Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Kreider is the type of player you rest your playoff hopes on. I wouldn't dream of moving him. And the important thing is that he's hungry to take the next step for the team. His offseason program is ensuring that he's setting himself up for this. You want that guy on your team.

Your player evaluation is pretty comical to me. I thought Nash had a better playoffs than Kreider, and Im not afraid to say it. And I say that primarily because Nash doesn't make nearly as many stupid plays as Kreider does.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
If there was a player that wasn't hungry to "take the next step" I wouldn't want him on my team.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Nishcushkin over Goligoski.

From how much you're mentioning him on here, it really seems like you have no idea how good and important Nichuskin is to the stars. He's virtually untouchable. Seguin, Benn, Klingberg and Nichuskin. That's their young core. They're not trading him for Talbot and Hagelin. Get real.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kreider is the best young forward we have and it's only even close with Stepan. I wouldn't move him for much of anything realistic at this point.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Kreider is the best young forward we have and it's only even close with Stepan. I wouldn't move him for much of anything realistic at this point.

What happened to Hayes? Who's rookie year produced one less point than Kreide this year?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nothing happened to him. He had a really good rookie season, but hasn't yet had the chance to prove that he can consistently deliver at that level.

Neither has Kreider, but that didn't stop you from hyperbolizing him.

I like Kreider - but best forward on the team? No.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
I think everyone (myself included) is overvaluing what we're gonna get back for Talbot. Its a buyers market with Vancouver and Ottawa looking to pull the same "sell high" the Rangers are. I'd take a late 2nd rounder at this point and call it a win.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Neither has Kreider, but that didn't stop you from hyperbolizing him.

I like Kreider - but best forward on the team? No.

He's player over twice as many games.

Best young forward on the team I said. Thinking about it more, Step probably deserves that title. None the less, I don't think moving Kreider is wise at all. We need more guys like him, not less. We're all coveting players that are in his mold. If he wasn't already on the team people would be making unrealistic proposals to get him. Plus, we're already talking about losing Hagelin - so, take a speed based team, lose the two fastest players by far, then what?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The hip surgery is worrisome.

Irregardless. Hagelin and talbot for Nishcushkin and a pick. Bases for both sides.

Keep nash. It probably can work.

Stop-Using-that-Word.jpg

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He's player over twice as many games.

Best young forward on the team I said. Thinking about it more, Step probably deserves that title. None the less, I don't think moving Kreider is wise at all. We need more guys like him, not less. We're all coveting players that are in his mold. If he wasn't already on the team people would be making unrealistic proposals to get him. Plus, we're already talking about losing Hagelin - so, take a speed based team, lose the two fastest players by far, then what?

I agree with you. I think Stepan is a better player -- and this a selfish evaluation, but I like Stepan better because I feel like he gets the absolute most out of his physical tools. I don't feel the same way about Kreider. He continues to piss me off with some of the decisions he makes, but I do like him.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Stop with the Trading of Nash. We won the presidents Trophy, We went in tied in the 3rd period of the ECF and we got a flukey goal like Killorn scored, we would be in the SCF.

This is what I would do this year. Move Dan Boyle. I know he has an NTC but does he want to play for a team that does not want him. Move his salary. He still is not a bad player but we cannot afford a 4.5M cap hit for a 3rd pairing dman.

Let MSL move on. He does not justify a 5.5M deal at this point of his career. You could see in the Playoffs that he is losing his hands.

Move Jesper Fast up into the top 9. Jesper played well in the Playoffs when Zucc went down.

Put Oscar Lindberg on the 4th line. The reports I hear of Oscar is that he is ready for the NHL. Qualify him and put him on the team. Yes he has to earn it in camp but I am slotting him there.

Give Dylan McIlrath a chance at the 3rd pairing Defense. The reports I hear from Hartford is that since January, his game has progressed in a sky rocket manner. I hear he is a heart and soul type player who never loses a board battle and sticks up for his teamates. He brings a presence this team needs.

Resign Matt Hunwick

He was real dependable fill in and can play both sides. A little undersized but a good skater and stickhandler. Definatley worth 700K

This all assumes we sign and keep Stepan, Hagelin, Miller and Fast.

As far as Talbot goes, If we could get a first round pick even if its in a package (maybe with Boyle) I would trade him. If its for a 2nd round pick, I keep him till the deadline and get what I could then. Not giving him up at the draft for a 2nd round pick

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I agree with you. I think Stepan is a better player -- and this a selfish evaluation, but I like Stepan better because I feel like he gets the absolute most out of his physical tools. I don't feel the same way about Kreider. He continues to piss me off with some of the decisions he makes, but I do like him.

Yeah, I agree with that. Step gets every ounce he can out of what he has and Kreider only does that sometimes so far. He's still only got around 2 full seasons of NHL experience though, so I don't think it's at all unrealistic to expect him to be able to find some more consistency in the immediate future. He seems to really be taking training very seriously this offseason, so maybe next year will be when we see him put it all together every single shift every single night. That'd change the complexion of this team IMO - as of now, when he's on, the team almost always wins.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
I think everyone (myself included) is overvaluing what we're gonna get back for Talbot. Its a buyers market with Vancouver and Ottawa looking to pull the same "sell high" the Rangers are. I'd take a late 2nd rounder at this point and call it a win.

Yeah I'm in the keep Cam around camp. Talbot's far more valuable to next year's plans than that pick. He provides proven security and quality whenever Hank needs a break and a rested playoff Hank is the ideal. Also in the event of an injury, I'd rather be leaning on Talbot far more than any FA low budget retreads that have been mentioned.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Stop with the Trading of Nash. We won the presidents Trophy, We went in tied in the 3rd period of the ECF and we got a flukey goal like Killorn scored, we would be in the SCF.

This is what I would do this year. Move Dan Boyle. I know he has an NTC but does he want to play for a team that does not want him. Move his salary. He still is not a bad player but we cannot afford a 4.5M cap hit for a 3rd pairing dman.

Let MSL move on. He does not justify a 5.5M deal at this point of his career. You could see in the Playoffs that he is losing his hands.

Move Jesper Fast up into the top 9. Jesper played well in the Playoffs when Zucc went down.

Put Oscar Lindberg on the 4th line. The reports I hear of Oscar is that he is ready for the NHL. Qualify him and put him on the team. Yes he has to earn it in camp but I am slotting him there.

Give Dylan McIlrath a chance at the 3rd pairing Defense. The reports I hear from Hartford is that since January, his game has progressed in a sky rocket manner. I hear he is a heart and soul type player who never loses a board battle and sticks up for his teamates. He brings a presence this team needs.

Resign Matt Hunwick

He was real dependable fill in and can play both sides. A little undersized but a good skater and stickhandler. Definatley worth 700K

This all assumes we sign and keep Stepan, Hagelin, Miller and Fast.

As far as Talbot goes, If we could get a first round pick even if its in a package (maybe with Boyle) I would trade him. If its for a 2nd round pick, I keep him till the deadline and get what I could then. Not giving him up at the draft for a 2nd round pick

Great post.

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
If we don't move Talbot come draft time, I will be upset (unless we can't get good value back for him which is unlikely). Not because I don't want Talbot on this team I love the guy and think he's a great goalie, but if we have the opportunity to get a first round pick or a really nice prospect we have to do it.

It's better for both sides because he's our backup, we could get very good value back for him, and he will likely be a starter on the team we trade him to, deservedly so. It's really a no brainer which is why I'm worried our FO won't make the move.

Also I hate in the trade threads when these Oiler/Sabres fans or really anyone keep calling him a backup goalie and say he's not worth it. Yeah, he may be a backup behind Henrik ****ing Lundqvist but I truly believe he can be a very solid starter on a number of teams and he showed a glimpse of that this year.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Sounds good except that the team is then down another puck mover on the defense and that needs to be replaced. If McI is taking a spot it should be Klein's, not Boyle's IMO.
Sometimes I wish it was him taking Girardi's spot with that mammoth contract, Girrdi is part of the reason we are in such a cap crunch :shakehead

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
If we don't move Talbot come draft time, I will be upset (unless we can't get good value back for him which is unlikely). Not because I don't want Talbot on this team I love the guy and think he's a great goalie, but if we have the opportunity to get a first round pick or a really nice prospect we have to do it.

It's better for both sides because he's our backup, we could get very good value back for him, and he will likely be a starter on the team we trade him to, deservedly so. It's really a no brainer which is why I'm worried our FO won't make the move.

Also I hate in the trade threads when these Oiler/Sabres fans or really anyone keep calling him a backup goalie and say he's not worth it. Yeah, he may be a backup behind Henrik ****ing Lundqvist but I truly believe he can be a very solid starter on a number of teams and he showed a glimpse of that this year.

Agreed, and you can't even say he has only shown a sample size at this point, he has 50+ games under his belt, and he has a .930%+ save percentage, 30+ wins, I see Talbot as a legitimate starter, and I think he has very good value.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Sounds good except that the team is then down another puck mover on the defense and that needs to be replaced. If McI is taking a spot it should be Klein's, not Boyle's IMO.

I'd trade Klein now, he's too similar to Girardi and Staal.

This season D should be:

McD-G
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Mcilrath

Bring McIlrath up to play his 3rd pairing RD spot.

Get Skeji playing RD in Hartford, Re-sign Yandle.

Then the D start of 2016 season (after Boyle leaves) can be:

McD-G
Staal-Skjei
Yandle-McIlrath

OR

Staal-McD
Yandle-G
Skjei-McIlrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events