Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As to the debate about the D men and why we are having trouble agreeing let me muddy the waters more.

I loved the top 3 D last season......would have crawled over broken glass to draft Provorov. This year when I watch I see the flaws more than the strengths of the current top guys.

I am hoping to get out to see Chychrun tonight so report to follow (one game live viewing sample size alert although the that is one more live game than usual :laugh:)

I saw Juolvei in the game Sunday night and came away wanting for more. My concern is he lacks quickness, his puck retrieval was too slow last night. When he had to turn and go get it he lacked ability to separate, arrive early, and make a quick play. The forechecking was eating him and the rest of the Knights D for a good portion of the game. He is skilled but lacks the quickness I like in a D man. I like that he is 6'2" smart and smooth but..........

Sergachev has droll worthy size already and he does most things very well with the puck on his stick. Currently as a left shot he plays right side allot so that is a nice option. I see him being NHL ready in 2 seasons. What concerns me is he looks lazy and disinterested without the puck in his own zone far too often. When I watch him he loses his man too much and just generally looks like he is asleep too often. I think his laid back demeanor in his own zone might drive me nuts.

In past drafts I have loved some D men allot. This year so far I don't like the risk and downside associated with 2 of the top 3 so far. I want to see Chychrun live before I comment.

So all that being said this is where I would trust the TNSE scouting staff. If they are in love with one of these three D in the 6th 7th draft spot then I will roll with it. They have had away more viewings and would have much broader sample size to work with

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
As to the debate about the D men and why we are having trouble agreeing let me muddy the waters more.

I loved the top 3 D last season......would have crawled over broken glass to draft Provorov. This year when I watch I see the flaws more than the strengths of the current top guys.

I am hoping to get out to see Chychrun tonight so report to follow (one game live viewing sample size alert although the that is one more live game than usual :laugh:)

I saw Juolvei in the game Sunday night and came away wanting for more. My concern is he lacks quickness, his puck retrieval was too slow last night. When he had to turn and go get it he lacked ability to separate, arrive early, and make a quick play. The forechecking was eating him and the rest of the Knights D for a good portion of the game. He is skilled but lacks the quickness I like in a D man. I like that he is 6'2" smart and smooth but..........

Sergachev has droll worthy size already and he does most things very well with the puck on his stick. Currently as a left shot he plays right side allot so that is a nice option. I see him being NHL ready in 2 seasons. What concerns me is he looks lazy and disinterested without the puck in his own zone far too often. When I watch him he loses his man too much and just generally looks like he is asleep too often. I think his laid back demeanor in his own zone might drive me nuts.

In past drafts I have loved some D men allot. This year so far I don't like the risk and downside associated with 2 of the top 3 so far. I want to see Chychrun live before I comment.

So all that being said this is where I would trust the TNSE scouting staff. If they are in love with one of these three D in the 6th 7th draft spot then I will roll with it. They have had away more viewings and would have much broader sample size to work with

If Columbus picks 2nd and Jets pick 6th would you trade Columbus born Roslovic along with our 6th to get Laine?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Columbus picks 2nd and Jets pick 6th would you trade Columbus born Roslovic along with our 6th to get Laine?

Great question!

I have not seen enough of Roslovic to be able to answer. I love Laine but at 6th I can see us getting a gem as well so it all depends on Jack really. It's going to be an interesting draft day and we have enough assets now that I believe more options are on the table than ever. 3 picks in the top 36 is impressive so I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
We need the odds table stickied somewhere for a few weeks.

Here is a quick refresh:

#7 - 39.3%
LP - 23.5%
#8 - 17.9%
#6 - 17.5%
#9 - 1.5%

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We need the odds table stickied somewhere for a few weeks.

Here is a quick refresh:

#7 - 39.3%
LP - 23.5%
#8 - 17.9%
#6 - 17.5%
#9 - 1.5%

This is from: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...-nhl-draft-lottery-final-rules-and-odds-table

I'll put it in the OP as well. Any reason you didn't list the lottery positions for us? We are going to get one of those, y'know. :sarcasm: ;)

Team|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th|10th|11th|12th|13th|14th
Toronto|20|17.486|15.02|47.494|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Edmonton|13.5|13.071|12.478|35.161|25.79|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Vancouver|11.5|11.435|11.259|14.196|37.809|13.801|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Columbus|9.5|9.684|9.816|3.149|27.308|33.186|7.358|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Calgary|8.5|8.767|9.011|0|9.094|35.465|25.467|3.697|0|0|0|0|0|0
Winnipeg|7.5|7.824|8.15|0|0|17.548|39.309|17.94|1.73|0|0|0|0|0
Arizona|6.5|6.856|7.234|0|0|0|27.866|39.14|11.662|0.742|0|0|0|0
Buffalo|6|6.363|6.756|0|0|0|0|39.223|34.764|6.627|0.267|0|0|0
Montreal|5|5.358|5.579|0|0|0|0|0|51.845|28.582|3.375|0.081|0|0
Colorado|3.5|3.808|4.165|0|0|0|0|0|0|64.049|22.807|1.649|0.022|0
NJD|3|3.28|3.608|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|73.551|15.939|0.62|0.003
Ottawa|2.5|2.747|3.038|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|82.331|9.251|0.133
Carolina|2|2.208|2.455|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|90.108|3.23
Boston|1|1.114|1.252|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|96.634

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Currently intrigued by the following three with our Chicago pick:

1. Riley Tufte, LW
2. Dante Fabbro, D
3. Rasmus Asplund, C

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In before we draft him and it looks like I am bandwagon jumping

After My full viewing of his London game Sunday night I have changed my tune on Matthew Tkachuck. He is a really good power forward with an edge and combined with his pedigree he is going to be a hot commodity. He has boat loads of skill but his differentiator is his power and many GM's are going to want him badly because what he offers is in scarce supply these days. I had seen Tkachuck quite a few times in the past but this was my first viewing of him with London and Marner. They were in a heated playoff game with their rival Kitchenor and Matthew's full range of skills were on display. He is built for tough hockey (playoffs) and he fit great with Marner because he is very smart and has a high skill level. I started thinking how perfectly he would fit on the Jets. Our team has added some high end skill guys and Tkachuck fits that bill but more importantly he brings physicality and attitude to our top six. Nothing like playoff hockey to see a kid in a different light. I called him complimentary before but I sold him short.

I prefer PLD over Tkachuck but my guess is many teams will have Tkachuck ahead of PLD. As Mark Edwards said last night that is the closest race in this draft right now in his opinion.

For those that are distraut with our late too good finish all we need is for some teams to love a Nylander, Chychrun, or one of the other two D men and I think one of my top 4 or 5 could be there at 6 or 7.

My top 5 currently are:

Matthews
Laine

PLD, Pool party
Tkachuck

If one of these guys falls to us and TNSE agrees (lottery results notwithstanding) we are getting a very big piece IMO.

Thanks for the perspective. I would not be at all upset if the Jets end up with Tkachuk. I think he's up to 15 primary points in 8 playoff games (9 goals and 6 first assists).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Thanks for the perspective. I would not be at all upset if the Jets end up with Tkachuk. I think he's up to 15 primary points in 8 playoff games (9 goals and 6 first assists).

I've always thought he was a good player - I'm personally just more intrigued by other players at the top end of this draft. If the Jets select him, we'll have a very good player on our hands, who has some qualities that many of our current players lack.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Why do you guys torture yourself like this? We are not winning the lottery, that is not a Jets thing,

It has nothin to do with any team....it's just random ping pong balls with numbers on them. All teams are unlikely to win actually

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Wow, I never noticed Jets have better odds ending up 8th rather than 6th. #ThanksScheifele

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I've always thought he was a good player - I'm personally just more intrigued by other players at the top end of this draft. If the Jets select him, we'll have a very good player on our hands, who has some qualities that many of our current players lack.

Yea my issue before Sunday was like you Gin I was and still am more intrigued with my top 4 but pre Sunday the drop from my PLD/Puljujarvi tier to Tkachuck was more significant. I still love my top 4 more but before I would have felt a bit let down with Tkachuk but not any more. The MT tier is now very close to PLD/PJ's.

He would be a great fit with our young core and does have elements that set him apart and would be a really good mix.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/mock-drafts/2016-april/

Pre Lotto mock draft has taking Chychrun and Benson in the 1st.

Don't really agree with there reasoning behind it though

That is the thing with this draft. I just feel there is a strong possibility of so many different combinations after the top 2. Part of the reason I am getting over the late season surge is that I feel like we are going to have some very good options without lottery luck.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Game starts at 7pm BTW (not sure if you knew) Hockey Canada original press release had the game starting at 8pm

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Game starts at 7pm BTW (not sure if you knew) Hockey Canada original press release had the game starting at 8pm

Haha, yeah that messed me up on Sunday. Good thing I went early anticipating big crowds. I only ended up missing the first few minutes. I think I may go again tonight. I would like to see more of Chychrin and Jost.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Haha, yeah that messed me up on Sunday. Good thing I went early anticipating big crowds. I only ended up missing the first few minutes. I think I may go again tonight. I would like to see more of Chychrin and Jost.

was it busy there?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
In before we draft him and it looks like I am bandwagon jumping
After My full viewing of his London game Sunday night I have changed my tune on Matthew Tkachuck. He is a really good power forward with an edge and combined with his pedigree he is going to be a hot commodity. ... Our team has added some high end skill guys and Tkachuck fits that bill but more importantly he brings physicality and attitude to our top six. Nothing like playoff hockey to see a kid in a different light. I called him complimentary before but I sold him short.

I prefer PLD over Tkachuck but my guess is many teams will have Tkachuck ahead of PLD.

For those that are distraut with our late too good finish all we need is for some teams to love a Nylander, Chychrun, or one of the other two D men and I think one of my top 4 or 5 could be there at 6 or 7.

....I am hoping to get out to see Chychrun tonight so report to follow (one game live viewing sample size alert although the that is one more live game than usual :laugh:)

I saw Juolvei in the game Sunday night and came away wanting for more. My concern is he lacks quickness, his puck retrieval was too slow last night....
Sergachev has droll worthy size already and he does most things very well with the puck on his stick. Currently as a left shot he plays right side allot so that is a nice option. I see him being NHL ready in 2 seasons. What concerns me is he looks lazy and disinterested ...
So all that being said this is where I would trust the TNSE scouting staff.
Thanks for the perspectives, ps.
I agree that Tkachuk could be the power forward the Jets lack. Some think that's what Lemieux will bring, but I believe Tkachuk has far more top-6 potential. To be honest, part of the reason I balk at young Tkachuk is that I disliked his father so much...I know that is ridiculous for many reasons, but character is extremely important to me...and to the Jets.
The big question is not PLD vs Tkachuk, but who we will draft at #7, if it comes to that and both are gone. That is a likely scenario, and if one of them is still there, the choice will be easy.
I admit to not having seen Juolevi aside from the WJC, but have done my DD on him and his strengths are exactly what the Jets covet: high hockey IQ and good decision making in a >6'2 package.
I called him Enstrom redux here...
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=116700941&postcount=242
...but he has Suter upside IMO:smart, understated, always does the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad