Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
What would it cost to get someone like Shattenkirk from the Blues?

Obviously he'd be a rental but realistically what would it cost to get him?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The problem is we don't have our 2017 2nd round pick or our 2018 2nd round pick. This might hinder our ability to make any trades for rentals if the Sens want to go that route.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
If the Stars become sellers Patrick Sharp would be perfect.

What would it cost to get someone like Shattenkirk from the Blues?

Obviously he'd be a rental but realistically what would it cost to get him?

Both top tier rentals this year, gonna cost at least a 1st + good prospect just like every other TDL.

If many teams are interested, for sure Shattenkirk I could see getting more given how many teams need a right shot PMD. (Edmonton, Boston, NYR, Tampa, etc).

Also, worth nothing that over half of Shattenkirk's points are on the power play so I highly doubt he comes here and remains that productive unless he replaces Karlsson on the top PP unit.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Other teams need Shattenkirk more than we do.

We already have Erik Karlsson.

A forward makes a lot more sense.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Other teams need Shattenkirk more than we do.

We already have Erik Karlsson.

A forward makes a lot more sense.

I disagree. What forward, who would cost a 1st rounder+B prospect, would make our team better than adding Shattenkirk to our 2nd pairing? The only one I could think of is Jagr but Jagr can be had for much less than a 1st, IMO.

If we know we can re-sign Shattenkirk, then it's a no brainer to go after him.

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Shattenkirk
Wideman-Ceci

That's a ridiculously mobile D. If you ask me, I really believe our mobility from the back is still a major issue and it's why we don't clear our zone half the time.

Now, before the expansion draft, trade Ceci for forward help in offense(heck we can even do that at deadline too).

Protect Methot-Karlsson-Phaneuf then re-sign Shattenkirk.

If we KNOW we can't sign Shatty, then yea no way do we give up big assets for jus a few months, a forward would be better.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
After watching major assets being squandered trading for guys like Brassard and Ryan, I don't know why anyone would hope for a trade to happen with the current management group still in place.

If it were up to me Dorion would be locked in a storage closest at the CTC and we'd go without a GM. Team would be a hell of a lot better without a management group that makes the team worse almost every time they pick up the phone.

We have no expendable picks
We have no expendable players
We have no expendable prospects

No trades please.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
No to Shattenkirk simply because we would be spending too much money on our blueline if we want to resign him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I disagree. What forward, who would cost a 1st rounder+B prospect, would make our team better than adding Shattenkirk to our 2nd pairing? The only one I could think of is Jagr but Jagr can be had for much less than a 1st, IMO.

If we know we can re-sign Shattenkirk, then it's a no brainer to go after him.

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Shattenkirk
Wideman-Ceci

That's a ridiculously mobile D. If you ask me, I really believe our mobility from the back is still a major issue and it's why we don't clear our zone half the time.

Now, before the expansion draft, trade Ceci for forward help in offense(heck we can even do that at deadline too).

Protect Methot-Karlsson-Phaneuf then re-sign Shattenkirk.

If we KNOW we can't sign Shatty, then yea no way do we give up big assets for jus a few months, a forward would be better.

I disagree with your disagreement. First both Ceci & Wideman are right shots & I have yet to see either ever play their wrong side so that would be a problem that you have them playing together. Second, Shattenkirk is also a right shot just like Karlsson & IMO already is in his own right a top pairing defenceman who may not want to play second banana behind Karlsson who is going to get the most ice time even strength & on the PP on the right side.

For those two reasons alone I just don't see Ottawa going after a defenceman & third I doubt very much that Ottawa despite what so many on here think are going to trade their hometown kid Ceci who grew up wanting to play for the Sens. I also just don't get the Ceci hate on here, every time I see him he is working hard on every shift, he is taking on some of the best players in the game, he is playing very well defensively, he gets the puck out of his own end with regularity, has good size, is a good skater & puck handler & with some luck will start putting up more pts.

IMO Ceci is a very good second pairing right shot defenceman to play behind Karlsson & I expect once Chabot makes this Ottawa team, he could get paired with Ceci to create an excellent two way tandem. Fourth, what would be the purpose of giving up such a high cost which Shattenkirk will probably cost when we have IMO the best young prospect defenceman coming & probably next season in Thomas Chabot who should develop into a Shattenkirk type player or better? I think one of Methot or Wideman will end up getting picked off by LV in the expansion draft but Ottawa has a number of good defencemen coming who should have the ability to replace them & Claesson is another guy who has been playing fairly well. I just don't see Shattenkirk improving this team as much as a good scoring forward would at this time but I'm also not sure their is a forward worth spending some valuable assets on. A UFA filler than costs a 4th or less might be the best we could hope for & use our 1st wisely to add a prospect who is fast tracked to make the NHL in a couple of yrs would be ideal.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No to Shattenkirk simply because we would be spending too much money on our blueline if we want to resign him.

And? Get rid of Ryan in off-season. Replace Ryan's 7.25 mil contract to Shattenkirk's likely 6.75. Then trade Ceci for forward help he makes 2.8 so throw in an extra mil we'll save from Kelly and Neil's departure for someone like Palat.

It would take a lot of work, and in theory its obviously much easier to say, but that's what Dorion must do for us to be contenders. If Dorion can't do bold moves that are necessary to make us much better than we might as well tank and trade everyone cause Lord knows we'll just continue to tread mediocrity. Just like Bondra said, we don't need average players anymore, we're just gonna be one and done.

Some posters may view me as very optimistic but Im really not, im concerned. We have to do some big moves in this off-season for us to take the next step. That starts with getting rid of Ryan's 7.25 million. What better way to replace it then to go after an amazing number 2 puck mover in Shattenkirk. IF we believe we can get Tavares then sure, save up the money for him but we need SOMETHING big.

Dorion ****ed up so hard in trading a young budding 23 year old asset in Zib for 29 year old peaking Brassard so now he better fix things fast.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I can't see the team not resigning Chris Neil for next season at this point. For those just assuming that he is not going to be here next season.

Not saying they should, just that they will.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
And? Get rid of Ryan in off-season. Replace Ryan's 7.25 mil contract to Shattenkirk's likely 6.75. Then trade Ceci for forward help he makes 2.8 so throw in an extra mil we'll save from Kelly and Neil's departure for someone like Palat.

It would take a lot of work, and in theory its obviously much easier to say, but that's what Dorion must do for us to be contenders. If Dorion can't do bold moves that are necessary to make us much better than we might as well tank and trade everyone cause Lord knows we'll just continue to tread mediocrity. Just like Bondra said, we don't need average players anymore, we're just gonna be one and done.

Some posters may view me as very optimistic but Im really not, im concerned. We have to do some big moves in this off-season for us to take the next step. That starts with getting rid of Ryan's 7.25 million. What better way to replace it then to go after an amazing number 2 puck mover in Shattenkirk. IF we believe we can get Tavares then sure, save up the money for him but we need SOMETHING big.

Dorion ****ed up so hard in trading a young budding 23 year old asset in Zib for 29 year old peaking Brassard so now he better fix things fast.

I agree with two things, trading Ryan although I don't see that happening for at least two yrs & getting rid of Zibanejad was a bad decision, I would have preferred to move him to RW. However, I don't see Shattenkirk being much of an upgrade to Ceci who again IMO is getting better every yr & I don't see that Shattenkirk would come to Ottawa to play second banana behind Karlsson. Shatenkirk is better offensively than Ceci right now while I think Ceci is better than Shattenkirk defensively & has the potential to start producing pts offensively.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I can't see the team not resigning Chris Neil for next season at this point. For those just assuming that he is not going to be here next season.

I think so too. :handclap:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Guy should have been gone 2-3 years ago. Sens can't mess around with players like Neil if they have a budget and limited depth

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Maybe give him a two year contract like with Phillips.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have a feeling if we make the playoffs a lot of people are going to change their tune on Brassard. I expect him to be really really good.

I'll gladly eat crow if wrong.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Neil can retire or go play somewhere else IDC. He shouldn't be with the Sens next year

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I have no problem with Neil returning. Good leader, big part of the team's identity. If he's back he'll play 8-9 minutes a night.

If you guys are hoping to fill that spot with someone, who? Robinson? He's shown to be less useful than Neil by a country mile so far.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I have a feeling if we make the playoffs a lot of people are going to change their tune on Brassard. I expect him to be really really good.

I'll gladly eat crow if wrong.

This might be our only hope left for him. It would change everything but he needs to pick it up so we can get there.

He does have 5 points in last 6 games and 10 in last 14 so that's a start.

If Neil is re-signed this team has serious problems.

Exactly. People try to bring back these over-the-hill players in Neil, Milo, Phillips etc... and what-not and then wonder why we are not improving. Sentiment is all nice and dandy but we owe Neil nothing anymore. He got his 1000 and likely the rest of this year. Move on and get someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad