2016-17 roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I would go further than that. When Hutch was eased into the starters job he had no NHL experience at all so it made sense to go slowly. After the NHL introduction he had this year I think the starter's job is Helle's to lose. Period. No waffling. Unless he craps the bed he should get closer to 70-75% of the starts. Just my opinion.

Further to that, yes he will most certainly be part of a 1-2 combo (in all likelihood with Pavs), but I'm very doubtful he ever gets more than 60% of the starts simply because Maurice likes his vets.

Yes, they are ready to hand over the reins and all that, but unless Pavs totally craps the bed (as in under .900 save %), he'll share duties at a slightly less than 50-50 rate until well into the season. By the end, it should be 75-25 Helle, but overall I'll be pleasantly surprised if it exceeds 65% overall.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
If Hellebuyck comes sprinting out of the gate and Pavelec slips I could see Helle being the designated starter for the majority of the year. Considering how unusually non-committal Chevy was about who the starter would be next season I'm guessing Hellebuyck will get a real shot.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Patrik Laine - Perreault - Little
Dano - Riley Nash - Armia
Lowry - Burmistrov - Stafford
(Copp, Lipon)

Trouba - Byfuglien
------------------------------------
Enstrom - Myers
Ben Lovejoy - Postma
(Chiarot)

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

Connor, Petan, Morrissey on the farm, to be called up, familiar players on the farm, too...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Further to that, yes he will most certainly be part of a 1-2 combo (in all likelihood with Pavs), but I'm very doubtful he ever gets more than 60% of the starts simply because Maurice likes his vets.

Yes, they are ready to hand over the reins and all that, but unless Pavs totally craps the bed (as in under .900 save %), he'll share duties at a slightly less than 50-50 rate until well into the season. By the end, it should be 75-25 Helle, but overall I'll be pleasantly surprised if it exceeds 65% overall.

I hope you're wrong. Maurice also has the reputation of riding his starter. I expect Helle to start the season opener and just keep going unless he runs into an extended cold streak. He won't lose the net with 1 or 2 weak starts. No rotation. No easing him in. That phase is done. Pav is strictly the backup. Of course if Helle really drops the ball that changes but until then he is the starter. His job to lose.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Patrik Laine - Perreault - Little
Dano - Riley Nash - Armia
Lowry - Burmistrov - Stafford
(Copp, Lipon)

Trouba - Byfuglien
------------------------------------
Enstrom - Myers
Ben Lovejoy - Postma
(Chiarot)

Hellebuyck
Pavelec

Connor, Petan, Morrissey on the farm, to be called up, familiar players on the farm, too...

I like that lineup. I would probably invert Lowry with Dano just to give us one true checking line. And because Burmi-Dano did have some chemistry. With all the riches we have at forward however i am still hoping for Chychrun because that fills an immediate need, and addresses a replacement for Enstrom when he needs to be replaced. I think we could somewhat mitigate the loss of Perrault and Stafford internally, we are still paper thin on d, and last year's draft did not address this.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I hope you're wrong. Maurice also has the reputation of riding his starter. I expect Helle to start the season opener and just keep going unless he runs into an extended cold streak. He won't lose the net with 1 or 2 weak starts. No rotation. No easing him in. That phase is done. Pav is strictly the backup. Of course if Helle really drops the ball that changes but until then he is the starter. His job to lose.

No kidding. I can't wait for Helle to land that role. Though, he is so damn consistent and fundamentally sound that I feel not even a bizarre physical act which bends space and time, morphing the puck into an air-hockey sized puck-mutant could change Helle's destiny as the starter the Jets need.

(just being realistic here :laugh:)

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I've noticed in a couple projected line up that Connor is not there.
I assume he is a bust?

I prefer Matthew but Laine looks about good now besides perrault or little

The other Fin is not bad as well and if we draft 6-8 one of the Left hand D is not bad either.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Anybody that thinks Connor doesn't start with the Jets is in dreamland.

E S W (19 minutes) they were dominant most games.

Connor Little Amia (17 minutes) 3 guys that can pass AND score.

Lemieux Perreault Staf (14 minutes) I would rather see Staf moved but this line could put up some points with the lineups they'd get.

Copp Lowry Dano (10 minutes) By the end of the year it would be talked about as one of the better 4th lines in the league.

Trouba Buff (26 minutes) They are your two best D men, play the ***** of of them.

Enstrom Hamonic (22 minutes) A very good shutdown pair.
Morrissey Stu(let's face it)/Chiarot (12 minutes) If Morrissey makes the team, he will have to wait for a better pairing for a year or so.

Helle Pavs 55 games / 27 games

Burmi in the pressbox with Stu (probably Chiarot) and Thorbs......

There is going to be a LOT of talent on the Moose this upcoming season.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Anybody that thinks Connor doesn't start with the Jets is in dreamland.

E S W (19 minutes) they were dominant most games.

Connor Little Amia (17 minutes) 3 guys that can pass AND score.

Lemieux Perreault Staf (14 minutes) I would rather see Staf moved but this line could put up some points with the lineups they'd get.

Copp Lowry Dano (10 minutes) By the end of the year it would be talked about as one of the better 4th lines in the league.

Trouba Buff (26 minutes) They are your two best D men, play the ***** of of them.

Enstrom Hamonic (22 minutes) A very good shutdown pair.
Morrissey Stu(let's face it)/Chiarot (12 minutes) If Morrissey makes the team, he will have to wait for a better pairing for a year or so.

Helle Pavs 55 games / 27 games

Burmi in the pressbox with Stu (probably Chiarot) and Thorbs......

There is going to be a LOT of talent on the Moose this upcoming season.

Since when can Armia score?

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
Imo next year is the year that we have adequate replacements for Thor and Stu. That is about all im concerned about. If they are both on the opening day roster I will be perplexed

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Man this is fun. Remember the first couple years when we were looking for players to play with kane? Remember our buried third line late in games? James wright. Antti miettenen.

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
Man this is fun. Remember the first couple years when we were looking for players to play with kane? Remember our buried third line late in games? James wright. Antti miettenen.

Alot to be excited about. We are in a way better position then we ever have been!

janneydraketkachuk

Jun 17, 2014
I haven't done a line up yet so I figured I'd give it a shot

Ehlers-scheif-wheeler
Perrault-Little-Stafford
Connor-burmistrov-Dano
Petan-Copp-Armia
Lowry

Trouba-Buff
Enstrom-Myers
Morrisey-Postma
Chiarot

Hellebuyck
pav

Frankly I wouldn't mind seeing Staff get moved though. Also if we moved into the top 3 in the draft that would change my line up drastically.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I don't want to see a third line with two of Burmi, Dano, Armia. This team needs more proven talent, or much higher potential on the third line. I can't handle a full season of two of them on a line, showing flashes of stars here and there, but never take the next step. I'd like to see Petan on third line.

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Perreault
Petan - Mathews - Stafford
Burmi - Lowry - Dano

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I actually think Armia is ready to take the step forward to being a very productive NHLer. A huge part of offensive productivity is usage and opportunity. If he plays with a good line, I think he'll produce. Remember, Stafford and Ehlers really didn't produce much at all playing on the 3rd line with less talented players, but had no trouble producing with better players. I wouldn't mind seeing Armia get a shot in the top couple of lines, maybe playing with Little.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler (#1 line will keep a lot of teams on the defensive)
Connor-Little-Armia (bold combination with some youth, but Armia and Little are very responsible defensively and Connor is smart, fast and responsible)
Perreault-Lowry-Stafford (veteran line with some snort and finish)
Petan-Burmi/Copp-Dano (finally some skill on the 4th line)

Of course, this is probably all wrong because we're going to get a top-3 pick, in which case we'll have Matthews, Laine or Pulju in the top-9.

Basically, the Jets have some ridiculous depth up front and if Connor and Ehlers turn into top end players they'll have a really good top end.

Top-4 D of Buff, Trouba, Enstrom and Myers is pretty good.

Now, if they could just find a good #1 goalie....

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
I think we could realistically pull off a trade to send Trouba to Carolina, and recieve Hanifin in return. It makes sense, as we get a highly touted D prospect who is NHL ready, and Canes get both a D-man to pair with Faulk and we cand send someone like a Petan to Carolina.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Two things - I am sure that PM would never start with Connor in top 6. It will be like he introduced Ehlers past season. He started with Perrault and Scheif. They were listed as 2nd line but in reality they played third line minutes and vs bottom six opponents.

As PM later said in an interview, he started Ehlers in a sheltered role, because he thinks that is the best way to introduce the youngsters into the game on NHL level. He said a guy like Jeff Skinner (iirc) scored 30 goals in that role. "Playing top 6 opponents, is a completely different animal."

That was his words. I cannot imagine that Connor nor any in the coming draft (Auston Matthews the exception, maybe the Finns dont know anything about them) will get a top 6 role to begin with. Unless injuries is a problem.

So here is my bid for a line-up (forwards only)

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Stafford
Connor - Lowry - Armia
Petan/Burmi - Burmi/Copp - Dano

I dont think PM will introduce more youngsters in the first part of the season unless he has to. If we get lucky in the draw and get a top three pick, we might see another one.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I think we could realistically pull off a trade to send Trouba to Carolina, and recieve Hanifin in return. It makes sense, as we get a highly touted D prospect who is NHL ready, and Canes get both a D-man to pair with Faulk and we cand send someone like a Petan to Carolina.

I'm not opposed to the trade but why are we adding? Trouba has accomplished more than Hanifin and RHD are less abundant than LHD. I'm thinking the add comes from Carolina, not us. Let's not forget that Trouba was a "highly touted D prospect" as well (and arguably in a re-draft would go higher than Hanifin did in his draft year), one that has succeeded in the NHL for three straight years, mostly with a boat anchor firmly attached. He rarely gets PP time and plays behind Buff and Myers on the right side. I think a lot of HFJets is really very happy underrating young Mr. Trouba.

That said, I'm still not high on moving Trouba. The draft may address our need for LHD and Morrissey may be ready to play second line minutes as it is. Plus if Trouba proves adept at playing left side, the need is more or less gone since we can go:

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Morrissey - Postma

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
After Christmas lineup after winning the #2 lottery & a few injuries

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Little Laine
Petan Perreault Armia
Lemieux Copp Dano
Thorburn

Trouba Buff
Enstrom Myers
Morrissey Postma

Helle
Pav

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I hope I'm wrong but I'm trying to temper expectations for Ehlers. A lot of times guys have a really good first year and then struggle a bit in the second season. So I can definitely see at some point a lot of people hating on Ehlers next year if he doesn't take that next jump or if other teams key in on him more often.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Ladd Little Stafford
Connor Perreault Dano
Lowry Copp Armia
Thorburn

Trouba Buff
Enstrom Myers
Morrissey Postma
Chiarot

Hellebuyck
Hutch

Petan another year in the A (he's going to love that). First call-up. Unless it's a 4th line role, then maybe Lemieux or Lipon.

We ditch Pavs and Stu in the off-season, and sweeten the offer as necessary to do so. Maybe Toronto or other rebuilding teams will answer the call if we include the right prospects or picks in the deal.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Two things - I am sure that PM would never start with Connor in top 6. It will be like he introduced Ehlers past season. He started with Perrault and Scheif. They were listed as 2nd line but in reality they played third line minutes and vs bottom six opponents.

As PM later said in an interview, he started Ehlers in a sheltered role, because he thinks that is the best way to introduce the youngsters into the game on NHL level. He said a guy like Jeff Skinner (iirc) scored 30 goals in that role. "Playing top 6 opponents, is a completely different animal."

That was his words. I cannot imagine that Connor nor any in the coming draft (Auston Matthews the exception, maybe the Finns dont know anything about them) will get a top 6 role to begin with. Unless injuries is a problem.

So here is my bid for a line-up (forwards only)

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Stafford
Connor - Lowry - Armia
Petan/Burmi - Burmi/Copp - Dano

I dont think PM will introduce more youngsters in the first part of the season unless he has to. If we get lucky in the draw and get a top three pick, we might see another one.

Agree with all of this. I have Burmi at 3C instead of Lowry which leaves Petan starting in the A. But it could just as easily be Lowry at 3C and Petan could bump any one of several players. It is going to be a competitive TC for the bottom 6. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
After Christmas lineup after winning the #2 lottery & a few injuries

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Little Laine
Petan Perreault Armia
Lemieux Copp Dano
Thorburn

Trouba Buff
Enstrom Myers
Morrissey Postma

Helle
Pav

I'd swap Dano and Armia but I like it. :)
Missing Stafford (traded? :) ), Lowry, Burmi, Peluso (Moose?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad