2016-17 roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I think Copp has shaken things up a bit with his late season performance. However, I also thought Lowry was pretty strong after coming back from the Moose.

Here's one projected line-up for the beginning of the season....

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Connor-Copp-Armia
Petan-Lowry-Dano

PP1: Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Petan, Buff
PP2: Perreault, Connor, Little, Stafford, Trouba, Postma

Note that there's no Burmi. I'm not sure that's who will be the odd-player out. I think Copp and Lowry will be battling with Burmi for 3-4C. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they moved Stafford during the season to open up room on the roster.

If the Jets end up with a top-3 pick, I could see them moving a couple of forwards in the off-season (from among Burmi, Dano, Stafford and Petan).

Whatever way you look at it, they have a ton of forward depth.
agree with this. i think lowry is our best option at 3C right now though. have a feeling he will pick it up next year again, that sophomore slump got the best of him. i just dont see room for burmi unless we bump copp or one of dano/petan/armia down to the moose but i can't see that happening or in the best interest of the team going forward. but we definitely need to get rid of stafford soon to give petan a legit top 6 shot.

wouldn't mind seeing copp go down, bumping lowry to 4C then using MP as 3C so that petan and connor could both shift up a line. either way, a forward or 2 will likely need to be moved.

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine

Thanks Whileee.
They definitely gelled well at the end. Very small sample size though. Pretty interesting to see how Copp progressed (more likely an effect of Linemates... Cough*Thorbeluso*Cough). Armia was pretty consistently a positive force, even if he didn't put up many points.
Can't wait to see if PM keeps them together.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I really hope Petan,Dano,Morrissey and even Copp start in the AHL.Even Connor if he's not ready totally different situation then Ehlers last year because he can go down.This will only happen though if we add a couple short term upgrades one on forward and one on D or we luck out and get a top 3 pick.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Can someone please explain to me why so many people are high on Dano.
Seriously traded twice 3 different teams could not crack the Hawks lineup and the games I saw ... I did not notice him.
If he makes the team next year don't expect the Jets to make the playoffs because there are a lot of better young players on the jets that deserve to start before Dano.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Seriously traded twice 3 different teams could not crack the Hawks lineup and the games I saw ... I did not notice him.
If he makes the team next year don't expect the Jets to make the playoffs because there are a lot of better young players on the jets that deserve to start before Dano.

Probably because of this:

http://public.tableau.com/shared/W2YYPMHJ3?:display_count=yes

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

The key component traded for two first line players. That is not a negative.

Quenneville had it out for him. Guys like Danny Briere got the same treatment early in their career by coaches who didn't like them.

The only player with higher upside in the organization that wasn't a regular last year is Connor. Yes I'm including Petan and Armia in that. Dano has great offensive skills as is shown by his charts. He finds the soft areas of the ice real well. Makes very nice reads with the puck and without it as well. Very high hockey IQ. Skating is still a bit choppy and needs some work on positioning, but can be sneaky effective at stealing the puck in all 3 zones.

He should be minimum a 3rd liner to start the year next year. His pts per 60 was higher than Armia, Stafford, Petan (6th on team if you discount small sample size Kosmachuk and traded Ladd). His goals per 60 trailed only Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, Stafford, and Ladd. Dano only trailed Perreault, Wheeler, Byfuglien, and Scheifele (discounting small sample size Cormier) in Shot Attempt Rel %. By every metric he is ready to step onto a 3rd line and move up to a top 6 role with PP time next year. He blew away guys like Petan, Armia, Burmistrov, Lowry, Copp, etc in ALL respects (that includes physicality and grit).

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine

Oooh, fancy (fancy) stats!

Liked what I saw out of Dano, but I can see how he is a bit polarizing - His skating looks *rough* out there.
To reiterate Holden, he always seems to be in a good area to make something happen, and is a disruptive forechecker.
He's going to be better next year (presumptively), and he was one of the only guys who could play with Burmistrov this season. I hope PM & Chevy keep him with the big team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The key component traded for two first line players. That is not a negative.

Quenneville had it out for him. Guys like Danny Briere got the same treatment early in their career by coaches who didn't like them.

The only player with higher upside in the organization that wasn't a regular last year is Connor. Yes I'm including Petan and Armia in that. Dano has great offensive skills as is shown by his charts. He finds the soft areas of the ice real well. Makes very nice reads with the puck and without it as well. Very high hockey IQ. Skating is still a bit choppy and needs some work on positioning, but can be sneaky effective at stealing the puck in all 3 zones.

He should be minimum a 3rd liner to start the year next year. His pts per 60 was higher than Armia, Stafford, Petan (6th on team if you discount small sample size Kosmachuk and traded Ladd). His goals per 60 trailed only Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, Stafford, and Ladd. Dano only trailed Perreault, Wheeler, Byfuglien, and Scheifele (discounting small sample size Cormier) in Shot Attempt Rel %. By every metric he is ready to step onto a 3rd line and move up to a top 6 role with PP time next year. He blew away guys like Petan, Armia, Burmistrov, Lowry, Copp, etc in ALL respects (that includes physicality and grit).

Agree that Dano seems like a good option for the 3rd line. I actually really like Armia, too. I think his stats haven't caught up with his game yet, if that makes sense.

Basically, I really like the addition of Armia and Dano for the middle or bottom 6 forwards. Good, young talent with good hockey sense and some heft to their game.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Why? What makes it likely? Why are so many people trying to trade Trouba? Did I miss the comet landing on his head? WTH happened that all of a sudden we need to get rid of Trouba?

I sure hope it isn't because of his rumoured ask for his next contract. It doesn't matter if he asks for the moon as an opening bargaining position people! That's just negotiating. Ask for 7 accept 3. Never mind the fact that his agent immediately denied that there was any truth to the rumour.

All I can say is that if you are right and it happens the 'something' better be very, very big because Trouba is worth far more than Hamonic.

I just have a feeling he might be on the block. I don't really want to see him traded.

Reasons why.

-contract demands
-Pomos exit interview
[mod]
-the fact someone in the Jets Org actually leaked the contract demands
-Hamonic wants to be here

I hope I'm wrong. If we had to trade him I'd prefer Anaheim or Philly as partners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I just have a feeling he might be on the block. I don't really want to see him traded.

Reasons why.

-contract demands
-Pomos exit interview
[mod]
-the fact someone in the Jets Org actually leaked the contract demands
-Hamonic wants to be here

I hope I'm wrong. If we had to trade him I'd prefer Anaheim or Philly as partners.

Anaheim needs rhd right? Trouba for lindholm??

Last edited by a moderator:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Copp has shaken things up a bit with his late season performance. However, I also thought Lowry was pretty strong after coming back from the Moose.

Here's one projected line-up for the beginning of the season....

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Connor-Copp-Armia
Petan-Lowry-Dano

PP1: Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Petan, Buff
PP2: Perreault, Connor, Little, Stafford, Trouba, Postma

Note that there's no Burmi. I'm not sure that's who will be the odd-player out. I think Copp and Lowry will be battling with Burmi for 3-4C. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they moved Stafford during the season to open up room on the roster.

If the Jets end up with a top-3 pick, I could see them moving a couple of forwards in the off-season (from among Burmi, Dano, Stafford and Petan).

Whatever way you look at it, they have a ton of forward depth.

I like parts of this lineup. I think Copp centering Connor is a good combo. The defensively astute Copp would help Connor use his skill. Two Michigan boys should have chemistry. Armia and Copp showed late season chemistry. I see Armia being interchangeable with Stafford too, if Maurice wanted a vet to lead his two young players.

However i think you are probably changing the whole paradigm of the team putting the two skilled players as Lowry's flanks on the 4th line. You constructed a pretty good PP unit, but ignored the equally if not more crucial PK. At best you would have Lowry-Wheeler, Copp-Armia, Little-Stafford and Scheifele on the PK. But i think that is troublesome. Stafford should not be on the PK. He would be more effective if he wasn't. Scheifele is probably too valuable to kill penalties regularly too.

Knowing Maurice's style i would say that Lemieux and Thorburn probably replace Petan and Dano, just to distribute roles. I could see Lemieux as a 1st unit PKer with Lowry. He was good in TC (with Lipon) and he has his father's smarts. Lipon and Tanev could also compete in this role, as most NHL teams employ PKers on their 4th line, given the players we feature on the first 3 lines I see us following the same line.

I kind of think that Connor and Petan are going into next year's TC competing for one spot, with the loser of the battle joining De Leo and Kosmachuk on the Moose.

After all we need depth as Frenchy has proven he can not stay healthy, and the goal should be to replace him seamlessly at the end of the year.

I could see a scenario where Burmi and Dano are put into competition with Lemieux and Thor for roster spots, keeping their Slavic chemistry in tact. Burmi is a better PKer than Thorburn, though i thought Thor did well. The lineup is sure to be dynamic with competition and injuries, I think the roster will be determined inevitably by the effectiveness players show in their role.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

The trade has no impact on his abilities. Dano was coveted by multiple teams and I was pumped when the Jets landed him.

The reason I rank him over so many others is because he's out-performed them - and it isn't really close. Dano put up point and shot volumes at rates that make me think he'll be a top 6 forward. He also has a real NHL track record across multiple teams.

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015

Agree, the Hawks weren't going to give up a blue chipper in exchange for a rental player who may be on his downside.

Petan in his second stint was much more of a complete and impact player than Dano was. Dano could turn into an effective 2 way player but for anyone to say he's ahead of either Petan or Armia right now is a bit premature. There have been many players who made a quick impact, only to fade away.

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
Imo we are short a 3rd line center. If we have Burmi Copp or Lowry in that spot we can expect that line to s*** the waterbed.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Imo we are short a 3rd line center. If we have Burmi Copp or Lowry in that spot we can expect that line to s*** the waterbed.

Burmi with Dano featured a 54.6% Corsi. That's extremely good. That's as good as Thorburn is bad. I think they shouldn't be split up.

I also think that Connor should not be in the top 6. The reason for that is he'd be with Stafford most likely and I think that's a really bad idea. Stafford gets buried much too easily in our zone.

Here's my lines:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Stafford
Connor - Burmistrov - Dano
Lowry - Copp - Armia

Of course this is just to start the season. I could see Connor getting some PP time. We usually use four forwards on the first unit anyways. I could also see Connor in the top 6 during some games. But not to start the season. I also see that 4th line getting a larger role than any of our 4th lines in the past 5 years. Which is what we call "depth"

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Burmi with Dano featured a 54.6% Corsi. That's extremely good. That's as good as Thorburn is bad. I think they shouldn't be split up.

I also think that Connor should not be in the top 6. The reason for that is he'd be with Stafford most likely and I think that's a really bad idea. Stafford gets buried much too easily in our zone.

Here's my lines:

Lowry - Copp - Armia

Of course this is just to start the season. I could see Connor getting some PP time. We usually use four forwards on the first unit anyways. I could also see Connor in the top 6 during some games. But not to start the season. I also see that 4th line getting a larger role than any of our 4th lines in the past 5 years. Which is what we call "depth"

This makes sense if you are mostly concerned with Connor's defensive game to start and are willing to sacrifice offense early on. Maurice did the same thing last year for a period with Ehlers and a lot of people were saying he wasn't ready because he wasn't scoring. Connor seems to generate a lot of offense by finding seems and soft areas and then uses a quick, hard and accurate release to score. Burmi would seem poorly suited to take advantage of that type of winger. He just doesn't have the vision. Ultimately Connor could feast with a player like Scheif or Little.

So why not put Connor with Little and MP? I like Burmi and Dano together but question a need for Stafford at all on a young building team. And I'm mostly a Stafford fan.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
This makes sense if you are mostly concerned with Connor's defensive game to start and are willing to sacrifice offense early on. Maurice did the same thing last year for a period with Ehlers and a lot of people were saying he wasn't ready because he wasn't scoring. Connor seems to generate a lot of offense by finding seems and soft areas and then uses a quick, hard and accurate release to score. Burmi would seem poorly suited to take advantage of that type of winger. He just doesn't have the vision. Ultimately Connor could feast with a player like Scheif or Little.

So why not put Connor with Little and MP? I like Burmi and Dano together but question a need for Stafford at all on a young building team. And I'm mostly a Stafford fan.

Agree with all, then armia moves up to third and Lemieux fourth, done deal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with all, then armia moves up to third and Lemieux fourth, done deal.

Now I think you start having a nice young team ready to grow with each other. You'd also have Tanev, Copp, Lowry and Petan in their fighting for work. The wild card is if we get a NHL ready player in the draft. If we are going young again no need for Stafford, Thor and Peluso or anything other than core vets taking up roster spots.

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016

Here's my lines:

Lowry - Copp - Armia

I just worry about Connor playing with two guys that can't score and most likely will be very low point producers next year as well. I also worry about him playing with stafford for obvious reasons. . I feel the jets see this as well and thats why they are open to snatching up a top 9 player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad