Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Currently intrigued by the following three with our Chicago pick:

1. Riley Tufte, LW
2. Dante Fabbro, D
3. Rasmus Asplund, C

I highly doubt Fabbro doesn't go in the teens.

If we left the draft with Sergachev I'd be pretty happy at this point, not as happy as Laine or Matthews or PLD but happy.

I'd also like to see more of the cohort and statistical models for guys in the first round I always find those interesting.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone going down to Grand Forks to catch any U18 games? I'm going to be down there that weekend, but Saturday is just a relegation game. I could probably catch the Bronze game on Sunday at 3pm but not the Gold game at 7pm. They're selling those two medal games as a package for $35/$30/$25 per seat.

Troub North

Dec 20, 2013
Toronto
NHL Central Scouting put out their final list today, in which they moved PLD to the top of the North American prospects pool (previously 7th). It's been discussed in this thread that PLD is a center, but they have him listed as a LW. Can anyone who's seen him play comment on whether he lines up at C or LW?

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
What's the report on Charles McAvoy? HE's all over the place in the rankings. Some have him as high as 12, some have him out of the 1st round. Could he be a good pick with our CHI pick?

Seems like he ticks a lot of boxes.

Found this report...

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/charlie-mcavoy/

Sturdy two-way defenseman who immediately became a key cog on Boston University’s blueline. A native of Long Island who was reared in the Gulls’ program before a run with last year’s NTDP under-18 squad, McAvoy is built for the modern game – thick, explosive and assertive. He’s a strong skater with excellent balance and superior mobility both up and across the ice. McAvoy loves to join the rush and can read a play as good as any of his draft-eligible peers – something we saw last year as a defenseman on Team USA.

He’s a confident puck carrier who attacks openings with speed, but can also slow it down and patiently weigh his options. Always moving his feet, McAvoy is capable of slipping through gaps without the puck, or stickhandling around traffic while keeping the puck close to his body. He has a heavy shot that can be delivered with accuracy, and his passes are tape to tape, An undervalued part of his game is physicality, which gets him in hot water as he’s still learning the difference between a timely, legal bone-crushing hit and gross negligence of the rule book.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Assuming we pick 3 and laine+matthews are gonr, i want:

Dubois
Chychrun
Sergachyov.

With Chicago's pick I dont care as long as its not Jones or Thompson and I will die if we get abramov.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the perspectives, ps.
I agree that Tkachuk could be the power forward the Jets lack. Some think that's what Lemieux will bring, but I believe Tkachuk has far more top-6 potential. To be honest, part of the reason I balk at young Tkachuk is that I disliked his father so much...I know that is ridiculous for many reasons, but character is extremely important to me...and to the Jets.
The big question is not PLD vs Tkachuk, but who we will draft at #7, if it comes to that and both are gone. That is a likely scenario, and if one of them is still there, the choice will be easy.
I admit to not having seen Juolevi aside from the WJC, but have done my DD on him and his strengths are exactly what the Jets covet: high hockey IQ and good decision making in a >6'2 package.
I called him Enstrom redux here...
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=116700941&postcount=242
...but he has Suter upside IMO:smart, understated, always does the right thing.

My hopes are that this draft is more turbulent than normal. Its probably just a coping mechanism forged by the late Jets surge knocking us into a potentially tougher draft slot compounded by false hope from our unusual fallers luck in the last two drafts :laugh:

I believe (prey) that one of Puljujarvi, PLD, or Tkachuk will be around when we pick unless we get the 8th slot then all bets are off. I know is seems like it won't happen but I am getting the odd vibes from this draft.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Much quicker pace to the game tonight. Still no sign of Bean or Jost. I guess they are banged up?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought Chychrin was the best player in the first for team Canada. Can't say that I'm a big fan of our forwards though, a lot of sloppy passing.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Thx for the reports. Are these camp rosters set or can players on teams knocked out this weekend in CHL still get added?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
A lot more "suits" here tonight scouting this game including Ryan Smyth. Is he employed by anyone?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Thx for the reports. Are these camp rosters set or can players on teams knocked out this weekend in CHL still get added?

Canada plans on adding. They invited a bunch of 2017 draft guys to camp to get experience

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Shaw scores on the redirect of the Chycrun shot pass.

Rasmussen get's Canada's 2nd from Bitten

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Bean broke his foot apparently, so he's done.

Too bad. Wanted to see him play. Bean is still listed on the roster sheet they handed out tonight. Morrison is also listed.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Canada broke out a Fabbro Chychrun pairing for a late 4 on 4. Gave up the go ahead goal misplaying a 2 on 2 rush LOL

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Hows Fabbro looking tonight?

He's steady, not flashy like Chychrun. Reminds me of a right handed Morrissey.

Will Bitten was my favorite forward. Like his game. Didn't know anything about him before seeing these two games. Was not impressed with Laberge again

I am actually more intrigued by the 2017 draft watching these players.

Rasmussen
Comtois
Malenstyn
Hague

Among others. Seems Canada has more talent in that draft.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That was a pretty exciting game for an exhibition, both teams played hard and physical.

Team Canada players:

Mcleod: Fast and has solid mitts but he doesn't stand out that much for me. I most certainly don't entertain taking him in the top 10 nor do I like him enough to burn Chi pick on him.

Fabro: I didn't mind his game at all, as Aveco said he's a pretty solid all around guy that doesn't play an very noticeable game. He shares some traits with Josh, but doesn't posses his vision/passing ability imo. He might be an interesting pick in the 20's or early 2nd round if still there.

Chychrin: There were some gaffs, but all in all I thought he was very strong. To do my best Garret impersonation, he was excellent in his ability to exit his own end/enter the opposition's end with control. I really like his ability to rush the puck (Very Myers esc imo) but unlike Myers his final delivery seemed on the mark all night. He showed he has a very hard wrister (hit a post and a cross bar) as well some nice creativity on the point (His shot pass assist was quite nice). Needs to work a bit on his gap control and getting his shots through but all in all I really like this kids tools and would be quite happy to draft him if Mathews, Laine and PLD are gone.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
What's the report on Charles McAvoy? HE's all over the place in the rankings. Some have him as high as 12, some have him out of the 1st round. Could he be a good pick with our CHI pick?

Seems like he ticks a lot of boxes.

Found this report...

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/charlie-mcavoy/

Sturdy two-way defenseman who immediately became a key cog on Boston University’s blueline. A native of Long Island who was reared in the Gulls’ program before a run with last year’s NTDP under-18 squad, McAvoy is built for the modern game – thick, explosive and assertive. He’s a strong skater with excellent balance and superior mobility both up and across the ice. McAvoy loves to join the rush and can read a play as good as any of his draft-eligible peers – something we saw last year as a defenseman on Team USA.

He’s a confident puck carrier who attacks openings with speed, but can also slow it down and patiently weigh his options. Always moving his feet, McAvoy is capable of slipping through gaps without the puck, or stickhandling around traffic while keeping the puck close to his body. He has a heavy shot that can be delivered with accuracy, and his passes are tape to tape, An undervalued part of his game is physicality, which gets him in hot water as he’s still learning the difference between a timely, legal bone-crushing hit and gross negligence of the rule book.

Superficially the numbers compare favorably with Werenski's draft year and from what fans of other teams keep telling us, Hockey East is harder to score in than the Big10, could be a good pick for whoever drafts him in the teens, I don't see him dropping to our Chicago pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad