2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah, I was definitely a Voynov fan back before it became obvious he's a gigantic d-bag. I want absolutely nothing to do with him. Hockey is the one sport where most of the guys are normal people you can relate/identify with. I'd prefer to not have to root for guys whom I loathe as human beings. I'm not an NFL fan and part of the reason is because of how unlikable guys like Michael Vick and Aaron Hernandez are. This is supposed to be entertainment and I would not enjoy having Voynov on the Wings.

i agree. keep that POS far away from red wings.

I wanted the Wings to dump Stuart at the end when Martin was available. I'm not sure how his game has stayed since then. When he was on the Devils, I considered him a poor man's #1.

he's probably more of a very good 2nd pairing guy at this point.

which would make him easily 3rd and arguably 2nd best dman on this team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Paul Martin?

Hard Pass. IIRC, He was awful one year then was much better the last. Still have little interest in him.

He had 1 bad season where Pitt fans hated him. But that's about it.

Other than that he has been a rock solid, big minute reliable guy.

We need a #1 RD, and he is probably our best option to fill that role via free agency. We should definitely consider him.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If Holland's goal wasn't to build a 1st round exit team, trading Quincey, Gator and Helm would net a decent return towards the TDL. 1-2 1st round picks.

Gator, Quincey, and to an extent, Helm are all going to command significant raises next season. With it being very likely none of those players come close to living up to their new contracts. If they aren't shipped out, we are looking at three more roster spots locked up by either declining or average talent for the next 4-5 years.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If Holland's goal wasn't to build a 1st round exit team, trading Quincey, Gator and Helm would net a decent return towards the TDL. 1-2 1st round picks.

Gator, Quincey, and to an extent, Helm are all going to command significant raises next season. With it being very likely none of those players come close to living up to their new contracts. If they aren't shipped out, we are looking at three more roster spots locked up by either declining or average talent for the next 4-5 years.

I agree to a point, I understand the idea about moving out Abdelkader, but I'm worried that we don't have anyone else like him to fill in cheaper and produce anywhere near would he (hopefully) can.

But we both know, Holland cannot trade his homegrown talent that has been established in the league. They'll get market value contracts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I hadn't thought of it, but I actually like this idea. Makes a lot of sense.

But as Heaton said, yeah can't see it happening unfortunately.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Abdelkader is a Wing for life. I'd put my money on that.

Eh, I don't know. The top two offensive players are still Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Is adding more offensive weapons really a luxury when your top contributors are 35 and 37? Those guys looking slower and less physical are still able to outproduce our young guns.

Defense is obviously the top priority, but I don't think you can ignore the holes that exist and will only continue to grow at forward either.

Yes it is. When you have young players in Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco who all need bigger roles and Pulkkinen, Mantha, Larkin, AA, Bertuzzi all 1-2 years at most away from full time NHL jobs....adding another forward is a luxury IMO.

Those assets need to be used to fill their biggest weakness, the defense. The odds of a combo of Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, and Pulks (and Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar, Sheahan) filling the scoring void left by Z and D are MUCH more likely than XO or Marchenko becoming legit top 4 guys. At least in my humble opinion.

Is Oduya right handed?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Wouldn't mind shipping out Abdelkader in a package for a defensive upgrade if we could also sign Soderberg to fill the size void. But can't see Abdelkader being traded.

As for Voynov, absolutely no chance Wings would consider him now. Wings are a very family-oriented franchise, they're always playing that aspect up. And I can't imagine the effect that might have on the room with guys like Zetterberg, Helm, Franzen, etc. Family guys suddenly sharing a room with a guy who (allegedly, gotta put that in for now) brutally beat his girlfriend.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
paul martin the best UFA option?

if so then yikes we're in deep trouble

we need a mike green more so then a paul martin

a guy who can skate and move the puck properly and run the powerplay, properly.

we need a dman who can help us transition to offence from the backend and collect at minimum 35 plus pts on the season but more likely 40 plus pts

if its no mike green then it HAS to be by trade

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

we need a dman who can help us transition to offence from the backend and collect at minimum 35 plus pts on the season but more likely 40 plus pts

We need to be able to deploy a top pairing that doesn't get eaten alive by the other team's best forwards. Martin helps you do that more than Green.

Our power play was fine last year. Actually, it was really good.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Quincey doesn't deserve more money unless he scores.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Quincey doesn't deserve more money unless he scores.

I am expecting a repeat situation like we saw with Ericsson. Q's agent is going to own Holland. Holland has zero leverage and nothing to call his bluff with. Not to mention the fact that Holland will not let some rookie take over Q's spot. Gotta preserve that 1st round exit.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I am expecting a repeat situation like we saw with Ericsson. Q's agent is going to own Holland. Holland has zero leverage and nothing to call his bluff with. Not to mention the fact that Holland will not let some rookie take over Q's spot. Gotta preserve that 1st round exit.

Yeah, I liked how this past offseason Quincey just waited out Holland and got a better deal than he would've gotten in the open market.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Quincey is not getting a significant raise from anyone. He already makes UFA money.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

5 mil for Quincey or so? Lol, Aint no way Holland is that dumb.

Not to mention, "Lol I was the only one willing to sign you"

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Mike Green was not very good in the playoffs this year. At all. I agree they need a guy like him, but at what cost really? I'd be afraid in a year from now people would sour on him and his contract.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Quincey is not getting a significant raise from anyone. He already makes UFA money.

He puts together another solid but unspectacular campagin, cap goes up, and Holland strikes out on a few guys..... and just watch. :popcorn:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

How is Q's agent going to own Holland? No one is giving Q $5M, which would only be a modest raise over what he makes now. You're also talking about a scenario where Holland struck out on literally everyone he was targeting and had to saunter back to Quincey. I know people around here like to use that one instance as the standard now, but Holland has managed to deal in about 90% of the rest of his free agency ventures. Quincey will be pushing 31 then, probably zero production, and likely no hype surrounding him. Also, for all the "waiting out" Quincey did, he still got nil term.

With that said, I'm fully open to trading Quincey for anything and Abby/Helm also if the returns are right.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
How is Q's agent going to own Holland? No one is giving Q $5M, which would only be a modest raise over what he makes now. You're also talking about a scenario where Holland struck out on literally everyone he was targeting and had to saunter back to Quincey. I know people around here like to use that one instance as the standard now, but Holland has managed to deal in about 90% of the rest of his free agency ventures. Quincey will be pushing 31 then, probably zero production, and likely no hype surrounding him. Also, for all the "waiting out" Quincey did, he still got nil term.

With that said, I'm fully open to trading Quincey for anything and Abby/Helm also if the returns are right.

Because Quincey isn't going to take another two year deal. Quincey for any amount of money is going to suck because it's going to end up being a multi year contract. I can definitely imagine a world where Quincey gets a four year, twenty million dollar deal. Especially with how paper thin the Wings prospect pool on defense is and a GM who thinks 1st round exits are awesome.

I think it's very likely Holland has another abysmal off season. That is how i would describe every off season since 2009-2010. If he wasn't willing to pick the prospect over Quincey two years ago, he certainly won't do it a year from now.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Because Quincey isn't going to take another two year deal. Quincey for any amount of money is going to suck because it's going to end up being a multi year contract. I can definitely imagine a world where Quincey gets a four year, twenty million dollar deal. Especially with how paper thin the Wings prospect pool on defense is and a GM who thinks 1st round exits are awesome.

I think it's very likely Holland has another abysmal off season. That is how i would describe every off season since 2009-2010. If he wasn't willing to pick the prospect over Quincey two years ago, he certainly won't do it now.

Theres still this offseason and another.

And if we got 0 Dfensive players/prospects better/potential to be then Quincey i would be really really shocked.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So who do we go for on defense?!?!

Petry re-signed

Babs coaches TOR, doubt we get Phaneuf

Mike Green-good offense but going to cost a ton and he stinks in his own zone

Martin-rumored to be leaving Pens, older, very solid player, shouldn't cost a fortune

Ehrhoff-rumored to be leaving Pens also, we were in the running, big younger, good offensively, bit of a gamble with this past season

Jackman-older, might be kind of cheap, veteran, adds much needed grit and physicality, slow as can be

I don't see any game changers there. I HOPE Holland decides D+Z need one more Cup, after they're gone it might be a while. What do we do? Try to grab 2 of these guys? Package a huge deal for a blockbuster? Look for a goal scorer if Franzen is done?

Who else is available? Thoughts?

Looking at this list makes me want to go with our Rookies. All these players are NOT going to be worth their deals. Oh, they will be better than our rookies, but then we will be up against the cap. Id prefer going the other direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad