Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Talbot is not comparable to Schneider at all

Very comparable. Very similar averages for very similar work loads. Goalie position is probably where stats are most significant because their goals, for the most part, are black and white and an indicator of how good they are/can be.

The only difference between their play is that Schneider had 1 extra year.

Schneider had a more hyped pedigree, too.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The Yandle trade was a stupid idea in the first place. We knew this was going to happen. Slats should've made a smart deal like some of the assets he traded for Vatanen, not Yandle. Another case of Sather just wanting to collect big names, and not thinking about what helps the team.

Or, you know, Yandle is a better PMD than Vatanen so Sather got the better player who was actually available rather than chasing an hf pipe dream.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bittner anyone? Big left winger, US-program, we like those kind of guys.

I don't see an immediate impact player outside the top-two though.

Eriksson-Ek fits our system. Barzal would be amazing if he's still around. And as a Dutchman, Daniel Sprong would be fun to see in a Rangers jersey :D

NMC means those two won't go there. Nor would I want Hall back for one of them.

Drasaitl for Staal? Goodness mios, I don't think Staal is gonna last his contract here anyway.

Of the 3, I think Nash/Staal won't finish their contracts here. Girardi I think lasts till the end. Just cause his value is so tough to appraise, you'd never know if you were getting fair value back.

Staal for Draistaitl? No way Edmonton does that.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
If the Oilers are 100% convinced through their tape-watching and analysis that Talbot is head and shoulders ahead of everyone else they can conceivably get, it's not insane. If they get a #1 goalie and a #1 defenseman they're a powerhouse for a very long time.

I don't actually think it's going to happen, but if it did it would be a calculated risk.

BarbaraAlphanse

Eriksson-Ek fits our system. Barzal would be amazing if he's still around. And as a Dutchman, Daniel Sprong would be fun to see in a Rangers jersey :D

Staal for Draistaitl? No way Edmonton does that.

Big names get big returns. I wouldn't be quick to dismiss a package like that.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Schneider had 98 NHL games of experience before being traded. Talbot has 57. Really not that comparable.

BarbaraAlphanse

If the Oilers are 100% convinced through their tape-watching and analysis that Talbot is head and shoulders ahead of everyone else they can conceivably get, it's not insane. If they get a #1 goalie and a #1 defenseman they're a powerhouse for a very long time.

I don't actually think it's going to happen, but if it did it would be a calculated risk.

Yup.

They could really go for the fences.

Free up Poo's or Nikitin's cap and go for someone like Green, too.

They'll be a team to watch next year, in terms of drastic improvement, and it can all start with a Talbot and Klein trade.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Schneider had 98 NHL games of experience before being traded. Talbot has 57. Really not that comparable.

not at all but noone here is expecting talbot to bring a top 10 pick like corey did..

i think a late 1st or early 2nd is a possibility

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Having this news out certainly sets the price high for Talbot. Other teams can now bid accordingly.

Watch Dallas here...they need a goaltender and Jim Nill is an aggressive GM. He has plenty of pieces available to move.

This could get interesting.

BarbaraAlphanse

His first year Schneider had 8 GP. His next year 2 GP.

His next 3:

---
98 GP, 88 for 3 legitimate seasons up in the NHL.

Talbot:

21 GP
36 GP
--
57 GP

More or less, the difference of the amount of games that Schneider played in his final season with Vancouver.

1 extra year on Talbot.

Check out their stats. Nearly identical for every category.

BarbaraAlphanse

Having this news out certainly sets the price high for Talbot. Other teams can now bid accordingly.

Watch Dallas here...they need a goaltender and Jim Nill is an aggressive GM. He has plenty of pieces available to move.

This could get interesting.

Talbot, Klein, Glass for Nischuskin and pick.

BarbaraAlphanse

I wouldn't hesitate. I'm a big Dr. Drai fan.

Perhaps next year, if Drai doesn't take the next step, and Edmonton proves itself as an exciting franchise. But you'd really have to sell Staal on moving there.

I think Toronto is a much more likely landing spot. Closer to Thunder Bay than Edmonton, more attractive of a city, and with arguably the best coach in the NHL.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Schneider had twice the experience/sample size, was a former 1st rounder, and like you said a better pedigree. He's a top goalie in the league, and I still wonder if the Devils would rather have Bo Horvat right now.

I think for Talbot to return anything of nice value he'll need to be packaged with Klein or someone. Look at the players we've drafted in that mid-1st range:

Staal
Cherepanov
Kreider
Del Zotto
Miller
McIlrath (lol)

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Oilers are big fans of Talbot. You can say they had a management change but MacTavish is still there as their #2. Howson is still there. Messier is still there and he is the big Talbot guy from his days here. Elliotte Friedman has reported the Oilers interest in Talbot.

Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 on Monday morning.

On how what Cam Talbot has done in New York is out of this world (following a discussion of Andrew Hammond, Craig Anderson and Robin Lehner in Ottawa):

“Yeah, he just signed. And as a matter of fact, it’s funny you mention UFA. One of the reasons the Rangers signed him when they did was they really were convinced that Edmonton was going to take a run at him this summer. That he was going to be Edmonton’s guy.

“And it’s kind of funny that way. People are saying, ‘Well, okay. You can trade Lundqvist now.’

“I’ve just been laughing. Can you imagine when Lundqvist comes back, the first time he gives up like two goals in the first five minutes – ‘Trade him and start Talbot.’

“It’s going to be crazy there.

“Good for him. Really nice kid. Another guy, long route to get here, no question.â€

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/wort...e-convinced-oilers-would-target-talbot-as-ufa

Forgot the Rangers signed one pending UFA before Marc Staal: backup goalie Cam Talbot. He’s been a great fit there. According to a couple of sources, he was on Edmonton’s radar and New York knew it. Mark Messier apparently is a fan.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-youth-movement-for-2016-world-cup/#__federated=1

Bob McKenzie has said Talbot is the Oilers primary target.

BarbaraAlphanse

Schneider had twice the experience/sample size, was a former 1st rounder, and like you said a better pedigree. He's a top goalie in the league, and I still wonder if the Devils would rather have Bo Horvat right now.

I think for Talbot to return anything of nice value he'll need to be packaged with Klein or someone.

The pedigree becomes overblown if a team, such as Edmonton, falls in love with the player in question.

I'd be happy with Klein and Talbot for 16 and Slepyshev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad