2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ask Ansar: On whether some Red Wings' roles will change under Jeff Blashill, free agency concerns

Khan seems to think a trade is far more likely than a big free agent signing.

My question would be what those prospects are expected to pull in. Other teams aren't stupid, they see our roster and pipeline bulging and know something has to give. They also have no idea how these kids will look once they hit the NHL, so there's a hefty gamble on their part if they deal someone with an established value for Shiny Prospect B.

Maybe we can take advantage of someone having to stay under the cap, and get a bit of inflated value from our affordable kids, but I think trying to make a significant trade using our prospects as the main attraction will be a hard sell. And the guys we would likely want to move off the roster aren't exactly gems.

Actual Thought*

My question would be what those prospects are expected to pull in. Other teams aren't stupid, they see our roster and pipeline bulging and know something has to give. They also have no idea how these kids will look once they hit the NHL, so there's a hefty gamble on their part if they deal someone with an established value for Shiny Prospect B.

Maybe we can take advantage of someone having to stay under the cap, and get a bit of inflated value from our affordable kids, but I think trying to make a significant trade using our prospects as the main attraction will be a hard sell. And the guys we would likely want to move off the roster aren't exactly gems.

I think we have plenty of assets to put together a deal. We probably have 8-9 kids that will be regulars in the NHL. We have roster players that could be packaged too. I think this year is the year you will see a trade or two of significance. We have extra assets to upgrade with.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think we have plenty of assets to put together a deal. We probably have 8-9 kids that will be regulars in the NHL. We have roster players that could be packaged too. I think this year is the year you will see a trade or two of significance. We have extra assets to upgrade with.

I don't doubt that we have 8-9 kids that will be NHLers. I'm not sure how the Wings organization views their prospects is shared by teams across the league, though, and if those teams are willing to take a bit of a leap of faith on a trade. I still go back to the rumored deals that didn't go through for Edler and Bouwemeester, where I thought our offers were more than fair (and better than St. Louis' in the case of the latter) but teams were still hesitant to deal with us.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Here's a thought: If Voynov is re-instated, does LA move him in order to move on from the saga? Does he request a trade because he himself wants to move on (maybe to more low-key place)?

And, of course, would you be down with adding him if we could? As much as I hate myself for saying this, I think I'd probably welcome him. Its too easy for me to separate the player from the man. :help:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't doubt that we have 8-9 kids that will be NHLers. I'm not sure how the Wings organization views their prospects is shared by teams across the league, though, and if those teams are willing to take a bit of a leap of faith on a trade. I still go back to the rumored deals that didn't go through for Edler and Bouwemeester, where I thought our offers were more than fair (and better than St. Louis' in the case of the latter) but teams were still hesitant to deal with us.

I agree, but that probably had a lot to do with the fact that they were bench-warmers/AHLers until the age of 23+. And small at that.

I get the sense that they're thinking more along the lines of Jurco, Athanasiou, and even Mantha. Those are the guys that teams will covet because of their physical tools and because they've shown plenty of potential and still have more time to develop.

Also, prior to Nyquist/Tatar, it had been 5+ years or so since we put out any skilled forward talent (Filppula, Hudler). I think teams probably have a bit more faith in our development now that Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan have taken off while Jurco has proved versatile.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Here's a thought: If Voynov is re-instated, does LA move him in order to move on from the saga? Does he request a trade because he himself wants to move on (maybe to more low-key place)?

And, of course, would you be down with adding him if we could? As much as I hate myself for saying this, I think I'd probably welcome him. Its too easy for me to separate the player from the man. :help:

Voynov is nothing but great. Not a coincidence Kings dropped out from the playoffs, when the depth was missing behind Doughty. Would welcome Slava with open arms. he might be the best Russian defenceman in the game already when Markov is declining.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I'd welcome Voynov but I wouldn't criticize Holland for not being interested. PR is important and the Illitch family could very well want to dodge the situation altogether.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Give me Backes or Oshie. Yes.

Backes makes the most sense. You could slot him in as your top center, have Pav or Z center the second line, then have Sheahan center the 3rd and Glendening center the 4th. It ain't a long term solution as Backes is already 31 but it would help paper over the lack of scoring depth we have with Weiss being a full on bust at this point.

Aug 6, 2012
If we are trading any assets they should be towards a quality defenseman. Getting someone like Backes or Oshie is more of a luxury than a need.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If we are trading any assets they should be towards a quality defenseman. Getting someone like Backes or Oshie is more of a luxury than a need.

Eh, I don't know. The top two offensive players are still Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Is adding more offensive weapons really a luxury when your top contributors are 35 and 37? Those guys looking slower and less physical are still able to outproduce our young guns.

Defense is obviously the top priority, but I don't think you can ignore the holes that exist and will only continue to grow at forward either.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

I don't want Voynov anywhere near this team. Even if he were worth acquiring as a talent (he's not good enough to be worth the trouble), I still wouldn't want to look at him. It was hard enough not to boo Chelios and Bertuzzi. I doubt I would be able to not throw bottles at Voynov.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't want Voynov anywhere near this team. Even if he were worth acquiring as a talent (he's not good enough to be worth the trouble), I still wouldn't want to look at him. It was hard enough not to boo Chelios and Bertuzzi. I doubt I would be able to not throw bottles at Voynov.

Yeah, I was definitely a Voynov fan back before it became obvious he's a gigantic d-bag. I want absolutely nothing to do with him. Hockey is the one sport where most of the guys are normal people you can relate/identify with. I'd prefer to not have to root for guys whom I loathe as human beings. I'm not an NFL fan and part of the reason is because of how unlikable guys like Michael Vick and Aaron Hernandez are. This is supposed to be entertainment and I would not enjoy having Voynov on the Wings.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is supposed to be entertainment and I would not enjoy having Voynov on the Wings.

That's missed on a lot of people, but I'm glad you feel the same way. When I'm cheering for the gladiators from the stands, it matters that I enjoy the athlete for more than just winning.

As Wings fans, we've mostly been lucky the top players have been guys considered upstanding in the community. Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg... it's an elite group of captains and leaders. Hard to find many faults in any of them, outside of being kind of boring at press conferences.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
So who do we go for on defense?!?!

Petry re-signed

Babs coaches TOR, doubt we get Phaneuf

Mike Green-good offense but going to cost a ton and he stinks in his own zone

Martin-rumored to be leaving Pens, older, very solid player, shouldn't cost a fortune

Ehrhoff-rumored to be leaving Pens also, we were in the running, big younger, good offensively, bit of a gamble with this past season

Jackman-older, might be kind of cheap, veteran, adds much needed grit and physicality, slow as can be

I don't see any game changers there. I HOPE Holland decides D+Z need one more Cup, after they're gone it might be a while. What do we do? Try to grab 2 of these guys? Package a huge deal for a blockbuster? Look for a goal scorer if Franzen is done?

Who else is available? Thoughts?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
So who do we go for on defense?!?!

Petry re-signed

Babs coaches TOR, doubt we get Phaneuf

Mike Green-good offense but going to cost a ton and he stinks in his own zone

Martin-rumored to be leaving Pens, older, very solid player, shouldn't cost a fortune

Ehrhoff-rumored to be leaving Pens also, we were in the running, big younger, good offensively, bit of a gamble with this past season

Jackman-older, might be kind of cheap, veteran, adds much needed grit and physicality, slow as can be

I don't see any game changers there. I HOPE Holland decides D+Z need one more Cup, after they're gone it might be a while. What do we do? Try to grab 2 of these guys? Package a huge deal for a blockbuster? Look for a goal scorer if Franzen is done?

Who else is available? Thoughts?

I've heard Chicago is not signing Oduya.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Martin is the best one out of that list if we cannot get Green.

Almost all of our dmen suck in the dzone, So might as well get another one but adds ofence at least.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Martin would be a solid pickup IMO if we don't go for Green. We need people who are good in our zone and can move the puck out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wow, didn't think Martin would be available for some reason.

He would be my #1 priority this off-season. Yes, over Mike Green.

Can be a very solid #1 RD, which is exactly what we need.

Kronwall-Martin
Dekeyser-Smith
E or Q- XO or March

That would be much better, IMO.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Wow, didn't think Martin would be available for some reason.

He would be my #1 priority this off-season. Yes, over Mike Green.

Can be a very solid #1 RD, which is exactly what we need.

Kronwall-Martin
Dekeyser-Smith
E or Q- XO or March

That would be much better, IMO.

I wanted the Wings to dump Stuart at the end when Martin was available. I'm not sure how his game has stayed since then. When he was on the Devils, I considered him a poor man's #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad