2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I have a strong feeling were moving up in the draft. The new GM will want to make his mark and could do something like this. As long as Domi doesn't go, I'm happy. The 7th, 20th and Dvorak should easily get us Matthews.

Toronto could then flip the 7th and move up for Tkachuk and bring Dvorak together.

That's the kind of package that I could live with giving up. It's still a lot to give up for 6 spots though.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That's the kind of package that I could live with giving up. It's still a lot to give up for 6 spots though.
its fair value, but strongly doubt Toronto settles for that deal. They've had a pressing need for a 1C since Sundin. Unless they get OEL (and they won't) there's no deal to be made.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
its fair value, but strongly doubt Toronto settles for that deal. They've had a pressing need for a 1C since Sundin. Unless they get OEL (and they won't) there's no deal to be made.

Oh i definitely agree, I'm just stating that's the kind of value I could live with losing. Not this crazy Domi +1st +1st or any of the other ridiculous things TML fans say is "fair value"

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
If we acquire 1 OA, can we surmise that this was the reason Don Maloney was fired? In other words, he was unwilling to pay to move up to 1st.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If we acquire 1 OA, can we surmise that this was the reason Don Maloney was fired? In other words, he was unwilling to pay to move up to 1st.

I don't think that would be the reason. But it WOULD be a sign that this ownership group is truly desperate.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Can't necessarily buy into that logic, as he was let go prior to the lottery being picked. I think that if we knew that the team was picking 7th prior to his being let go, we could theorize that Maloney was not invested in moving up.

I wouldn't be putting too much thought into it. I think that there were some missteps within Maloney's vs. Ice Arizona's process that reared their head in the last 2-3 seasons. Nothing more, nothing less.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

If Maloney not willing to trade to get the 1OV as the reason why he got fired than not only was ownership lying that the Hamliton trade was the last straw but it just goes to show again how clueless our ownership is.

I don't think that would be the reason. But it WOULD be a sign that this ownership group is truly desperate.

Seeing how badly ownership wanted McDavid or Eichel, I do believe deep down ownership wants Matthews.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Desperate? So moving up means your desperate. I don't think so.

Moving up at the cost I've seen bandied about is desperate. And the only reason they'd move up is because Matthews is from Arizona. He's not generational like McDavid and the skill gap between him and guys like Strome and Dvorak is not big enough to warrant moving so many assets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Moving up at the cost I've seen bandied about is desperate. And the only reason they'd move up is because Matthews is from Arizona. He's not generational like McDavid and the skill gap between him and guys like Strome and Dvorak is not big enough to warrant moving so many assets.

The reasons they would move up is not only because Matthews is from Arizona, but he is also a very good player. I think he is better than Eichel. Like you mentioned, the cost would be very high, but I wouldn't call it desperate, but maybe stupidity.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The reasons they would move up is not only because Matthews is from Arizona, but he is also a very good player. I think he is better than Eichel. Like you mentioned, the cost would be very high, but I wouldn't call it desperate, but maybe stupidity.

Desperation = stupidity in this case. It would be a situation where they would not be able to appreciate the wealth of potential in the system because they are blinded by a birth certificate.

Yes, Matthews is a very good player, but he's not someone you sacrifice a guy like Domi and/or OEL plus prospects/picks to get. That's a bad hockey trade. The only reason you'd do that is for marketing purposes and if you're that desperate for marketing help, then the situation is dire indeed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Desperation = stupidity in this case. It would be a situation where they would not be able to appreciate the wealth of potential in the system because they are blinded by a birth certificate.

Yes, Matthews is a very good player, but he's not someone you sacrifice a guy like Domi and/or OEL plus prospects/picks to get. That's a bad hockey trade. The only reason you'd do that is for marketing purposes and if you're that desperate for marketing help, then the situation is dire indeed.

Your only speculating what they would give up, and I don't think OEL would be in any trade except for maybe a McDavid. I would give up Domi, but it would depend on what the + would be.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Maybe not so much a birth certificate but rather a building permit :sarcasm:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Your only speculating what they would give up, and I don't think OEL would be in any trade except for maybe a McDavid. I would give up Domi, but it would depend on what the + would be.

Sure I'm speculating on what the ask would be, but it's informed speculation based on the value of 1OA picks in general and Toronto's needs specifically, as well as averaging the asks from Leaf fans down to a more realistic level.

And my SPECULATION is that in order to get the Matthews pick we'll have to give up one of either Domi or OEL, plus at least one or two of our blue chip prospects and our first rounders.

Matthews. Is. Not. Worth. It.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sure I'm speculating on what the ask would be, but it's informed speculation based on the value of 1OA picks in general and Toronto's needs specifically, as well as averaging the asks from Leaf fans down to a more realistic level.

And my SPECULATION is that in order to get the Matthews pick we'll have to give up one of either Domi or OEL, plus at least one or two of our blue chip prospects and our first rounders.

Matthews. Is. Not. Worth. It.

Of course he is not worth that, and I would doubt we would give up that.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

I think Matthews will eventually end up here, just not at this year's draft. Also, Toronto tends to give up early on some players, so he could be here within 3-6 years.

If AZ is so important, moving up for Tkachuk would be less expensive (depending on where he might be drafted). Edmonton's pick would be a safe bet to get Tkachuk as long as it wouldn't cost us too much (obviously #7 and Stone wouldn't be enough)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Of course he is not worth that, and I would doubt we would give up that.

Hence my original point. :laugh:

I think Matthews will eventually end up here, just not at this year's draft. Also, Toronto tends to give up early on some players, so he could be here within 3-6 years.

My money is if he gives up on Toronto, Chicago's his next desired landing spot.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
First of all, Matthews played very well overseas in a professional league. I'm pretty sure that he is indeed a generational player, in the same conversation as McDavid and Eichel.

Whether we should sell the family farm to obtain Matthews is more dependent upon our evaluation of Strome than it is of Matthews. If Strome is projected to be a top 10 #1C then the resources and talent needed to obtain Matthews are best spent upgrading other parts of the team. If Strome is no longer as highly regarded as he was when he was drafted then the Coyotes should, indeed, sell the farm for Matthews.

IMO you cant win without a top #1C and top goalie.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
rt beat me to it. Just came here to post that draft.

I am not sure about Raddysh. Might opt for Cliff Pu instead. Love the Johansen pick. Might prefer Mette to Green (have not seen him play so blind preference for Mette).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad