Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

This is not true at all... He just signed an ELC with Edmonton.

And rookie Slepyshev on the NYR first line when he isn't even on the first line for his KHL team? The team won't really go any far.

I don't think he'd be a 1st liner. More of an equal distribution of talent throughout the 4 lines.

Also, as of May 16, the last article I found on it, Slepyshev hadn't signed with Edm yet nor his KHL team and his status was up in the air.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't think he'd be a 1st liner. More of an equal distribution of talent throughout the 4 lines.

Also, as of May 16, the last article I found on it, Slepyshev hadn't signed with Edm yet nor his KHL team and his status was up in the air.

The Edmonton Oilers announced today, they have agreed to terms with winger Anton Slepyshev on a three-year entry level contract.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=768964

I would say he is a few years away IMO. Still needs to bulk up a bit and adjust to NA ice. It'll be the Fasth route of 1.5yrs or so in the AHL IMO.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This is not true at all... He just signed an ELC with Edmonton.

And rookie Slepyshev on the NYR first line when he isn't even on the first line for his KHL team? The team won't really go any far.

Only guy Edmonton has on an ELC that might slide into the top6 on our team is Draisaitl.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ladies + gents, you have first crack at it.
I am busy for a bit. Look forward to your constructive analysis.
{Which is not just your opinion we are not trading Stepan/Brassard, but why that would be better off than with the following...)

1. Talbot + TB 2015 2nd to EDM for Pitt 1st (16OA) + EDM 2nd
conditional 2017 + 2018 NYR 3rds to Oil IF Talbot does not extend, UNLESS he is traded or injury ineligible to extend.
2 conditional 3rds
in 16-17 if Talbot not extended for that year
and 17-18 season if Talbot not extended for that year

While EDM would like to pay less, reality will force this. Maximum for Talbot is like 10th OA, and 16 + early 2nd vs late 2nd is fine.

2. Brassard (5.0), Stepan (–), Klein (2.9), Tambellini (803,333), Skapski (663.333) and Calle Andersson (661.666) + return to AZ the 4th it gave up in the Yandle deal + Edm 2nd 2015, added because of cap differential
to Coyotes
for
30A + return of next year (2016) NYR 1st + min cap dumps (perhaps creating 10m in cap space for Rangers)

AZ has like 16.8m in unused cap space, if I read it right.
For the price of an early 2nd, arguably = a late first value in a deep draft, a significant consideration, ‘yotes agree to float Rangers the 10m cap differential.

Although Stepan’s # doesn’t count until he signs, this deal is still not cap compliant without extensive dumps. However, this is an exception in that AZ has lots of cap space and can juggle roster to absorb additions before jettisoning those replaced. For its troubles, coyotes get early 2nd. AZ wants Cs, Rds and backup G. This delivers.

NY uses the 3rd OA to select Strome, a safe pick for a solid C.
Rangers need value and cap space while repurposing established assets.
Hanafin is greatly desired but is a risk, and we have to hope if we draft him 4thOA [see deal below] he will sign instantly. Otherwise we trade down and look at backliners.

3. This is a 3 way - Tor-Det-NYR:
To Detroit:
Kessel (8m per) + Phaneuf (7m per) Total cap 15m

To Toronto:
16th OA Pitt
Nash (7.8), Girardi (5.5) Yandle (2.65) + Buchenvich (rights, 0.0) Total cap 15.15m

To NYR:
4thOA Tor
JVR (4.25), Weiss (4.25), Lupul (5.25) [13.75 subtotal]
+ Larkin (.925) + Mantha (.833,333) [1.778+ subotal]
Approx total cap 15.5+
+ additional cap dumps from Detroit
LD Jonathan Ericcson (4.25) + LD Kyle Quincy (4.25) = 9.5 cap more
rangers would OTHERWISE be bust 10 mil over cap
BUT because of deal 2, they have this much cap space!!!
Deal is thus ACTUALLY cap compliant.

Result: NY uses the extra 10 m cap it prior created in deal 2 above now available, then dumps unwanted surplus to highest bidder.

Why each team approves:
Detr. wants scoring W, previously w/Babcock wanted Nash, but now Kessel could work; also wants Phaneuf w/o giving up anything to have Leafs eat part of salary. Also want to move Weiss, improve their D.
Check.

Leafs want to get younger, and better. They dump the most cap here, including Lupul + JVR — like 9.5m — above and beyond the 15m they dump on detroit. Babcock really wanted Nash, possible best player atm in the deal, and whether leaf fans like it or not, Girardi provides real D that is needed, plus is actually cheaper than Phaneuf. Move the good but oft injured Lupul. A small step backward on 16OA +Buchnevich for 4thOA, but totality of circumstances justifies, as after this deal, only Horton [on IR] and another contract or two are big deadwood restricting roster flexibility.
Check — being able to lose this much extra cap is EXTREME value to Leafs

Rangers get JVR to start, but most importantly, add Larkin a C of the future, and Mantha, who might cut it as massive RW w/Kreider + Hayes; and get a 4th OA which they use for Hanafin If we can show up with a contract and sign him right there and then (as a collegian, someone said he can pull a stunt a la Wheeler and not sign). Presumably he will sign, otherwise we can weigh options to go for next best D or trade down a couple of times.
Lupul is a variant on Girardi, but as a legit sniper might help. If he goes Drury on us and breaks down, may be able to IR out of his deal if he doesn’t produce.

Not crazy about Weiss, Quincy, Erricson adds as well, but that is the price you have to pay to get a deal done. In any event we flip these guys quickly.
Check

4. LD Quincy (cap dump) to Jets for RFA rights Paul Postma
Jets solid on right side, we are just asking them to take his salary, probably ok w/that/most of that since it is a short term deal (1 yr).

5. G Igor Shesterkin + Summer + Weiss at half price to Blackhawks
for
G Darling + RFA rights RD Dave Rundblad

Shesterkin is 1-2 years away. Crawford is their mainstay. Losing Darling’s cap and getting quality G not far down the road is solid +. Summer = late former 1st project they might have interest in, being a little heavy on the RD. Rundblad was nice as improved part, but can be had.

Weiss at half price for 3 yr, only 31 yrs old not a 35+ contract, is what they need going forward to replace Richards, likely Vermette. Not sure how much they can improve his game, but Weiss looks like a good fit on that roster.

Rangers get partial cap dump and interesting add in Rundblad

6.....Glass + Bourque + Bourque
+ for
Chara (7.9 x2 one final season after at 4m) at half price
and Boston 1st 2015

Boston wants/needs, possibly desperately, if offer sheet threat is real, space for Hamilton. Don’t want to move 1st but that is price to relocate 38 yr old Chiara.
Glass competes for bottom 6. Bourque = legacy to greatest Bruin D not named Orr.

Rangers get a situational add, expensive but reduced, as long as he doesn’t go Drury on us. Can do front of net screen goalie, freeing up Kreider to bust a move a la Saad; can use killer shot on PP.
Key here is the 1st

7. LD Jonathan Ericcson to highest bidder
I don’t care who. Whoever wants his contract.

RESULTS

NY winds up with:
Kreider Hayes Mantha
Zuc Miller JVR
Hagelin -Lindberg Fast
Hrivik Moore Haggerty
Chara

reserve
Larkin up end of year, Strome up next year
Sheppard Klingberg

G: Hank / Darling

D
McD Boyle
Staal Rundblad/McIlrath/Postma
Skjei Rundblad/McIlrath/Postma

presumably Hanafin as late in season add.

+ Bruins’ first

haven’t added up ALL the #s, but believe we have better lineup, few outstanding cap issues besides Staal (we are married to Hank at 8+).

We have gotten younger, repurposed our assets improved on C and D.

Reviews, all

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
16th overall would ve very neat if it wasnt for Sather flipping that within a hour. I really want that big russian winger.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I mean I do too, but he has more value to us as a cheap option on defense than he does as a trade chip. Klein is gonna be a cap casualty.

Would you say McIlrath is comparable to a guy like Colten Teubert? Another tough dman picked too high by a generally decent drafting team.

BarbaraAlphanse

Would you say McIlrath is comparable to a guy like Colten Teubert? Another tough dman picked too high by a generally decent drafting team.

I think McIlrath is comparable to Douglas Murray. That is the type of player I think he becomes. To a T.

*Bob Richards*

Might buy Talbot's plane ticket if Edmonton was really willing to part with a first and I love the guy.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Apparently the tweeter is from The Hockey News. Can't anyone write for that site?

1k followers. Meh, I'd wait until an actual reputable source chimes in on this.
That's the Hockey Writers, the Hockey News is the hockey publication that Bob McKenzie started with in the 80s, but is kind of ass today.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'd be pretty happy if McIlrath had a 500 GP NHL career. That pick would be far from a bust.

Yup.

I think he'll be quite a solid 2/3 pairing defenseman in the league.

Under AV, he may struggle, considering he'll need to make much quicker decisions with the puck than he is used to. He'll have to adjust. Took Yandle 30 games. Staal and Girardi 30 games. He'll get the hang of it.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm pretty sure that respected Edmonton writer Jim Matheson has also said that the Oilers would be willing to part with the #16 pick for Talbot.

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Putting McIlrath in the trade wouldn't be to help us, it would be to even up value for Edmonton. He'd be an interesting long-term project there and their tough guy Gazdic can't be dressed on a serious team. Of course it's the same story here but whatever

BarbaraAlphanse

Putting McIlrath in the trade wouldn't be to help us, it would be to even up value for Edmonton. He'd be an interesting long-term project there and their tough guy Gazdic can't be dressed on a serious team.

16 for Talbot already is even. I'm not interested in giving up a former 1st round pick who is on the upswing in addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad