2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
1. weiss plus smith plus pulkinnen plus 2016 1st rd pick for phaneuf and 2016 2nd rd pick(pittsburghs)

2. ericsson to buffalo/phoenix for a mid range pick(3rd at best, 5th at worst)

3. andersson to whomever for whatever

4. sign soderberg as free agent

5. sign petry or michalek

Zetts-Pav-Tatar
Abdelkader-Sheahan-Nyquist
Helm-Soderberg-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Ferraro
Callahan

Defense
Kronwallr-Phaneuf
Dekeyser-Petry
Quincey-Marchenko
Ouellet

leafs said no to this already I believe.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Is it crazy that I would want to have our D look something like this next season? Though I would feel that Green would be Zidlicky 2.0

Kronwall - Green
DD-Marchenko
XO - Jensen/Sproul

+ Mrazek full-time starter + Sheahan full season as our second line C.
That would definitely be a downgrade from this season so it all depends on whether you want us to get better or worse.

Kronwall-Green
DD-Quincey
Ericsson-Marchenko

Is much better for example and gives us better flexibility, since we can reunite Kronwall-E if Green sucks too much (he hasn't really been a top pairing d-man for Washington for a while).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That would definitely be a downgrade from this season so it all depends on whether you want us to get better or worse.

Kronwall-Green
DD-Quincey
Ericsson-Marchenko

Is much better for example and gives us better flexibility, since we can reunite Kronwall-E if Green sucks too much (he hasn't really been a top pairing d-man for Washington for a while).

This isn't just directed at you Pavels, but it's the most recent post I've seen that has it, but I'm curious about all of the reasons behind keeping Quincey over Smith. Q easily had a better year this year, but he's older, more expensive, and is only around for another year before we have to renew his deal - which likely means another raise.

Smith is younger, will still be cheaper after his RFA deal, and had a second consecutive playoffs of upping his game. Also, Quincey has likely maxed his trade value right now, and Smith - on his next, cheaper, short deal before he hits his UFA years, could be a better trade piece in a year or so. And I don't think swapping one for the other appreciably hurts us on the ice next season.

If (big if, considering the past few summers) we can land that big ticket UFA we want, I'd look at running something like:

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Marchenko
Jensen (he's out of waiver exemptions now, right?)

Ericsson can anchor that bottom pairing, Smith has looked promising with Kronwall in the past, and I think we maximize trade values as we rework our D.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
This isn't just directed at you Pavels, but it's the most recent post I've seen that has it, but I'm curious about all of the reasons behind keeping Quincey over Smith. Q easily had a better year this year, but he's older, more expensive, and is only around for another year before we have to renew his deal - which likely means another raise.

Smith is younger, will still be cheaper after his RFA deal, and had a second consecutive playoffs of upping his game. Also, Quincey has likely maxed his trade value right now, and Smith - on his next, cheaper, short deal before he hits his UFA years, could be a better trade piece in a year or so. And I don't think swapping one for the other appreciably hurts us on the ice next season.

If (big if, considering the past few summers) we can land that big ticket UFA we want, I'd look at running something like:

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Marchenko

Ericsson can anchor that bottom pairing, Smith has looked promising with Kronwall in the past, and I think we maximize trade values as we rework our D.
You want to put Smith with a declining Kronwall as a #1 pair? If we want to tank for a high pick that's a reasonable thing to do I guess...otherwise I don't see how that is beneficial at all. Smith was playing extremely sheltered minutes in the playoffs and hasn't been noticeable, good or bad...which is fine for a bottom pair guy. Again, what is the bar for Smith when you say "upped his game"? He didn't factor in offensively, didn't hit...he was OK in that he didn't make too many egregious errors, but his bar is very low in that regard. Quincey is reliable defensively and a key PK guy...saying there's not a noticeable difference swapping one for the other is not true. He's also only 3 years older than Smith so there's not a significant age gap. I'm not a Quincey fan by any means, but he brings a lot more to the table with a level of consistency Smith hasn't come close to showing.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You want to put Smith with a declining Kronwall as a #1 pair? If we want to tank for a high pick that's a reasonable thing to do I guess...otherwise I don't see how that is beneficial at all. Smith was playing extremely sheltered minutes in the playoffs and hasn't been noticeable, good or bad...which is fine for a bottom pair guy. Again, what is the bar for Smith when you say "upped his game"? He didn't factor in offensively, didn't hit...he was OK in that he didn't make too many egregious errors, but his bar is very low in that regard. Quincey is reliable defensively and a key PK guy...saying there's not a noticeable difference swapping one for the other is not true. He's also only 3 years older than Smith so there's not a significant age gap. I'm not a Quincey fan by any means, but he brings a lot more to the table with a level of consistency Smith hasn't come close to showing.

I think some people are expecting (not necessarily Winger) that when Babcock leaves (if he does) Smith will be able to play 'his game' and improve rapidly. I think Smith was overhyped at this point. We've learned a few things, Smith has an offensive mindset, but isn't good defensively. He also wasn't really producing offensively in this game plan. So with a change, it could make a difference, but he doesn't have a good breakout pass and isn't good passing in general. I don't even think a time travel machine and letting him play full out offense would've produced a much more effective Smith.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Marchenko

This is the exact pairing I would roll with. Leave Ericsson exposed to the expansion draft the following season to get Ouellet his spot in the future.

Smith might get a new lease on life with no Babs, but he needs to up his regular season consistency. The guy from the post-season needs to show up a heck of a lot more.

If Babs is back, Smith needs to be moved to what will be my new second favorite team in the league.

You could take a bigger swing and hopefully work on a way to get Petry and Green. Harder to do, either way I want them to jettison Quincey out for a pick come the draft. Perhaps we could even get our pick back from Dallas, not sure Nill would not bite and ink Quincey to an extension, he is a fan of Q.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I don't really see Kronwall-Smith as a #1 pair when we have Dekeyser-Green and Ericsson-Marchenko. My goal would be to roll each pairing roughly twenty minutes, give or take between which pairs are having good/bad nights, how penalties fall, etc.

Quincey was just as mediocre for all of his time here up until this past season, which also didn't impress me as much as it seems to have impressed others. Until the playoffs, our PK was average at best. Granted, it got hot at the right time, but the last seven games or the previous 82 was the better reflector of our PK? I don't think our PK is a reason to hang onto anyone from Quincey to Miller to Andersson. The majority of the year, it was just average. I'd be fine with shuttling those PK minutes to either Smith or letting Marchenko cut his teeth on them.

And Smith did up his play from the regular season, just as he did the year before. I would also rather have the better defensive player in Ericsson sharing the ice with a rookie. I don't think Smith is going to resurrect his career, but I do think he could be just as effective on the top pair as Ericsson, Quincey or whoever else we've stuck there recently. It's not exactly a high bar lately.

And I like Green with Dekeyser rather than Kronwall, which played no small part in putting him on the "second" pairing.

If you want to move Smith, too, I really don't mind. But then we're likely looking at bringing in another D from either free agency or trade. I think we'll be fortunate to get one of them brought in and the good chunk of the fat trimmed.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
This is the exact pairing I would roll with. Leave Ericsson exposed to the expansion draft the following season to get Ouellet his spot in the future.

Smith might get a new lease on life with no Babs, but he needs to up his regular season consistency. The guy from the post-season needs to show up a heck of a lot more.

If Babs is back, Smith needs to be moved to what will be my new second favorite team in the league.

You could take a bigger swing and hopefully work on a way to get Petry and Green. Harder to do, either way I want them to jettison Quincey out for a pick come the draft. Perhaps we could even get our pick back from Dallas, not sure Nill would not bite and ink Quincey to an extension, he is a fan of Q.

based on what i've read, you may have to protect players with NTC.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
based on what i've read, you may have to protect players with NTC.

I'd wonder if some clubs could meet the requirements for players exposed/protected if they were forced to protect every player with an NTC. I don't really see the justification for it in the CBA, though. The expansion draft isn't a trade, it's closer to waivers, and an NTC doesn't protect a player from waivers. I could understand having to protect players with an NMC, though.

I don't really get the hesitancy to move Quincey, either. If we want to remake the blueline, he's easily one of the most movable guys, he's not irreplaceable with Dekeyser and Ericsson still around, and he makes a good chunk of change. Moving him just makes sense. And if we make a move for two guys, I think it becomes a necessity.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We need someone to play alongside Kronwall. If you're not getting Phaneuf or Green with the intent to play them at #1 RD, please don't bother.

We're all gonna have a bad time with E or Smith as the #1 RD.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
We need someone to play alongside Kronwall. If you're not getting Phaneuf or Green with the intent to play them at #1 RD, please don't bother.

We're all gonna have a bad time with E or Smith as the #1 RD.

i'd change that if you're getting phaneuf with the intent to play him at #1RD, don't bother..

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you get Phaneuf I play him on the second pair. Sure on certain nights where he looks like monster Phaneuf (they do happen I am not joking) you up his ice time and treat his pairing as the first pairing. I would put him with DeKeyser and profit.

It would take some serious movement to get Phaneuf and Green though not impossible if that is the case it gets a little more interesting on how I would sort that out. Without seeming like I am totally passing the buck, that becomes a straight pre-season decision for me where I need to see a couple pairings tried out.

I like the idea of DK and Green a lot. Not real high on Kronwall and Phaneuf as a pairing. So it probably pushes Green up which I am wary of.

It has to happen which seems unlikely though before I get real bent out of shape.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't see his name mentioned much around here but Andrej Sekera is a great defenseman who I hope the Wings make a big push for. Smart, smooth skating defenseman who would really help our transition game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you get Phaneuf I play him on the second pair. Sure on certain nights where he looks like monster Phaneuf (they do happen I am not joking) you up his ice time and treat his pairing as the first pairing. I would put him with DeKeyser and profit.

It would take some serious movement to get Phaneuf and Green though not impossible if that is the case it gets a little more interesting on how I would sort that out. Without seeming like I am totally passing the buck, that becomes a straight pre-season decision for me where I need to see a couple pairings tried out.

I like the idea of DK and Green a lot. Not real high on Kronwall and Phaneuf as a pairing. So it probably pushes Green up which I am wary of.

It has to happen which seems unlikely though before I get real bent out of shape.

Our 2nd pair was solid last year. Dekeyser can anchor that pairing. If we're spending 7 million on a guy, he needs to come in and play on the top pair. Kronwall has been a minus player for a few years now. He needs some help. He's been babysitting Ericsson long enough.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Our 2nd pair was solid last year. Dekeyser can anchor that pairing. If we're spending 7 million on a guy, he needs to come in and play on the top pair. Kronwall has been a minus player for a few years now. He needs some help. He's been babysitting Ericsson long enough.

I don't want to pay Phaneuf 7 million dollars though. That gets done with salary retention or they don't get the first round pick in 2016 if it is me and they want that. Hopefully that gets them eating at least a million or 1.5 million.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't want to pay Phaneuf 7 million dollars though. That gets done with salary retention or they don't get the first round pick in 2016 if it is me and they want that. Hopefully that gets them eating at least a million or 1.5 million.

Either way, don't understand why we're sitting here talking about adding Phaneuf and Green while admitting we don't think they can handle top pair minutes.

We need to improve the top pair first and foremost, then worry about the rest.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
re: Sekera

Like him, but he's a lefty. to me it's the biggest knock against adding Phaneuf, as well. If it came down to adding Sekera or going into next season with the same blueline, I'd easily add Sekera, but I'd really like to see us go hard after a right handed upgrade first.

It's arguable he would be babysitting Phaneuf a little bit, though, too. Not as much, but a little. I've never been able to really get on board with the guy, but I think Petry could be a natural fit with Kronwall. He plays a quiet game, seems safe, right handed, and we could (maybe) afford him and another upgrade. We start talking about adding Phaneuf and Green and I have a hard time seeing salaries work, though I'd really welcome the snarl in Phaneuf's game.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Need to trim the fat.

Get rid of

Gustavsson
Smith
Ericsson oh god please
Kindl
Weiss

HC doesn't matter to me. I'll be happy either way.

We need Green or Phaneuf. Phaneuf contract needs to be eaten by. Toronto a bit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm a big fan of Martin, if he's available would want him over Phaneuf. I think that solidifies the top pair and gets it back to a positive pair.

If Petry is close to as good as some think, I'll give it a shot at this point. Remember being underwhelmed with Stralman, and I'd kill for him at this point.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Kronwall-Sekera
DeKeyser - Green
Quincey - Marchenko

I wish we could trade Ericsson.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm a big fan of Martin, if he's available would want him over Phaneuf. I think that solidifies the top pair and gets it back to a positive pair.

If Petry is close to as good as some think, I'll give it a shot at this point. Remember being underwhelmed with Stralman, and I'd kill for him at this point.

I like Martin, too. And I felt the same way about Stralman. Admittedly, I'm a little biased against Martin just because of his age, but if he upgrades our D at least for the short term, it has to be looked at.

What makes me leery of anything happening, and pushes me toward's Heaton's pessimism, is that all of this litterally rests on Holland's willingness to clean house a bit. If he's unwilling to do what he needs to do to move some players and contracts off this club, the Wings won't be doing anything. And that might even include giving the kids a legit shot to make the team next year, which is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad