Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Just jumping off from your post here...

Eberle and RNH are both making $6 million/year long term, yes? In the case of the Jets, acquiring one or the other would make that guy the second highest paid member of the Jets behind Buff, correct? So if you're Chevy, are you going to go into negotiations with your own guys (though UFAs of significance are a couple of years away) and having them looking at Eberle for example and saying "well, he's getting 6..."?

From my perspective, RNH, yeah, ok. But Eberle? I'm not wanting Eberle on the Jets as our second highest paid guy. Creates all sorts of headaches for management in terms of pay structure under the cap. And I'm not sure there's not a lot more GMs out there thinking the same thing. So just how movable are those guys at that pay rate?

Hall/Eberle/RNH are all $6 million and all are more likely to go from Edmonton than McDavid or Draisaitl I'd think. But who's going to jump at them at that pay range? I have a feeling that Edmonton's former management has done more long term damage than they are given credit for. That's not to say that Hall/Eberle/RNH aren't good hockey players, they are.

Totally agree with your line of thinking here Buggs, and I think I mentioned the same on the main boards in an Eberle to Jets thread a while ago. I'm not a major fan of Eberle, but I can acknowledge he is a good goal scorer. But with his overall game and lack of 2 way play, he is definitely not a guy I would want to spend 6 million of my cap on. I think some GM out there might though, if they are starved for offense.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Laine doing Laine things.

Personally, I think there is a clear top 2, and then a very large gap. I don't have the clip handy, but the Laine goal from a few days ago where he took a snapshot from the dot that went top shelf is elite IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's NO WAY that PLD falls to the Jets and it's truly unfortunate that a meaningless win streak will prevent the opportunity at a great centre prospect like him and before anyone mentions Connor, I'll say that was a unique situation and a similar scenario will not repeat itself.

Anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves into trying to find a silver lining in this dark cloud cast on the franchise.

Winning one of the lotteries is a fairytale fantasy. Things like that don't happen to Jets fans.

Watch as the Oilers draft Chychrun and he turns out to be a true stud #1.

There are several ways. Do I need to list them? Seriously, I know you can think of them for yourself.

As for winning the lottery, please! Your statement is ridiculous. This is not Lotto Max where 1 ticket has ~1 chance in 21 million or 649 where it has ~1 in 14 million. There are only 14 teams in this lottery. There are 3 prizes. We have the 6th best odds among those 14 teams. We have approximately a 30% chance at 1 of the prizes. That is far from fairytale fantasy territory. And yes things 'like' that do happen to Jets fans. 1)We got a second chance at an NHL team. Little, in the middle of nowhere, winterbound Winnipeg has an NHL team fcs! 2)I give you Niko Ehlers. 3)Mark Scheifele. 4)Kyle Connor. 5)Some goalie from the Odessa effing Jackalopes! 6)Nic Petan in the 2nd round. It seems to me that things 'like' that have been happening to Jets fans pretty regularly.

IIRC the single most likely spot for us to pick this year is 7th. PLD is probably gone by then but he is possibly available. Much more likely we get to choose between 3 of the top 3 D in this year's class. That just happens to match our greatest overall need. We won't get a player there who will help us next year but probably will be a couple of years away. That is a little disappointing but worse things happen every day, even to people who are not Jets fans.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Nothing good ever happens to the Jets - especially in the first round of the draft (except for Scheifele at 7, Trouba at 9, Ehlers at 9 and Connor at 17). :sarcasm:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If, IF, the Jets win a top 3 lottery pick, I wonder if they would be aggressive to move up to grab one of the top 3 LH d in addition to the top 3 pick? Thereby grabbing one of Chyckrun, Joulevi or Sergachev in addition to one of Matthews, Laine or Pulijujarvi (or Dubois).

That might take a 2nd top-10 pick or top-12. What would get a second top 10-12 pick?

Chicago's 1st (hopefully #24 or #25, or better)+Roslovic+?

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Why do you guys torture yourself like this? We are not winning the lottery, that is not a Jets thing,

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If, IF, the Jets win a top 3 lottery pick, I wonder if they would be aggressive to move up to grab one of the top 3 LH d in addition to the top 3 pick? Thereby grabbing one of Chyckrun, Joulevi or Sergachev in addition to one of Matthews, Laine or Pulijujarvi (or Dubois).

That might take a 2nd top-10 pick or top-12. What would get a second top 10-12 pick?

Chicago's 1st (hopefully #24 or #25, or better)+Roslovic+?

That's the dream!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder if the Jets might consider really trying to make a move at the draft to get a player like Laine. If Edmonton ends up with the #2 or #3 pick, would the Jets consider moving Trouba or Myers (Jets might need to add for the #2) to nab the #2 or #3 overall?

Then, if the Jets get the #6-7 overall, they could end up drafting.....

Laine / Pulju
Juolevi / Chychrun

#25-30

Postma becomes the 3rd pairing RHD (he's been very good this season). Sign Poolman to develop a bit more RHD depth.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Interesting Thought.. Let's pretend for a moment here...

We win the Lottery, personally i think we end up with a top 3 pick for some odd reason. I just feel Draft Gods will be on our side. But we win the lotto, pick 1st, Arizona wins pick 2 let's say... They want NEED COVET Matthews,

1st plus Trouba for 2nd plus OEL? Yay or Nay. ?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have to wonder if Edmonton will do something bold and out of character, such as taking Chychrun at no. 2. They have always stuck to taking forwards in recent years, is it possible we see them take best defenceman available, if they believe Chychrun could be 'that guy', like an Ekblad? Certainly they could also trade the pick for defensive help, but if they use the pick...

Barring changes from the lottery..

1. Toronto - Matthews
2. Edmonton - Chychrun
3. Vancouver - Laine
4. Columbus - Puljujarvi
5. Calgary - Tkachuk
6. Winnipeg - Dubois

:dunno:

The Oilers would love a big, talented RHD to complement Klefbom and Nurse. My guess is that they would love to target Myers, Trouba or Hamonic. My guess is that Hamonic isn't all that interested in moving to Edmonton, so Myers and Trouba might be at the top of the Oilers' list. If I'm Chevy, I'm at least listening, but playing hard to get.

I could see the Oilers preferring to move the #2 or #3 pick for an established top-end RHD like Myers or Trouba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

We win the Lottery, personally i think we end up with a top 3 pick for some odd reason. I just feel Draft Gods will be on our side. But we win the lotto, pick 1st, Arizona wins pick 2 let's say... They want NEED COVET Matthews,

My main concern is that OEL only has 3 years before he's UFA. I think you have to draft and keep Matthews if you get the chance.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Not enough of an overpay for me considering OEL contract status.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
McKeen's latest.

1. Patrick Laine
2. Auston Matthews
3. Michael McLeod
4. Jesse Puljujarvi
5. Olli Juolevi
6. Matthew Tkachuk
7. Pierre Luc Dubois
8. Alexander Nylander
9. Mikhail Sergachyov
10. Jakob Chychrun

if this doesn't make you excited....

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
My main concern is that OEL only has 3 years before he's UFA. I think you have to draft and keep Matthews if you get the chance.

Arizona would have to pony up more almost to a point of being ridiculous to disregard, i agree keep Mathews pick defencemen with Chicago's first and our second round pick.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
McKeen's latest.

1. Patrick Laine
2. Auston Matthews
3. Michael McLeod
4. Jesse Puljujarvi
5. Olli Juolevi
6. Matthew Tkachuk
7. Pierre Luc Dubois
8. Alexander Nylander
9. Mikhail Sergachyov
10. Jakob Chychrun

Almost every year something crazy/ridiculous/nonsensical happens at the draft. One of the best parts of the whole process.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
McKeen's latest.

1. Patrick Laine
2. Auston Matthews
3. Michael McLeod
4. Jesse Puljujarvi
5. Olli Juolevi
6. Matthew Tkachuk
7. Pierre Luc Dubois
8. Alexander Nylander
9. Mikhail Sergachyov
10. Jakob Chychrun

McLeod at 3 is a joke lol :laugh: Appreciate them making their list interesting for more clicks....but cmon man...

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I was thinking about this over lunch,Tage Thompson is a really intruiguing prospect, how is a guy with that size and that good NCAA rookie scoring ranked so low?

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Agree with all of this. In addition;
1)The Jets were never even close to being a bottom 3 team in the league, based on 5X5 metrics and goal diff. They are actually closer to bottom 12 than bottom 3, so why complain about a bottom 6 finish?
2)Between draft positions 4-6, there is very little difference in the Matthews lottery--it's >90% odds against, so it's not worth wasting time or energy hoping for such a low probability event.
3)If they don't have lottery luck, they will likely draft between #6-8. The choices will include some very good players. I've bolded the ones I'd want:
Chychrun--I'm getting a Bogo vibe here...suspect he'll go early and I won't miss him
Tkachuk--Will likely go early and I won't miss nabbing him either
PLD--He'd be an absolute steal
Nylander--Don't want or need a smaller skilled winger
Sergachev--Chevy won't draft another Russian this high as he is still scarred by the Burmi experience
Juolevi--This is a guy I want if PLD isn't around....Enstrom redux, but with size and youth. Perfect complement for our corps of RHD.

I agree with almost everything you said heren espeeeeeecially the bolded. I actually called him Bustgosian in another thread.
Although I would take Tkachuk if PLD and Juo were both gone.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I just ran the simulator 6 times and we were 7th each time. Worked out ok though as according to the rankings on the site, we picked PLD every time. I'm ok with that. :)

That's funny, I ran it 6 times as well. We were 1st twice, 2nd twice, 3rd once and 7th once. Edmonton did not receive a top 3 pick. Being as I liked the outcome, I felt it was best to quit while so far ahead and rewaych some PLD highlights.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If there's a forward on the board that's still considered a home run at 6/we then I think your smarter to take you second option.

Either way at six I'm actually less anxious for the draft.

I now have no expectation of winning the lottery nor do I have to worry that one of my top 4 will still be on the board and the jets don't take him.

That being said if were picking 6-7-8 and one of those guys falls, and we DON'T take him I'll be really, really bummed.

In before we draft him and it looks like I am bandwagon jumping

After My full viewing of his London game Sunday night I have changed my tune on Matthew Tkachuck. He is a really good power forward with an edge and combined with his pedigree he is going to be a hot commodity. He has boat loads of skill but his differentiator is his power and many GM's are going to want him badly because what he offers is in scarce supply these days. I had seen Tkachuck quite a few times in the past but this was my first viewing of him with London and Marner. They were in a heated playoff game with their rival Kitchenor and Matthew's full range of skills were on display. He is built for tough hockey (playoffs) and he fit great with Marner because he is very smart and has a high skill level. I started thinking how perfectly he would fit on the Jets. Our team has added some high end skill guys and Tkachuck fits that bill but more importantly he brings physicality and attitude to our top six. Nothing like playoff hockey to see a kid in a different light. I called him complimentary before but I sold him short.

I prefer PLD over Tkachuck but my guess is many teams will have Tkachuck ahead of PLD. As Mark Edwards said last night that is the closest race in this draft right now in his opinion.

For those that are distraut with our late too good finish all we need is for some teams to love a Nylander, Chychrun, or one of the other two D men and I think one of my top 4 or 5 could be there at 6 or 7.

My top 5 currently are:

Matthews
Laine

PLD, Pool party
Tkachuck

If one of these guys falls to us and TNSE agrees (lottery results notwithstanding) we are getting a very big piece IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad