2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I say we should trade down,just outside the top 10. We may get luck and have Brown land there (although it's highly unlikely) plus we gain more 2nd and 3rd round picks to let our scouting staff play with.

Plus we still have 20 for McAvoy or Fabbro

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agree that draft is a crap shoot. Theoretically, you should be getting a better player at #5 than #7, and #7 than #12, and so on.

But when you talk circumstances, what circumstance do we have where moving up makes sense? If it is for one of the top 3 forwards, okay, but there is still a massive price to pay for that.

We have enough holes on the NHL roster blue line and enough overall holes in our prospect line (mainly on the blue line) that the circumstance of trading up for Tkachuk and PLD will cost us potential improvement on both of those accounts. If we had a stacked defensive prospect pool, then I would probably be pushing for a move up in the draft, given our resources. But there is little that I have seen to suggest that Tkachuk is worth the negative equity of replenishing our defensive prospects. Unless the entire 2nd and early 3rd round is littered with about 25 potential D prospects that all have tremendous upside.

I agree. I think the only way we move picks is if they are part of a package for an established NHL player, likely on D. I don't see us swapping picks.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I'm not sure if this has been discussed here but Arizona is the front-runner for snagging Datysuk's contract if he does sign a contract with the KHL.

I was thinking maybe we could trade the 20th pick and perhaps Kyle Wood or Dysin Mayo for the 16th pick and Datsyuk's contract.

Too much? Is it even worth jumping up 4 spots?

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I think that favors Detroit, or at least doesn't hurt them as much as it should. They're looking to dump a 7.5M hit on another team.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm not sure if this has been discussed here but Arizona is the front-runner for snagging Datysuk's contract if he does sign a contract with the KHL.

I was thinking maybe we could trade the 20th pick and perhaps Kyle Wood or Dysin Mayo for the 16th pick and Datsyuk's contract.

Too much? Is it even worth jumping up 4 spots?

Not sure I'd do that even without dats' contract, at least for wood.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yup, those are 2 of the 3 Dmen we have in the pipeline. Don't see a Dman included.

20 to Det
16, 4th Rd pick and Datsyuk contract to AZ

Seems more reasonable. It's hard to gauge the value of dats contract though, we all thought we'd get more for taking pronger, and Chicago got and 2nd a a 3rd for a negative value player and a prospect who had a pretty iffy first year.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Seems more reasonable. It's hard to gauge the value of dats contract though, we all thought we'd get more for taking pronger, and Chicago got and 2nd a a 3rd for a negative value player and a prospect who had a pretty iffy first year.

Philly didnt have as much pressure to make the playoffs and we gavr them a contract dump too. I think what just happenee with Chicago is the new valur of cap dumps with expansion looming.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
I'm not sure how/why you're assigning a higher grade to Capobianco as opposed to Mayo. In my books they're both in the let's see what they can do category. Ideally the team will be able to develop some of the "let's see" prospects into viable options to contribute in the not too distant future.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Why help out the Wings? If they come asking, Larkin, Mantha, or their 1st.
Let somebody else help them bid on Stamkos.
The most I would be willing to give back is the 2nd...

We've got to get to the floor somehow and you are nuts and/or in denial if you think Stamkos or any player of that caliber is coming here right now.

Carolina got a good prospect out of Chicago for taking on Bickell's contract. We've got all the leverage to milk them for it. It IS a 7.5 million cap hit. That is no small sum.

Adding a defenseman to my proposal didn't make sense, I apologise.

Either way, there is a good chance we take on that contract so we're not forced to over pay to get to the floor. It's one year.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I would change the 20th to the 37th

And I think they'd laugh at you for it.

Even doing 37th to Detroit for the Datsyuk contract and 16th is just too unreasonable.

Keeping them in the first round keeps them talking.

A Detroit friend of mine says he'd be willing to give up Pulkkinen or Jurco.

To Arizona
Datsyuk's 7.5 cap hit
16th overall
Jurco/Pulkkinen
4th round pick

To Detroit
20th overall
5th round pick
AHL ceiling prospect. (Don't know who I'd add or if I'd add anything)

I'm not used to making trade proposals, so this is probably bad, but I do think 37th for 16th is completely unreasonable to ask of Detroit in such a deep first round draft. They'd probably rather just tank the cap hit.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Larkin, Datsyuk's contract and a 3rd for a 2nd. I would prefer Larkin to a move up of only 4 places in the draft.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Laugh all you want, but a $7.5 million anchor is enough to stall any chance for Detroit to make a deep run in the playoffs. I'd hold them up for ransom to get that off their books. They need that money off the books way more than we need the piddling return offered up on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad