2016-17 roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Normally defenders don't give up that spot that easily, but I don't know European hockey.

I didn't really link it for you to look at how the defender failed, but to see how accurate and confident he is with his shot. Normally sure, but NA D makes mistakes aswell mate, even in the NHL. ;) Either way I made my point and time to fly off.

If Laine does get drafted by Jets I'll be calling this forum my home though come next season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Stafford Little Laine
Connor Perrault Petan
Dano Lowry Armia

This right here. Love this. Dano, Lowry, Armia, should not be on the third line until they earn it. Plus that makes a great 4th line. Interchange Burmi, and then play whoever deserves it. Hate seeing lines with people putting Lowry on the third line. He has done nothing to deserve it. Armia needs to be more consistent imo to earn more time. Shown flashes of brilliance.

Following year Connor moves up and hopefully one of the fourth liners step into the third line.

No reference there to whether these players are any good in those positions or not. We always talk about chemistry but then go and throw lines together with very young, inexperienced players in top 6 roles playing their off wings.

Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it will work out on the ice.

Stafford has performed badly on the left side. Laine is reported to be able to play either side but left side much better. Has Petan ever lined up on the right? Dano has had trouble on the left. Armia has done well on his off wing. Connor is supposed to be able to play the right side. I don't know how smoothly he makes that transition but it might work better with him on that side. So swap L/R on all 3 bottom lines and it begins to look better.

Then that is an awful lot of inexperience (Is that like a lot of nothing? :laugh: ). But then that is what we get with a youth movement. My guess is that they look really good losing a lot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I actually think our biggest need is an upgrade in the bottom pairing right side we have Morrissey and Chariot on the other side.Stuart has to go for us to be successful.

3rd pair is Morrissey - Postma. No Stu. No problem.

Every time I go through the lineup it seems like one of Stu-Thor-Tony has to be sent down & the other 2 in the PB

I wonder if Thor has any trade value at all. I think he should. He is a middling 4th liner with glue. There must be teams who would want that as long as it doesn't cost them much. Otherwise I see Peluso being overpaid to protect the young'ns in the A and Stu Thor in the PB.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I didn't really link it for you to look at how the defender failed, but to see how accurate and confident he is with his shot. Normally sure, but NA D makes mistakes aswell mate, even in the NHL. ;) Either way I made my point and time to fly off.

If Laine does get drafted by Jets I'll be calling this forum my home though come next season.

Normally a D will box out a player much quicker than that here. But not if they're against the boards. The larger European ice probably plays tricks here, he is probably further from the net than I think.

You're more than welcome here. We love our Finns.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I think there's hope that we won't see Thorburn on opening night based on Maurice's comments at year end. Seemed to me he made it clear that he will ice the best team, regardless of age/years of service/presence in the locker room. My ideal lineup looks like this:

1: Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler - Best line we've ever iced in my opinion.
2: Laine Little Perreault - So long as Laine is able to adjust to the NHL quickly, I think he could really benefit from playing with the other two.
3: Connor Petan Armia - Petan is essentially Perreault 2.0, with better vision, which is why I don't want to see a line with the two together. Has already played with Armia, for Moose and Jets, and is capable of setting up the other two.
4: Dano Copp Lowry - Copp did a great job for his first season. Responsible for a rookie, and can surprise. Lowry and Copp could technically switch who plays C. Although this line provides some grit, it's also a comparatively skilled 4th line.

Would really like to see Stafford and Burmi go. We're also sitting on some quality prospects who I don't see ever fitting with our current plan, like Roslovic, Spacek, Harkins. Some sort of bundle with the above-mentioned and Chicago's 1st and I think we could get ourselves a real solid LHD in someone like Muzzin, Leddy, or Hjalmarsson. Particularly, Kings and Hawks will be looking to save cash in a big way.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most on here don't wanna break up our top line, but by years end I'd love to see laine there, this balances top six more
Ehlers scheif laine
Mp little wheels
Connor burmi staff
Lowry copp Dano armia

If you go with that 1st line you have both Ehlers and Laine playing on their second choice side. It seems to be very common in Europe that left shots play right side and vice versa. It would make it a lot easier to come up with a lineup if Ehlers is on the right side whether it is with Scheif or Little. Also if either Laine or Connor is ready to move up by the halfway point or thereabouts.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Heres mine

Connor - Scheif - Wheeler - SPEEEEED

Laine - Little - Ehlers (2 wingers who like to play their off side)

Perreault - Petan - Armia (that's a nice third line)

Tanev - Lowry - Dano. That's a nice 4th line. Thorbs as 13th forward

That second line!!! :nod: Even with Little I'm not sure of their D. Ehlers was responsible last year but put him with Laine and he might just forget all about it. But give them lots of O zone starts and maybe it doesn't matter. :laugh:

I think I swap Dano and Armia but we'll see in TC.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
By the end of the year, I would really like to see...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler

I think this line will be even more dynamic and productive with Connor on LW.

Laine-Little-Ehlers

This line could be a ridiculous "2nd" line, similar impact to Penarin-Anisimov-Kane. Ehlers with Laine could be magic. Both like playing their off-wing. Really hope we draft the goal scoring Laine.

Perreault-Burmistrov-Dano

Had very good chemistry when put together.

Lowry-Copp-Armia

Decent 4th line.

Thorbs is 13 th forward. Stafford is moved by the trade deadline. Guys like Lemieux, Petan, Tanev and Lipon called up when injuries hit.

Decision on Burmi could be made this summer. For instance, he could be included in a deal to move pick #22 up a few spots.

I like this lineup best of what i have read. Many posters are just slotting players into a lineup. No regards to special teams, for instance what is the point of having 10 guys who can play the PP, when there are at best 8 forward positions available, and conversely having but Wheeler, Little, Lowry, Armia, and maybe Burmi and Copp to kill penalties. Am i the only one who thought Copp wasn't that good on the PK? Does nothing to address real weaknesses on the team. That's where players like Lemieux, Lipon, and even Thorburn have the advantage. As special teams success are fundamental to winning.

I can't see Lipon clearing waivers, he is a high energy guy, so i would at least have him in reserve, especially as he can play all 3 positions.

I'll also be surprised if all the rookies start on the team, and Stafford gets traded. Wheeler was integral in getting Stafford to re-sign here, good way to ruffle feathers of the likely next captain.
Somebody has to legitimately knock him out of the lineup, and his utility, which is size and smarts with the puck. 6 PP goals was 2nd on the team. 6 game winners was tops.

I'll eat crow if we start with all the youth and skill, and completely change the makeup of our team. But i think you might have to hire a new coach for that to become fruition.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure I am fan of slide Armia to the 4th line. He projects better than that and showed some upside when playing with skill guys. That said I have to wonder if Stafford gets bumped. Staff plus our CHI 1st rounder this year may fetch a quality LHD, no? Could look to solve a couple problems here?

Anaheim needs wingers. Their pipeline has been depleted. I still want Larsson. I think they need LWs more than RWs and they will want something not needing to be protected for the expansion draft. They might want to expose Stafford to make up their 25%. That could work in his favour. I don't know if the Chi pick would be enough add to interest them or not. Philly is another with lots of LHD prospects. I wonder what they would want?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Considering I've been watching both, I'd say they are pretty much equal, though it is hard to compare because of the difference in ice size. I'd say AHL is in some regards tougher than Liiga, and Liiga is in some aspects tougher than AHL. It really depends on the things you look at.

Quoting the other person who said Laine won't have the time and space as he did in FEL, I disagree wholeheartedly. In Finland Laine is a rockstar who is known to every single person in this country, including the players he plays against. He was the highest profile player in the league, which he in the NHL won't be by a long shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY7lQohys9M

Look at the corner he picks confidently from that position. On the last minute, during playoffs, while down by one. Clutch by every definition of the word. ;)

Yeah, I agree. He has said that he enjoys more playing on the left side and that the only challenge for a righty playing LW is receiving the puck smoothly, but it's not a problem if you have enough skill.

And he does: here's an example.

We've had 1 or 2 other Finns join us today saying much the same. He is best on the left. Fortunately we have the opposite situation with Ehlers. As a left shot he played mostly on the left last year but he prefers the right. We all tend to want to keep him on the left with Scheif and Wheeler because that line was so good last year but I think that is where Laine is destined to play as soon as he has made the adjustment to NHL speed and ice.

He will need to adapt. He won't get the time and space he is accustomed to. That is an adjustment that every player has to make. Every one. It is just a question of how long it takes him to do it. It is not about raw speed, it is about quickness, the speed of the first step or the first move.

Jawafa

Jul 30, 2007
Manitoba
I like this lineup best of what i have read. Many posters are just slotting players into a lineup. No regards to special teams, for instance what is the point of having 10 guys who can play the PP, when there are at best 8 forward positions available, and conversely having but Wheeler, Little, Lowry, Armia, and maybe Burmi and Copp to kill penalties. Am i the only one who thought Copp wasn't that good on the PK? Does nothing to address real weaknesses on the team. That's where players like Lemieux, Lipon, and even Thorburn have the advantage. As special teams success are fundamental to winning.

I can't see Lipon clearing waivers, he is a high energy guy, so i would at least have him in reserve, especially as he can play all 3 positions.

I'll also be surprised if all the rookies start on the team, and Stafford gets traded. Wheeler was integral in getting Stafford to re-sign here, good way to ruffle feathers of the likely next captain.
Somebody has to legitimately knock him out of the lineup, and his utility, which is size and smarts with the puck.

I'll eat crow if we start with all the youth and skill, and completely change the makeup of our team. But i think you might have to hire a new coach for that to become fruition.

Good post.

People see all the new names to slot in and it looks real good but history shows no matter what the names are, when there is that much inexperience you dont win much. I see Maurice easing the young guys in and the veteran guys we do have still play key roles.

Another thought is that Lowry could very likely have a bounceback year and solidify the 3rd centre spot. The 2nd half of his rookie year he looked fantastic and he suffered heavily from sophomore slump last season. Often guys really breakout in their 3rd season and hes got the skill set to do it. If he has year like how he played the ducks playoff series he is far and away our best 3rd line centre option.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I don't care too much about the top three lines as long as Dano, Lowry and Thorburn don't see the the third line, preferably not Burmi either, though he played better at the end of the year.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think what our line-up looks like at the beginning of the season will look a lot different by the end if the season. We're having trouble slotting all our young guys in, and think trading established players is the way to solve this. I don't think that happens this off-season, but we may jettison some during the trade deadline. Maybe some rock stars like Conner don't make it right away and get some initial seasoning in the AHL. Flooding the team with inexperienced players may not be the ideal way to move this team forward.

OK, here is where I think we'll start the season with:

Ehlers Schieffle Wheeler
Laine Little Stafford
Perreault Petan Armia
Lowry Burmistrov Dano
Thorburn

Jets struggle with some growing pains and become trade deadline sellers, trading: Stafford, Burmistrov, and Perreault (he becomes a UFA...if we keep him, do we really want to hold back other players at this point?)

End of year line-up:

Ehlers Schieffle Wheeler
Laine Little Armia
Conner Petan Dano
Lemieux Lowry Tanev
Thorburn

2017-2018: Bye-bye Peluso, Thorburn and Pavelec.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
3rd pair is Morrissey - Postma. No Stu. No problem.

I wonder if Thor has any trade value at all.
I think he should. He is a middling 4th liner with glue. There must be teams who would want that as long as it doesn't cost them much. Otherwise I see Peluso being overpaid to protect the young'ns in the A and Stu Thor in the PB.

A few years ago there was a rumor that Pittsburgh was pursuing him, but at his current age I doubt he has any trade value left.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I don't care too much about the top three lines as long as Dano, Lowry and Thorburn don't see the the third line, preferably not Burmi either, though he played better at the end of the year.

Why would you keep Dano off the third line? That's the perfect spot for him.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ehlers.....Schiefele ..Wheeler

Conner... Little.....Stafford

Laine..... Perrault....Armia

Lowery..... Copp....Burmi

Lipon ( 13 th fwrd)

Moose

Lemieux.... Pétan .....( Dano/ Conner)...... DeLeo ... Tanev

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Wow. Our forward depth looks thick now. What a dog fight it will be to make this team. Are we blinded about the lack of quality there is though or are we right in thinking that these players are young and on the rise? Not sure what other teams prospect pool look like in comparison and how they handle it. Not sure if you trade some to upgrade elsewhere or if this is the new norm. Chevy did say that they now have assets which gives them flexibility that they didn't have before. And even pick 22 could be in play. Wonder where we could upgrade though other than the obvious defensive depth.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Dano produced at a top 6 level this year - points, possession and shot rates were all at a top 6 level. I'd like to see him above Armia and Stafford to be honest.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm going:

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Little Wheeler
Perrealt Burmi Armia
Lowry Copp Dano

or

Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler
Laine Little Armia
Connor Perreault Dano
Lowry Copp Burmi

No Stafford. And I expect other moves.

Right now on D:

Trouba Buff
Enstrom Myers
Morrissey Postma

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Laine/Scheif/Ehlers
Connor/Little/Wheeler
Perreault/Lowry/Burmistrov
Petan/Copp/Armia

Trouba/Buff
Enstrom/Myers
Morrissey/Hamonic

We somehow manage a trade,( maybe a second team gets involved) with Snow, getting Hamonic using our other 1st, next years first, Stafford for salaries and an expiring contract, and a prospect.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Dano produced at a top 6 level this year - points, possession and shot rates were all at a top 6 level. I'd like to see him above Armia and Stafford to be honest.

I think the problem with Dano is that he's not very flashy, and a bit klunky when it comes to his skating.

I don't particularly care though: he's got very good metrics, and is quite effective. Was the same with his stint with the CBJ's as well. Agree that he should be playing up the line-up, not down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad