2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Z4C is pretty much spot on. What FA forwards are going to be available?

I think the list begins and ends with Carl Soderberg. After him, if you're looking for guys on the right side of thirty, the list gets pretty thin. If you're looking at older guys, the list doesn't get much better.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
To Win Another Cup…

What do the Wings realistically need?

I’m going to try to be positive here, but to define “realisticallyâ€, I’ve resigned myself to limiting this discussion to the following parameters:

• Ken Holland will remain the GM for the foreseeable future
  • Holland will not radically change his methods (trading Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg, tanking for a top pick, etc.)
  • No NHL players currently regarded as elite will somehow fall into our lap
  • The Wings will not turn a minor UFA or late draft pick into an All-Star overnight

That said, what pieces does Detroit need? Ultimately, I think it comes down to one new coach, two solid defensemen, and three forwards.

One new coach – Don’t get me wrong; I’m a Babcock fan. The guy is easily one of, if not the best coach in the NHL these days. But eventually the message wears thin for anybody, and if there’s any truth to the rumors that he wants more say in player personnel, then now is likely a good time for a change, both for him and for the Wings. I don’t know if Blashill is good enough to eventually get the Wings back to the mountaintop again, but he seems to be the heir apparent for now, and I’m fine with giving him a shot.

Two solid defensemen – I think this is a realistic compromise for the blueline. I really believe we need a 1A guy and a top-4 guy, but I don’t see a realistic way of landing a #1 guy, so I think the top priority is to target a handful of 1B/2A players, and use both trades and free agency to land two of them. Whether that’s Green and Phaneuf, or guys we haven’t even considered yet, the defense definitely needs some significant help, over and above the caliber of deadline rentals we’ve seen over the last few years.

Three forwards – Three? Are you crazy? We have forwards coming out of our ears! One, I could understand, but three?!? Hear me out. Since the premise is for a realistic process, I’m assuming this will take at least another 2-3 years to complete. Given that timeframe, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are now either gone altogether, or clearly on the way out, only reliable as supporting players, and nowhere near carrying the load anymore. Therefore, two of the three forwards are collectively helping to perform similar roles that #13 and #40 perform now (not saying they’ll magically be as good or better, just called on to do similar things). And the third guy up front? In my opinion, they need a true power forward, to create some space for their smaller players, and to be a legit scoring threat in his own right.

I’m not saying any of this is a snap to accomplish, and maybe you disagree that it’s even realistic. But while I’m looking forward to guys like Mantha, Larkin, and AA, I don’t believe the collective farm system will ever be enough BY ITSELF to get us there, so I’m wondering what Holland will be willing to part with in a trade, because striking the balance between internal and external supplementation (without completely emptying the cupboard) is the challenge in play.

So what do you think? What specific pieces do the Wings really need, and what avenue(s) do they need to use to get them?

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
#1, a GM who has the guts to do his job. People will say they dont want a GM who speaks their mind and is frank about the situation but I do. I want him to be honest and truthful, when he says "we like our team" he is lying because their is NO WAY he and Babs talk like that to each other and never ever talk about how and where the team needs to improve on those countless plane trips and closed door meetings over a beer.

I want to hear Ken Holland say we need to get young, bigger and deeper upfront and we must improve the backend and will be aggressively trying to do so.

#2 IF Babcock leaves then bring in Blashill but keep the supporting staff

#3 Trade away/move out weiss, andersson, kindl, ericssson

#4 move on from cleary, zidlicky and cole. Make absolutely no offers to them and no expression of intention of offers

#5 make a significant impact trade on the blueline even if it costs us good prospects and a 1st rd pick.

#6 do not sign nyquist long-term as he has not proven he is worth being a red wing longterm at this point. A new deal no more then four years in length.

#7 keep howard for this season unless he wants out. Let him and Mrazek battle it out

#8 LTIR Franzen

I like your list but I think that they'll make an offer for Cole unless he retires. I don't agree with it and I don't think it is smart but if he is playing I can see the wings making that move until they can mature some of the F prospects we have coming up the pipe.

One way or another we need goal scoring in the front end. Does anyone think we could strike a reasonable deal with Chi this offseason? They'll need to move cap, we could give a prospect dman, maybe someone like Pulk and maybe some more for a guy like Saad? Not sure who else they've consider moving. I'd stay away from Sharp but that's just me.

EDIT: I realize Saad may be a bit unrealistic. Just thoughts.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Vermette, Petry - in

Kindl, Howard - out

agree on petry and kindl. not on vermette.

i don't think it's wise to move howard now, unless they are sure they can get someone with good track record to replace him. he also has that limited NTC. mrazek is awesome but not a good idea to bank on him just yet. will be his first full season in NHL. holland is all about depth or 'depth'. moving howard isn't realistic.

To avoid hearing the phrase "we like our team".

My biggest concern is becoming like Calgary a few years back. Too good to enter a full rebuild, but not good enough to do anything in the postseason. Finishing 8th - 10th every year.

same here.

frolik or fehr would be nice.. depending on money they ask and frolik could still re-sign.

I like your list but I think that they'll make an offer for Cole unless he retires. I don't agree with it and I don't think it is smart but if he is playing I can see the wings making that move until they can mature some of the F prospects we have coming up the pipe.

One way or another we need goal scoring in the front end. Does anyone think we could strike a reasonable deal with Chi this offseason? They'll need to move cap, we could give a prospect dman, maybe someone like Pulk and maybe some more for a guy like Saad? Not sure who else they've consider moving. I'd stay away from Sharp but that's just me.

EDIT: I realize Saad may be a bit unrealistic. Just thoughts.

yeah, they aren't going to let saad walk. someone would have to throw insane offer sheet at him.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada

Yeah I hear you on the forwards. What do you think of frolik though? Not saying he's awesome but he'd be a good 3rd line winger, 2nd line tweener that can put up around 40 points and 20 goals. It keys us move a forward if need be to address a need.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
All we need is a top six winger that goes into corners and all that.. Does Soderberg to that?

Top 2 dman and your dcore is pretty solid with

Kronner/Top 2
Danny D/Quincey
Ericsson/Marchenko or Ouellet

Mrazek
Howie

I would love to flop out Ericsson for someone else, But I dont think they do that.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
mrazek is awesome but not a good idea to bank on him just yet. will be his first full season in NHL. holland is all about depth or 'depth'. moving howard isn't realistic.

And that's what everyone is forgetting.

Certainly I recall people stating Montreal should trade Carey Price after Halak's run in the playoffs a few years ago.

There is nothing wrong with letting Mrazek and Howard battle it out in camp next year. Unless you receive a good offer for Howard this summer.

A competent defensemen or two is what continues to hold us back. Just improving that issue slightly could do wonders and give us a better idea on what needs to happen next.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Can I ask the obsession with Petry or Martin or Green?!

I don't think any of those guys are cup contending mode, just mediocre. Green is horrible at defense and injury prone. Martin is what 35 or 36? Petry is younger and well rounded, I still don't think he's good enough to be our big D acquisition.

I am all about getting Phaneuf. We need size and physicality. Add a good shot and getting him outta that gong show in Toronto and I think he excels here.

IF we could combine like Petry with one of the others, big improvement. Him alone I'm not convinced is a big deal.

And that's what everyone is forgetting.

Certainly I recall people stating Montreal should trade Carey Price after Halak's run in the playoffs a few years ago.

There is nothing wrong with letting Mrazek and Howard battle it out in camp next year. Unless you receive a good offer for Howard this summer.

A competent defensemen or two is what continues to hold us back. Just improving that issue slightly could do wonders and give us a better idea on what needs to happen next.

I think they are going to keep both and split as evenly as possible and take the better one as the starter down the stretch and or playoffs. Which I think is a great plan not having a goalie at the end of the season with 60 starts....

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011

I don't think any of those guys are cup contending mode, just mediocre. Green is horrible at defense and injury prone. Martin is what 35 or 36? Petry is younger and well rounded, I still don't think he's good enough to be our big D acquisition.

I am all about getting Phaneuf. We need size and physicality. Add a good shot and getting him outta that gong show in Toronto and I think he excels here.

IF we could combine like Petry with one of the others, big improvement. Him alone I'm not convinced is a big deal.
Petry is arguably just as good as Phaneuf, and we wouldn't have to give anything up to get him.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Unless they are retaining a crap ton and it doesn't cost a lot in assets then fine go after Phaneuf. But realize you're getting a 2/3 defenseman that's being paid as if he's elite. That's absolutely not what you go after in a cap world.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Petry while he is good he is not phAneuf. A big physical d man who would instantly have the hardest shot among d man. Petry is pretty much a Dekeyser but right handed. The wings need more speed and size. PhAneuf while big is not fast but his physical play would add a good demention. Petry, if faster is not much and seems to me less physical than Dekeyser. Green while not the best defender would add decent size at 205 and great speed plus an actual pp QB for the second pair while Kronner stays with the first pair. As for forwards, size and speed and intelligence on dats wing or a shooter with speed. Cole if he does lose much speed is a good choice on second or third line. Not sure of any other free agent forwards. Speed speed speed as in Tyler Johnson speed killed the wings.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Green costs nothing but cap space and would instantly be our best offensive defenseman. He would score 50+ points every single year. For a team that sucks out loud at scoring at even strength the easiest way to address that is to add an elite offensive d-man and Green is your only shot at getting anything close to that type of offensive d-man.

I'm sure he will cost too much and Holland will strike out and go with Zidlicky or Martin because he likes the bargain bin.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Yeah I hear you on the forwards. What do you think of frolik though? Not saying he's awesome but he'd be a good 3rd line winger, 2nd line tweener that can put up around 40 points and 20 goals. It keys us move a forward if need be to address a need.

I'm all for help on offense, especially since it looks like Franzen is going the way of Pronger.

I definitely think Riley and Helm need to move around a little.
What do you think of this?

Tatar-Datsyuk-Abby
Zetta-Sheahan-Nyquist
Frolik-Helm-Jurco/Pulks/Cole(if he comes back) rotating for this spot
Miller-Luke-Lando

Andersson (ugh), Weiss (assuming he is still here) Mantha, Larkin if we need bodies.

DEFENSE:
Kronwall-Green/Phaneuf (whichever we get.)
DDK-Q
Ericsson-Petry
XO, March, Sproul for the extras

Mrazek/Howard. I'm fine with Jimmy as backup for now.

I'm not sure who our #3 G will be since Monster is probably out of here. I'm not as big on the prospects like most of you guys here are.

Franzen LTIR (if he's healthy next year, he gets 2nd line RW and Gus gets 3rd line. They can rotate.)
Cleary retires or signs a one year deal with a scrub team like Carolina.

I think one of Green, Petry, or Phaneuf will be in red & white next season.

Zidlicky can go back to Jersey. Kindl probably ends up waived or shipped off to TOR with Weiss and Smith for Dion.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
I don't know if they should get rid of Ericsson. He is their only physically intimidating player and he has some skill. I could see giving him less responsibility but getting rid of him would be a mistake.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I don't know if they should get rid of Ericsson. He is their only physically intimidating player and he has some skill. I could see giving him less responsibility but getting rid of him would be a mistake.
Ericsson isn't physically intimidating at all...unless you're talking about his willingness to fight. In terms of actually playing the game he's not a guy players are thinking twice about going in corners with or challenging in front of the net.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Green and Phaneuf would be a good start. I wonder how these early playoff exits have affected the players desire to come play here. Hopefully Zetterberg doesn't start falling apart.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sign Mike Green and then trade Smith/Ericsson+ for Wiz.

If the Ducks are moving Wisniewski they won't be taking back a Dman, it will mean they are deciding to go with the other in-house options.

I do think the Wings and Ducks line up on a trade for Wiz this off season , if Detroit is interested in him of course. The Ducks may be looking for a replacement for Beleskey's gritty secondary scoring, and Abdelkader would be a great fit. I think him and Wiz are close in value, but I would expect Detroit to add given the extra year on Wiz's contract.

Any interest in something along the lines of Abdelkader, Paterson and a 3rd for Wisniewski?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If the Ducks are moving Wisniewski they won't be taking back a Dman, it will mean they are deciding to go with the other in-house options.

I do think the Wings and Ducks line up on a trade for Wiz this off season , if Detroit is interested in him of course. The Ducks may be looking for a replacement for Beleskey's gritty secondary scoring, and Abdelkader would be a great fit. I think him and Wiz are close in value, but I would expect Detroit to add given the extra year on Wiz's contract.

Any interest in something along the lines of Abdelkader, Paterson and a 3rd for Wisniewski?

abby yes, depenging on the contract he's after. paterson sure. would prefer prospect instead of 3rd but that will do.

i think that is more costly than what you gave for wiz so i doubt you get that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad