Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
Puljujärvi will open up for several possible trades. There are a number of teams who needs a power forward of that calibre. If Oilers gets the pick than we might see oilers go for greater needs. Puljujärvi is having a pretty high trade value.

CdnFan

Apr 9, 2016
Puljujärvi will open up for several possible trades. There are a number of teams who needs a power forward of that calibre. If Oilers gets the pick than we might see oilers go for greater needs. Puljujärvi is having a pretty high trade value.

If Pulju falls to Edmonton and they trade the pick, I might cry....

There are other assests that could be converted to defensemen.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This, imagine Connor and JJ for the next 15 years as your centers.

Brown is not even close to JJ though. He's more of a Couturier/Hanzal type center IMO. I see him as a solid 2/3rd line center who will be used in a shutdown role. Anyone drafting him to be JJ is going to be disappointed.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Brown is not even close to JJ though. He's more of a Couturier/Hanzal type center IMO. I see him as a solid 2/3rd line center who will be used in a shutdown role. Anyone drafting him to be JJ is going to be disappointed.

Yeah, ok. But still, a massive, physical (if he develops this part of his game), perhaps with the ultimate size of a Chara, would become an incredibly valuable commodity. We know Chia values size, does he value it enough to reach for him at number 4?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Brown seems like another Draisaitl type. I think he's way down the list of needs for the Oilers unless they are considering moving Draisaitl in a much bigger deal.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Brown seems like another Draisaitl type. I think he's way down the list of needs for the Oilers unless they are considering moving Draisaitl in a much bigger deal.

Another Draisaitl perhaps in pure talent, but a couple stages behind in Draisaitl in terms of offensive development.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Draisaitl is significantly better offensively then Brown. I can see why a team would take him top 10, and could see why the Oilers might like him. But guys expecting him to be Jumbo Joe need to realize if he was as offensively talented as Jumbo Joe at his size he'd be considered the next Lindros. If you look back at past drafts you'd have to think a guy like Hanzal goes top 10 in most drafts classes the way he turned out. That guy is a beast every time we play him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Another Draisaitl perhaps in pure talent, but a couple stages behind in Draisaitl in terms of offensive development.

It seems like he is on a Ryan Johansen development curve. GMs love these type of big sized talents who explode onto the scene headed into the draft.
I just don't see the need for the Oilers to draft another skilled playmaking center even if they traded one of Drai or Nuge. I'd prefer a more conventional 2 way #3C.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It seems like he is on a Ryan Johansen development curve. GMs love these type of big sized talents who explode onto the scene headed into the draft.
I just don't see the need for the Oilers to draft another skilled playmaking center even if they traded one of Drai or Nuge. I'd prefer a more conventional 2 way #3C.

I dunno about that, Johansen was like 5'8" and 135lbs when he was drafted into the WHL. Which is why he went 150th overall to the Winterhawks. He then had a huge growth spurt which was part of the reason he skyrocketed up the rankings over 2 years.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

I agree.

And 2 way 3Cs can be acquired in rounds 2-7 if you're lucky, via trade or free agency.

Too bad Nielsen will get paid too much for our cap structure.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree.

And 2 way 3Cs can be acquired in rounds 2-7 if you're lucky, via trade or free agency.

Too bad Nielsen will get paid too much for our cap structure.

I like the Fayne for Bozak idea that was being floated around. Fills needs for both teams pretty well especially if the Oilers brought in two top 4 RHD and traded Nuge.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This pick kinda needs to pan out for us because we basically blew the Yakupov draft year by getting zilch effectively out of him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Pulju falls to Edmonton and they trade the pick, I might cry....

There are other assests that could be converted to defensemen.

Me too. We also need right shot wingers up front as well, with everything Pulju brings to the table, we would have to take him. Especially with expansion draft protection.

It would have to be an outstanding offer that we cannot refuse to move that pick if Pulju is available. It would need to be for a proven true first pairing RHD.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ill take everything I hear around draft time with a great of salt. Freidman mentioned it before, this period is all GMs lying and posturing themselves.

I think well trade down, just a gut feeling. But id be fine with Tkachuk too

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I know it's Damien Cox but I really hope he is correct.

Brown-Tkachuk
Sergachev-McAvoy

I'd be happy with any of them in Oilers silks. I don't think there's a whole lot between those players in terms of clear talent differentiations at this point as it will take several years at the NHL level to see which pick was actually the best
(and hindsight will always be 20-20)... so just take the best fit for the lineup now and see how it pans out.

RHD (McAvoy) imo is the greatest need so I'd lean in that direction.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
keeping the pick makes sense...Oilers brass are giddy for Tkachuk and the thought of Pujujarvi falling on to #4 has probably crossed their minds...

They'll get either one of those players who are expansion draft exempt. You're a fool for trading that when you have other assets that can get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad