2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Just say no to Zids. It would be an atrocious signing. Just let him skate off into the sunset.

All in on Mike Green or making a trade for a true top 4 RH D-Man. Wiling to trade core assets and a young roster player and or established vet for a true top pairing D-man.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Just say no to Zids. It would be an atrocious signing. Just let him skate off into the sunset.

All in on Mike Green or making a trade for a true top 4 RH D-Man. Wiling to trade core assets and a young roster player and or established vet for a true top pairing D-man.

Is it just me, or I feel like with all the D men in WSH, Mike Green counts as their #5 guy, who they are totally OK with losing. He is not a #1. Hes a #3 offensive guy. Who one year put up insane numbers, and has been living off of that forever. (I could be wrong about the numbers, but I am in no way impressed with him generally)

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Word in DC is that they can only afford $3 maybe $4 mil to keep Green and if someone offers him $5 mil they won't match. They have a couple kids in Hershey that are ready and with what they paid last years free D agents the Caps don't have much to spend. With Trotz, the Caps want more D out of their defensemen. For the record, Green has said he feels like a number 1.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is it just me, or I feel like with all the D men in WSH, Mike Green counts as their #5 guy, who they are totally OK with losing. He is not a #1. Hes a #3 offensive guy. Who one year put up insane numbers, and has been living off of that forever. (I could be wrong about the numbers, but I am in no way impressed with him generally)

One year? Mike Green has .63 PPG average, he has led D-man goal scoring three times in his career. He had a forgettable year under Oates where he still hit 38 points and that season is well documented in terms of just how many Caps struggled.

Mike Green is an elite puck mover. His issue is staying healthy, but when on the ice there is no questioning his ability to produce offense at a solid clip. A Top 10 offensive weapon in the league on the back-end.

I also actually think his defense is a lot better these days as well. For the crowd that thinks DK can score this is the guy that could drag him to the point totals that crowd dreams about. I would not put him on the first pairing, but as a middle pairing guy, hopefully with DK we have something really interesting and of course the top PP unit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Word in DC is that they can only afford $3 maybe $4 mil to keep Green and if someone offers him $5 mil they won't match. They have a couple kids in Hershey that are ready and with what they paid last years free D agents the Caps don't have much to spend. With Trotz, the Caps want more D out of their defensemen. For the record, Green has said he feels like a number 1.

I will be stunned if he winds up with less than 7 million. He isn't taking a paycut, he will see a modest raise. If we could get him at 6.5 I would be happy.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I will be stunned if he winds up with less than 7 million. He isn't taking a paycut, he will see a modest raise. If we could get him at 6.5 I would be happy.

I like the idea of a healthy mike green on our d, however, at 6.5 for a second pairing guy? That cap hit is ugly for a second pairing guy...first pairing guys make that much. That caphit hurts the team a bit....but we do need what he provides though.....

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I like the idea of a healthy mike green on our d, however, at 6.5 for a second pairing guy? That cap hit is ugly for a second pairing guy...first pairing guys make that much. That caphit hurts the team a bit....but we do need what he provides though.....

Dunno how I feel about this also. I have a feeling some team giving him 7 mil with term might end up regretting it down the road.

Not sure where to throw this, but:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
The 9 clubs Reilly meeting with: CHI, CBJ, DET, EDM, LA, MIN, MTL, NYR, PIT. Reilly officially becomes UFA on June 16.

Anybody know anything about this guy? Noticed he led his team in points. Is he an offensive d-man? What's his overall game like? Would he be a solid pickup?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Eh, I'd have no problem paying him that much per depending on length of contract.

Kronwall-Smith
DD-Green
Big E - Quincey
XO - Marchenko

Ideally Quincey or Big E are moved.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
With the recent free agent defensemen deals, I’d expect Green to get around 7. I would be okay with anything under 7.5

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I like Green a lot as a player, but I have to agree here.

Kronwall has been a negative player 3 of the last 4 years. He has done his best, but we have given him a revolving door of crap to play with. He NEEDS a good partner to play with.

Our 2nd pairing was a +21 last season. I'm all for upgrading the team, bu it has to make sense.

Paying 7 million dollars to a guy to improve our 2nd pair, that may not even not upgrading, just to have our top pairing continue to get killed by other team's top lines seems kinda pointless to me.

We need to determine what he would be here. If he's a top pairing guy, back the money truck up to his house. If he is only a 2nd pairing guy, is it really worth it?

I mean, would he really be worse than Ericsson on a top pairing? I have to imagine we would move the puck really well with Kronwall-Green, maybe we could make it work. A first unit of Z-Dats-Abby and Kronwall-Green, and you are getting a lot of help from some excellent two-way guys.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Dunno how I feel about this also. I have a feeling some team giving him 7 mil with term might end up regretting it down the road.

Anybody know anything about this guy? Noticed he led his team in points. Is he an offensive d-man? What's his overall game like? Would he be a solid pickup?

Offensive D-man and will be one of the ten best skating D-man in the league for a decade plus.

He has some problems in his own end though he continues to evolve. Slick transition player that likes to pinch deep and has the speed to get back. He isn't armed with a lethal shot though so that could impact numbers at the NHL level.

Heck of a player though, if he lands in the right spot where he is developed correctly you are looking at a heck of a Top 4 player for a lot of years in this league.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Kronwall has been a negative player 3 of the last 4 years. He has done his best, but we have given him a revolving door of crap to play with. He NEEDS a good partner to play with.

Our 2nd pairing was a +21 last season. I'm all for upgrading the team, bu it has to make sense.

Paying 7 million dollars to a guy to improve our 2nd pair, that may not even not upgrading, just to have our top pairing continue to get killed by other team's top lines seems kinda pointless to me.

We need to determine what he would be here. If he's a top pairing guy, back the money truck up to his house. If he is only a 2nd pairing guy, is it really worth it?

I mean, would he really be worse than Ericsson on a top pairing? I have to imagine we would move the puck really well with Kronwall-Green, maybe we could make it work. A first unit of Z-Dats-Abby and Kronwall-Green, and you are getting a lot of help from some excellent two-way guys.

The only reason Green would come to Detroit would be if we were paying him top dollar. I can't see Holland doing that given there's a very small chance Green is Christian Ehrhoff 2.0 Buffalo edition. Granted, I don't buy the analogy myself as Green had been a prolific point producer until the Caps embraced dead-puck hockey. With that being said, Holland isn't a guy who comes out on the winning end of a bidding war.

So I think the chances of us signing Green are very slim, like 5% odds.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I would put Smith with Kronwall as most of you know in his last chance in Detroit.

I am curious to see where Blashill puts him as he played awesome hockey under Blashill. He might have bigger plans for Smith than most know.

Jettison Quincey, anchor the third pairing with Ericsson, play him with Marchenko/Oullet/Jensen.

Mike Green provides something we are terrible at in terms of transition hockey. You put him on the second pair so he can be as aggressive as possible with a little better matchups and DK as his stay at home guy.

If Smith is back, I want him in the Top 4 and I would like Ericsson on the third pairing and first PK unit.

Ultimately I think Green will price himself out of Detroit. What scares me to death is over-paying Franson more than over-paying Green.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would put Smith with Kronwall as most of you know in his last chance in Detroit.

I am curious to see where Blashill puts him as he played awesome hockey under Blashill. He might have bigger plans for Smith than most know.

Jettison Quincey, anchor the third pairing with Ericsson, play him with Marchenko/Oullet/Jensen.

Mike Green provides something we are terrible at in terms of transition hockey. You put him on the second pair so he can be as aggressive as possible with a little better matchups and DK as his stay at home guy.

If Smith is back, I want him in the Top 4 and I would like Ericsson on the third pairing and first PK unit.

Ultimately I think Green will price himself out of Detroit. What scares me to death is over-paying Franson more than over-paying Green.

That's a big gamble though. If Smith doesn't pan out, you're pretty much paying a **** ton of money for an upgrade on your 2nd pair, which was your lone bright spot last season anyways.

Smith stabilizing the top pair would be a way bigger win than Green upgrading a middle pairing that was +21.

I do love what Green would bring to the PP, though. That much I can vouch for for sure.

And yes, I am a Franson supporter, I wouldn't be scared of him coming here. I like the package, and the first half of last season he was stellar.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Bob McKenzie
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
The 9 clubs Reilly meeting with: CHI, CBJ, DET, EDM, LA, MIN, MTL, NYR, PIT. Reilly officially becomes UFA on June 16.

Reilly is on the Red Wings' radar, which is interesting. Rumor is that CHI and MIN are the frontrunners.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

In full agreement. And I have the same fear. Since that is likely to happen. Hopefully the Wings can offer things more appealing(organization, tradition, new arena, living conditions etc) to Green rather than getting in a bidding war. Trading for his rights at the draft would be wise.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a stats guy, but...

I'm kinda suspicious of this. What were his zone starts like?

Edit: never mind, it's listed there.

I don't really know a ton about advanced stats, tbh.

I was just piggy-backing off these tweets from this dude from sportsnet:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...nse&minutes=2500&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Here's a fun fact for you advanced stats guys:

Cody Franson is 15th best amongst defenseman in even strength points per 60 minutes over the last 5 seasons (for those who have played 2500+ minutes)

Pretty damn good.

He was a top pairing guy in Toronto. His stats back in Nashville are horrendous, considering he dropped WAY down the chart.

I do think Franson is not at all a bad D man though. But his offensive numbers in Toronto, I do not think will be made up for in Detroit.

So I think his salary demands will be quite unreasonable. considering

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad