Prospect Info: 2015 18th overall - Thomas Chabot (D) Saint John Sea Dogs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He also didn't play in the Ivan Hlinka for similar reasons.

Well, he wasn't considered a very good prospect before the end of October/November, he had a decent 16 year old season, followed by a rapidly improving 17 year old season.

He is the exact type of guy the Sens like to pick in the first round. Fast risers who they believe will continue to improve.

It doesn't hurt he has fantastic skating, size, vision and puck skills. He just needs to work on his decision making and strength, which will come in time.

Outside of the first tier of D (Hanfin, Provorov, Werenski) I had Chabot leading the second tier (Chabot, Zboril, Meloche, Juulson)

****I don't know enough about the European D to make a fair judgment.

I realize that most had Zboril higher, and that's fair.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Well, he wasn't considered a very good prospect before the end of October/November, he had a decent 16 year old season, followed by a rapidly improving 17 year old season.

He is the exact type of guy the Sens like to pick in the first round. Fast risers who they believe will continue to improve.

It doesn't hurt he has fantastic skating, size, vision and puck skills. He just needs to work on his decision making and strength, which will come in time.

Outside of the first tier of D (Hanfin, Provorov, Werenski) I had Chabot leading the second tier (Chabot, Zboril, Meloche, Juulson)

Another Brian Lee in the system.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

I have high hopes for Chabot. If he hits his ceiling, he is in the same company as Hanifin and Provorov - although both of these guys have slightly higher potential as Top-2 guys.

I believe Chabot has a higher ceiling than Ceci.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Another Brian Lee in the system.

I'm guessing based on your reaction and following comments throughout the last few days you haven't watched Chabot for any amount of time and are using the only comparable that has failed in the last 10 years of Sens 1st rounders?

He plays nothing like Brian Lee aside from being a puck mover at the draft.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I've been watching a lot of footage of Chabot and I can't help but compare him to OEL. Silky smooth skater , amazing composure and passing. He's going to be really good.

These players, generally speaking, are the most valuable in the game today.

Smooth skating, good size two way dmen make impacts few other players get to make. Must be developed properly.

Re: Fast risers - Wasn't this the same scenario that motivated Ottawa to select EK?

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I'm guessing based on your reaction and following comments throughout the last few days you haven't watched Chabot for any amount of time and are using the only comparable that has failed in the last 10 years of Sens 1st rounders?

He plays nothing like Brian Lee aside from being a puck mover at the draft.

Murray said right after the pick, that Chabot needs to improve his "shooting the puck" skills

Brian Lee 6.3 good size, can not shoot the puck if his life depends on it. This pick like a déjà vu to me.
Chabot does not need to have the same style of play with Brian Lee to share Brian Lee’s fate.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Another intriguing piece of information. That all 7 American born players, Senators drafted in first round, quit on this team, asked to be traded, or were traded away. Way to go to draft another American born player Murray in the first round. :)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Murray said right after the pick, that Chabot needs to improve his "shooting the puck" skills

Brian Lee 6.3 good size, can not shoot the puck if his life depends on it. This pick like a déjà vu to me.
Chabot does not need to have the same style of play with Brian Lee to share Brian Lee’s fate.

That's an extremely week argument.

"He needs to improve his shot, just like Brian Lee. That's it, he has the same fate as Brian Lee!"

I can't tell if you're serious or not

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Another intriguing piece of information. That all 7 American born players, Senators made in first round, quit on this team, asked to be traded, or were traded away. Way to go to draft another American born player Murray in the first round. :)

Ya, let's blame Foligno, Noesen, and Eaves for being traded.

I fell for the bait, darn

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Meh, as much fun as it is to watch, you don't have to blast cannons like P.K. Subban to be successful. Karlsson and Redden on this team alone have shown that just getting the puck through legs and on net often means production.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

That is just foolish. One criticism of two prospects does not make them prone to similar fate. That's a wildly weak argument.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I really hoped we could get our hands on Zboril but Chabot is also perfectly fine with me.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I really hoped we could get our hands on Zboril but Chabot is also perfectly fine with me.

Same here but you gotta go with who's available. The D draft was deep and Chabot was next up and as mentioned likely was ahead of Zboril on the Sens board.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Foligno...I miss him.

Me too. On the other hand I don't miss the baby faced marshmallow Brian Lee at all. Chabot is going to be a decent NHL player, he has some size, skates well & is obviously skilled with the puck. Having seen Brian Lee at the development camps & now Chabot, I would say that Chabot is much more skilled than Lee. I just don't get why people still harp on him since he did nothing at the AHL & NHL level to warrant it. He was a very below average player & extremely weak defensively with basically no offence, I just don't get it. :shakehead I would take Gryba ahead of Lee any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad