2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I agree to a point, I understand the idea about moving out Abdelkader, but I'm worried that we don't have anyone else like him to fill in cheaper and produce anywhere near would he (hopefully) can.

But we both know, Holland cannot trade his homegrown talent that has been established in the league. They'll get market value contracts.

The thing that sucks about Abby and Helm is that they're exactly the kind of finishing touches that make a contender a threat to win a Cup. Unfortunately, if we traded them and somehow used the assets acquired to become a contender again, then when it came time to really push for a Cup, you'd probably find yourself wanting to add them, or guys like them, at the deadline.

On the bright side, I think we're in a much better position to trade them now with the physical tools and size of our prospects. Larkin and Bert have the buzz, Larkin and A2 have the speed, and Mantha, Jurco, Nosek, A2 and Sheahan have the size. Turgeon is 6'2, Kadeykin and Ehn are 6'3"....Really, when it comes to the next wave, the smallest guys are the juniors - Bert and Homer - who are a legitimate 6'0".

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The thing that sucks about Abby and Helm is that they're exactly the kind of finishing touches that make a contender a threat to win a Cup. Unfortunately, if we traded them and somehow used the assets acquired to become a contender again, then when it came time to really push for a Cup, you'd probably find yourself wanting to add them, or guys like them, at the deadline.

On the bright side, I think we're in a much better position to trade them now with the physical tools and size of our prospects. Larkin and Bert have the buzz, Larkin and A2 have the speed, and Mantha, Jurco, Nosek, A2 and Sheahan have the size. Turgeon is 6'2, Kadeykin and Ehn are 6'3"....Really, when it comes to the next wave, the smallest guys are the juniors - Bert and Homer - who are a legitimate 6'0".

Not liking the direction hockeys going in lol

No room at all to deke.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

If trading Gator and Helm gets the ball rolling towards the Wings acquiring the elite talent necessary to contend again, i will gladly cross that bridge. Far easier to trade or draft players like Helm and Gator. No player like Gator should be viewed as part of any contending teams core. He is a replaceable part, and should be replaced when he no longer provides enough value. His next contract will virtually guarantee him being a negative value player for the duration of his contract.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Rangers are not gigantic, and the Habs, well the Habs really arent that good at all at anything. And we arent Gigantic at all.

Tyler Johnson only has like 2 points in this series i think.

So two points in four games?

Kucherov is 5'11 and has three points in four games. Same size as Nyquist.

Size only matters when your favorite team is losing games. Otherwise the narrative turns into, "Good teams find a way to win."

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Cuz Nyquist wasnt great 3 years ago

How is it that other teams manage to draft late round players who don't take 3+ years to develop?

Hawks and Bolts are relying on players who were drafted in a similar range to Sheahan, Tatar and Nyquist, but those players were only drafted 1-2 years ago, and already have more career games played than Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cuz Nyquist wasnt great 3 years ago

"He’s a real good player, looks like he’s an NHL player," Babcock said. "We’ve always kind of done things the same way, we send those kids to the minors and let them play a little bit and see what we got here (in Detroit), see how the year starts."
-Mike Babcock, 2011

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If trading Gator and Helm gets the ball rolling towards the Wings acquiring the elite talent necessary to contend again, i will gladly cross that bridge. Far easier to trade or draft players like Helm and Gator. No player like Gator should be viewed as part of any contending teams core. He is a replaceable part, and should be replaced when he no longer provides enough value. His next contract will virtually guarantee him being a negative value player for the duration of his contract.

I just don't understand how trading away Gator and Helm get the ball rolling in acquiring elite talent. They certainly cant fetch that. If its just roster space, I would rather move Miller and Lando and put Gator and Helm on the 4th Line, if we get that elite talent for the top 6 of course.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Abby & Helm are great in that they are the type of players contenders and other teams in general over pay for. Abby is the guy I'd be looking to deal. Career year, physical guy, but is he really likely to do it again, especially if Franzen returns he takes Abbys spot w/ Z & D. If he does score 20 again, he'll demand 5+ on the market and the Wings can't afford him long term.

I dunno if they could land us a top end play by themselves or even in a package, but the assets they are dealt for could definitely help attain them.

Helm I'd hold onto for another year because he can play center and if he has another healthy year, his stock will continue to grow.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I just don't understand how trading away Gator and Helm get the ball rolling in acquiring elite talent. They certainly cant fetch that. If its just roster space, I would rather move Miller and Lando and put Gator and Helm on the 4th Line, if we get that elite talent for the top 6 of course.

Helm and Abdelkader will go for a king's ransom comparative to their stats. Teams love these guys and overpay for speed, muscle and tenacity all the time at the deadline. Not to mention, they've been coveted by other teams since their rookie seasons, according to Holland.

If Abby has another 20 goal season, he'd garner a 1st round pick.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And Kucherov is only 21, how did they manage to get him on the team 3 years earlier than Nyquist?!

To be fair, Nyquist got 22 games three seasons ago when injuries wiped out all of the guys Holland used to clog the roster with. That's like planning to play him from the start, right?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Eh, I don't know. The top two offensive players are still Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Is adding more offensive weapons really a luxury when your top contributors are 35 and 37? Those guys looking slower and less physical are still able to outproduce our young guns.

Defense is obviously the top priority, but I don't think you can ignore the holes that exist and will only continue to grow at forward either.

I could see Eric Staal being a potential UFA target next year because of this Bench. If the team only feels confident in having 1 top 6 center amongst all the center prospects/young players.

I would hate his price though. He also has a playing style that won't manage well once he is 33+ also. So he could turn to a real fan goat in a hurry as he gets up there.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
-Mike Babcock, 2011

Lol whos Sheahan? Is that the guy who got Arrested in a teletubby costume? :laugh:

Mike Babcock

;)

Or you know If you just wanna use Management/Player quotes

Ales Hemsky is one of the greatest players in the NHL :laugh:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
How is it that other teams manage to draft late round players who don't take 3+ years to develop?

Hawks and Bolts are relying on players who were drafted in a similar range to Sheahan, Tatar and Nyquist, but those players were only drafted 1-2 years ago, and already have more career games played than Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan.

Please tell me who these players are that were drafted 1-2 years ago and are now being "relied on" in Tampa and Chicago.

There are none.

And I see a total of ONE core player who was a non-first round pick playing a non-fringe role any earlier than 2 years removed from his draft year: Saad.

Other than that, it's either (a) first rounders playing early on, (b) young players with more than two years of development under their belts, or (c) non-first rounders early in their development playing fringe roles.

Edit: Actually, if you want to poke at a big difference between Detroit and Tampa/Chicago that goes beyond the "top picks" argument, I'd wager where those guys blow us out of the water is in the NON homegrown assets.

Who is a key player for Detroit that wasn't himegrown? Dekeyser.

But Tampa? Half of their entire defense in Stralman, Coburn, and Garrison. And their goaltender. And both of their top six centers.

Chicago? Two of their original "big four" up front in Sharp and Hossa and one of their top 4 in Oduya.

Detroit hasnt struck gold with a non-organizational asset since 2009 and we couldn't even find a way to retain him.

Last edited:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Please tell me who these players are that were drafted 1-2 years ago and are now being "relied on" in Tampa and Chicago.

There are none.

And I see a total of ONE core player who was a non-first round pick playing a non-fringe role any earlier than 2 years removed from his draft year: Saad.

Other than that, it's either (a) first rounders playing early on, (b) young players with more than two years of development under their belts, or (c) non-first rounders early in their development playing fringe roles.

Ondrej Palat was drafted during the 7th round in 2011 and had a full time spot by 2013

Tyler Johnson was undrafted two years ago and is smaller than Nyquist, played his first full season only two years after being signed.

Brandon Saad played 46 games two years after being taken in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft. The following season he played 78 games.

Now let's look at Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan

Nyquist was drafted in 2008 and finished his first full season this year. Would have been last year, but had to rot in the AHL for Danny Cleary. Thanks Ken!!!!! It took six years for Nyquist to earn a full time spot.

Tatar was drafted in the 2nd round in the 09 draft and just finished his second full season. Four years to earn a full time spot.

Sheahan was drafted 21st overall during the 2010 draft and just finished his first full season. It took Sheahan four years to earn a full time spot. He played 42 the year before.

Nyquist and Tatar are great players, but why did it take the Wings that call them up? Teams that have superior roster's when compared to Detroit have found to way to constantly insert their prospects into the linuep only a couple years after drafting them.

There is obviously no denying Detroit takes longer to produce NHL talent, but how do other NHL teams manage to speed up the process? If Detroit were churning out significantly better players than everyone else, i wouldn't care, but they aren't doing that. Detroit is getting less value out of their draft picks by taking so long to earn a roster spot.

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Ondrej Palat was drafted during the 7th round in 2011 and had a full time spot by 2013

Tyler Johnson was undrafted two years ago and is smaller than Nyquist, played his first full season only two years after being signed.

Brandon Saad played 46 games two years after being taken in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft. The following season he played 78 games.

Now let's look at Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan

Nyquist was drafted in 2008 and finished his first full season this year. Would have been last year, but had to rot in the AHL for Danny Cleary. Thanks Ken!!!!! It took six years for Nyquist to earn a full time spot.

Tatar was drafted in the 2nd round in the 09 draft and just finished his second full season. Four years to earn a full time spot.

Sheahan was drafted 21st overall during the 2010 draft and just finished his first full season. It took Sheahan four years to earn a full time spot. He played 42 the year before.

Nyquist and Tatar are great players, but why did it take the Wings that call them up? Teams that have superior roster's when compared to Detroit have found to way to constantly insert their prospects into the linuep only a couple years after drafting them.

There is obviously no denying Detroit takes longer to produce NHL talent, but how do other NHL teams manage to speed up the process? If Detroit were churning out significantly better players than everyone else, i wouldn't care, but they aren't doing that. Detroit is getting less value out of their draft picks by taking so long to earn a roster spot.

You just changed the entire parameters of your argument, which was that Detroit isn't:
relying on players who were drafted in a similar range to Sheahan, Tatar and Nyquist, but those players were only drafted 1-2 years ago.

Neither of these teams are relying on any such thing right now. And only at one point in the recent past have either of teams done so, which, as I said, was with Saad.

Now, because we all have access to the internet and don't need to rely on a mischaracterization of facts, lets look at, as Paul Harvey would have said, the rest of the story:

Johnson: NHL roster spot 5 years removed from being draft eligible. Nyquist had actually already played 22 games by the time Johnson debuted. The difference? Johnson is a premier penalty-killer and two-way center.

Palat: NHL roster spot 4 years removed from being draft eligible. Also a premier two-way player.

Killorn: NHL roster spot in his 5th post-draft year. (Not surprisingly, he's not a good two-way player.)

Kucherov: NHL roster spot in his 3rd post-draft year, he started his season with the AHL, and, to boot, Tampa tolerated him producing just 1 point in his first 6 games and 3 points in his first 13 games, playing 13-15 minutes per night, which is not something Babcock/Holland would've tolerated from a smaller, non two-way player. Not to mention, Kucherov was taken at the peak of the Red (hockey) Scare. He, like Tarasenko, were obvious talents who, had they been born 5 years earlier, would've been taken higher.

You're basing your argument off of players whose development wasn't sped up at all or are exceptions to the rule. Also, the context in Tampa is entirely different, as they were coming off a bottom-feeding season when they went with the full-on youth movement. They allowed these guys the opportunity to sink or swim.

Thus far, the only case for a player debuting early and becoming a core player quickly is Saad. And if Chicago has some secret for "speeding up" their development process, outside of being an insanely talented team that can afford to insulate youth, then I would love to know why they decided not to speed up the process with Brandon Pirri, Dylan Olsen, Kevin Hayes, Klas Dahlback, Adam Clendening, etc. Same thing with Tampa. Why are they using their magic fairy dust on Kucherov but not on Drouin? And what about the now-shifted Connolly?

You're making a claim about development when your argument is nothing more than a critique of policy. It is very, very likely that Nyquist and Tatar debut earlier had they been solid two-way players or had an elite physical tool, a la Palat/Johnson. Its also very likely that they would've been impact players much sooner had they been allowed to struggle, without being yanked in and out of the lineup and demoted to less than 10 minutes a game, for 10-20 consecutive games, a la Kucherov.

In short, your argument is not a matter of "can't", but "won't." And no one is saying that's the right policy, but that is the one that was, up until recently, in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad