Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers have 4 NMC's next year. Lundqvist, Boyle, Girardi, Staal.

If I were to guess if they could move any one of them it would be Boyle. I'm betting though that they're not going to move any of them--and mainly because of the NMC's. To take the thought further if you could get one of them to agree to void that provision in his contract it's 99.99% likely they'll want to choose exactly where their next destination will be and it ain't going to be to a small market not going to make the playoffs kind of team. Any of them will want to go to a team that regularly makes the playoffs year after year--if not an upper tier contender.

So mostly when I see the 'let's trade Girardi or Staal' proposal (and by the way often times coming from the same who tell us we can't trade Boyle because he has an NMC) I'm thinking the proposer is daydreaming some not very realistic fantasy and if they're off in fantasy land anyway they'd be better off masturbating instead.

You can pretty much put both Staal and Girardi's names in next year's lineup in ink and not pencil. They're both going to be here--whether you like it or not.

It has to be that time of year... fans that are still sour about exiting the playoffs early and are reaching for ways to rebuild the roster without the slightest clue.
Agree 100% EB.
If there is any movement on defense it will be either Klein and/or Boyle. Klein if it makes sense like acquiring a good pick and gets money off the books to spend on someone else and likewise with Boyle. Boyle is interesting because of his terms but if there is one GM that could move Boyle with a year left at $4.5m per, its Sather but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Says whom?

Time will tell. Its understandable to think that he could make the roster out of camp. Had a pretty solid season. I'm sure management would welcome some salary relief on defense with open arms along with a real physical presence.
Not wishing any ill will toward the kid, actually hoping he forces management's hand come camp.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Time will tell. Its understandable to think that he could make the roster out of camp. Had a pretty solid season. I'm sure management would welcome some salary relief on defense with open arms along with a real physical presence.
Not wishing any ill will toward the kid, actually hoping he forces management's hand come camp.

We've gone over this every time I post that. The wavier eligibility is wat means he's gunna get a roster spot as either the 6 or 7 d

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
Read the last 32 pages, here are my thoughts.

Klein isnt going anywhere, and besides hes great player for his contract.

Yandle was brought over to create more offense out of the back end. He'll be signed long term. With the addition of yandle you trade boyle this offseason.

Let msl walk, trade boyle and glass.

Talbot you absolutely trade for a first. I love him but i think he is overrated by many.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Yandle was brought over to create more offense out of the back end. He'll be signed long term. With the addition of yandle you trade boyle this offseason.

Talbot you absolutely trade for a first. I love him but i think he is overrated by many.

I prefer Klein over Boyle to be honest but Boyle says 'no I'm not going' because Boyle can say 'no I'm not going' because he has an NMC. The Rangers can push him for sure but voiding that provision in his contract is completely up to Boyle and Boyle as in Brooks' article is completely set on playing for the Rangers next year. Girardi and Staal are on the NMC lifeboat as well.

Yandle's not going anywhere because he's the offensive D the Rangers have been looking for ever since Leetch even if he sometimes resembled Poti. We're not trading McDonagh who has a limited NTC. McDonagh is not only the captain--he's our best defenseman period. That leaves Klein who can be moved without any hullaballoo. If anyone is moved it's him. I'd put the odds at 50/50 he's still with us after training camp.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Anyone pick this up yesterday?

Murray Pam ‏@Pammerhockey 21h21 hours ago
Appears #Oilers may be prepared to give 16th overall pick if #Rangers are willing to part with Cam Talbot.

He's a Hockey News contributor.

Sad things is that this might seem like an "overpayment" by some on the Oiler's side of things, but the truth is that if Cam performs on a Schneider level (which is possible) it'll be a steal for the Oilers.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

Appears #Oilers may be prepared to give 16th overall pick if #Rangers are willing to part with Cam Talbot.

Sad things is that this might seem like an "overpayment" by some on the Oiler's side of things, but the truth is that if Cam performs on a Schneider level (which is possible) it'll be a steal for the Oilers.

Ya we picked that up...
Half the people here think its already happening and are beginning to look at who to pick at 16

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo

went viral on HFNYR

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
But he will... They're not gunna let another team take him in waivers. And they can't send him the AHL if he attends training camp

Someone may have said it, but I think if he's sent to Hartford before a certain date, he doesn't have to pass through waivers. That being said, I'd be fine with shipping out Klein and letting Dylan grow into the 6D this season.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Someone may have said it, but I think if he's sent to Hartford before a certain date, he doesn't have to pass through waivers. That being said, I'd be fine with shipping out Klein and letting Dylan grow into the 6D this season.

Rather move Boyle but if he won't waive the no trade they pretty much have to deal Klein.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think Dylan is at least very close to being NHL ready but unless the team moves Klein I don't see him as a good fit on next year's team. A 7th d-man ideally should be able to play both the left and the right sides. He should also be able to move the puck quickly and efficiently. He should be a steady presence when he does play--not so much a guy who needs to figure out the league first.

McIlrath is a stay at home right side guy and puck movement is the biggest area he has to work on. As well I don't think it would serve him well to sit for long stretches if the rest of the D is healthy and there's no opening. If he makes the Rangers he'll need to play a little bit more than intermittently.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Doan would make a lot more sense if he wasn't a terrible option.

I have to say that I like Doan but at least until the trade deadline we can't afford his contract and if we were going to make a deal I wouldn't want to give up very much. He is a guy you can go to war with. He has size, attitude and grit and he'll go into the corners or to the front of the net and fight for territory. He can be a nasty piece of work when he's pissed and he can still score some. We would have been a lot better off with him than St. Louis in the playoffs IMO.

That being said he is pretty old. Making any kind of long term arrangement with him would be lunacy. IMO he has a year or two of quality hockey left in him at best. Pretty much comparable to Iginla.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
If we need help with the cap at the trade deadline have Nash fake an injury until the playoffs start. It worked for Chicago

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we need help with the cap at the trade deadline have Nash fake an injury until the playoffs start. It worked for Chicago

You're forgetting that both Henrik and Klein were out towards the end of the season. The Rangers didn't LTIR either one of them.

Seriously doubt Kane was faking an injury. Also with Kane and Toews both with $10 mil + cap hits next year and Keith, Hossa, Seabrook, Sharp and Crawford all making big chunks of change the Blackhawks are probably going to have to restructure their team next year. Going to be very hard to hold all that together.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
K but Boyle is old, 1 yr and he's gone . Klein is more reliable

Personally I think Boyle had the better playoffs and had been better since the trade deadline. Idk I feel like we already have enough dmen in the mold of Klein (girardi,staal,mcilrath)

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

I gotta say this.

Our D was banged up by the time we got to the ECF.

Yes, most teams have their fair share of undisclosed gut-check injuries. But to have so many guys in a position like defense who rely on footwork and positioning to be at the top of their position for the chance to be the top team in the league when all is said and done. I for one commend the group we have for toughing out broken feet, etc, and have no problem going with the same guys next year.

Yes. Cap is an issue and we have to see what McIlrath has at some point with his waiver status and performance the past few months. So somethings gotta give at some point with one of the 6. I'm not going to speculate who. The likely candidates are Yandle, Klein who have movable contracts. Boyle to a lesser extent with significantly reduced return value and he's in the drivers seat, but do we need to get fair value for him at next years TDL if cap or roster space for McIlrath is what we are after? If a team is willing and Boyle is too, I'm content with roster/cap space in return if we can upgrade another role/weekness on the team as we only have money tied up in Boyle being he was a UFA.

We have, maybe not the most skilled D corp in the league 1-3, but we sure as heck have the deepest skilled core 1-6 and Yandle and Klein playing above their pay grade makes that possible. Although a very valid argument could be made for upgrading our forward group with money saved shipping out one of Yandle, Klein, >>>>Boyle as having the 1-6 we have with the goalie we have behind them a redundant luxury at the expence of 4 line scoring depth.

Lot's of options IMO. No matter what. For Sather & Gorton they are damned if they do, damned if they don't no matter what changes they make if we don't find a way to convincingly get back into the ECF, SCF next season, not just limp in on fumes.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I would like to move Staal, although I don't know how possible that is with his NMC. He has more value than Girardi, and we already have McDonagh and Yandle on the left side. Yandle should be playing top 4 minutes, not wasting away setting up passes to Tanner Glass. Although it would probably be too radical of a change for the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad