2016-17 roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Mighty optimistic on all I'd say. Thor goes from playing in every single game in 2015-16 to 90% sitting on the bench - not a chance. Pavs will still be the opening night designated starter & play at least 35 games (unless he sucks the joint out and even with that he plays 30). Stu's another guy who they've never had the balls to sit in the PB, so can't see that completely reversing overnight.

Unfortunately, I agree. I think we are stuck with Thorburn for at least another year, and probably Stuart too. :madfire: And it REALLY Pains me to say that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mighty optimistic on all I'd say. Thor goes from playing in every single game in 2015-16 to 90% sitting on the bench - not a chance. Pavs will still be the opening night designated starter & play at least 35 games (unless he sucks the joint out and even with that he plays 30). Stu's another guy who they've never had the balls to sit in the PB, so can't see that completely reversing overnight.

Those are just statements based on pessimism. What are they based on? Thor has never been in the lineup against competition before except O'Dell. And right or wrong Maurice had no use for O'Dell. I think the only thing that gets Thor into the lineup is his willingness to get his lights punched out and I think the Jets are trending away from that. A little slower than some teams but still in that direction.

Just because Chevy declared Pav the starter when we didn't have a better option doesn't mean he will be the starter out of camp this year. Maurice was quick to move away from him when Hutch was outperforming him and he was very quick to abandon Hutch when Helle was called up this year.

I wish Pav would be gone but i don't expect that. I don't expect him to ever be the starter next year. Not for 1 day unless Helle gets hurt. 20-25 games max.

Stu they seem blind to but they know players age. Stu never had the kind of skill that translates into a long career. He has lost enough already to have passed his best before date. It will be up to Morrissey whether Stu plays next year although Morrissey with Stu to his right is possible. :facepalm:

Maybe I am being overly optimistic but I think we see the end of those 3 as starters this year. We have alternatives that are just too clearly superior to each of them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Those are just statements based on pessimism. What are they based on? Thor has never been in the lineup against competition before except O'Dell. And right or wrong Maurice had no use for O'Dell. I think the only thing that gets Thor into the lineup is his willingness to get his lights punched out and I think the Jets are trending away from that. A little slower than some teams but still in that direction.

Just because Chevy declared Pav the starter when we didn't have a better option doesn't mean he will be the starter out of camp this year. Maurice was quick to move away from him when Hutch was outperforming him and he was very quick to abandon Hutch when Helle was called up this year.

I wish Pav would be gone but i don't expect that. I don't expect him to ever be the starter next year. Not for 1 day unless Helle gets hurt. 20-25 games max.

Stu they seem blind to but they know players age. Stu never had the kind of skill that translates into a long career. He has lost enough already to have passed his best before date. It will be up to Morrissey whether Stu plays next year although Morrissey with Stu to his right is possible. :facepalm:

Maybe I am being overly optimistic but I think we see the end of those 3 as starters this year. We have alternatives that are just too clearly superior to each of them.

I agree with this.

I think the Jets won't name a "starter", but also won't declare the Pavs is definitely a back-up. I expect some ambiguous wording indicating that Pavs is #1 until someone else takes it away, but I think they have every intention of moving to Hellebuyck as the starter next season.

I think Thorbs might end up in Peluso's role. Maurice will trot him out when he feels that he needs some "muscle", but I don't think he'll be a regular on the roster.

Hard to know about Stu, because I am concerned the Maurice might still think he brings something valuable on the ice. But I expect that he'll have his minutes and role cut back significantly, regardless.

My general feeling is that if the Jets were willing to trade their very popular and loyal captain to go to a younger core, they'll be able to transition beyond some of the fringe core players still on the roster.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Yes indeed, this is not an optimistic viewpoint & we can all hope that it will be different with regards to Thorbs, Stu & Pavs, but I ask what you would base your overly optimistic viewpoints on.

Pavs -- for sure Helle is better & is the future, but to assume that Helle gets 55-60 of the 80 starts next season (Pavs getting the other 20-25) is just is not realistic. Thorburn as I indicated wasn't benched for a single game this past year, and you suspect that will increase to 90%! Stu is the worst of the three, yet Maurice is clearly unwilling to have a lettered player not playing most of the time.

I'll be only too happy to be wrong on all, or at least 2 of the 3, but history suggests otherwise.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes indeed, this is not an optimistic viewpoint & we can all hope that it will be different with regards to Thorbs, Stu & Pavs, but I ask what you would base your overly optimistic viewpoints on.

Pavs -- for sure Helle is better & is the future, but to assume that Helle gets 55-60 of the 80 starts next season (Pavs getting the other 20-25) is just is not realistic. Thorburn as I indicated wasn't benched for a single game this past year, and you suspect that will increase to 90%! Stu is the worst of the three, yet Maurice is clearly unwilling to have a lettered player not playing most of the time.

I'll be only too happy to be wrong on all, or at least 2 of the 3, but history suggests otherwise.

I already explained my reasoning. I think you are being selective in your view of history. I think any more than 25 starts for Pav next year is unrealistic. TBH I think that many is unrealistic but I think Chevy may be that unrealistic. Maurice will not name starter or backup. He will just talk about going with the goalie that gives him the best chance of winning. That will be Helle.

The same goes for Thor. There are things he likes about Thor's "simple game". When there is an injury it has been easy to move Thor up because his simple game fits equally (badly or well is in the eye of the beholder) with most linemates. I think that is faulty logic but it is understandable from Maurices's POV. That changes when he has qualified replacements just down the hall. Replacements that he has seen a lot of and who have played and practiced with the Jets quite a bit already. When I make up a lineup that has a 4th line of Lowry (who Maurice really likes) - Copp (who Maurice really likes) - Armia/Lipon/Lemieux there just isn't any room left over for Thor. We have never had that kind of competition for Thor before. Not even close. If an injury is very minor and will only keep a player out for 1 or at most 2 games maybe Thor gets in. Any longer and he won't even get injury time. There will be 3-4-5 guys with the Moose who will be called up and Thor will still be in the PB.

Stu is a tougher call. I expect him to lose his letter when a captain is named. I expect Wheeler with A's to Scheifele and 1 of Trouba, Buff, Little. Likely Trouba I think. It will be like Ference in Edm. Captain one year and PB the next. PB players don't have letters. If Stu keeps his A he will play but as Whileee says his role will be reduced.

Tanembaria

Apr 8, 2016
How I'd like to see the roster later in the season, if no changes are made. Lord knows where Stafford fits. :naughty:

Ehlers-Schiefele-Wheeler
Connor-Perrault-Little
Petan-Copp-Armia
Let the bottom scrap it out.

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Morrissey-Trouba
Draft Pick-Myers

Hellebuyck
Hutchinson

(lol not happening :shakehead)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How I'd like to see the roster later in the season, if no changes are made. Lord knows where Stafford fits. :naughty:

Ehlers-Schiefele-Wheeler
Connor-Perrault-Little
Petan-Copp-Armia
Let the bottom scrap it out.

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Morrissey-Trouba
Draft Pick-Myers

Hellebuyck
Hutchinson

(lol not happening :shakehead)

Interesting lines. I've been guessing that when Connor moves up Ehlers moves back to the right but it might well go your way too. The arrival of Petan makes it more feasible. Might be influenced by Ehlers preference. He may not be that strongly motivated to play on the right and he might like to stay with Scheif and Wheeler.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think we are seeing a lot of auditioning for next year's roster to end the season. Maurice seems to have settled on certain combinations. The top line to finish out this year is more than likely the top line to open next season. And that there is reason for optimism.

We are currently missing two thirds of our second line, if you discount Ladd's loss an entire 2nd line.

Dano-Burmi-Stafford have been pretty good. Burmistrov's play has improved with a fellow Slav on the team and that's probably no coincidence. I think Stafford is a good vet to play on this line, he protects the puck well and is pretty intelligent without it. 21 goals puts him 3rd on the team. 6 game winners ties him for 1st. I think he is probably better suited to being the leader of a 3rd line heading into next year. Burmi seems destined to never rise above a 3rd line, but his skating ability gives the Jets alot of transition speed and defensive potential and the 3rd line pivot. Faceoffs are his sore spot, it was noteworthy that the game tying goal against Anaheim came off a won draw by his winger Stafford.

And we could have some interesting competition in camp. Connor seems like a better prospect than Dano. Not sure if we can expect him to start above a 3rd line, without growing pains. I see Little getting more defensive responsibility with Scheifele's offensive emergence. And that's not where i foresee Connor starting his Jets career, unless he is another Dylan Larkin.

I think Maurice has settled on his 4th line being represented by Lowry and Thornburn. Thor still gets knocked on these boards i see, but i like his work ethic, he battles every shift. He and Lowry are able to play a physical brand that Maurice identifies with his 4th line. Tanev has impressed with his speed and tenacity. I could see Brendan Lemieux and him having a very battle in TC for the 4th line winger spot.

The x factor has been the Petan-Copp-Armia line. I think they have shown very well, good defensively and dangerous offensively. I wonder if you could see them displace Burmi's line as the opening day 3rd line, with Stafford moved up to the 2nd. And Burmi outside the top 12.

It would be more advantageous in my opinion if Copp and Petan- started next year with the Moose for depth. Armia is the most impressive player of this trio, and i would not mind seeing him getting an audition with Little and Perrault on the 2nd line. He would improve the defensive ability of that line. I'd bring in another speedster with a good shot, Michael Grabner to increase our options. Armia though looks like a keeper and given how well he has performed on the PK he seems guaranteed a spot somewhere in the lineup next year.

Because the one thing that has to be considered is how we improve our special teams. Lowry-Thorburn are a good PK duo I think. Little-Armia/Grabner would be a good 2nd unit. Which leaves Burmi-Wheeler to score shorties, and Stafford and Tanev/Lemieux to contribute too, with JC Lipton as another option if he can make the team.

Defensively we have fared well with our depleted defense. I think Maurice has developed a certain comfort level with Chiarot-Buff and frankly i like that combo more than any other we have tried with Buff, their games for whatever reason just seem complementary. Stuart-Trouba have been ok. Stu still can't handle the puck, and Trouba overhandles it, but they do create good transition offense, with intense pressure in the neutral zone. And for me i see a lot of potential in Morrissey being paired up with Myers for a long time. I think they could be a nice 3-4 combination, physical and swift, which seems to me like the Maurice blueprint.

Melchiori has been decent with Postma. They have probably earned the trust of the coach to be a possible 7-8 pair. In my opinion that would leave Enstrom as the odd man out. I would not be surprised if he were traded in the off-season. 1. He still has value, but i think the Jets brass is probably more comfortable investing in Buff, Myers and Trouba as their top 3, especially with Trouba's ability to transition to the left side. Though Enstrom boasts good stats i honestly think the way he plays inhibits our transition at times, because he rarely eliminates puck movement, which allows us to transition with back pressure. I would say his game is probably more suited to the Eastern Conference, and i would be trying to dial up Detroit who desperately need a puck moving d-man for some of their prospects, ensuring that Enstrom would waive his NTC to play among his countrymen on a contending team. I would pursue Xavier Ouellet (or perhaps Joe Hicketts) and Teemu Pulkkinen, a real heavy shooter to compete for a 2nd or 3rd line position.

Enstrom is characterized as a quiet player, and i would say has less ties to our core, which begins with Wheeler, who is probably along with his wife a big reason why Buff wanted to stay. Wheeler and Stuart were integral in bringing Stafford in. Thor, Little, Enstrom and Pavelec represent the old Thrasher guard, and i think Thor and Little more than the latter two. Scheif and Trouba represent to me the leaders of the young core, Scheif especially, Trouba has to mature a little more, but he has all the tools in the toolbox on the ice.

I would consider trading Pavelec to Calgary for more depth maybe Tyler Wotherspoon, a former Winterhawk with good size to compete with Melchiori for the 8th d.

How's this for depth:

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Grabner/Armia
Dano/Connor/Pulkkinen-Burmi-Stafford
Armia/Tanev/Lemieux-Lowry- Thorburn
Pulkkinen/Grabner, Lipon/Peluso (I'd keep Lipon over Peluso just for versatility)

Chiarot-Buff
Morrissey-Myers
Stuart-Trouba
Wotherspoon, Postma

Helleybuck
Hutch

Moose

Connor/Dano-Copp-Petan
Tanev-DeLeo-Kosmachuk
Lemieux-Albert-Lodge
Blomqvist-Olsen-Brassard

Ouellet/Hicketts-Kichton
Melchiori-Kostalek
Harrison?/Niku?-Nogier

Comrie
Veteran (Chad Johnson?)

My goal would be to build a team like Detroit where prospects have to earn spots, and having a team.with so much internal pressure for playing time would surely make us a better team. I think we could reinvest the nearly $10 million in salary that Enstrom and Pave command into more youthful speed and winning attitudes in our core. We can still put up a significant amount of salary in the expansion draft in Stafford Perrault Stuart and conceivably Burmi and Thor, nearly $14 million, while allowing our team to get younger and faster and i think better.

Last edited:

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
I really like the combo of Connor-Perreault-Little.
Why?
2 of the best 2 way players we have. It pretty much shelters Connor until he learns the defensive side.
To be honest, I'd rather keep Connor in the offensive roll being a trigger man not tied up with Thorburn and some other guy not learning anything really. And C'mon we all know Thorbs isn't going anywhere lol.
Just my 2 cents.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Why?
2 of the best 2 way players we have. It pretty much shelters Connor until he learns the defensive side.
To be honest, I'd rather keep Connor in the offensive roll being a trigger man not tied up with Thorburn and some other guy not learning anything really. And C'mon we all know Thorbs isn't going anywhere lol.
Just my 2 cents.

There's a lot to like with that combo, my only concern is that all 3 really like to shoot from the same spot. Not a big deal though & they're all smart enough to figure each other out.

I really wish Little & Perreault were healthy so that we could see what they look like together.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
one more stab at it...

Ehlers -Scheif- Wheeler
Connor -Little- Armia
Copp Perreault Staf
Lemieux/Petan/Burmi/Tanev - Lowry - Dano

Enstrom - Buff/Trouba
Morrissey - Trouba/Buff
Chiarot/Stuart(we know he will start) - Myers

Lemieux, Petan and Tanev will all probably start with the Moose.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Little Perreault
Dano Burmi Armia
Tanev Copp Lowry

depth: Petan, Thorburn
shot into sun: Stafford (seriously find him frustrating unless he's on the first line)

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Coach Guffman will continue to add youth to the team, but not too much. It doesn't do the team well to swamp the team with youth without having plenty of vets to ease them through the transition. No line will have more than one player that is still green.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Perreault
Stafford-Burmistrov-Armia
Tanev-Lowry-Thorburn

I am very happy with our current top line and would like to see them continue next year. This is the year where Petan gets a big opportunity for a Top 6 role. Conner will start the year off with the Moose to get some professional seasoning. He will be called up once Stafford is moved at the trade deadline for a 2nd round pick. Armia will get an opportunity to build on his partial first year with the Jets. I imagine we signed the 24-year old Tanev to actually play in the NHL, so I would start him off on the fourth line. This will be Thorburn's last year with the Jets, and he'll continue with his fourth line role.

Copp goes to the Moose for some key minutes. Not sold on Dano. If Petan or Armia falter or injuries occur, Dano comes up.

Enstrom-Buff
Trouba-Myers
Chiarot-Postma

I'd like to see Morrissey play but play as a Top 4 D. Maybe Enstrom gets moved during the offseason or near the trade deadline so that he gets that opportunity.

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

I think we also sign Hutch to a 2-year deal and he starts off with the Moose. I would expect that this is Pavelec's last year with the Jets but I think he has an important role as our only goaltending vet.

All in all, Coach Guffman is giving opportunities to four young players (Petan, Armia, Tanev, Hellebuyck) with the hope of bringing up Conner and Morrissey in the latter part of the year.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Coach Guffman will continue to add youth to the team, but not too much. It doesn't do the team well to swamp the team with youth without having plenty of vets to ease them through the transition. No line will have more than one player that is still green.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Perreault
Tanev-Lowry-Thorburn

I am very happy with our current top line and would like to see them continue next year. This is the year where Petan gets a big opportunity for a Top 6 role. Conner will start the year off with the Moose to get some professional seasoning. He will be called up once Stafford is moved at the trade deadline for a 2nd round pick. Armia will get an opportunity to build on his partial first year with the Jets. I imagine we signed the 24-year old Tanev to actually play in the NHL, so I would start him off on the fourth line. This will be Thorburn's last year with the Jets, and he'll continue with his fourth line role.

Copp goes to the Moose for some key minutes. Not sold on Dano. If Petan or Armia falter or injuries occur, Dano comes up.

Enstrom-Buff
Trouba-Myers
Chiarot-Postma

I'd like to see Morrissey play but play as a Top 4 D. Maybe Enstrom gets moved during the offseason or near the trade deadline so that he gets that opportunity.

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

I think we also sign Hutch to a 2-year deal and he starts off with the Moose. I would expect that this is Pavelec's last year with the Jets but I think he has an important role as our only goaltending vet.

All in all, Coach Guffman is giving opportunities to four young players (Petan, Armia, Tanev, Hellebuyck) with the hope of bringing up Conner and Morrissey in the latter part of the year.
You honestly think Connor won't be a Jet next season to start?
He isn't leaving school to play for the Moose.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'm still not convinced that Connor is leaving college next season. If not...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Petan-Burmi-Armia
Lemieux-Lowry-Dano (Thorbs)

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I'm pretty sure the Jets will not be guaranteeing him an NHL roster position immediately to sign a contract. He'll compete at TC, but it would then be up to the Jets to determine how best to develop him. I think tossing him on the Moose playing a lot of minutes would be more beneficial than puttering around on the third line trying to learn the complete game right away.

I would expect that he would be called up in the second half of the season for good.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Why?
Just my 2 cents.

I don't see it...Because of roles. Scheifele has won the top centre position for next year. You don't rack up points by being the go to defensive zone player. That role is going to fall to Little. Perrault is adequate defensively and has some chemistry built with Little on the PP. Connor does not fit tge defensive shutdown role. Armia does. I said sign Grabner to compete with Armia, who has looked good on just about every line, and showed chemistry with Perrault before his injury. That's a good defensive line. I think Lowry-Thorburn will also get defensive responsibility with whomever their winger is. Natural fit for me is with Burmi and Stafford. I think Stafford could help him in his first year. I think both Petan and Copp could displace Burmi. Petan in particular would added offense. Copp would stabilise the defensive responsibility. Maybe Connor-Little-Stafford and Perrault-Burmi-Armia. But i still think he will be sheltered to help his confidence grow, as it would be naive to expect him to have a seamless transition, Ehlers didn't after all.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm still not convinced that Connor is leaving college next season. If not...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Petan-Burmi-Armia
Lemieux-Lowry-Dano (Thorbs)

But if he does...slot him in where Stafford is right now. But what to do with Drew? Man, it'd be nice if we could move him for a 2nd...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Perreault
Tanev-Lowry-Thorburn

Enstrom-Buff
Trouba-Myers
Chiarot-Postma

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

So rather than start Morrissey on the 3rd pair you are trading Enstrom in order to be able to keep Chiarot in the lineup. Better to keep Enstrom and play Morrissey on the 3rd pair. When - and if - he is ready to move up you can move Enstrom down.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Perreault - The only RW in that group is Little. All 3 are C's so there is no need to play anybody on his off side.
Stafford-Burmistrov-Armia - Stafford has been bad on the left. Armia has shown that he can play either side. I would swap them.
Tanev-Lowry-Thorburn - With all the talent that is available why is Thor there?

What does being a veteran bring to goaltending? How is veteranness better than stopping pucks? Hutch will be in his 3rd year. Since when is that not a veteran? Pav draws the same salary in the AHL as he does in the NHL. Let him do it providing the Moose with a veteran backup.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
But if he does...slot him in where Stafford is right now. But what to do with Drew? Man, it'd be nice if we could move him for a 2nd...

Trade value increases near the trade deadline since the other team would only carry a smaller portion of the salary cap. Stafford is definitely on the team at the start of the year and if we're not challenging for a playoff spot, he gets moved.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
So rather than start Morrissey on the 3rd pair you are trading Enstrom in order to be able to keep Chiaroy in the lineup. Better to keep Enstrom and play Morrissey on the 3rd pair. When - and if - he is ready to move up you can move Enstrom down.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Perreault - The only RW in that group is Little. All 3 are C's so there is no need to play anybody on his off side.
Stafford-Burmistrov-Armia - Stafford has been bad on the left. Armia has shown that he can play either side. I would swap them.

What does being a veteran bring to goaltending? How is veteranness better than stopping pucks? Hutch will be in his 3rd year. Since when is that not a veteran? Pav draws the same salary in the AHL as he does in the NHL. Let him do it providing the Moose with a veteran backup.

I don't think you're supposed to take the best 20 guys, especially when you're developing young prospects. How valuable is it to toss a prospect on the 4th line or 3rd pairing D-Man with less than 10 minutes per game? Isn't it better to have them play big minutes on the Moose to develop their game? Why is Thor there? Because he's under contract next year, he knows his role, and I wouldn't want a young prospect to rot on the fourth line.

In regards to who the back-up should be, aside from Hutch's fast start last year, he has been disappointing. I would be more comfortable with Pavs on our team next year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
So rather than start Morrissey on the 3rd pair you are trading Enstrom in order to be able to keep Chiaroy in the lineup. Better to keep Enstrom and play Morrissey on the 3rd pair. When - and if - he is ready to move up you can move Enstrom down.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

I'll answer that 1st one. Chiarot-Buff are more stable than Enstrom-Buff. Morrissey-Myers had one good game together this year expect many more. That would leave Enstrom-Trouba , with Stuart out or Stuart-Trouba with Enstrom-redeemed for significant depth. I prefer the latter because I think Enstrom is becoming more fragile with age. We invest in our top 3, Morrissey grows into 4, Chiarot is a solid 5, and if we want to upgrade on either of Stuart or Chiarot during the year we have assets to move at forward, Burmi for one. Trouba's versatility makes thr LHD, RHD argument moot. Gives Postma a chance to displace Chiarot or Stu too.

I'll answer the Thor proclamation too: leadership. Guy works hard every shift, battles and plays physical. He and Lowry have been solid together, last year, this year, likely next year too, but they are now the clearly defined 4th line, with depth behind them able to play more than 10 minutes per game in all situations in the minors, with their ELC's which is the true means of establishing depth, and more importantly development, in the NHL.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I think then Petan starts off the year playing big AHL minutes. But if Petan is still here and if no Connor then I see:

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
MP Little Staff
Petan Burmi Dano
Armia Copp Lowry
Thor

Lemieux, Tanev would be first callups.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think you're supposed to take the best 20 guys, especially when you're developing young prospects. How valuable is it to toss a prospect on the 4th line or 3rd pairing D-Man with less than 10 minutes per game? Isn't it better to have them play big minutes on the Moose to develop their game? Why is Thor there? Because he's under contract next year, he knows his role, and I wouldn't want a young prospect to rot on the fourth line.

In regards to who the back-up should be, aside from Hutch's fast start last year, he has been disappointing. I would be more comfortable with Pavs on our team next year.

I could argue that, yes you ARE supposed to take the 20 best guys. You are supposed to be trying to win hockey games. But I will leave that alone for now. 3rd pair D play more like 16 min/gm. Our 4th line has played well short of 10 min/gm - because it has been bad. Put out a decent 4th line and they can play 9-10 min plus get 2-3 min STs time. I'll argue that 1 min in the NHL is worth more than 1 min in the AHL so I just don't think your point stands up.

Thor being under contract shouldn't carry any weight. None at all. The players in the press box are all under contract. Thor's is only 1.2 mil. That can easily sit in the PB. It can easily go to the Moose too. Maybe it can even be traded. That contract is not an impediment to anything.

I'll answer that 1st one. Chiarot-Buff are more stable than Enstrom-Buff. Morrissey-Myers had one good game together this year expect many more. That would leave Enstrom-Trouba , with Stuart out or Stuart-Trouba with Enstrom-redeemed for significant depth. I prefer the latter because I think Enstrom is becoming more fragile with age. We invest in our top 3, Morrissey grows into 4, Chiarot is a solid 5, and if we want to upgrade on either of Stuart or Chiarot during the year we have assets to move at forward, Burmi for one. Trouba's versatility makes thr LHD, RHD argument moot. Gives Postma a chance to displace Chiarot or Stu too.

I'll answer the Thor proclamation too: leadership. Guy works hard every shift, battles and plays physical. He and Lowry have been solid together, last year, this year, likely next year too, but they are now the clearly defined 4th line, with depth behind them able to play more than 10 minutes per game in all situations in the minors, with their ELC's which is the true means of establishing depth, and more importantly development, in the NHL.

For the 1st, I'm having a hard time following what you are trying to say. I've read it 3 times. I just don't understand.

The OP was:
Enstrom-Buff
Trouba-Myers
Chiarot-Postma

He wants Morrissey to play top 4 so he doesn't play him at all unless Enstrom is traded. He could play Morrissey 3rd pair and sit Chiarot but 3rd pair won't do. So what it amounts to is trading Enstrom so that he can play Morrissey without sitting Chiarot. I just don't see keeping Chiarot in the lineup as being so important that we have to trade Enstrom.

You want to trade Enstrom because he is becoming 'fragile'? You think a fragile, aging, undersized D man is going to be redeemed for significant depth? Which team is it that you think will not be aware of Enstrom's shortcomings?

If you want to make a case for trading Enstrom go ahead. I don't see how that quite ties in since that isn't what the OP said but it is probably what he meant. I'm just saying that it worked out to trading Toby in order to be able to play Chiarot. Better Chiarot on the shelf with Stu and Morrissey playing on the 3rd pair which is probably where he belongs anyway, at least for his first year.

Trouba playing the left side does NOT make the L/R balance issue moot. It makes it less of an urgent problem. It does get our 4 best D playing the biggest minutes. It doesn't help our 3rd pair. It doesn't make the best use of Trouba.

I didn't make any statement, much less 'proclamation'. I asked a question. Leadership? Without Thor this team lacks leadership? Buff, Scheif, Wheeler, Lowry just to name a few. Sorry but that's just ridiculous. He is not a very good player. Leadership is no excuse for starting a player who isn't good. He is a poor fit for the kind of team the Jets are becoming. He is beginning to show his age. He is not Stu bad but he is not as good as several others who we have available. I can see the argument for playing Thor on the 4th line in order to give bigger minutes in the A to a prospect. I don't agree in this case but I can see it. Leadership though is not enough.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm pretty sure the Jets will not be guaranteeing him an NHL roster position immediately to sign a contract. He'll compete at TC, but it would then be up to the Jets to determine how best to develop him. I think tossing him on the Moose playing a lot of minutes would be more beneficial than puttering around on the third line trying to learn the complete game right away.

I would expect that he would be called up in the second half of the season for good.

He's at least as far as Ehlers was at the end of last season so why wouldn't he start on the Jets. Look at Dylan Larkin's nad/or Eichel's stats for their last year of NCAA and tell me Connor doesn't start with the big team this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad