2015/16 Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Holland says all the right things but he's far too passive to make that type of commitment. We all talked about trying to get Boychuk from Boston and some didn't think he was an offfensive d-men - like we're overflowing with them - but there was no talk to suggest Detroit inquired. People also like to make excuses like "BUT WE'RE DIVISION FOES!!!" but if Boston needs to get below the cap and we give them the best offer it's probably tough to turn that down.

My guess is Holland will try to sign Zidlicky and Cole to new deals and that's about all that will happen.

I agree. It was blind hope on my part that maybe Holland could use that approach.

I disagree on the Cole and Zidlicky re-signings, though. It looks like Cole is going to retire, and possibly Zidlicky too. If you recall, the Legwand trade was predicated on him being "re-signable", but he wasn't brought back (THANK GOD).

I think samesman Kenny will kick some tires and roll into training camp with the usual:

"We like our team."

and his newest one:

"We need the young guys to step up."

With the defense they've got, I don't see them having room for him.

Oops. Make that the Islanders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
On the flipside of that coin, having a vastly overpaid Mike Green will become a hindrance to KEEPING young players that develop into solid contributors long term.

I just don't see Holland outbidding the other teams that will be happy to overpay for Green. Especially after the Weiss disaster. If he doesn't want Phaneuf coming over with his full $7M cap hit, I doubt he's willing to shell out $6M+ long term for Green.

For some reason, I see the Sharks, Preds, Devils or even Flames or Oilers opening the bank for him.

By the time we have to worry about paying for their success Datsyuk will be retired and Zetterberg will be on his way out. I am confident signing Green would not decimate our ability to pay Tatar, Nyquist, and Dekeyser. Ridding ourself of deadweight helps with those contracts significantly. By the time the next of wave of raises c9me around Datsyuk's hit will be off the tavle, and a couple years after that when z and Kronwall are gone the next generation can take control, Green would start being phased out here in a perfrct world. Holland is paid to be a long-term thinker and signing Green is an insurance policy for a few couple years after Kronwall retires if he buys into the Wings philosophy.

Secondly I think the issue with Phaneuf is that he isn't only a $7 million dollar annual.cost, he is that annual costd and potentially valuable assets for a defensemam that has at least as mamy questions as Green.

There is certainly competition for signing Green, but there has been competition for years and Holland cannot afford to not try to improve the team because we are a bubble team and the streak is everything to Holland. Given our collapse this season and our near-miss last-season I'd bet he is ready to give himselfnsome leeway. Admittedly,this is speculative, but I don't think there is much good reason to not aggressively target Green over Phaneuf. He has to at least try and from therewe have to hope for the best, he is better than Phaneuf

TomFord

Oct 22, 2009
Stockholm
Thoughts and wish list:

1. All hockey people counted this team out way back in September. This was the miss the playoffs year.

2. The core of the team is solid. Abdelkader, DeKeyser, Smith, Ferraro, Glendening, Helm, Jurco, Nyquist, Sheahan, Tatar and Mrazek are all the future of this team and are all top notch at what they do.

3. Howard needs to submit his 10 team trade list.

4. Zidlicky needs to be resigned.

5. Hopefully Zetterberg and Datsyuk have 2 more good years left in them.

6. Ericsson needs to be gone.

7. Sign Mike Green and Johnny Oduya.

8. With the new found success DETROIT will become and attraction again for UFA's.

9. I'm incredibly thankful that the Illitch Family does what is needed to keep the team competitive.

10. It's 1000000% must that Babcock stays. With another year of experience under the belts of of those mentioned in point 2 this team is on the verge of championship level of play. If Babcock leaves I will have the same feeling I had when Bowman retired.

I like your list, especially number 2-7. Would there any team that would want to pick up Ericsson?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I know I will be in the minority on my thinking here but here goes. I know the talk for a couple of years is the need of a PMD that has a RHS.

That's all well and good but I would like a sure fire 30-35 goal scorer as I've seen this team go on major slumps when even one guy (Datsyuk) isn't doing much for a stretch of games. I wouldn't mind pursuing a guy like Kessel. That's right I said it. Even with his contract at full price, I wouldn't mind this happening. Put him on Datsyuk's wing would be amazing for the team.

I think the team plays well enough defense to always keep us in games. Whether that's the players themselves, and or the system in place, it doesn't matter as long as we can keep it close. The extra scoring would help us tremendously.

That's my 2 cents. That being said, go ahead start the flaming, I know it's coming lol.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
I think the team plays well enough defense to always keep us in games.

friend_owl_s_oh_my_god_meme_by_william125-d5l4msg.jpg

Just kidding. I think #1 thing Holland should try to do, is to finally upgrade the defense. It has been one big piece of **** ever since Lidström left. Kronwall, DeKeyser and Quincey were good this season. Smith, Kindl and Ericsson are just awful.

Smith has maybe some trade value, maybe Edmonton (Dreaming) would want to have Ericsson. Kindl should be put to waivers.

I would try to get Paul Martin and Mike Green.

Kronwall - Martin
DeKeyser - Green
Quincey - Marchenko

But it probably be something like this:

Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Quincey
Smith - Marchenko

Last edited:

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
The way i look at it is that detroit is sitting on a huge amount of talented and highly valued wingers in prospect pool, but with the lack of blue-chip prospect on defense, and only larkin at center.

And Kenny really should look to move some of them for some talent on defense or maybe even a veteran guy like phaneuf, i'm an optimist but i wouldn't be suprised that if phaneuf comes to detroit he could have multiple 40-50 points season combined with a physical play. And with some guideline he could be very reliable in the D-zone aswell. But hey that's maybe dreaming, but he could very well have his prime ahead of him on a better structured team.

Jurco/smith/weiss and babcock's 3rd should be enough to get him.

If franzen goes LTIR, signing mike Green plus getting phaneuf should be possible aswell.
Kronwall-phaneuf
D-Green
Q-big E

That's an extreamly good D-core, call it expensive. You've got that solid shut-down in the bottom-6 and a top-4 consisting of 4 defenseman capable of putting up solid 30-50point seasons.
I will call this group expensive but affordable, why? Quincey and dats are on the end of their contracts/careers and they will free up a ton of cap-space. Cap is also looking to increase. The only way this will work ofcourse is if weiss is dealt in phaenuf deal and franzen goes LTIR.

And if jurco is also dealt Kenny should find a big winger for the 3rd line, stewart comes to mind ofcourse. A 220 lb winger that won't show any respect, and will put up solid numbers aswell.

Ofcourse this quite unrealistic, but there's no deny that it would improve this team and make it a contender. Maybe the cap isn't enough, like at all i haven't read enough into that. But this is just me dreaming anyway.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
trade for phaneuf

sign soderberg and z.michalek/petry

release cole, zidlicky, cleary and the monster

trade weiss, andersson, ericsson, jurco/pulkinnen

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
And Kenny really should look to move some of them for some talent on defense or maybe even a veteran guy like phaneuf, i'm an optimist but i wouldn't be suprised that if phaneuf comes to detroit he could have multiple 40-50 points season combined with a physical play. And with some guideline he could be very reliable in the D-zone aswell. But hey that's maybe dreaming, but he could very well have his prime ahead of him on a better structured team.

There is no way Homophobic Sluroof would ever hit 40+ points on this team. He is slow as ****, he lazily backs off his man in man vs man coverage, and he has a lack of hockey iq that makes Smith appear smart :shakehead:.

He also shows a lack of character. Nonis/Shanahan/cap guru explicitly said in a interview around when Franson and the two grinders got traded because they gave a **** that if other players wanted to get moved off the team to play with heart and energy and they would get moved. And Homophobic Sluroof's response? Playing disprited, unmotivated, and invisible hockey except for when he would throw a hit but leave his position in there defensive scheme like he had the entire year.

In a Babs system he would not be long for the bench after 5-10 games (ala Weiss). He has noticebly lost speed in the past 2-3 years and he hasn't even hit the age where slow non skating physical d get exposed (turned 30 this year, most players like he is don't decline until 32-33 but when they do it is very apparent once it happens). He doesn't make smart decisions when he is skating with the puck. He is no better than Big Rig at stretch passing either but in Det he isn't gonna have JVR or Kessel cheating on there defensive assignments all the time to cheat for a rush either. But #52 gives effort and actually plays his man and doesn't shy off his assignments. His slapshot misses more often than getting it in on net.

If Blashill comes in to coach he wouldn't mesh with him either. He prefers a fast puck moving attacking style through the neutral zone. And guess who is slow as ****? Answer is Homophobic Sluroof.

If they must dip into the trade market or UFA to get someone I would prefer going after Green. However there are some things here. due to his injury history at max I would want him coming in here on a 5 year deal. I believe he could fit into the 2nd pairing with Danny Dekeyser (who by the way outscored Homophobic Sluroof this year).

I would much rather avoid UFA altogether. Are pro scouting has sucked donkey balls for going on 3-4 years. The only good signing for this team during that time period wasn't even there perogative. Everyone knows Alfie came due to conversations with many of his countrymen in the offseason.

Next year if possible we have to hope Seabrook hits UFA to actually get a shot at a bonafide top pairing defender. But sadly I don't think he will make it to UFA. If the hawks can get rid of Sharp they will have enough cap to resign him.

It wouldn't surprise me at all this year if we went all in on defense at the draft. Outside of another center falling into our laps that should have been scooped up. However the picks lost on Zidlicky and Cole will hurt on that front. Losing our 2nd and 3rd will make for a ton of longshot 4th round + picks at getting ready any time before a defender. And most of them probably won't be any where near ready for a call up to see what we have got in them before 4-5 years.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
There is no way Homophobic Sluroof would ever hit 40+ points on this team. He is slow as ****, he lazily backs off his man in man vs man coverage, and he has a lack of hockey iq that makes Smith appear smart :shakehead:.

He also shows a lack of character. Nonis/Shanahan/cap guru explicitly said in a interview around when Franson and the two grinders got traded because they gave a **** that if other players wanted to get moved off the team to play with heart and energy and they would get moved. And Homophobic Sluroof's response? Playing disprited, unmotivated, and invisible hockey except for when he would throw a hit but leave his position in there defensive scheme like he had the entire year.

In a Babs system he would not be long for the bench after 5-10 games (ala Weiss). He has noticebly lost speed in the past 2-3 years and he hasn't even hit the age where slow non skating physical d get exposed (turned 30 this year, most players like he is don't decline until 32-33 but when they do it is very apparent once it happens). He doesn't make smart decisions when he is skating with the puck. He is no better than Big Rig at stretch passing either but in Det he isn't gonna have JVR or Kessel cheating on there defensive assignments all the time to cheat for a rush either. But #52 gives effort and actually plays his man and doesn't shy off his assignments. His slapshot misses more often than getting it in on net.

If Blashill comes in to coach he wouldn't mesh with him either. He prefers a fast puck moving attacking style through the neutral zone. And guess who is slow as ****? Answer is Homophobic Sluroof.

I understand what you're saying, like i said i'm an optimist, but just look at Phaneuf's numbers and play and you'll see that it's declined together with the entire team, i don't think he has any heart for the leafs, and just wants out. Just look at his numbers in calgary. He's only 30, and can still get back to his previous numbers unless he sustains injuries.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Objectively speaking, I'd definitely say it's possible he could get 40 pts here. He's shown an ability to put up pts many times in his career, and recently on teams with not as good forwards. Also when you figure Zidlicky is about to retire or leave, thst opens up a PP slot for Phaneuf, whose shot could help there.

Clearly you strongly dislike him though, your post was 95% hyperbole.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Objectively speaking, I'd definitely say it's possible he could get 40 pts here. He's shown an ability to put up pts many times in his career, and recently on teams with not as good forwards. Also when you figure Zidlicky is about to retire or leave, thst opens up a PP slot for Phaneuf, whose shot could help there.

Clearly you strongly dislike him though, your post was 95% hyperbole.

Try objectively watching him and see that his contract is worse than Clarkson's. He is dead weight getting paid 7 million to be a top pairing d man. He isn't. In 2-3 years he wouldn't even be worth a 50% retention trade. He will be a burden that will make Detroit fans appreciative of the supposed absurd contracts that we have in Big Rig (1.25 million discount for second pairing d man to what the going rate is now). If we get him at 2 million retained in 2-3 years people will be screaming bloody ****ing murder about his play mark my words.

At 2 million retained it will be only tolerable if he stays where he is/slightly improves upon play this year through 4 more seasons. If he declines further to a 3rd pairing level which is highly likely given his age in 2-3 years time he will be a 5 million dollar #5 at best. And we will still be stuck with his contract for another 3 additional years.

His contract is the epitome of a team breaker that will cripple ones cap for far too long. And his normal production and purely production is 2.5 years removed from it. And that accounts for naught when you factor in that he is **** in his own end. He will never have a 50+ season again and he hasn't since his age 23-24 year he is 30 now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Try objectively watching him and see that his contract is worse than Clarkson's. He is dead weight getting paid 7 million to be a top pairing d man. He isn't. In 2-3 years he wouldn't even be worth a 50% retention trade.[/B]

At 32 years old he wouldn't even he worth 3.5 million? C'mon dude. He's not as bad as you're making him out to be.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
At 32 years old he wouldn't even he worth 3.5 million? C'mon dude. Let's be rational here.

Bottom pairing D-men don't make 3.5 million per year for 4 years (if at 32). In addition if he was retained at 50% you can kiss our only top 6 center prospect good bye (Larkin).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bottom pairing D-men don't make 3.5 million per year for 4 years (if at 32). In addition if he was retained at 50% you can kiss our only top 6 center prospect good bye (Larkin).

Do you really think Holland would be exploring a trade for someone who's going to be garbage in only 2 years, but under contract for 7?

That seems like a pretty big gap in opinion to me. I mean he did sign Sammy when he was clearly garbage already, but I've seen Phaneuf plenty and I don't think he's that bad at all.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Do you really think Holland would be exploring a trade for someone who's going to be garbage in only 2 years, but under contract for 7?

That seems like a pretty big gap in opinion to me. I mean he did sign Sammy when he was clearly garbage already, but I've seen Phaneuf plenty and I don't think he's that bad at all.

he signed ericsson for 6 years and he's garbage in year 1 already...

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Barring Alfie who came to play with his countrymen who has he picked up since Stuart that was worth a **** as a player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad