Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Their production is identical if you ignore the sample size.

Do people seriously think Talbot is that good? Idk man, I'll just agree to disagree, and yes I think Cory Schneider is one of the best in the league.

Maybe Talbot will be a late-bloomer and do very well on a ****** team like Edmonton, but I wouldn't bet on it. If they want to trade us a nice draft pick then awesome.

IMO Talbot is a late bloomer. Could very well get the Tim Thomas treatment.

But I guess we'll agree to disagree then....

BarbaraAlphanse

Their production is identical if you ignore the sample size and yes pedigree matters.

Do people seriously think Talbot is that good? Idk man, I'll just agree to disagree, and yes I think Cory Schneider is one of the best in the league.

Sure. Schneider is still regarded around BC. His legacy (I don't know how long) still somehow is talked about.

He was a higher pick. Much higher, when you consider Talbot was undrafted.

But in terms of hype? Talbot narrative was PUMPED up our ***** all throughout every hockey provider. Not for nothing, but everyone recognized the job Talbot gave when Hank went down. Part of Hank going down, in this regard, was how much exposure it got throughout hockey spheres. Rangers had just come out as "the team to beat", and he went down. By all accounts, his injury was devastating, and the media only emphasized this, too.

Talbot led us to 1st in the league, improving with every single game as a starter.

It is not like Talbot is an unknown anymore. It is not like he is underrated around the league. And the fact that the Rangers have a former, and quite outspoken, front office member in Edmonton's now, leaking information about how in love he is with his once former organization member... does wonders for what Edmonton will *probably* offer, and also for what other teams that have taken notice and undoubtedly hoped would be able to acquire Talbot as a steal will have to pay to pry him away from Edmonton's figurative grasp.

Sure. Pedigree is absolutely important. It shouldn't be. But it is. No argument. But I think the exposure and recognition Talbot got by EVERY outlet this season... it more than brings him up to Schneider's at time of trade. In fact, the lovefest hangover is probably better for Talbot than what surrounded Schneider at time of trade. If you remember, the Canucks media was tearing every bit of that team to shreds, and Schneider was not always exempt.

I think they're identical, minus the 1 extra season. That 1 extra season decreases value, somewhat, because the argument for higher risk is more inherent. More of an unknown bears a higher risk. 2 seasons of this play isn't as repetitive as 3 (thank you i'm as advanced mathematically as Stephen Hawking). And for that, I would argue that instead of the #9 pick, somewhere from 15-25 is in fact, fair value. That's steep if you assign point values to picks like the NFL does. 9 to even 20 is quite a noticeable value difference. But I think it is warranted, considering we don't have the luxury of having Talbot for more than 1 year after this.

And dissecting both of their contract statuses... RFA vs. 1 year contract... that is a wash, too.

16 pick for Talbot alone, IMO, is PERFECT value. And totally justified.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There is love for White, but at #16, there is better love to be had at. ;)

#SexualInnuendosAreNotMyStrongest :laugh:

Well played.

I actually have White over Konecny but I am probably in the minority there.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I'm confused, why would 16th overall be a steal for Talbot? He showed everyone he can do perfectly well as a starter in the NHL last season.. If anything the Rangers might pick poorly (Dylan McIlrath) and be left with slats beard in the mailbox

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm confused, why would 16th overall be a steal for Talbot? He showed everyone he can do perfectly well as a starter in the NHL last season.. If anything the Rangers might pick poorly (Dylan McIlrath) and be left with slats beard in the mailbox

Great point. IMO it isn't necessarily a steal, but just perfect value.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
16th for Talbot is edge Rangers IMO but not too crazy to not be believable. That would be a solid deal that you have to make.

He would obviously be a stretch at 16 but Jeremy Bracco is absolutely electric. Going to BC to follow on the Gionta-Gerbe-Gaudreau "little guy" path.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Based on?

The traditional returns for goaltenders not being too good - and thats for starting goaltenders. Despite his great play here, Talbot is still no sure thing to be a consistent starting goalie, and I think most teams wouldn't put 1st round value into that risk.

BarbaraAlphanse

16th for Talbot is edge Rangers IMO but not too crazy to not be believable. That would be a solid deal that you have to make.

He would obviously be a stretch at 16 but Jeremy Bracco is absolutely electric. Going to BC to follow on the Gionta-Gerbe-Gaudreau "little guy" path.

And also the almost Milano path. No idea what the BJs stopped him from being under the tutelage of Jerry York.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Their production is identical if you ignore the sample size.

Maybe Talbot will be a late-bloomer and do very well on a ****** team like Edmonton, but I wouldn't bet on it. If they want to trade us a nice draft pick then awesome.

I just think that there are a lot of guys out there that are really good. I don't quite get how Schneider can be ranked above all of them without having won a game in the POs, without having won 25 games during a NHL season etc etc etc. I mean, Holtby is good. Anderson is good. Varlamov is good. Bishop is good, albeit tired right now. Ramo is good. You can go on and on and list 20 guys like that after the established elite, Price, Hank, Quick and co. It certainly seem like Schneider is getting by due to having a good pedigree. What separates most of these guys from my POV is how they perform when it really really matters, in the POs etc. Schneider hasn't even been there...

I agree on Talbkt though. I would want to see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad