2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
How about a Brian Burke special this year? If Jets pick third take a Finn, then make a trade to get the 2nd pick and draft both Finns :naughty:

Would the first acquired in Ladd trade, Roslovic, plus another prospect get it done?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How about a Brian Burke special this year? If Jets pick third take a Finn, then make a trade to get the 2nd pick and draft both Finns :naughty:

Would the first acquired in Ladd trade, Roslovic, plus another prospect get it done?

Doubtful.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

You'd probably need a significant add likely one of Ehlers or Connor to get that done.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You'd probably need a significant add likely one of Ehlers or Connor to get that done.

Really? That much? I would think 1st, Roslovic plus a prospect like Petan could get that deal done. Or if it's EDM then swap Petan with Morrissey.
Him and Nurse can play together and the Oil and Jets boards can finally solve the who's better problem :laugh:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Really? That much? I would think 1st, Roslovic plus a prospect like Petan could get that deal done. Or if it's EDM then swap Petan with Morrissey.
Him and Nurse can play together and the Oil and Jets boards can finally solve the who's better problem :laugh:

I seriously doubt a mid/late 1st, Roslovic and Petan or Morrissey gets you one of Laine or Pulju.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If the Jets pick 2nd and the Oilers pick 3rd...

Jets take Laine 2nd, Then trade Trouba to Edmonton for pick 3.

No add needed, maybe on Edmontons part actually.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

They might do that. I'd rather keep Trouba and try to deal Myers though and more preferably for a LHD.
We have 2 high end Wingers in the organization in Connor and Ehlers. What we need is some high defensive prospects not more wingers.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yeah. I agree. I actually don't see the need for both the Finnish Wingers, Laine would be my preference and then if I'm moving Trouba (cuz i don't think Myers has that value) for pick 3, I'm probably taking Chychrun.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Walking away with Laine or Puljujarvi is a happy recurring dream I have.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If Trouba is being move for either Chyrun and or one of the Finn,

Just go for the home run and just add to get Matthews.
He is also a safer pick than Chyrun with greater potential.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Chevy trades this team's only shot at a franchise defender (Trouba) for another winger... I'll be petitioning for him to be fired.

I'm with you on this one.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pretty interesting article I read today from Corey Pronman on the impact of late birthdays on drafted players.

Some of the conclusions are "first-year eligible late brithday prospects are being overvalued at the draft relative to their younger less expirienced counterparts."

The gap is less prevalent at the very top of the draft.

Late birthday first round picks Auston Matthews (to be fair he would have gone really high last year), Matthew Tkachuk, Julien Gauthier, Charile McAvoy, Luke Kunin, and Rasmus Asplund.

For those of you confused by the concept "I believe" the challenge in a nut shell is kids on the list above (late birthdays) played all of their life against guys that went in the draft the year before. You can be a kid that is on my sons team 2008 and if you are born in Sept15-Dec31 you get drafted a full season late. Example "A": Jack Eichel would have grown up his entire life playing against Dylan Larkin because they are both 1996 born however because of the NHL's quirky rule they split them up only for draft purposes. Larkin was born July 30th 1996 and Eichel was born October 28th 1996 but because of the odd rule Larkin was draft eligible in 2014 and Eichel got another full year of development and didn't go into the draft until 2015?

So any draft eligible kid born after September 15th up until December 31st (like Tkachuk) get a full additional season over the kids they played their entire life with. In Eichel's case I don't think it matters but on balance these kids are basically draft +1 players. As a December baby Kyle Connor received this advantage. To be clear he would have played his entire life as a 96 against Dylan Larkin but they were drafted a year apart.

Last edited:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Pretty interesting article I read today from Corey Pronman on the impact of late birthdays on drafted players.

Some of the conclusions are "first-year eligible late brithday prospects are being overvalued at the draft relative to their younger less expirienced counterparts."

The gap is less prevalent at the very top of the draft.

Late birthday first round picks Auston Matthews (to be fair he would have gone really high last year), Matthew Tkachuk, Julien Gauthier, Charile McAvoy, Luke Kunin, and Rasmus Asplund.

For those of you confused by the concept "I believe" the challenge in a nut shell is kids on the list above (late birthdays) played all of their life against guys that went in the draft the year before. You can be a kid that is on my sons team 2008 and if you are born in Sept15-Dec31 you get drafted a full season late. Example "A": Jack Eichel would have grown up his entire life playing against Dylan Larkin because they are both 1996 born however because of the NHL's quirky rule they split this up only for draft purposes. Larkin was born July 30th 1996 and Eichel was born October 28th 1996 but because of the odd rule Larkin was draft eligible in 2014 and Eichel got another full year of development and didn't go into the draft until 2015?

So any draft eligible kid born after September 15th up until Jan 1st (like Tkachuk) get a full additional season over the kids they played their entire life with. In Eichel's case I don't think it matters but on balance these kids are basically draft +1 players.

doubt I'm allowed to post the graph that shows difference in scoring at the NHL level but it's both consistent and significant

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
doubt I'm allowed to post the graph that shows difference in scoring at the NHL level but it's both consistent and significant

Yea that graph was telling. At the end of the day if the Scouts aren't taking this into account they are missing the boat. To be a bit fair Sept to late December babies were disadvantaged most of their lives by being the last quartile kids (See Outliers with Malcolm Gladwell) but this swings the pendulum to far the other way IMO.

Really goofy rule IMO.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yea that graph was telling. At the end of the day if the Scouts aren't taking this into account they are missing the boat. To be a bit fair Sept to late December babies were disadvantaged most of their lives by being the last quartile kids (See Outliers with Malcolm Gladwell) but this swings the pendulum to far the other way IMO.

Really goofy rule IMO.

If you're talking about posting stuff from behind a paywall, blame the rights-holders. They're the ones that come after HF when these things get dumped here - they claim (and rightfully so) copyright over their material, and will enforce those copyrights. Sucks, but...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If you're talking about posting stuff from behind a paywall, blame the rights-holders. They're the ones that come after HF when these things get dumped here - they claim (and rightfully so) copyright over their material, and will enforce those copyrights. Sucks, but...

:laugh:

No I mean the draft rule is goofy I have no problem with the paywall.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Really goofy rule IMO.

Ha. My wife keeps telling me about Outliers.

I have an '07 kid - what association is yours in?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ha. My wife keeps telling me about Outliers.

I have an '07 kid - what association is yours in?

My son is an 08 (Sept 25th :naughty: kidding kidding) that plays out of St Boniface association (Southdale arena).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

But why would we do that? Trouba?

Please, people stop trying to trade Trouba. Its not like he showed up for practice in a track suit. :laugh:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
But why would we do that? Trouba?

Please, people stop trying to trade Trouba. Its not like he showed up for practice in a track suit. :laugh:

I love Trouba. He's one of my favourite Jets. But I think trading him could turn us into a contender. If we got an equal value LHD for him, we'd be pretty scary. If we got a top 5 pick (plus) for him, we'd draft an lhd who might even be ready (I'm looking at Juolevi or Sergachaev more than Chychrun) next season.

Our right side has more talent than we can make use of and the left has an overworked aging Toby plus Chiarot and the black hole that is Stuart.

Unless maybe Ladd can get us that LHD (Eric Gelinas?) to play 2nd pair next season, I think Trouba is exactly who you want to move. Buff's our #1, Myers is a great 2nd pair, Trouba would fetch a better return than almost any player on our roster.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We'll likely get a shot at drafting a top LHD with our own pick. No need to trade Trouba until he actually does show up to practice in a track suit (or a gm comes calling with an overpayment).

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I love Trouba. He's one of my favourite Jets. But I think trading him could turn us into a contender. If we got an equal value LHD for him, we'd be pretty scary. If we got a top 5 pick (plus) for him, we'd draft an lhd who might even be ready (I'm looking at Juolevi or Sergachaev more than Chychrun) next season.

Our right side has more talent than we can make use of and the left has an overworked aging Toby plus Chiarot and the black hole that is Stuart.

Unless maybe Ladd can get us that LHD (Eric Gelinas?) to play 2nd pair next season, I think Trouba is exactly who you want to move. Buff's our #1, Myers is a great 2nd pair, Trouba would fetch a better return than almost any player on our roster.

I can't understand any rationale for moving the only real shot this team has for a long term #1D. Buff will taper off within a few years, Toby too and Myers just isn't that good.

Trouba is already the 2nd best D man on this team and he'll probably take top spot (within two years) before they get back into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad