Prospect Info: 2015 18th overall - Thomas Chabot (D) Saint John Sea Dogs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Great mobility...more of a powerplay QB (he tries to be the playmaker from the point, but does have a good shot if he needs to use it). He needs to bulk up and continue working on his defensive game, but made big strides with his defensive game this year.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Love the way he skates - so effortless and smooth. Great lateral movement as well.

Love how quickly he seems to join the rush - you blink and he's already up there. To me, that's a really positive sign.

Seems to think the game well and sets up nice passing lanes and move sthe puck on time and accurately.

Not sure I see a weapon with his shot, and he appears to be in need of a lot of strength training.

Overall, I love mobile guys that can add offense from the back end and skate with anybody. He's got that ability. Should be that PMD that turns possession stats in our favor. Hopefully strength isn't an issue.

Happy with the pick.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
just doesnt excite me. Long-term, more-or-less generic PMD. Maybe we hit the lottery and got another karlsson-type, and i'm not going full brennan with the 'garbage pick' idea. I know he's high potential, he's just really not that 'sexy' a pick for me. Meh means meh, not boo, just meh.

He is sexy actually, he is a late/fast riser projecting some elite skill/talent.

This is from a scout btw.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Might not be a "sexy" pick compared to some of the highe nd offensive guys we ended up passing on, but it's a great pick. I've been on the Chabot hype train since January/February when Zboril got hurt and Chabot stepped up big. The guy is such a smooth skater, and was a bit of a riser going into the draft. I come away impressed everytime I watch him play. I think a lot of fans are gonna be eating crow this time next year after watching him take a big step in the Q next season and play on Canada's WJ team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Might not be a "sexy" pick compared to some of the highe nd offensive guys we ended up passing on, but it's a great pick. I've been on the Chabot hype train since January/February when Zboril got hurt and Chabot stepped up big. The guy is such a smooth skater, and was a bit of a riser going into the draft. I come away impressed everytime I watch him play. I think a lot of fans are gonna be eating crow this time next year after watching him take a big step in the Q next season and play on Canada's WJ team.

I don't think he will be on the WJ team next season

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I don't think he will be on the WJ team next season

As if being on the WJ team even matters. It's pretty obvious by now that Hockey Canada has clear biases for and against certain players, and a stupid philosophy on how to build the team. Lets face it, the Team Canada wins WJCs in spite of managment, not because of it, just because there are so many talented players in Canada, not because Hockey Canada puts the best team possible on the ice.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think people realize. I just think it's freaking dumb to pass on skill and size because of a country.

That's assuming the Sens had Svechnikov higher than Chabot, which I highly doubt. Chabot has been their guy for months, Svechnikov would have been a fantastic pick, so is Chabot.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yes, exactly. Same lack of aggression and toughness. Fml.

I think we're lacking skill more than agression in our prospect pool to be honest. Outside of Karlsson most of our guys are shutdown two-way types (Cowen, Boro, Claesson, Englund, ect). It's nice to be able to throw a guy with skill in there as well.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Loooooooooooooool yo guys I was watching video of Chlapik video and his shift by shift and one of the best(if not the best) thing from that package was an end-to-end rush by... Chabot :laugh:

watch at 2 minute mark:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
It's not because of the name of the country but the flight risk... When are people going to realize this?

Svechnikov came to NA to learn the game here and said many times he didn't mind playing in the AHL. Gimme a break. Guy wants to play in the NHL.

I asked a friend today who played versus Chabot this year said he's not the kind of guy you notice a lot but does everything pretty well. Said he's not physical at all and that sometimes he gets outta position chasing guys but believe he might be good. Time will tell. Sharing because some people asked me to, I am no scout just a guy who watched a lot of Q this year and that's pretty much what I think of Chabot I just had a big crush on Svechnikov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad