Calgary scored one more goal in their games between each other. Tiebreaker says you have to use 2nd home game for Calgary, but that won't happen til March 16. Am I missing something?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thing that sticks out most to me in that link is ISS ranking Tkachuk at 3 ahead of Laine.

ISS tends to pick their favs at the start of the season and doesn't really deviate from that by very much. They have to be one of the more stubborn lists around.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Pronman

5 Tkachuk
26 Krys

Button

5 Nylander
26 Benson

TSN Consensus

5 Chychrun
26 Laberge

We'd also pick at #35. Good chance a first day slider is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad