Prospect Info: 2015 21st overall - Colin White (C/RW) USNTDP, going to Boston College

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I like that the kid is a fan of the game and has passion. Believe it or not, there are a lot of elite athletes who aren't even fans of their own sport, weird as that sounds. They like playing it, but don't really follow it outside of their own games. That's always a red flag for me, to be honest.

Lehner is one of those. Red Flag to me about him.

The Radio station asks all players who they would pay to watch play hockey with their own money. (Almost everyone says Datsyuk!). Lehner is like.. I don't watch hockey or something.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am not a big fan of trading up. The cost is high, and the history of teams trading up is spotty at best. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Dorion said they had more talks about moving down, which makes sense if you can acquire another asset.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Lehner is one of those. Red Flag to me about him.

The Radio station asks all players who they would pay to watch play hockey with their own money. (Almost everyone says Datsyuk!). Lehner is like.. I don't watch hockey or something.

I've said that about Lehner for years. He seems to be one of those players who's dad was a dick and kept forcing him to play even though he doesn't have a strong passion for the sport. Doesn't mean he's not a hard worker or anything but it's a red flag for me too.

Anyway, what's with the White snub on Bettman? That seems ridiculously rude.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Saw that snub as well. Was very surprised. Given the fact he was not speaking well, he must have been completely nervous and unaware of his surroundings. I do not like the pick. Jim O'Brien-esque. Does not sound hockey-smart

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
They already shake hands with Bettman when they walk up the steps and he says "Welcome to the NHL"

He wasn't being rude, normally they don't shake his hand again before the jersey + picture. It was a "oh, I already shook your hand" rather than a snub, but it does look funny when taken out of context.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Saw that snub as well. Was very surprised. Given the fact he was not speaking well, he must have been completely nervous and unaware of his surroundings. I do not like the pick. Jim O'Brien-esque. Does not sound hockey-smart

And you're basing this on what exactly?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
They already shake hands with Bettman when they walk up the steps and he says "Welcome to the NHL"

He wasn't being rude, normally they don't shake his hand again before the jersey + picture. It was a "oh, I already shook your hand" rather than a snub, but it does look funny when taken out of context.

Gotcha. I just saw the five second clip online so I had no idea what the context was.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
If Hanifin is in College next year this guy will be playing with him xD

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Five Reasons Why Colin White Should Be Selected in the Top 15
◾Character and Leadership: Assistant Captain of the USA U18 NDTP team. Plays with a compete level and confidence that other players feed off.
◾High-end Athleticism: Four top 10 results at the 2015 NHL Combine – long jump, vertical jump, agility right and agility left. I am not sure if there ever was a player who led in agility from both sides before this year’s Combine.
◾Versatility: Can play center or wing, shutdown or last minute get a goal, penalty kill or power play; can produce the same high-end energy and compete to all areas of the ice in all situations.
◾Big Game Results: Results count, Colin White has them – Gold medal and tournament scoring champion with Team USA at the 2014 U17 World Hockey Challenge and a gold medal and tournament winning goal in overtime with Team USA at the 2015 U18 World Junior Championship.
◾Coach’s Dream: Throw him in any situation, ask him do any task and he will do it and do it right. In fact, you don’t have to ask – Colin has a professional way of doing the little things that will help ensure his success in the pros.

Read the rest of the hockeywriters' article, worth the read

True, draft a d-man was a good idea. We're lacking in two areas, though, one is d, the other is high end o talent. I feel like we missed a big opportunity to address the second one.

at 21 OA, who could have addressed that need?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Liked the pick when it was made, as I think I'm higher on him than most (picked him in the HFSens board mock draft!). Dude is an absolute gamer. People who like Curtis Lazar are going to love Colin White, as he brings the same type of game but with some more offensive upside (imo). I actually think that in 2-3 years time a line with Lazar and White would be fun watch as they would dominate at both ends of the ice.

Turris - Stone
Zibby - Ryan
White - Lazar

On a unrelated note, I hope he takes #28!

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
One of the biggest problem with this forum is people on here lean way to heavily on comparisons. Colin White has nothing to do Jim O'Brien or anyone else for that matter.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

The exact opposite. His IQ is his biggest strength. O'Brien had amazing tools but little toolbox or how to use em.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The exact opposite. His IQ is his biggest strength. O'Brien had amazing tools but little toolbox or how to use em.

Plus O'Brien was a 29th overall the year Murray became GM (late in the year).

That 2007 draft had 4 picks and has not given us an NHL player as of yet.

Every other draft since then aside from the 2014 draft and this one has produced an NHL player.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Plus O'Brien was a 29th overall the year Murray became GM (late in the year).

That 2007 draft had 4 picks and has not given us an NHL player as of yet.

Every other draft since then aside from the 2014 draft and this one has produced an NHL player.

Yea anyone comparing the two has no idea what they're talking about. 2007 was brutally weak draft, this is on the level of 2008 and 2003.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Murray also didn't have staff in place for the 2007 draft, so ran with Mucklers guys. We've hit on at least a couple guys every year since Murray got his own guys in there. This pick is nothing like Jim O'Brien. JOB was a project from day one, this kid isn't a project at all, we already have a pretty good idea of what he'll be at the next level. Will be nice to ahve some americans, I feel like the Sens haven't drafted all that well out oft he NCAA recently (last guy I remember liking was Wideman, but I could just be blanking).

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Five Reasons Why Colin White Should Be Selected in the Top 15
◾Character and Leadership: Assistant Captain of the USA U18 NDTP team. Plays with a compete level and confidence that other players feed off.
◾High-end Athleticism: Four top 10 results at the 2015 NHL Combine – long jump, vertical jump, agility right and agility left. I am not sure if there ever was a player who led in agility from both sides before this year’s Combine.
◾Versatility: Can play center or wing, shutdown or last minute get a goal, penalty kill or power play; can produce the same high-end energy and compete to all areas of the ice in all situations.
◾Big Game Results: Results count, Colin White has them – Gold medal and tournament scoring champion with Team USA at the 2014 U17 World Hockey Challenge and a gold medal and tournament winning goal in overtime with Team USA at the 2015 U18 World Junior Championship.
◾Coach’s Dream: Throw him in any situation, ask him do any task and he will do it and do it right. In fact, you don’t have to ask – Colin has a professional way of doing the little things that will help ensure his success in the pros.

Read the rest of the hockeywriters' article, worth the read

at 21 OA, who could have addressed that need?

White is so good, I get why people are questioning the offensive upside because the implication that he plays two-ways means something suffers and his stats aren't mind-boggling. He was still a point-per-game guy for the NTDP in a basically injury-marred season. Prior to NTDP, he was known as lights-out offensively, it wasn't like 'this kid is Patrice Bergeron' it was, this kid is just ridiculously good at hockey. He added the two-way game emphasis to improve his overall game from what I can tell. In 9 games for Cape Cod Whalers as U16s playing U18, White had 9 pts in 9 games, Hanifin had 3 pts in 10 games. He was third in scoring on Nobles prep as a freshman playing with Chris Calnan. At the U17s he had 18 pts in 6 games to lead the Americans including Kirwan (13 pts), Bracco (11 pts), Matthews (8), etc. He can score, he has a great overall game, watch him at BC and I think you'll appreciate how well he possesses the puck and makes plays.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
White is so good, I get why people are questioning the offensive upside because the implication that he plays two-ways means something suffers and his stats aren't mind-boggling. He was still a point-per-game guy for the NTDP in a basically injury-marred season. Prior to NTDP, he was known as lights-out offensively, it wasn't like 'this kid is Patrice Bergeron' it was, this kid is just ridiculously good at hockey. He added the two-way game emphasis to improve his overall game from what I can tell. In 9 games for Cape Cod Whalers as U16s playing U18, White had 9 pts in 9 games, Hanifin had 3 pts in 10 games. He was third in scoring on Nobles prep as a freshman playing with Chris Calnan. At the U17s he had 18 pts in 6 games to lead the Americans including Kirwan (13 pts), Bracco (11 pts), Matthews (8), etc. He can score, he has a great overall game, watch him at BC and I think you'll appreciate how well he possesses the puck and makes plays.

Thanks for the insight!

I can't wait to get a glimpse of him at Development Camp.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
reminds me a TON of the last guy we took at 21. leader, clutch, two-way player, strong. a guy that shows up when everything is on the line. hopefully he doesn't get hurt as much as noesen, since i believe that is the only thing holding him back from being a very good nhl'er.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree

You don't shake a lawyers clammy hands unless you have to.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Liked the pick when it was made, as I think I'm higher on him than most (picked him in the HFSens board mock draft!). Dude is an absolute gamer. People who like Curtis Lazar are going to love Colin White, as he brings the same type of game but with some more offensive upside (imo). I actually think that in 2-3 years time a line with Lazar and White would be fun watch as they would dominate at both ends of the ice.

Turris - Stone
Zibby - Ryan
White - Lazar

On a unrelated note, I hope he takes #28!

He's have to ask Matt Kassian for permission to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad