2016-17 roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
Ok was daydreaming at work today and came up with:

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Little Stafford
Connor Petan Laine
Lowry Copp Armia

Burmistrov and Dano? not sure.

Trouba Buff
Enstrom Myers
Morrisey Chiarot

Helle
Pavs

That's a playoff team imo ^
Nice lines.That is exactly what I think.Lines 3 and 4 can move around a little if need to.I like to top 2 for sure and in my opinion I think that's who starts the season.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Lots of different and good ideas expressed here. The lines will not stay the same all season so I am sure we will see some combination of everyone's ideas throughout the year. All I want is Maurice to make the decision on what gives the Jets the best chance of winning. No more of this loyalty BS. Play your best players. This last season was total BS and no need for it to ever happen again. Luckily the lotto balls were good to the Jets and we benefited from this painful season. Maurice has to come to camp with the message that losing is not acceptable and coach that way.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Top six:
Laine/Connor-Little-Wheeler
Laine/Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers

I think they should split Ehlers/Wheeler in the top six (puck carrier and table setter), and put Connor/Laine with the other (goal scorer and feaster). This also lets you split the rookies, but "shelter" them by keeping them with good linemates (QoT is bigger factor than QoC).

Third Line

Perreault-Burmistrov/Petan-Dano

Honestly, time to move on with Stafford. The Jets ran Perreault-Burmistrov-Dano and together they were honestly good enough to be a second line on most teams (64% Corsi and 67% expected Goals). Would dominate as a third line. Switching Dano for Stafford scares me. If Petan is able to take a top9 C role in the NHL, you replace Burmi with him. If not, he's the first call up with any C injuries to slot in 3C. The Jets are deep enough team that size will not be an issue.

Fourth Line

Best of rest.

Fourth line, you just take the cream of the crop between the rest (Lowry, Copp, Armia, Lemieux, Lipon, De Leo, Petan, Thorburn*).

* lol

Defense

Trouba-Byfuglien
Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot/Morrissey-Postma
Chiarot - Stuart

If Morrissey is ready, he's ready and Chiarot and Stuart shouldn't be regulars when everyone is healthy.
If not, it's okay.

I like the lineup. But I disagree about Stafford. The Corsi metric is nice, but not a complete picture. Possession and shots are still not goals. Burmistrov might have put up nice possession stats in a particular instance, but he is definitely not a proven finisher. There is no metric for bad offensive zone and stick infractions which led to PP goals against. He is also harder to move laterally in the lineup. I have seen Stafford used by Mau to get lines going (the last time was the Ottawa game i was at where he helped produce the tying goal). 6 GWG's is a big deal. I think with less ice time (i.e. taken off the PK) he will be more effective. We shouldn't forget what division and conference we play in. Physical d-men can still effectively stunt our skill. It is in fact a big reason why we have given Chicago troubles.

I think Dano-Perrault-Stafford would produce more than with Burmi, and we still have Petan and Kosmachuk, possibly Lemieux and Roslovic who can replace Perrault and Stafford internally. Because I think for the confidence of this team we still need our vets. Those 2 were among our most dangerous offensive forwards in our playoff appearance and key players to getting us there. That's worth remembering

For special teams

PP1
Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Buff-Perrault

PP2
Stafford-Little-Dano
Laine-Trouba/Myers

PK1
Wheeler-Little
Buff-Trouba

PK2
Armia-Lowry
Enstrom/Chiarot-Myers

PK3
Connor-Copp (?)

Last edited:

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
Lots of different and good ideas expressed here. The lines will not stay the same all season so I am sure we will see some combination of everyone's ideas throughout the year. All I want is Maurice to make the decision on what gives the Jets the best chance of winning. No more of this loyalty BS. Play your best players. This last season was total BS and no need for it to ever happen again. Luckily the lotto balls were good to the Jets and we benefited from this painful season. Maurice has to come to camp with the message that losing is not acceptable and coach that way.

Nice post I totally agree.Lots of great Line ideas.I just want the best players to get us back to the playoffs.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I like the lineup. But I disagree about Stafford. The Corsi metric is nice, but not a complete picture. Possession and shots are still not goals. Burmistrov might have put up nice possession stats in a particular instance, but he is definitely not a proven finisher. There is no metric for bad offensive zone and stick infractions which led to PP goals against. He is also harder to move laterally in the lineup. I have seen Stafford used by Mau to get lines going (the last time was the Ottawa game i was at where he helped produce the tying goal). 6 GWG's is a big deal. I think with less ice time (i.e. taken off the PK) he will be more effective. We shouldn't forget what division and conference we play in. Physical d-men can still effectively stunt our skill. It is in fact a big reason why we have given Chicago troubles.

I think Dano-Perrault-Stafford would produce more than with Burmi, and we still have Petan and Kosmachuk, possibly Lemieux and Roslovic who can replace Perrault and Stafford internally. Because I think for the confidence of this team we still need our vets. Those 2 were among our most dangerous offensive forwards in our playoff appearance and key players to getting us there. That's worth remembering

For special teams

PP1
Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Buff-Perrault

PP2
Stafford-Little-Dano
Laine-Trouba?

PK1
Wheeler-Little
Buff-Trouba

PK2
Armia-Lowry
Enstrom/Chiarot-Myers

PK3
Connor-Copp (?)

I don't know how you get things so wrong all the time. Especially when a lot of these things I've gone through a lot of pain in explaining to you.

Corsi and shot are not goals, but they tell you how good a player will be in goals the next year more than goals did this year. We care about Corsi because we care about future outscoring more than past outscoring.
However, Corsi, shot metrics, and expected Goal models actually paint Stafford in a better light than goals do.
By looking at ES goals alone, Stafford this year wasn't even a NHL calibre player.

Stafford sucks dude, and if you can't see it, I question your eyetest.

Also, penalties and their impact is very much quantifiable. The most important part is Burmi being +4 in ES penalty differential, and Stafford being -1.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hi Snerd
My only defence is that I wasn't saying which wings I was just saying the lines. Therefore, Connor can still play Right Wing and Lanie can be Left Wing. Dano can still play his wing and Perrault can man the other side. In terms of inexperience I think you line them up against other 3rd line matchups and the speed of the three players will more than make-up for lack of experience. Perrault could also give the line experience and is known for bringing out the best in young players like he did with Schief and Ehlers at the beginning of the season.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Hi Snerd
My only defence is that I wasn't saying which wings I was just saying the lines. Therefore, Connor can still play Right Wing and Lanie can be Left Wing. Dano can still play his wing and Perrault can man the other side. In terms of inexperience I think you line them up against other 3rd line matchups and the speed of the three players will more than make-up for lack of experience. Perrault could also give the line experience and is known for bringing out the best in young players like he did with Schief and Ehlers at the beginning of the season.

Connor, Perreault, and Laine all prefer LW.
Dano, Wheeler, Armia and Ehlers all prefer RW.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Therefore, my comment about Dano playing RW and Perrault playing LW on the second line works. You would just need to get Connor to play off his natural side but is more than rewarded for it by playing on the same line as Lanie and Petan. Two speedsters and Petan's vision is unreal.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope Petan is ready to start at third line centre, that's where Id eventually want him this year but Im not sure how he will do at centre right now, that's my question mark, and I love Petan.
Which is why I had Petan MP Dano

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I am now posting too much and will go back to reading instead of posting. As lots of people here obviously know a lot more about hockey than I do. I just think that there are better passers on this team than Little to pair with snipers.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I am now posting too much and will go back to reading instead of posting. As lots of people here obviously know a lot more about hockey than I do. I just think that there are better passers on this team than Little to pair with snipers.

Don't sweat it man, post away! Your opinion matters around here, you learn as you go and then we learn from you. Don't shy away! Garrett is not always right he just thinks he is :D

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't know how you get things so wrong all the time. Especially when a lot of these things I've gone through a lot of pain in explaining to you.

Corsi and shot are not goals, but they tell you how good a player will be in goals the next year more than goals did this year. We care about Corsi because we care about future outscoring more than past outscoring.
However, Corsi, shot metrics, and expected Goal models actually paint Stafford in a better light than goals do.
By looking at ES goals alone, Stafford this year wasn't even a NHL calibre player.

Stafford sucks dude, and if you can't see it, I question your eyetest.

Also, penalties and their impact is very much quantifiable. The most important part is Burmi being +4 in ES penalty differential, and Stafford being -1.

Stafford is slow (no argument) but he shields the puck very well. He definitely doesn't suck. Scoring 20 goals is not easy in the NHL and it does not happen by accident. Burmi will never score 20. It is quite likely Dano, Armia, Petan will never score 20 in a year. Or 6 GWGs (2 pts in the standings) in a season. You can try to sound like a legitimate authority, but only God can predict the future, for all the calculation's wotth. .

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Connor, Perreault, and Laine all prefer LW.
Dano, Wheeler, Armia and Ehlers all prefer RW.

Are you sure about all of this? Has Perreault ever played RW? Has Wheeler played LW? Has Ehlers stated a preference since he left junior?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Therefore, my comment about Dano playing RW and Perrault playing LW on the second line works. You would just need to get Connor to play off his natural side but is more than rewarded for it by playing on the same line as Lanie and Petan. Two speedsters and Petan's vision is unreal.

Connor Petan Laine would be fine at some point.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Stafford is slow (no argument) but he shields the puck very well. He definitely doesn't suck. Scoring 20 goals is not easy in the NHL and it does not happen by accident. Burmi will never score 20. It is quite likely Dano, Armia, Petan will never score 20 in a year. Or 6 GWGs (2 pts in the standings) in a season. You can try to sound like a legitimate authority, but only God can predict the future, for all the calculation's wotth. .

He is a legitimate decent goal scorer, although I think that he's goign to be a more 15-18 guy over the next few years than 20.

Issue with Stafford is he doesn't really do anything else, and he causes more goals against than he creates.

I have never seen a player look more lost without the puck who scores as many goals than Stafford.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I have confidence with my statement enough to make it.

I just found "prefer" an interesting way to put it rather than "best suited for"

I wonder if a player's preference changes once he gets older and after he plays in the NHL.?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
If you want a 25 game player I guess Stafford's your guy. I'm glad many are finally seeing what I said when we got him. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I just found "prefer" an interesting way to put it rather than "best suited for"

I wonder if a player's preference changes once he gets older and after he plays in the NHL.?

Well, I mean, for most of those players it seems the performance backs up the numbers for the ones we have.

Which seems like a solid hypothesis at the very least.

Anything is possible and life is dynamic, I just go with the most probable.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He is a legitimate decent goal scorer, although I think that he's goign to be a more 15-18 guy over the next few years than 20.

Issue with Stafford is he doesn't really do anything else, and he causes more goals against than he creates.

I have never seen a player look more lost without the puck who scores as many goals than Stafford.

I fully concur that we should move on without him at the end of the year. I also agree that he is less than average defensively. But i watch ģames vigilantly. When we came back against our nemesis Anaheim, it was on a draw won by Stafford, put back to the point by Burmi for the shot from the point that Daño put in. That play was designed in a pre-faceoff scrum iniated by Stafford. Little things that vets do. I would hope Maurice would use Stafford in more offensive zone starts next year to address his defensive shortcomings. I think it was our supposed checking line that we started last year that got us into so much trouble out of the gate. That line only came to be because Burmi was so bad in the circle that Lowry was reinstated as 3C to shore it up. But i agree there was good chemistry between Burmi and Perrault from TC on, and Perrault can protect him in the circle.

I think Little-Wheeler, Lowry-Armia, with Copp or Lemieux gives us at least 2 good defensive combinations so that we can mitigate Stafford's ineffectiveness in this respect. Maybe he is moved, i've been wrong before. I only really liked Burmistrov's game at the end of the year. That's why i suggested moving him, because he has more value, and less influence on the team. I also think that his faceoff deficiency will plague him as a true centre, which i think we both agree he should be.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Top six:
Laine/Connor-Little-Wheeler
Laine/Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers

I think they should split Ehlers/Wheeler in the top six (puck carrier and table setter), and put Connor/Laine with the other (goal scorer and feaster). This also lets you split the rookies, but "shelter" them by keeping them with good linemates (QoT is bigger factor than QoC).

Third Line

Perreault-Burmistrov/Petan-Dano

Honestly, time to move on with Stafford. The Jets ran Perreault-Burmistrov-Dano and together they were honestly good enough to be a second line on most teams (64% Corsi and 67% expected Goals). Would dominate as a third line. Switching Dano for Stafford scares me. If Petan is able to take a top9 C role in the NHL, you replace Burmi with him. If not, he's the first call up with any C injuries to slot in 3C. The Jets are deep enough team that size will not be an issue.

Fourth Line

Best of rest.

Fourth line, you just take the cream of the crop between the rest (Lowry, Copp, Armia, Lemieux, Lipon, De Leo, Petan, Thorburn*).

* lol

Defense

Trouba-Byfuglien
Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot/Morrissey-Postma
Chiarot - Stuart

If Morrissey is ready, he's ready and Chiarot and Stuart shouldn't be regulars when everyone is healthy.
If not, it's okay.

Top 6 excellent. LLW, CSE
3rd Line (Perr & Pet/Burmi & Dano) very good -- totally agree that Staff is just a wasted piece already. Unless you can afford to pay him 4m to play 4th line & dump him at the TD, perfect trade bait at the draft.

Plenty of pieces around to make a good 4th as long as Thorbs sits on the bench unless & until absolutely needed. Lowry - Copp - Armia certainly worth a shot.

Defence perfect the way you had it -- Morrissey will definitely be up to third pairing minutes right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad