Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would have liked the Jets to have a higher seed in the lottery because it gives more choices. But I think it's pretty naïve to think that we know that the 4th or 5th pick is going to be a lot better than the 6th or 7th pick.

All things considered, I like how the latter part of the year played out.

1) Traded Ladd for a 1st and Dano, making a statement move towards youth.
2) Re-signed Buff to be a core through the transition (along with Wheels and Little).
3) Got a chance to see that the Jets youth is actually pretty good at hockey, and that ESW are likely ready to be a true top line.
4) Still managed to go on enough of a youth movement, trade Ladd and shut down some vets to end up with the 6th lottery seed. Sure, it's one or two places lower than it perhaps could have been, but for a team that already has a lot of top-end young talent, having the 6th lottery seed and another two picks between 25 and 36 is pretty encouraging.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, more of a steal than Ehlers. Connor is just amazing so he cant be better than that but Dubois shouldn't go lower than 4.

Even if the Jets had finished in the 3rd lottery seed, there is a better than 50% chance that they would pick #5 or #6.

I would have liked the odds to be more in the Jets' favour, but given how the lottery is set up this year and the cluster of players from #4-9, it's a bit premature for all the doom and gloom.

Besides, if the Jets end up with a stud LHD from this draft, it would really solidify their weakest organizational position.

I think it's not unlikely that Chychrun and Tkachuk go ahead of PLD, which would push him down to #6. The Jets have a 40% chance of top-3 or #6, and 80% chance of top-3 or #6-7.

I'm confident that the Jets will leave the draft with a nice haul to supplement what is starting to look like a very group of young talent in the organization.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Not convinced Jets will be picking 6th or potentially higher. Probably end in 7th or even 8th. 9th would be crazy unfortunate even for Winnipeg fans.

Like I said previously, not hoping on anything but worse case scenario until the lotto balls make the pick # reality.

It's a 1.7% chance the Jets pick 9th, so I'm hoping that isn't the case. And 18% of 8th, which I hope not. So we have an 80% chance of 7th or better. Good chance he may go at 5 but you can't say guaranteed he's gone.

If Oilers got 2nd pick, I wonder what the cost would be to flip them spots to get Laine and they take a Dman in our spot.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
It's a 1.7% chance the Jets pick 9th, so I'm hoping that isn't the case. And 18% of 8th, which I hope not. So we have an 80% chance of 7th or better. Good chance he may go at 5 but you can't say guaranteed he's gone.

If Oilers got 2nd pick, I wonder what the cost would be to flip them spots to get Laine and they take a Dman in our spot.

Too much in all likelihood. On that note, what asset or player does it take and where does Chevy draw the line to move from say #7 or #8 up to #4?

Interested to hear what others consider to be too much or what the expected ask would be.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Regardless of where they pick they'll end up with a shot at a good player - but I want a potentially great player after this mess of a season.

I'm hoping they can find that witha lottery win, PLD or one of the big three D men. All three defenders make me nervous, but there is huge upside across the board.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
the lack of consensus on the top 3 D is concerning. think i'd prefer to stick to a forward...at least down to Tkachuk, if not Nylander as well.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
the lack of consensus on the top 3 D is concerning. think i'd prefer to stick to a forward...at least down to Tkachuk, if not Nylander as well.

Why is lack concensus concerning? To me that is opportunity.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like Chychrin so far tonight.

Big/strong
Excellent skater
Has a lot of poise with the puck and some pretty nice hands.
Positionally pretty solid as well

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Leafs - Matthews
Edmonton - Laine
Vancouver -Chychrun
Columbus - Puljujarvi
Calgary - Tkachuk/PLD
Winnipeg - PLD/Tkachuk? Juolevi/Sergachev?

I think it'll be something like this for how things are now. If someone behind us jumps up then that obviously changes things, but those are my guesses right now who we might be looking at, at that spot.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It concerns me too, but all D man projections make me nervous. I do see a pile of upside in the big three - each of them has their own unique strengths and they all have NHL size. There might be a franchise D in there - there might be two or three. Or none. I don't know.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Leafs - Matthews
Edmonton - Laine
Vancouver -Chychrun
Columbus - Puljujarvi
Calgary - Tkachuk/PLD
Winnipeg - PLD/Tkachuk? Juolevi/Sergachev?

I think it'll be something like this for how things are now. If someone behind us jumps up then that obviously changes things, but those are my guesses right now who we might be looking at, at that spot.

TK would make a ton of sense for Calgary.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It concerns me too, but all D man projections make me nervous. I do see a pile of upside in the big three - each of them has their own unique strengths and they all have NHL size. There might be a franchise D in there - there might be two or three. Or none. I don't know.

We all want franchise, but lets face it, a number one or two LHD is something that we will gladly take. They could flop, but so could any prospect in any draft. Why live life on the skeptic side, lets enjoy and think positively. I think we will get a good player that will contribute one way or another to our playoff runs.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
We all want franchise, but lets face it, a number one or two LHD is something that we will gladly take. They could flop, but so could any prospect in any draft. Why live life on the skeptic side, lets enjoy and think positively. I think we will get a good player that will contribute one way or another to our playoff runs.

Realism isn't skepticism - nor is acknowledging that there are many possible outcomes and that I can't predict the future.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Realism isn't skepticism - nor is acknowledging that I can't predict the future.

Maybe you're unrealistic. You say it's realism but you really don't know. Last year Hanifin, Provorov and Werenski were all risks, they all look good now, I think we will pick up a good one this year. Risk is always involved with Ds, but I feel good about Chych and Julo.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Maybe you're unrealistic. You say it's realism but you really don't know. Last year Hanifin, Provorov and Werenski were all risks, they all look good now, I think we will pick up a good one this year. Risk is always involved with Ds, but I feel good about Chych and Julo.
It is realism. I said I don't know and that there could be anywhere between zero and three franchise D among the big three in this draft. There is no leaning to that statement - nothing positive or negative. That is reality.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I would have liked the Jets to have a higher seed in the lottery because it gives more choices. But I think it's pretty naïve to think that we know that the 4th or 5th pick is going to be a lot better than the 6th or 7th pick.

All things considered, I like how the latter part of the year played out.

1) Traded Ladd for a 1st and Dano, making a statement move towards youth.
2) Re-signed Buff to be a core through the transition (along with Wheels and Little).
3) Got a chance to see that the Jets youth is actually pretty good at hockey, and that ESW are likely ready to be a true top line.
4) Still managed to go on enough of a youth movement, trade Ladd and shut down some vets to end up with the 6th lottery seed. Sure, it's one or two places lower than it perhaps could have been, but for a team that already has a lot of top-end young talent, having the 6th lottery seed and another two picks between 25 and 36 is pretty encouraging.
Agree with all of this. In addition;
1)The Jets were never even close to being a bottom 3 team in the league, based on 5X5 metrics and goal diff. They are actually closer to bottom 12 than bottom 3, so why complain about a bottom 6 finish?
2)Between draft positions 4-6, there is very little difference in the Matthews lottery--it's >90% odds against, so it's not worth wasting time or energy hoping for such a low probability event.
3)If they don't have lottery luck, they will likely draft between #6-8. The choices will include some very good players. I've bolded the ones I'd want:
Chychrun--I'm getting a Bogo vibe here...suspect he'll go early and I won't miss him
Tkachuk--Will likely go early and I won't miss nabbing him either
PLD--He'd be an absolute steal
Nylander--Don't want or need a smaller skilled winger
Sergachev--Chevy won't draft another Russian this high as he is still scarred by the Burmi experience
Juolevi--This is a guy I want if PLD isn't around....Enstrom redux, but with size and youth. Perfect complement for our corps of RHD.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I like Chychrin so far tonight.

Big/strong
Excellent skater
Has a lot of poise with the puck and some pretty nice hands.
Positionally pretty solid as well

Chych wasn't particularly good in the 2nd period though. Too bad Fabbro is a right shot. I like what I see.

The Stanley Quenneville pairing looks just like Myers and Toby

Disappointed that Bean and Jost are not dressed.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If we are slotted at 7 or 8, which player could go ahead of us where the pick could be a bit of a reach? Bean, McCleod, Keller, Jost. Any chance any of those guys go at 6 or 7.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I know I'll be in the extreme minority here, but I don't want a winger. If we get the 2/3 pick, it would be nice, don't get me wrong, and Laine or Puljujarvi would be great, but I don't think we require a winger. Anywhere in our lineup. I believe that Brendan Lemieux has top-6 upside. I'm probably nuts, but I do believe he can be a Lucic-ish/Jenner-ish big wing. Factor in Wheeler, Perreault, Ehlers and Connor, not to mention Dano and Petan and I just don't think we are hurting for a wing.

I think the Jets have the pieces necessary to be a very, very good hockey team. Where we need assistance is high-end depth on the blueline, on the left side. This draft has a couple of players that fit the bill, right where we are likely to select.

I'd be over the moon if we landed one of Juolevi, Chychrun or Sergachev. I feel that their respective upsides are on par with everybody not named Matthews. Obviously, D are harder to project based on history, so there is that downside, but I'm not going to be upset taking Juolevi instead of Puljujarvi, hypothetically. I might even consider it a slight win.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
If we are slotted at 7 or 8, which player could go ahead of us where the pick could be a bit of a reach? Bean, McCleod, Keller, Jost. Any chance any of those guys go at 6 or 7.

I have a crazy feeling that Logan Brown will end up going earlier than expected.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I know I'll be in the extreme minority here, but I don't want a winger. If we get the 2/3 pick, it would be nice, don't get me wrong, and Laine or Puljujarvi would be great, but I don't think we require a winger. Anywhere in our lineup. I believe that Brendan Lemieux has top-6 upside. I'm probably nuts, but I do believe he can be a Lucic-ish/Jenner-ish big wing. Factor in Wheeler, Perreault, Ehlers and Connor, not to mention Dano and Petan and I just don't think we are hurting for a wing.

I think the Jets have the pieces necessary to be a very, very good hockey team. Where we need assistance is high-end depth on the blueline, on the left side. This draft has a couple of players that fit the bill, right where we are likely to select.

I'd be over the moon if we landed one of Juolevi, Chychrun or Sergachev. I feel that their respective upsides are on par with everybody not named Matthews. Obviously, D are harder to project based on history, so there is that downside, but I'm not going to be upset taking Juolevi instead of Puljujarvi, hypothetically. I might even consider it a slight win.

Chevy will take BPA. And one thing I have thought for a while now, is we will be able to trade from a position of strength going forward, we have many pieces to move for a dman so that is always in option if we run into trouble a few years down the road.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I was really hoping the last few weeks that we'd be able to finish in the bottom 3, however gave up on that idea a week ago and now im just happy we'll be drafting in the top 10.. It could be worse, cough Boston cough.. I have the feeling we are going to end up with Chychrun or Tkachuk.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Brendan Lemieux has top 6 upside?

Maybe... I really don't see it happening though.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Brendan Lemieux has top 6 upside?

Maybe... I really don't see it happening though.

I'm probably nuts, but I do like his game. I don't see why he cannot play a Booner Jenner style of game, if everything turns right. It would most certainly be unlikely, but I believe Lemieux is a significantly better prospect then guys like Lipon or Kosmachuk who were talked about as bottom-6, or in the case of Kosmo, potential middle-6 players.

Also, I'm a Lemieux fanboy, with pink cellophane glued to the lenses on my spectacles. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad