2015 Draft thread. McEichel part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Are you saying that because that is who Murray wants or who you think they should take?(Other then McEichel I am not sure who Murray likes)

I think if Kylington is there at 20 then it is a steal. If Svechnikov is there Murray takes him over Kylington.

I think he fits exactly what Murray would want to add.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I think he fits exactly what Murray would want to add.

Personally I would much prefer a winger with huge offensive upside(At 20th usually have defensive defficiencies) Then a defensive prospect.

Reason being is somone like Svenchnikov has a chance of being in the NHL after next year where Kylington it could be 3 years if he decides to stay in Europe for another 1-2 years. We would be lucky if Kylington was NHL ready in 2018 and even then it could be another year or two before he makes an impact.

I think I prefer to get the defenceman through a trade/UFA and would make an impact now. I think it is easier to trade/UFA for a top 4 defenceman then say a 25-30 goal scorer.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Personally I would much prefer a winger with huge offensive upside(At 20th usually have defensive defficiencies) Then a defensive prospect.

Reason being is somone like Svenchnikov has a chance of being in the NHL after next year where Kylington it could be 3 years if he decides to stay in Europe for another 1-2 years. We would be lucky if Kylington was NHL ready in 2018 and even then it could be another year or two before he makes an impact.

I think I prefer to get the defenceman through a trade/UFA and would make an impact now. I think it is easier to trade/UFA for a top 4 defenceman then say a 25-30 goal scorer.

That's not a bad thing. If all of our dmen pan out as projected, no way we'll be able to keep them all. Being able to replenish the cupboard with ELC talent after we sell off 1-2 of McCabe, Pysyk, or Zadorov because we're in a cap crunch would be nice.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Kylington has more offensive upside than most of the wingers in this draft.

We have no one like him in the pipeline... frankly, we have no offensively dynamic defensemen anywhere. But we are about to be stacked in offensive forward talent, at all levels... it's a no brainer.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Kylington has more offensive upside than most of the wingers in this draft.

We have no one like him in the pipeline... frankly, we have no offensively dynamic defensemen anywhere. But we are about to be stacked in offensive forward talent, at all levels... it's a no brainer.

No brainer for me too. I would be shocked if Tim went with two forwards, especially with one of them being McEichel.

Though, I am interested in Jacob Larsson too.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No brainer for me too. I would be shocked if Tim went with two forwards, especially with one of them being McEichel.

Though, I am interested in Jacob Larsson too.

Cliche, perhaps, but you still have to go BPA. We have some depth on forward, but there aren't many sure fire top 6 wingers in there. And obviously it's easier to acquire depth on defense simply because of numbers.

I haven't ever seen Kylington play because he wasn't at the WJCs and I never watch European hockey, But there has to be a reason the kid's stock is plummeted. It makes me wary. How often do prospects start the year in top 5 consideration, drop like a stone, and go on to good pro careers?

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
All u need to know about Greenway is that Andrew Peters is obsessed with him, so ill pass!

Uh oh, I didn't know that! :laugh: I'm not saying he should definitely be our pick with our second first (or even our first second). I was just more surprised that he fell that low. Low hockey IQ is a problem I'd be very worried about if we drafted him. There are lots of things you can fix in a prospect's game, IQ isn't one of them.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Cliche, perhaps, but you still have to go BPA. We have some depth on forward, but there aren't many sure fire top 6 wingers in there. And obviously it's easier to acquire depth on defense simply because of numbers.

BPA is a myth. There are large groups of players that are relative equals, and you draft for need within such a tier.

pretending that you can separate the 15th best player from the 18th best player is just folly.

Just go back and watch the "behind blue n gold" video related to the Zadorov pick.

as for sure fire wingers... we have 5 sure fire top 6 forwards that are going to be around for the next 5-10 years... a top 6 winger is the least of our needs

I haven't ever seen Kylington play because he wasn't at the WJCs and I never watch European hockey, But there has to be a reason the kid's stock is plummeted. It makes me wary. How often do prospects start the year in top 5 consideration, drop like a stone, and go on to good pro careers?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=759587

"He's a talented first-round prospect," NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb said. "He's an excellent, smooth skater. He's an offensive defenseman with excellent vision and playmaking skills. He has very good eye-to-hand coordination, is dangerous on the power play. He has all the tools needed and is a finesse-type player."
Pittsburgh Penguins co-director of amateur scouting Randy Sexton said Kylington's skill set is well-suited for the NHL game today, where teams want to get the puck moving quickly out of their zone.

He said those skills, including his skating ability and good vision to help evaluate options, could put Kylington in the top half of the first round.

"He's such a good skater," Sexton said. "Everybody wants those types of [defensemen] now. Nobody wants to spend time in their zone and a guy like that has got the sense to move the puck and the ability to skate it out."

Sexton said Kylington's skating reminds him a bit of Ottawa Senators captain Erik Karlsson.

"He's that kind of skater," Sexton said. "He doesn't have Karlsson's offensive capabilities, but from a skating perspective [they're similar]. [Kylington] is a terrific skater. You look at the way the game is played now, you need defensemen who are mobile with good hockey sense, can spread the puck around the ice well. He's got good vision.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Some of these names floating about I recall being mentioned earlier this year as 5-10 overall possibilities, any alarming drops or just the typical ebb and flow?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...eces-matt-lane-prospect-jack-eichel/25490361/

"He's a great player and a great kid, so it's been nice having him as a teammate,'' said BU junior forward Matt Lane of Greece. "He's definitely been a huge help in us getting this far.''

Lane's scouting report on Eichel starts with Eichel's skating skills.

"One of his best things is his skating for sure,'' Lane said. "He accelerates like nobody I've ever seen. He creates space for himself and his teammates with his puck skills and with his speed. He scores goals but definitely his best attribute is play-making. He does that by creating space with his speed and his puck skills.''

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Kylington would absolutely be everything that we lack right now from our blue-line. Even his handiness is a perfect match.

But at the same time you need to be concerned about the fact that his development has totally stagnated or even regressed soon a whole calendar year. And it is extremely alarming for a player of his age. We all remember Blake Clarke last year, who was a year before the draft a top-prospect, but during his draft-year totally fell off the cliff and has never climbed back. So I hope Murray and the scouting staff investigate carefully, what's the deal with Kylington.

Still, I don't see any problems using our "extra" pick on a guy like him. But if you have guys like Rantanen and Konecny there with him (isn't likely, though), I wouldn't be so sure.

But I agree with the opinion that we don't need to stockpile forwards into our pipeline anymore. It's our defense, which is really thin. We have McCabe, Florentino and Martin. That's about it.

So I think we absolutely have to start stockpiling d-prospects. I would be even ready to pick Kylington AND Vince Dunn with our picks after the first pick (of course not, if we pick Hanifin). They are really similar players, and that's exactly why I would draft both of them, because they both represent something we lack.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
All u need to know about Greenway is that Andrew Peters is obsessed with him, so ill pass!

That's not hard to see why Peters likes him. Greenway plays real chippy and physical, & steps in to back up his teammates a lot which I'm sure Peters loves.

I like Greenway because he does have great skating, size, every time I've seen him he's jumped out at me. He seems like a MUCH more physical Armia comp to me... (although he Does coast a little on the backcheck)

Getting Greenway in the 2nd would be a steal.

ZeroPT*

That's not hard to see why Peters likes him. Greenway plays real chippy and physical, & steps in to back up his teammates a lot which I'm sure Peters loves.

I like Greenway because he does have great skating, size, every time I've seen him he's jumped out at me. He seems like a MUCH more physical Armia comp to me... (although he Does coast a little on the backcheck)

Getting Greenway in the 2nd would be a steal.

not at all. Totally different players. Greenway is big, strong and physical but has very little skill. Armia is quite literally the opposite.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Kylington would absolutely be everything that we lack right now from our blue-line. Even his handiness is a perfect match.

But at the same time you need to be concerned about the fact that his development has totally stagnated or even regressed soon a whole calendar year. And it is extremely alarming for a player of his age. We all remember Blake Clarke last year, who was a year before the draft a top-prospect, but during his draft-year totally fell off the cliff and has never climbed back. So I hope Murray and the scouting staff investigate carefully, what's the deal with Kylington.

Still, I don't see any problems using our "extra" pick on a guy like him. But if you have guys like Rantanen and Konecny there with him (isn't likely, though), I wouldn't be so sure.

But I agree with the opinion that we don't need to stockpile forwards into our pipeline anymore. It's our defense, which is really thin. We have McCabe, Florentino and Martin. That's about it.

So I think we absolutely have to start stockpiling d-prospects. I would be even ready to pick Kylington AND Vince Dunn with our picks after the first pick (of course not, if we pick Hanifin). They are really similar players, and that's exactly why I would draft both of them, because they both represent something we lack.

Who are these top forwards that we have in our system? I don't see one that is projected as a first line winger. Don't get me wrong, I want more D too. Just think the idea that we are set at forward is wrong. We have quantity but not quality there. We don't have as many D but the few we have are better prospects.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Who are these top forwards that we have in our system? I don't see one that is projected as a first line winger. Don't get me wrong, I want more D too. Just think the idea that we are set at forward is wrong. We have quantity but not quality there. We don't have as many D but the few we have are better prospects.

That is what I was thinking. Who is this power forward or winger with top speed and can score? What prospect is that? Right now this team is slow, I really would like to get a prospect who can play the game at top speed.

No Baptiste, Fasching or Bailey is not the answer.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That is what I was thinking. Who is this power forward or winger with top speed and can score? What prospect is that? Right now this team is slow, I really would like to get a prospect who can play the game at top speed.

No Baptiste, Fasching or Bailey is not the answer.

They may end up being that guy, but using them as why we should draft defense over a forward in round 1 is a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad