2016-17 roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Snerd, I've seen our Coach say a few times that it is better for player development to send some young guys down to the Moose and play big minutes rather than be on the Big Club and not developing as fast by being underutilized.

When you look at your NHL roster, I think you need to take a longer term perspective, rather than short-term, ESPECIALLY if you're not at the contender stage, when deciding how to stock the players.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
The only place that Thorbs is not blocking us from being a better team next year is the PB. He is a consummate professional, and because that is true, he will not gripe about his position next year. I also believe that any combination of Enstrom, Stafford, Thorbs, and Stuart should be bundled at the draft to move our Chicago first-rounder up a few spaces.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I could argue that, yes you ARE supposed to take the 20 best guys. You are supposed to be to win hockey games. But I will leave that alone for now. 3rd pair D play more like 16 min/gm. Our 4th line has played well short of 10 min/gm - because it has been bad. Put out a decent 4th line and they can play 9-10 min plus get 2-3 min STs time. I'll argue that 1 min in the NHL is worth more than 1 min in the AHL so I just don't think your point stands up.

Thor being under contract shouldn't carry any weight. None at all. The players in the press box are all under contract. Thor's is only 1.2 mil. That can easily sit in the PB. It can easily go to the Moose too. Maybe it can even be traded. That contract is not an impediment to anything.

For the 1st, I'm having a hard time following what you are trying to say. I've read it 3 times. I just don't understand.

The OP was:

He wants Morrissey to play top 4 so he doesn't play him at all unless Enstrom is traded. He could play Morrissey 3rd pair and sit Chiarot but 3rd pair won't do. So what it amounts to is trading Enstrom so that he can play Morrissey without sitting Chiarot. I just don't see keeping Chiarot in the lineup as being so important that we have to trade Enstrom.

You want to trade Enstrom because he is becoming 'fragile'? You think a fragile, aging, undersized D man is going to be redeemed for significant depth? Which team is it that you think will not be aware of Enstrom's shortcomings?

If you want to make a case for trading Enstrom go ahead. I don't see how that quite ties in since that isn't what the OP said but it is probably what he meant. I'm just saying that it worked out to trading Toby in order to be able to play Chiarot. Better Chiarot on the shelf with Stu and Morrissey playing on the 3rd pair which is probably where he belongs anyway, at least for his first year.

Trouba playing the left side does NOT make the L/R balance issue moot. It makes it less of an urgent problem. It does get our 4 best D playing the biggest minutes. It doesn't help our 3rd pair. It doesn't make the best use of Trouba.

I didn't make any statement, much less 'proclamation'. I asked a question. Leadership? Without Thor this team lacks leadership? Buff, Scheif, Wheeler, Lowry just to name a few. Sorry but that's just ridiculous. He is not a very good player. Leadership is no excuse for starting a player who isn't good. He is a poor fit for the kind of team the Jets are becoming. He is beginning to show his age. He is not Stu bad but he is not as good as several others who we have available. I can see the argument for playing Thor on the 4th line in order to give bigger minutes in the A to a prospect. I don't agree in this case but I can see it. Leadership though is not enough.

I apologize i submitted my own defensive alignment, which I stand by: that we are currently playing Chiarot-Buff against other team's top lines and they do not look out of place. I prefer this duo to Enstrom- Buff because of physicality, which i think is the fundamental principle of our transition game. I also have been preaching Morrissey-Myers as the future ever since we made that trade. For me it comes down to who is better Enstrom or Stuart. I can't see either in the PB, so the trade route is the best option. You don't have to work hard to convince me Enstrom is the better defenseman, but i continue to believe that defense poor Detroit is the ideal trading partner. For what it is worth Stuart-Trouba have had good stretches and were our best tandem in our playoff run against the Ducks. And there is absolutely nothing stopping Maurice from giving Trouba-Buff playing time with Stu as 6. I think Enstrom still gets a good return. I suggested the undrafted Hicketts because his game is similar to Toby's, but as a BC boy with World Junior experience he would fit in naturally to our organization. We add depth at defense, while getting younger, and replenish our left side d in this year's draft.

I also think we have a scoring hole to fill with Ladd's departure. Dano isn't the answer. I can't understand wanting to move Stafford, between he and Ladd that is about 45 goals to replace.
Connor may give us a boost but i don't go into next year expecting him to be the answer, rushing young players is exactly what stunted the development of several Thrasher players. Competition internally strengthens a team. That's why i suggested Teemu Pulkkinen to compete with Armia among others on our 2nd line.

I actually think a 4th line of Lemieux-Lowry-Thornburn would be ideal. Lowry is good in the circle. Lemieux can finish. Thorburn is the proverbial soldier, always battling. He makes a lot of plays leaders do, diving to push the puck out, blocking shots when the pressure. He is the guy Maurice leans on for a momentum shift. As long as he is effective killing penalties he should stay in the lineup. Lipon could give him a run for playing time. I think he loses his roster spot to Kosmachuk next year.

I agree with the frustrations of seeing him play on a 3rd line, as we now have enough depth to keep him in his simple role.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Ehler-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Perreault
Armia-Burmi-Stafford
Dano-Lowry-Petan
Thorburn

Enstrom-Myers
Trouba-Buff
Morrissey-Postma
Stuart

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone, but I think that could be a nice lineup to start the season. Maybe a few extra veterans to fill out the bottom 6.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Ehler-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Perreault
Armia-Burmi-Stafford
Dano-Lowry-Petan
Thorburn

Enstrom-Myers
Trouba-Buff
Morrissey-Postma
Stuart

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone, but I think that could be a nice lineup to start the season. Maybe a few extra veterans to fill out the bottom 6.

Personally I'd switch Dano and Armia. Also, you're missing Copp and Lemieux may push for a spot. I think a move will have to be made. It's getting a little crowded.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ehler-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Perreault
Armia-Burmi-Stafford
Dano-Lowry-Petan
Thorburn

Enstrom-Myers
Trouba-Buff
Morrissey-Postma
Stuart

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

Missing Chiarot, who is probably ahead of Stuart on the depth chart.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
As Im watching tonights game I just wonder:
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
MP Little Staff
Connor Lowry/Burmi Dano
Petan Copp Armia

Ive seen worse.

edit. I didnt like what I wrote so
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Connor Little MP
Petan Copp Dano
Lowry Burmi Armia

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Excited for next year line up

Especially with Kyle Connor and if Jets gets a Matthew or Laine

Ehlers Schiefele Wheelers
Perrault Little Stafford
Connor Matthews Armia/Petan
Lowry Copp Armia/Petan
Lemiuex Burmistrov Dano

Gets pushed way down
thorburn, peluso,

THe D looks good on Paper with Byfuglien, Enstrom, Trouba, Myers, Morrissey but it seems like this group is not strong enough defensively as a group. Or maybe it's the goalie :)

Therefore
Hellybuyck
I guest Pavi

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
As Im watching tonights game I just wonder:
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
MP Little Staff
Connor Lowry/Burmi Dano
Petan Copp Armia

Ive seen worse.

edit. I didnt like what I wrote so
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Connor Little MP
Petan Copp Dano
Lowry Burmi Armia

I really hope we don't go in to next year expecting Connor to be a top 6 savior. I would force him to be better than Perrault to make the top 6, better than Petan and Dano for the bottom 6.

Building on the season's end, and certain positives we have built in chemistry i am kind of hoping for:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-X
Petan-Copp-Stafford
Lemieux-Lowry-Armia
with Thorburn and Lipon as reserves.

X is the replacement for Ladd. I think we should add an NHL pro through trade or free agency. Having Connor, De Leo, Kosmachuk, Tanev and Dano give us a lot of quality depth with potential to contribute.

Edit: Perhaps swap Armia and Stafford. Either way this is a true 4 line hockey team with every line capable of adding offense, while being responsible defensively.

Last edited:

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I get the feeling it might be difficult to resign Trouba. I want Chevy to try and get Hamonic without giving up Trouba or Myers. It would consider moving Comrie, Roslovic, Burmistrov, Chicago's pick or even our pick if 6th (as long as we do not win one of the top 3 picks) or any other draft choices as needed. Once we trade for Hamonic I would then trade Trouba to the Oilers for Hall. We would probably have to add. Again with one of the pieces already listed.

Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler
Hall Little Stafford
Connor Perrault Petan
Dano Copp Armia
Lowry Thorburn

Hamonic Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Morrisey Chiarot
Postma

Helleybuyck
Pavelec

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Enstrom has to be traded before the expansion draft next summer. Keeping him means either Myers/Trouba will be exposed or two less forwards can be protected. My guess is they'd lose Dano who is ten years younger. So.... so much for the Ladd trade.

Tobi's already showing his age, and who knows where his game will be once the team is competitive in the post-season. His contract runs out before that's likely to happen anyway. Why would you sacrifice a younger asset for someone who's on the decline, won't be around much longer? It's time for Morrissey to step in next season, Trouba can play on the left side for the short-term at least, and everyone's expecting them to take a LHD with one of their 1sts.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Ehler-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Perreault
Petan-Copp-?
?-Lowry-?
Peluso

?-Myers
Trouba-Buff
Morrissey-Postma
Chariot

Hellebuyck
?

The 3 AHL'ers better be gone: Pavs, Stuart, Thorburn or Chevy isn't doing his job! The obvious: Enstrom no longer missed when out and the team wins more without him!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Even if the Jets don't get a top 3 pick this season, I think we could probably make dozens of lineups. Even with the sting of this past season, that bodes well going into next year IMO. If the team gets lucky in the lottery, the line possibilities get even larger.

And that's without even making a trade.

Still dissapointed in this past season, but I'm already excited for next season.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Keep in mind the following players now need waivers in the fall:

Armia
Brassard
Lipon
Raffl

Dano, ehlers, person etc do not

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Keep in mind the following players now need waivers in the fall:

Armia
Brassard
Lipon
Raffl

Dano, ehlers, person etc do not

Given that, I see Petan & Dano struggling to make the opening lineup, and unless Armia is traded he should be in the top 9.

The other 3 are probably expendible -- hurts a bit to lose Lipon, but Lemieux more than replaces him.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Just playing with the armchair GM function on cap friendly and it becomes clear that there area tonne of options. The possibility of forcing a quality player down the lineup is exciting. I ended up trying to fit a 20-goal scorer (Stafford) somewhere on the 3rd line. That's a nice problem to have!

I'm sure Maurice will have a lot of different combinations penciled in for training camp

1st line:

Ehlers-Scheifle-Wheeler (pretty obvious, really)

2nd line:

Connor-Perreault-Little (The Perrault/Little combination is excellent defensively. If you are going to add a skilled youngster to the lineup, this seems like the place to do it. They would be well protected and mentored. Petan would be an interesting fit here too...so would Mathews or Laine:sarcasm:)

3a:

Petan-Copp-Armia (this is a line I would like to see more of next year before rendering a verdict, but I have quite enjoyed watching them play recently)

3b:

Petan-Lowry-Stafford (I don't love the defensive quality of a line like this, but I hope that Lowry may be able to help them along, especially playing 3rd line competition. Stafford is a flawed player, but if you want to get 20 goals out of him again, he probably needs to play with some skill, like Petan.)

4:

Tanev-Lowry-Burmi (Don't yell at me for this one...I'm not suggesting that Lowry or Burmi are crappy fourth liners. Only that this is a line with some interesting defensive potential. It's also full of penalty killers, which I suspect the Jets will continue to need a lot of)

I've liked Dano, but don't have a good sense of the game he plays or where he might fit in. Who does he play well with? Whose game does he complement? Regardless, I think we are moving to a more well-constructed roster; not just because of overall skill improvement, but because it is easier to see how groups of players might fit together. We have had some very mismatched parts the last few years. Dano and Thorbs in the PB, I guess.

As far as the d-pairs go, I think you are stuck with Stuart, so:

Enstrom-Buff
Morrisey-Myers
Stuart-Trouba

Still paper thin after this, but Chariot seems like PB fodder.

Get Stuart off the PK, though, and limit him to 12 very easy minutes a night.

And for Gawd's sake, buyout Pavelec already and roll with:

Helle
Hutch

And find some SuperGlue and duct tape for Flaherty's mouth from October to April, since they won't fire him.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Just reading through this thread and I can't believe that we actually are going to have choices to make come training camp! Pretty freaking good choices too.

..... and we haven't even drafted yet.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Just reading through this thread and I can't believe that we actually are going to have choices to make come training camp! Pretty freaking good choices too.

..... and we haven't even drafted yet.

I know right! This is why all the pessimism for next season baffles me

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I know right! This is why all the pessimism for next season baffles me

For me, the pessimism comes from the concern that the Jets will misuse the talent to which they have access and play lesser players over better ones. The option will continue to exist to make roster sections based on, of all things, talent and skill. History suggests that the Jets have blind spots with respect to certain players. If those players continue to see unwarranted levels of ice time, a good chunk of the excitement and potential will be lost.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Ehlers scheifele Wheeler
Perreault little stafford
Dano burmistrov yakupov
Lowry Copp armia

Connor in the ahl just to start

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Hey, where'd Yakupov come from? (I mean, Edmonton, yeah...but for what? And for why?)

Who knows what for. I don't think the price would be huge.

As for why I think he could play well with Dano and burmistrov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad