2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I agree they are good players, but the cost to acquire would probably be higher than the guys WINgs was going with.

I like Ristolainen a lot.

I think it could be done, with the high need of Ofence for The Devils. and Buffalo needs players

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Larsson, Ristolainen to that list as well

Those are different kinds of targets, though. I highly doubt Risto is available and Larsson turned it on in the second half and still has the sheen of a top pick, although he might be attainable considering they're loaded with young defense talent and barren up front - a mirror image of our trade needs. Either way, those guys are expected to break out. I was thinking more along the lines of guys like Brodie, Vatanen, Sekera - guys that weren't really expected to be as good as they are now.

I realize what I'm asking for here is something like pulling a rabbit out of a hat, but these aren't huge risks either, considering what we have on our roster. If we landed any of the guys I mentioned (Ellis et al), they wouldn't cost the moon and they are, at the very least, as solid as our bottom-pairing guys. Its a low-risk, high-reward move. At the very least, it would mean bringing in non-Red Wings defense products, which probably can't hurt at this point.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Those are different kinds of targets, though. I highly doubt Risto is available and Larsson turned it on in the second half and still has the sheen of a top pick, although he might be attainable considering they're loaded with young defense talent and barren up front - a mirror image of our trade needs. Either way, those guys are expected to break out. I was thinking more along the lines of guys like Brodie, Vatanen, Sekera - guys that weren't really expected to be as good as they are now.

I realize what I'm asking for here is something like pulling a rabbit out of a hat, but these aren't huge risks either, considering what we have on our roster. If we landed any of the guys I mentioned (Ellis et al), they wouldn't cost the moon and they are, at the very least, as solid as our bottom-pairing guys. Its a low-risk, high-reward move. At the very least, it would mean bringing in non-Red Wings defense products, which probably can't hurt at this point.

Brodie is a top pair dman

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Your 15-16 Red Wings blue line

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Quincey
Ouellet-Smith

Do we like that Other Barry?

giphy.gif

No we do not.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Brodie is a top pair dman

So was Sekera post-Buffalo trade. You're really missing the point in what I'm saying. Brodie, up until about 2 years ago, was an Ouellet-level prospect/young player. (Edit: Literally, both are/were ranked 7.0 Bs on this website.) Nobody expected him to be a top pairing defenseman but recognized him as a solid kid. Same thing with Vatanen. Same thing with Giordano. Or Muzzin. Or Krug. The list goes on. The point is to scout the hell out of the pros who fit certain criteria (say, smooth passing at a bare minimum) and then target those players, paying fair value on guys that are already solid in their own right but aren't necessarily guaranteed to break-out. Is it a risk? Absolutely. Is it a big risk? Not at all. Which is the point.

As of now, I highly doubt the Wings are expending excessive amounts of human resources on pro scouting. (This is probably why they pitched an offer to Robidas but labeled Stralman as Kindl-level.) And why would they with the league's most trade-averse GM? My argument is that if the pro scouting department isn't already in overdrive sniffing out underrated defenseman, it should be. Its time to seek out new avenues for addressing our defense needs, because free agency and scouting isn't working, nor is lusting over expensive, hyped-up assets like Tyler Myers and Keith Yandle, as good as they may be.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
What do you give Smith? Can't let him walk for nothing. The team is so log jammed with mediocre to legit (loose term) talent I'm not sure what Holland knows what to do.

You're looking at, if I'm not mistaken in terms of waiver options (Henkka please correct me), in no par. order:

Kronwall, Ericsson, DK, Quincey, Marchenko, Smith, Ouellet

I think we can all agree they aren't going anywhere with that. Do you let Smith walk and hope you can sign Green?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
What do you give Smith? Can't let him walk for nothing. The team is so log jammed with mediocre to legit (loose term) talent I'm not sure what Holland knows what to do.

You're looking at, if I'm not mistaken in terms of waiver options (Henkka please correct me), in no par. order:

I think we can all agree they aren't going anywhere with that. Do you let Smith walk and hope you can sign Green?

trade quincey.

and if not, smith should have some trade value.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
trade quincey.

and if not, smith should have some trade value.
Do you really think Holland is going to bite that bullet again though? I don't think he does. I don't know, I don't think he's backed himself into a corner but there's only like one exit and there are about 2347897895789 effing zombies in his way. He better Zombieland it somehow.

I don't think Smith is worth a lick of salt but that's just me and I'm sure others will disagree but I do think he'd be easier to trade with relatively the same amount of value as Quincey. He's obv. younger.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Why would you do that? Smith is restricted. You can find out if you can sign Green (or Sekera, or make a trade) long before you have to make a decision on Smith.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Why would you do that? Smith is restricted. You can find out if you can sign Green (or Sekera, or make a trade) long before you have to make a decision on Smith.
Because I'm not sure the process of FA in it's entirety and figured you have to sign RFAs before UFAs so you want X amount of cap space going into UFA. But I also imagined there is a grace period after the season starts to become cap complient, but I could very well be (and probably am) wrong.

Don't know everything man.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Because I'm not sure the process of FA in it's entirety and figured you have to sign RFAs before UFAs so you want X amount of cap space going into UFA. But I also imagined there is a grace period after the season starts to become cap complient, but I could very well be (and probably am) wrong.

Don't know everything man.

There is no grace period after the season starts to become cap compliant - there is one during the off-season.

And you can sit on your RFAs as long as you extend them qualifying offers. It used to be that some required a mandatory 10% raise in their qualifying offers and others, after being restricted for the second time, could simply be qualified by offering the same salary. Not sure if that's exactly how it still is, but the gist is the same - as long as you extend a qualifying offer to your RFA, they're yours. It doesn't matter if they sign the offer or not. Most don't, because a 10% salary increase isn't much.

As for Smith, all Holland has to do is to make the qualifying offer and then they can wait it out with Smith, even into the regular season (think Ryan Johansen, most recently). Not sure if Smith has arbitration rights or not, but he'd be stupid to do it. Arbitration is very skewed towards stats and Smith's stat sheet is terrible. Either way, most cases aren't arbitrated until late July, and by then all the best UFAs will likely have landed somewhere.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
smith has arbitration rights. had them even last time. i think he filed for it and i remember joking to my friend ''just show the arbitrator the tape of hawks series and he'll get no more than league minimum''.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
There is no grace period after the season starts to become cap compliant - there is one during the off-season.

And you can sit on your RFAs as long as you extend them qualifying offers. It used to be that some required a mandatory 10% raise in their qualifying offers and others, after being restricted for the second time, could simply be qualified by offering the same salary. Not sure if that's exactly how it still is, but the gist is the same - as long as you extend a qualifying offer to your RFA, they're yours. It doesn't matter if they sign the offer or not. Most don't, because a 10% salary increase isn't much.

As for Smith, all Holland has to do is to make the qualifying offer and then they can wait it out with Smith, even into the regular season (think Ryan Johansen, most recently). Not sure if Smith has arbitration rights or not, but he'd be stupid to do it. Arbitration is very skewed towards stats and Smith's stat sheet is terrible. Either way, most cases aren't arbitrated until late July, and by then all the best UFAs will likely have landed somewhere.
I feel the qualifying offer is like the konami cheat code. Love it. Thanks for clearing that up brother.

I see the good things others do in Smith but I just don't think he'll be able to put it together. Maybe TZE or someone else famaliar with the Griffins can help us in terms of how Blashill used Smith and how their relationship seemed.

smith has arbitration rights. had them even last time. i think he filed for it and i remember joking to my friend ''just show the arbitrator the tape of hawks series and he'll get no more than league minimum''.
haha. Man. What was that other defenseman, who I think was in college at the same time, up to? I knew they were in the same draft class. It was such a heated debate who was the better prospect but I think the edge went to the other guy.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I feel the qualifying offer is like the konami cheat code. Love it. Thanks for clearing that up brother.

I see the good things others do in Smith but I just don't think he'll be able to put it together. Maybe TZE or someone else famaliar with the Griffins can help us in terms of how Blashill used Smith and how their relationship seemed.

haha. Man. What was that other defenseman, who I think was in college at the same time, up to? I knew they were in the same draft class. It was such a heated debate who was the better prospect but I think the edge went to the other guy.

Who was the 'other guy'? Coulda been McDonagh, Shattenkirk or Alec Martinez from that year. My wish this year is to trade up for Warenski. Last D man I was this high on from the college ranks was McDonagh.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Who was the 'other guy'? Coulda been McDonagh, Shattenkirk or Alec Martinez from that year. My wish this year is to trade up for Warenski. Last D man I was this high on from the college ranks was McDonagh.
I'm 99% sure the player I was thinking of is McDonagh. I didn't know Shattenkirk or Martinez was part of that draft class. Like I said before, I'm hoping TZE can let us know how Smith looked under Blashilll in GR and how their relationship was.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Do we like that Other Barry?

giphy.gif

No we do not.
A) Jurassic.Park.Veliciraptorflippingtable.gif

B) Watched Twin Peaks through the first season on Netflix last week (two days binge IRL). That had to have blown everyone's mind back then. Kind of like the cherry pie and coffee. The only thing I had against it was I could tell who the killer was once the characters were established. Still. I've yet to get into "Breaking Bad," if you've seen it would you say it's pretty close in terms of the story telling? I gotta watch "Dexter" too.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
That would be a literal miracle. Now that's a guy you overpay for.

I disagree, though - I do think the Wings D is that far off. Kronwall is a #1 statistically speaking, but he isn't a strong #1. And being the #4 defenseman next to a composed guy like Dekeyser seems to be about all Quincey can handle. If Ericsson were the big problem but Kronwall was a bona fide top tier defenseman and Quincey were a more consistent 3/4 a la Brad Stuart, I would understand your point, but that's not the case, IMO. Lots of weak pieces. Dekeyser is really the only guy who is indisputably good enough for his rank and can/does play above it. All this in addition to the fact that Kronwall is on the darkside of his career and I'm pretty concerned.

iffy. since the lockout-shortened season, here's how he matches up against the rest of the league:
(to be fair, Ericsson's numbers look similar, but with a lot less P/60)

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm 99% sure the player I was thinking of is McDonagh. I didn't know Shattenkirk or Martinez was part of that draft class. Like I said before, I'm hoping TZE can let us know how Smith looked under Blashilll in GR and how their relationship was.

Smitty was an AHL all star under Blash. I felt like Blash picked up where Mike Eaves left off with Smitty's development at Wisconsin. I don't know how they meshed, but I've followed Blash since his Western Michigan days and Smitty from day 1 in Madison and felt Blash was steering him in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see how Smitty does with the coaching change.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Smitty was an AHL all star under Blash. I felt like Blash picked up where Mike Eaves left off with Smitty's development at Wisconsin. I don't know how they meshed, but I've followed Blash since his Western Michigan days and Smitty from day 1 in Madison and felt Blash was steering him in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see how Smitty does with the coaching change.
That is refreshing to hear. Thanks brother. As I've said before, as it stands right now, I'm not a fan of Smith at all. That isn't to say I didn't understand where the hype was coming from and why people still are in favor of him. I undersatnd full well the talent he possess' and it's GD exciting that Blashill could very well tap back into that. Just teach him to shoot RH ASAP :laugh:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
That is refreshing to hear. Thanks brother. As I've said before, as it stands right now, I'm not a fan of Smith at all. That isn't to say I didn't understand where the hype was coming from and why people still are in favor of him. I undersatnd full well the talent he possess' and it's GD exciting that Blashill could very well tap back into that. Just teach him to shoot RH ASAP :laugh:

I'm seeing a lot of the same bonehead moves that drove us Badger fans bonkers. He was a healthy scratch a lot his first two years in Mad-town. But, like you said, there is the potential that could be brought out. I'm hoping to see some power play time; he was lethal when he could cheat a little and get a good feed in the wheel house.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney

That "catch the puck on the bench" maneuver in the Montreal game on endless loop :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad