2015 Draft thread. McEichel part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
not at all. Totally different players. Greenway is big, strong and physical but has very little skill. Armia is quite literally the opposite.

Very little skill???!!!

I'll agree to disagree.
The main reason Greenway dropped was because of injuries. I

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Who are these top forwards that we have in our system? I don't see one that is projected as a first line winger. Don't get me wrong, I want more D too. Just think the idea that we are set at forward is wrong. We have quantity but not quality there. We don't have as many D but the few we have are better prospects.

I really haven't understood this obsession to "first-line wingers". And we already acquired E.Kane, who is supposed to be that.

I rather build a team with rock solid center and top-4 defense. Boston and Kings have been successful without "first-line-scoring wingers" (sure, you can argue Gaborik being one).

I would be more than extremely happy with this kind of line-up:

O'Reilly - Eichel - Girgensons
Kane - Reinhart - Bailey
Grigorenko/Larsson

Zadorov - Ristolainen
Kylington - Bogosian

That would assume that Bailey (who I think has the highest ceiling of the guys mentioned) becomes a top-6-forward, not a stretch at all.

If we draft McEichel, he doesn't need puck dominant wingers, because he holds the puck all the time. He needs rather players that can provide skating, defensive game, grit and enough puck-skills. O'Reilly or Girgensons neither are your "top-line wingers", if they play winger, but they would be a perfect match with a guy like Eichel. Both have the potential to score about 30 goals and pass the puck.

I also think that in a cap-era, you will always be "weak" from some position, and I rather choose that position to be wing than center or defense.

ZeroPT*

Very little skill???!!!

I'll agree to disagree.
The main reason Greenway dropped was because of injuries. I

I don't see it. From limited viewings and reading he lacks in skill. If he were as skilled as you say he'd produce more. Skill is an issue with him. He is nothing like Armia and has nowhere near as much skill.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
They may end up being that guy, but using them as why we should draft defense over a forward in round 1 is a stretch.

Not when we already have McEichel, Ennis, Moulson, Kane, Reinhart, Larsson. Even if only 1 of them is a top 6 player (which will happen), we're in a good position.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I really haven't understood this obsession to "first-line wingers". And we already acquired E.Kane, who is supposed to be that.

I rather build a team with rock solid center and top-4 defense. Boston and Kings have been successful without "first-line-scoring wingers" (sure, you can argue Gaborik being one).

I would be more than extremely happy with this kind of line-up:

O'Reilly - Eichel - Girgensons
Kane - Reinhart - Bailey
Grigorenko/Larsson

Zadorov - Ristolainen
Kylington - Bogosian

That would assume that Bailey (who I think has the highest ceiling of the guys mentioned) becomes a top-6-forward, not a stretch at all.

If we draft McEichel, he doesn't need puck dominant wingers, because he holds the puck all the time. He needs rather players that can provide skating, defensive game, grit and enough puck-skills. O'Reilly or Girgensons neither are your "top-line wingers", if they play winger, but they would be a perfect match with a guy like Eichel. Both have the potential to score about 30 goals and pass the puck.

I also think that in a cap-era, you will always be "weak" from some position, and I rather choose that position to be wing than center or defense.

Because you want a good winger = obsession :shakehead

Bailey will be lucky to make top 6

Last edited:

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
GMTM in Erie again tonight. McDavid obsession gone too far, or giving a keen look to his options for the contingency plan at 3?

ZeroPT*

GMTM in Erie again tonight. McDavid obsession gone too far, or giving a keen look to his options for the contingency plan at 3?

or viewing a prospect in the organization. Or viewing other guys like Debrincat and Dermott who could be picked later in the draft or next year. Or Marner. Or Strome.

There are what, 5 draft eligible guys? And a prospect from his own club? How is that "McDavid obsessed"?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
or viewing a prospect in the organization. Or viewing other guys like Debrincat and Dermott who could be picked later in the draft or next year. Or Marner. Or Strome.

There are what, 5 draft eligible guys? And a prospect from his own club? How is that "McDavid obsessed"?

It was mostly a joke based on his "dream" quote from a few weeks ago.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
I don't see it. From limited viewings and reading he lacks in skill. If he were as skilled as you say he'd produce more. Skill is an issue with him. He is nothing like Armia and has nowhere near as much skill.

I've seen several usntdp games. He's been injured a lot with little issues but when he has played he's really jumped out. I think he could develop into a legit power forward. Good skating, nice hands, quick release.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

He can view 3 of the top 5 picks in a must win playoff scenario thats less than 2 hours drive away.

He's doing due diligence as a GM

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Very interesting. Basically they need to go to things like 'hockey iq' and birth year to support McD being higher ranked than Eichel. Intangibles.

A few weeks ago, I was listening to Andy Brickley on NESN, and he touched on Canadian kid v. America kid playing into the rankings, something I wondered about.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Any love for Sprong with (Buf) our 2nd should he fall to the second round?

Heck yeah. If sprong is there at 31, you run up to the podium. I wouldn't be disappointed if he's the isles pick either, depending on who else is on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad