2016-17 roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This makes sense if you are mostly concerned with Connor's defensive game to start and are willing to sacrifice offense early on. Maurice did the same thing last year for a period with Ehlers and a lot of people were saying he wasn't ready because he wasn't scoring. Connor seems to generate a lot of offense by finding seems and soft areas and then uses a quick, hard and accurate release to score. Burmi would seem poorly suited to take advantage of that type of winger. He just doesn't have the vision. Ultimately Connor could feast with a player like Scheif or Little.

So why not put Connor with Little and MP? I like Burmi and Dano together but question a need for Stafford at all on a young building team. And I'm mostly a Stafford fan.

Yep, he's beginning to look like a fish out of water every time I try to put together lines. He also looks that way on the ice IMO. We have a bunch of fast, smart, skilled players, then we have Stafford who looks like he's skating in molasses and doesn't know where to go on the ice.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Conner .... Pétan.... De Leo

1 st line on the Moose to start the season.

I also predict that Lipon makes another jump and impresses at TC and exhibition game and makes it as the 13 th forward. If we try and send him down to the Moose next year....... Edmonton will claim him on waivers.( and we will regret it later).
Edit.... No room for Peluso, not like last year. We will send Peluso down and 50/50 he gets claimed. Thorburn is also a stumbling block to our youth movement. That is why I was so much against his 3 year contract when we signed it.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This makes sense if you are mostly concerned with Connor's defensive game to start and are willing to sacrifice offense early on. Maurice did the same thing last year for a period with Ehlers and a lot of people were saying he wasn't ready because he wasn't scoring. Connor seems to generate a lot of offense by finding seems and soft areas and then uses a quick, hard and accurate release to score. Burmi would seem poorly suited to take advantage of that type of winger. He just doesn't have the vision. Ultimately Connor could feast with a player like Scheif or Little.

Or maybe Connor will get Burmistrov going?

So why not put Connor with Little and MP? I like Burmi and Dano together but question a need for Stafford at all on a young building team. And I'm mostly a Stafford fan.

I could certainly see this happening in game especially at home. Maurice has been very fluid with his lines during a game. Agreed on Stafford. Imagine our youth team with Frolik and not Stafford?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just worry about Connor playing with two guys that can't score and most likely will be very low point producers next year as well. I also worry about him playing with stafford for obvious reasons. . I feel the jets see this as well and thats why they are open to snatching up a top 9 player

Why are you assuming that Burmi reverts to his early season form? It seems more reasonable to assume he picks up where he left off. Late season Burmi can score and make plays as well. Why do you say Dano can't score?

There is no need to pick up a top 9 player. If Stafford is the problem then move Stafford. Dano or Armia can move up. Either Ehlers or Connor can play the right side. Petan can play LW or possibly 3C. That is without getting an NHL ready F in the draft and without Lemieux making the team. We have been told that the youth movement will continue.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Or maybe Connor will get Burmistrov going?

I could certainly see this happening in game especially at home. Maurice has been very fluid with his lines during a game. Agreed on Stafford. Imagine our youth team with Frolik and not Stafford?

Couldn't agree with you more. Huge mistake. Water under the bridge. I really think it is time to move on though. Every mention of Fro and that other guy ;) just makes me :(

And now for something completely different.

At the approach of the TD we had a lot discussion about trading Ladd and then signing him July 1. I'm wondering how people are feeling about that now. Not so much in the context of Ladd's performance with Chicago as in our team without Ladd. If we did sign him where would he line up? What would we benefit by it? Ladd - Little - Stafford could be a decent 2nd line but Perreault - Little - Staford is more exciting and harder for opponents to defend. OTOH it would ease playing Perreault at 3C with Connor and Dano. That could be quite a line.

Without getting tangled up in debates about a reasonable contract offer would we want him back? Are we a better team with him or without him? Just assume a market value contract, whatever that is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Couldn't agree with you more. Huge mistake. Water under the bridge. I really think it is time to move on though. Every mention of Fro and that other guy ;) just makes me :(

And now for something completely different.

At the approach of the TD we had a lot discussion about trading Ladd and then signing him July 1. I'm wondering how people are feeling about that now. Not so much in the context of Ladd's performance with Chicago as in our team without Ladd. If we did sign him where would he line up? What would we benefit by it? Ladd - Little - Stafford could be a decent 2nd line but Perreault - Little - Staford is more exciting and harder for opponents to defend. OTOH it would ease playing Perreault at 3C with Connor and Dano. That could be quite a line.

Without getting tangled up in debates about a reasonable contract offer would we want him back? Are we a better team with him or without him? Just assume a market value contract, whatever that is.

I can't say I'm that interested in bringing him back as I just don't see a long term fit anymore. With Ehlers claiming on top 6 LW spots and Conner likely claiming another possibly as soon as next year. Throw in Perrault and Petan who will both be in the mix for the third line LW spot but are also versatile in that they can play centre and where would Ladd end up in our line up? Even if he doesn't get his $6 by 6 deal we would still have to up him for 4-5 years with him getting full protection. I just don't see a long term fit for him here anymore.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't say I'm that interested in bringing him back as I just don't see a long term fit anymore. With Ehlers claiming on top 6 LW spots and Conner likely claiming another possibly as soon as next year. Throw in Perrault and Petan who will both be in the mix for the third line LW spot but are also versatile in that they can play centre and where would Ladd end up in our line up? Even if he doesn't get his $6 by 6 deal we would still have to up him for 4-5 years with him getting full protection. I just don't see a long term fit for him here anymore.

Yeah, I was at least somewhat interested in the trade and then sign scenario on the assumption that he finds he is less in demand than he had expected. We get both the trade return and a more attractive deal with Ladd. The situation of both having our cake and eating it too is attractive just because it would be fun. :laugh:

Now I guess I have moved on to the youth movement. Good-bye to our play-off team, hello young, fast, skilled. Ladd is much better balanced than Stafford but I still get a bit of the same vibe when trying to fit him into the lineup.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Petan-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Ehlers
Stafford-MP-Dano
Lowry-Copp-Burmi

Armia/Thorburn

Trouba-Buff
Toby-Myers
JoMo-Postma

Stu

Hellebyuck
Hutch

Comrie

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
I know this is off subject but what happens with Marco Dano.Did we just have him for the rest of this season or do we have him for longer?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I know this is off subject but what happens with Marco Dano.Did we just have him for the rest of this season or do we have him for longer?

He has one more season left on his ELC. Then we control his rights for 4 years after it expires.

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
Why are you assuming that Burmi reverts to his early season form? It seems more reasonable to assume he picks up where he left off. Late season Burmi can score and make plays as well. Why do you say Dano can't score?

There is no need to pick up a top 9 player. If Stafford is the problem then move Stafford. Dano or Armia can move up. Either Ehlers or Connor can play the right side. Petan can play LW or possibly 3C. That is without getting an NHL ready F in the draft and without Lemieux making the team. We have been told that the youth movement will continue.

Imo Danos ceiling is going to be a third line 15 g 15 a hard checking type of player. It will take a few years for him to progess to that too. I dont see him breaking out next year. Burmi, even at his late season pace wasn't scoring enough to help a rookie along.

I just think we are putting our boy Connor in s***** situation if he plays with those to players in particular. (at the start of next year)

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Imo Danos ceiling is going to be a third line 15 g 15 a hard checking type of player. It will take a few years for him to progess to that too. I dont see him breaking out next year. Burmi, even at his late season pace wasn't scoring enough to help a rookie along.

I just think we are putting our boy Connor in s***** situation if he plays with those to players in particular. (at the start of next year)

Dano is probably already capable of putting up 30 points in a season let alone that being his offensive ceiling.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

He already scores at a higher rate than that, fyi

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
He's scored 31 points in 69 games in his career to date with excellent possession metrics. He's only 21. The thought of him starting in the ahl next year is laughable imo.

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016

Dano had 21 p in his first 35 games played. I think we both can agree that he wont follow that same pace next year. It will be closer to the 10 p in the 35 games played with the jets imo. Thats what im basing this on.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Dano is already right there. His ppg with us = 31 in a full season. But in a full season, having gone through TC with us and not having any adjustment period he should do quite a bit better. I agree that Dano may top out on the 3rd line but he will be a high scoring 3rd liner with a good 2 way game, a 2/3 tweener.

It is not just that Burmi finally picked up a few points late in the season. It is how he did it. First, he started shooting and shooting pretty well too for a guy who isn't supposed to have a shot. Second, and more importantly he started using his linemates. He made some great plays. If he picks up there at TC he will be fine at 3C. If not maybe Copp will be ready to move up and we still have Petan and Lowry may bounce back. Burmi is my most likely 3C but there are plenty of players to push him. He will have to win the job.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Petan-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Ehlers
Stafford-MP-Dano
Lowry-Copp-Burmi

Armia/Thorburn

Trouba-Buff
Toby-Myers
JoMo-Postma

Stu

Hellebyuck
Hutch

Comrie

Interesting.
Stafford has been a disaster on the left. I would rather swap him and Dano, although apparently Dano had some difficulty on the left also. Better to move Stafford and put Armia there. He plays either side quite well.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Interesting.
Stafford has been a disaster on the left. I would rather swap him and Dano, although apparently Dano had some difficulty on the left also. Better to move Stafford and put Armia there. He plays either side quite well.

Truthfully I'd rather get rid of Stafford all together and move Lemieux, Burmi or Lowry there.... in that order and then put Armia on the 4th line

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I'm not opposed to moving Stafford but other UFAs need to be signed if we do that even if it is just so we can meet the 25% cap exposure for the expansion draft without having to do something stupid. Chevy should trade Stafford for a mid round pick at the draft and then sign Stempniak for a 2 year term 2.5-3 million per.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dano had 21 p in his first 35 games played. I think we both can agree that he wont follow that same pace next year. It will be closer to the 10 p in the 35 games played with the jets imo. Thats what im basing this on.

Yeah that's not true. Dano got 8 points in 21 games with the Jets. Which is a 31 point pace. And that's with really poor puck luck. He averaged like 7 minutes a game in his 13 with Chicago, that's what should be discounted.

Dano is already better than a 15/15 average 3rd liner. He is a great possession and scoring 3rd liner with grit that will score 35-40 points. That's if he stalls out right now at 21 years old. I consider that unlikely myself.

It's quite funny how underrated Dano is here. People like to talk about size being the most overrated thing in hockey. I disagree. Skating is. Skating is not nearly as important as it is made out to be. Dano is an awkward looking skater but he is so smart on the ice it simply does not matter. Just look at some of the best skaters of their time in Rico Fata, Kirill Koltsov, or Sebastien Collberg.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah that's not true. Dano got 8 points in 21 games with the Jets. Which is a 31 point pace. And that's with really poor puck luck. He averaged like 7 minutes a game in his 13 with Chicago, that's what should be discounted.

Dano is already better than a 15/15 average 3rd liner. He is a great possession and scoring 3rd liner with grit that will score 35-40 points. That's if he stalls out right now at 21 years old. I consider that unlikely myself.

It's quite funny how underrated Dano is here. People like to talk about size being the most overrated thing in hockey. I disagree. Skating is. Skating is not nearly as important as it is made out to be. Dano is an awkward looking skater but he is so smart on the ice it simply does not matter. Just look at some of the best skaters of their time in Rico Fata, Kirill Koltsov, or Sebastien Collberg.

If he gets third line minutes I expect 35 ish points. Could be more if he makes his way to the 2nd line. I think he is quite a good player, although not at all flashy (which doesn't mean anything). It wouldn't surprise me if we end the year with this as our 2nd line.

Conner - Little - Dano

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not opposed to moving Stafford but other UFAs need to be signed if we do that even if it is just so we can meet the 25% cap exposure for the expansion draft without having to do something stupid. Chevy should trade Stafford for a mid round pick at the draft and then sign Stempniak for a 2 year term 2.5-3 million per.

First of all we need to wait and see how NMC are dealt with for the expansion draft. But if they are just looking to hold on to salary to meet the 25% than Stafford stays a Jet. I would say there is little to no chance the Jets look to sign depth players in their mid 30's. Especially at $3 M per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad