2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anyone else find Julien Gauthier interesting if we fell a bit in the draft? He reminds me a bit of Jamie Benn with his power, slick hands, and shot.

Definitely an interested prospect. I need to pay more attention to him. He's in the consensus top 15 I think so far. His 29 goals and 8 assists is a little weird though. More of a finisher than a playmaker.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Definitely an interested prospect. I need to pay more attention to him. He's in the consensus top 15 I think so far. His 29 goals and 8 assists is a little weird though. More of a finisher than a playmaker.

It is a tad weird but he had 35 assists with his 38 goals last year, he definitely has some play making ability.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It is a tad weird but he had 35 assists with his 38 goals last year, he definitely has some play making ability.

I wonder how many of his goals are on the PP. I'll look that up if I can sometime. He may be the central focus of their PP, much like Tarasenko and Ovi are central focus' of their own. Wonder what his even strength stats are.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I wonder how many of his goals are on the PP. I'll look that up if I can sometime. He may be the central focus of their PP, much like Tarasenko and Ovi are central focus' of their own. Wonder what his even strength stats are.

8 goals on the PP this year so 21 ES in 30 games, last year 15 PP and 23 ES. Not a trigger man like Ovi or Tarasenko on the PP, he bangs a lot of goals in around the net on the PP seems to score a lot at ES off the rush with that Benn-like quick drag snap shot and partial breakaways where he just undresses goalies.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Thoughts on Max Jones? Seems to be a 'Jets-type' of player.

Edit: meaning he fits last season's identity of a big, fast, driving, punishing team. Goes hard to the net.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Unreal how Fabbro and Jost both play on the same team in Peniticton, wonder if they slip at all in the draft being from the BCHL. They both are going to top colleges and I wonder how scouts will view these two talents.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Unreal how Fabbro and Jost both play on the same team in Peniticton, wonder if they slip at all in the draft being from the BCHL. They both are going to top colleges and I wonder how scouts will view these two talents.

Jost was just named MVP of the world junior A challenge.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think its actually helping their rankings a little bit. They are ripping up those leagues and it makes it hard to compare them to the rest of the class.
Its like having a student who is in grade 7 but should be in grade 8. And they are getting straight A's across the board. Where do you put them in terms of ability relative to their peers?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think its actually helping their rankings a little bit. They are ripping up those leagues and it makes it hard to compare them to the rest of the class.
Its like having a student who is in grade 7 but should be in grade 8. And they are getting straight A's across the board. Where do you put them in terms of ability relative to their peers?

Some prospects slip from Jr. A leagues, even Connor slipped a bit last year, maybe that's because he was in the USHL, which I think is a great league but maybe some wonder how their success will translate from USHL and BCHL to a higher level.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Thoughts on Max Jones? Seems to be a 'Jets-type' of player.

Edit: meaning he fits last season's identity of a big, fast, driving, punishing team. Goes hard to the net.

I'd be looking for more skill from my early 1st round pick personally but maybe he has more skills than I'm giving him credit for.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
It's going to be hard to out tank Carolina, Toronto and Comumbus, I see us drafting between 5th and 8th. A Buff or Ladd trade could score us another first, hoping for two of the three Finns, Jesse P, Laine or Juloevi...Luc-Dubois highly interesting as well...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Juolevi looking really good in this game against Canada. This tournament has been good to him. 8 Assists I think so far in 5 games.
Looks like a Defensive playmaker out there. Setting up a lot of opportunities. Makes an excellent first pass out of the zone. Very good skater too. I think he is improving his stock in this tournament a little.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Juolevi looking really good in this game against Canada. This tournament has been good to him. 8 Assists I think so far in 5 games.
Looks like a Defensive playmaker out there. Setting up a lot of opportunities. Makes an excellent first pass out of the zone. Very good skater too. I think he is improving his stock in this tournament a little.

Hah, just came in to post something similar. Hopefully he doesnt improve it too much lol.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hah, just came in to post something similar. Hopefully he doesnt improve it too much lol.

His biggest competition is Sergachev, Fabbro and McAvoy I think.

Sergachev is good but because Russia never takes young defencemen to the tournament I think Serge will stay just out of the top 10.
Fabbro looks great but it's hard to gauge his abilities in the league he is in, so he may drop a little.
McAvoy looks to be more of a defensive minded Dman. Not really huge potential for a #1 two-way guy, I think he stays out of the top 15.
Juolevi looks like the next best defencemen in the draft after Chychrun now and will definitely be a top 10 pick. He's looking like the Joe Thornton of offensive defencemen. Just an elite passer with elite vision and elite offensive reads.

If the draft was held today with the current standings and the Jets took Juolevi with the 6th pick and Matthews, Chych, Laine, Pulju and Tkachuk were off the board I would in no way be upset with that pick. I'd actually be pretty ecstatic.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Shoots left!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
His biggest competition is Sergachev, Fabbro and McAvoy I think.

Sergachev is good but because Russia never takes young defencemen to the tournament I think Serge will stay just out of the top 10.
Fabbro looks great but it's hard to gauge his abilities in the league he is in, so he may drop a little.
McAvoy looks to be more of a defensive minded Dman. Not really huge potential for a #1 two-way guy, I think he stays out of the top 15.
Juolevi looks like the next best defencemen in the draft after Chychrun now and will definitely be a top 10 pick. He's looking like the Joe Thornton of offensive defencemen. Just an elite passer with elite vision and elite offensive reads.

If the draft was held today with the current standings and the Jets took Juolevi with the 6th pick and Matthews, Chych, Laine, Pulju and Tkachuk were off the board I would in no way be upset with that pick. I'd actually be pretty ecstatic.

Great post, agree with you.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I am envisioning a future of Ehlers-Thorburn and Puljujarvi-Peluso...we would be set

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Getting one of those big Finnish wingers and Juolevi would be a huge draft score...even better than getting Matthews...I think Matthews goes number 1 but the gap has been closed.

What is really interesting is how Marner and Strome a year older were outplayed by Puli and Laine.

Given that context, getting one of them would be very very exciting..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad