2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Snake your feelings about Smith are well documented and known. You obviously lack the ability to objectively evaluate his play at this point. He was without question one of our best defensemen in this series and considerably better than his regular season form. What exactly that means for the future is open for discussion. He did, however, account for himself well in that series.
I can be objective with Smith. I didn't rag on him once during the series because for the most part he was solid. He's a 3rd pairing guy though...and he has a future in the league in that role. He wasn't out there playing head to head against Stamkos or Johnson, and I think if you protect him he can be provide some mobility and a bit of snarl on a bottom pair. I just believe he can be used to upgrade the team as a trade piece, that's all.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You'd rather lose a prospect and a 2nd/3rd, than lose just a prospect?

I wouldn't.

When did I say anything about draft picks? Either way, draft picks are pretty overrated right now too. We have too many prospects and not enough spots for them. I liked the trades at the deadline, but obviously I want to see deals for better, long term options.

If I had my wish, I'd move out Howard, Smith, Kindl, Weiss, Andersson etc... I don't care about the return, just get rid of the dead weight.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Grit, and defenseman.

Watching the WPG/Anaheim series, Matt Beleskey (UFA this off season), comes to mind, guy was buzzing all series, this year was probably an aberration from him (22g/65gp) but the guy hits a lot and creates chances.

make a package with Jurco for upgrade on defense to make room for Beleskey

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
When did I say anything about draft picks? Either way, draft picks are pretty overrated right now too. We have too many prospects and not enough spots for them. I liked the trades at the deadline, but obviously I want to see deals for better, long term options.

If I had my wish, I'd move out Howard, Smith, Kindl, Weiss, Andersson etc... I don't care about the return, just get rid of the dead weight.

I'm all for moving Howard if the return is right, but I don't see the necessity in moving him now when we can use him to split time with Mrazek for a year and know we at least have a competent backup. I'm not a huge fan of the guys in GR right now, and the goalie market over the summer always seems to be a crapshoot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Well the caveat would be that the guys you're talking about aren't good enough to net a rental by themselves, and if they were, they would be guys good enough to make the team eventually.

That's at least true for Jarnkrok, Backman, Janmark type players, as we saw with the included 2nd round picks. Good enough to package with a pick for a rental, but guys who were probably on the outside looking in here.

So in that case I'd rather just let the situation played out. They go back to Sweden, whatever. Have fun and listen to some Alesso. Could have had some nice players in the 2nd. But that's the price of doing this rebuilding while staying competitve thing.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Ultimately regardless who's coaching I hope we can finally establish an identity again. Look at the teams left...

Rangers, Blackhawks, Lightning, Habs...all built on team speed, transition and mobility on defense.

Flames, Ducks and Caps...size, forechecking and physical play.

We aren't really fast, we aren't really physical or big. Holland and whoever is coaching needs to form this roster with an idea of what style of team we want to be.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I'm all for moving Howard if the return is right, but I don't see the necessity in moving him now when we can use him to split time with Mrazek for a year and know we at least have a competent backup. I'm not a huge fan of the guys in GR right now, and the goalie market over the summer always seems to be a crapshoot.
If San Jose would take Howard in a package for Thornton or even Marleau I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. I'm not giving away Howard but I'd use him as a piece, most definitely.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

In my scenario we'd use the huge amount of cap space moved out for something more than a part-time goalie. But that's obviously in a perfect world.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If San Jose would take Howard in a package for Thornton or even Marleau I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. I'm not giving away Howard but I'd use him as a piece, most definitely.

I'd probably take that, but I'm not sure SJ would. If they move Thornton, I think they're effectively saying that they're not a contending team any more. At that point, are they going to want to invest in a $5m goalie like Howard, or are they going to want mostly picks/prospects? I don't know their system, do they have some guys in the minors ready to come up and back fill up front if they moved Thornton?

Yeah, that's along the lines I was thinking of a "right price," though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In my scenario we'd use the huge amount of cap space moved out for something more than a part-time goalie. But that's obviously in a perfect world.

fair enough. I hope to see some moves made over the summer, but looking at the number and type of contracts we still have on the books for next season makes me doubtful about any future moves. I think this team is clearly not good enough to have real hopes of winning the cup next season, but is that enough to convince Holland to start ripping at the seams? I don't know.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Mrazek will be forcing Holland's hand regarding trading Howard sooner rather than later, it seems. Perhaps being forced to trade a longtime player who was also drafted by the team will ease Holland's mental block about making bigger trades. One can dream.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
fair enough. I hope to see some moves made over the summer, but looking at the number and type of contracts we still have on the books for next season makes me doubtful about any future moves. I think this team is clearly not good enough to have real hopes of winning the cup next season, but is that enough to convince Holland to start ripping at the seams? I don't know.

I think we both know Holland won't do anything of impact this summer. Maybe trading for Phaneuf, but that's not enough.

Mrazek will be forcing Holland's hand regarding trading Howard sooner rather than later, it seems. Perhaps being forced to trade a longtime player who was also drafted by the team will ease Holland's mental block about making bigger trades. One can dream.

I disagree 100%. Holland will have no qualms leaving Howard as a guy 'battling' for the #1 job while paying him a #1 goalie's salary.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Holland's hand isn't forced until he has to pay Mrazek, and can't afford to keep both.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
So I've got a question for ya'll

Doesn't it seem kinda silly to go into next season with about 11 million tied up in two players (howard and Weiss ) that won't play regularly?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Doesn't it seem kinda silly to go into next season with about 11 million tied up in two players (howard and Weiss ) that won't play regularly?

Not much alternative at this point. Buying out Weiss only spreads the pain over more years, and Howard at least insures we have two NHL level goalies. Trading them is always possible, but I don't expect much of a market for Weiss or a large enough offer for Howard.

I think we both know Holland won't do anything of impact this summer. Maybe trading for Phaneuf, but that's not enough.

If he makes a move for Phaneuf, I think it'd force other moves just to fit cap/roster limits - assuming Toronto doesn't decide to just to take what we offered last time, which would surprise me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Howard will start at least 40-50% of the games next year. I'll bet on it. They will go with a 1a/1b tandem.

Weiss will either be traded this off-season, or new coach will play him. A lot of that was a Babcock/Weiss riff.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Howard will start at least 40-50% of the games next year. I'll bet on it. They will go with a 1a/1b tandem.

Weiss will either be traded this off-season, or new coach will play him. A lot of that was a Babcock/Weiss riff.

Couldn't disagree more. 1. Yea they will try a 1 a 1 b tandum in net. It won't work. Mrazek has shown he is way more athletic and he will take the crease over with his play alone. Howard doesn't play good under pressure with some one riding his ass for the starting job. Mrazek plays better under pressure. Simply put howard will loose the crease at some point.

2. As for wiess. The guy just flat out sucks. He is too stupid to play system hockey and the guy is just a liability on the ice. Hes gunna be a year older... He's done.

We will find out next year. It just doesn't make sense to have 11 million wasted like that, obv there arnt manny choices and Hollands hands are tied. But it's time to see if holland can make an acual trade to improve this team or if he just stays on path. If he stays on the same path I gurantee 2016 will be the year we miss the PLAYOFFS. Are roster is too much of a mess for holland to sit back this season

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I do appologize for the poor grammer, I'm not sure how to edit posts mobile. And it's hard for me to type on the I phone 6 with the bigger screen

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Upgrade the defense. For me that's the biggest thing. This team needs guys that can move the puck up the ice. Get two of Green/Petry/Phaneuf/Boychuck/Ehrhoff.

I used to be against the Phaneuf deal, but I really don't think it will be that bad. If they could package Ericsson or Weiss in the deal, do for it. Stack the top four defensemen WIth Kronwall, DK, Phaneuf, and Green/Boychuck/Ehrhoff if possible. Quincey can rotate up and down, and get cheap guys to fill in the 6th and 7th spots. A lot of this hinges on Ericsson being gone, and I doubt that happens.

The forwards did well until the playoffs started. I'd prefer Helm go back to center, third line. Give Sheahan top six duties and roll with center depth: Datsyuk/Sheahan/Helm/Glendening.

Abby/Datsyuk/Tatar
Zetterberg/Sheahan/Nyquist
Pulk/Helm/Jurco
Glendening Line

With some decent puck movers on the back end, it will make the entire forward core better, obviously. I'd like to see a more possession style again, and Babcock probably needs to go for that to happen.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
a puck moving defenceman, All year my dad was saying get it to the point and shoot. We tried but when we did the defence mishandles the puck and it went down the ice, the shot was blocked, the dman mishandled the puck and it caused a breakaway. Once a blue more they got a shot on goal
Ericson needs to be gone, cleary needs to be gone, Franzen can come back if healthy, Weiss will not be back as Babcock will not play him,

I like our youth I say promote the 2 studs in grand rapids, get a free agent d man, if were going with the kid trade Howard and ericsson for a scoring Forward.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I disagree 100%. Holland will have no qualms leaving Howard as a guy 'battling' for the #1 job while paying him a #1 goalie's salary.

By "sooner rather than later" I didn't particularly mean this offseason or during next season. But I think a Howard trade will be seriously considered by this time next year, rather than in 2-3 years as many thought previously.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
By "sooner rather than later" I didn't particularly mean this offseason or during next season. But I think a Howard trade will be seriously considered by this time next year, rather than in 2-3 years as many thought previously.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Holland ever just dumping a homegrown player.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
My wish list would be

Hc someone new. Blashill most likely.

holland gone and replaced.

Then as I see our best lineup with our current players would be:

Tat dat
Nyquist. Z
Helm sheahan Abby
Miller glendening jurco

Then defense the biggest thing is redoing the pairings.

For 1 year(quincy has 1 year left on deal).
Kronwall Smith(both of the guys played their,best hockey together).
Dekeyser quincy pretty solid pairing
Ericsson marchenko.

Like everyone I would love an upgrade. If one of Kronwall ericson or quincy could be moved and upgraded I would be all for it But I doubt it happens.

Goalie I would do a straight up tandem every other game they start. Howard and mrazek and ride the hit,hand,in playoffs.

I have two holes that are a must to be upgraded. A big winger on the top line and a second line center. Malkin is rumored to be on the block I wouldn't hesitate to get him even if it costs us nyquist mrazek and then one mid level prospect. I'd hesitate if they wanted Mantha or Larkin as the 3rd

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
#1, a GM who has the guts to do his job. People will say they dont want a GM who speaks their mind and is frank about the situation but I do. I want him to be honest and truthful, when he says "we like our team" he is lying because their is NO WAY he and Babs talk like that to each other and never ever talk about how and where the team needs to improve on those countless plane trips and closed door meetings over a beer.

I want to hear Ken Holland say we need to get young, bigger and deeper upfront and we must improve the backend and will be aggressively trying to do so.

#2 IF Babcock leaves then bring in Blashill but keep the supporting staff

#3 Trade away/move out weiss, andersson, kindl, ericssson

#4 move on from cleary, zidlicky and cole. Make absolutely no offers to them and no expression of intention of offers

#5 make a significant impact trade on the blueline even if it costs us good prospects and a 1st rd pick.

#6 do not sign nyquist long-term as he has not proven he is worth being a red wing longterm at this point. A new deal no more then four years in length.

#7 keep howard for this season unless he wants out. Let him and Mrazek battle it out

#8 LTIR Franzen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad