Prospect Info: 2015/16 Bakersfield Condors Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm happy to see a few others still high on Simpson.

The guy is such a solid player and has excellent character and leadership abilities.

Plenty of good developmental signs coming from the Bake this year. On the other hand a couple of disappointments but it's never an exact science.

The progression of Musil, Simpson, Oesterle, Khaira, Pitlick, Winquist and Joey Legs have been very positive. I think Davidson has changed everyone's view on prospect development.

Even Moroz has started to produce a bit lately. I'd be pumped if he could reach his potential.

That has led to 0 NHL games this year? Has he really progressed much if at all this season? Oesterle and LaLeggia have both taken big steps this season though I'll give you that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That has led to 0 NHL games this year? Has he really progressed much if at all this season? Oesterle and LaLeggia have both taken big steps this season though I'll give you that.

Seems to be getting good reviews from our Bako posters.

Puck-movers are the ones getting call-ups, so he might not be getting the call based on style more so than merit.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seems to be getting good reviews from our Bako posters.

Puck-movers are the ones getting call-ups, so he might not be getting the call based on style more so than merit.

Neither Gryba or Pardy would be mistaken for puck movers and both are hurt. Then there's the fact that Nikitin sucks and is no longer a guy that we are showcasing and I have to wonder just how good has Musil been?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Neither Gryba or Pardy would be mistaken for puck movers and both are hurt. Then there's the fact that Nikitin sucks and is no longer a guy that we are showcasing and I have to wonder just how good has Musil been?
We can't call anyone else up.
Nikitin was only brought up so the rest of the Bakersfield guys can play if they make the playoffs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Pitlick, khaura, simpson, slepyshev all with points. Major win over gulls in playoff hunt. Huge legit prospects are stepping up

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Slepyshev has 6 points in his last 6 games, looks like he might be adjusting to the North American game.

I am concerned he will head back over to Russia, because he doesn't have the desire nor patience to endure another season in Bakersfield. Though I will credit him with working to get his game up to speed, and he has some interesting tools (good skating, shot, worked hard while up here). I can see why -- he would get paid far better and the hockey is still at a competitive level, home country etc. It would be disappointing, so I hope not.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I am concerned he will head back over to Russia, because he doesn't have the desire nor patience to endure another season in Bakersfield. Though I will credit him with working to get his game up to speed, and he has some interesting tools (good skating, shot, worked hard while up here). I can see why -- he would get paid far better and the hockey is still at a competitive level, home country etc. It would be disappointing, so I hope not.

I'd hope not. I think if he puts in a good offseason and adds a bit more strength and size he could make the team next year. He definitely has the tools and I hope he can get a good stretch of hockey here and help get the team into the playoffs. They'll have some help coming in the form of Nurse, Reinhart and Brossoit for their last 3 games if they can put themselves in a playoff spot until then. Kinda wish they made Pakarinen available for playoffs because he's a great AHL player and could have used a bit of a confidence boost in the scoring department.

Either way I don't think Slepyshev made terrible cash this year. He was up here for almost 1/4th of the Oilers games before he got sent down so he got like 1/4th of his NHL salary plus his AHL salary and his signing bonus.

Also SJ lost tonight so Bak is 2points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand.

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011

This is all just pure speculation though. We don't even know if he has an out in his contract like Yakimov did and if he didn't want to play in the AHL he could of waited before coming over and not had to sign the 3 year ELC. Everything Anton has done so far has indicated that he wants to play in the NHL and he's progressed very well since the beginning of the year with the Condors which to me is an indication that he's still motivated.

The Oilers surely made it very clear that he would get a look at the beginning of the season but would likely end up in the AHL for the majority of this season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is all just pure speculation though. We don't even know if he has an out in his contract like Yakimov did and if he didn't want to play in the AHL he could of waited before coming over and not had to sign the 3 year ELC. Everything Anton has done so far has indicated that he wants to play in the NHL and he's progressed very well since the beginning of the year with the Condors which to me is an indication that he's still motivated.

The Oilers surely made it very clear that he would get a look at the beginning of the season but would likely end up in the AHL for the majority of this season.

This. He got some time in the NHL and it was obvious he wasnt ready. I hope he has a really good off season training and comes into camp next year ready to take a spot. :yo:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Heres some stats courtesy of Lowetide. AHL points since Jan 1. Ive bolded ones that stick out most to me

Tyler Pitlick 24, 7-13-20 (31, 7-13-20 overall)
Jujhar Khaira 21, 7-12-19 (37, 10-16-26 overall)
Josh Winquist 18, 5-12-17 (26, 8-16-24 overall)
Jordan Oesterle 23, 2-11-13 (42, 3-20-23 overall)
Joey Laleggia 23, 4-8-12 (50, 7-16-23 overall)
Dillon Simpson 27, 2-10-12 (44, 2-14-16 overall)
Anton Slepyshev 17, 5-5-10 (36, 9-6-15 overall)
Marco Roy 18, 4-4-8 (31, 6-4-10 overall)
Josh Currie 27, 1-7-8 (42, 4-8-12 overall)
Griffin Reinhart 20, 2-3-5 (27, 2-7-9 overall)
David Musil 28, 0-5-5 (54, 3-7-10)
Kyle Platzer 13, 0-3-3 (40, 5-10-15 overall)
Mitch Moroz 14, 1-2-3 (35, 3-5-8 overall)
Kale Kessy 23, 1-2-3 (48, 7-5-12 overall)
Bogdan Yakimov 4, 0-2-2 (23, 3-6-9 overall)

Khaira is really doing well, as is Simpson. Laleggia is producing right around where I thought he would, .5 ppg. Pitlick is doing well too, but injury concerns obviously

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm happy to see a few others still high on Simpson.

The guy is such a solid player and has excellent character and leadership abilities.

Plenty of good developmental signs coming from the Bake this year. On the other hand a couple of disappointments but it's never an exact science.

The progression of Musil, Simpson, Oesterle, Khaira, Pitlick, Winquist and Joey Legs have been very positive. I think Davidson has changed everyone's view on prospect development.

Even Moroz has started to produce a bit lately. I'd be pumped if he could reach his potential.
I kinda like when guys fly under the radar like Simpson. From day 1 he was billed as a prospect that was going to take at least 5 years to develop. Just a mid round pick that was never overly hyped, but has developed exactly how he was suppose to.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I think Greg Chase deserves an AHL call up soon.

He recently had an 11 point, 6 game point streak (including 9 points in 4 games).

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I think he'll be in camp next September for sure, but the interesting part will be if he doesn't make the team out of camp. That's when we could potentially see him try to head back to Russia, but I hope that's not the case. He's one of our top forward prospects right now so hopefully if they send him down they give him top line minutes and let him know he'll be one of the first callups, and that's enticing enough for him to stick around.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think he'll be in camp next September for sure, but the interesting part will be if he doesn't make the team out of camp. That's when we could potentially see him try to head back to Russia, but I hope that's not the case. He's one of our top forward prospects right now so hopefully if they send him down they give him top line minutes and let him know he'll be one of the first callups, and that's enticing enough for him to stick around.

I dont think they should be giving him 1st line minutes to entice himt o be here, they should do so because its right thing to do for young prospects. I know some vets like Ford or even Pitlick are better, but let Slepyshev play big minutes to develop

Hopefully next year well have enough NHL depth to put Reinhart, Osterle, even Nurse in AHL (to start) and keep Khaira and other forwards there. Then let a majority of the vets go and have a team with mainly young prospects

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I dont think they should be giving him 1st line minutes to entice himt o be here, they should do so because its right thing to do for young prospects. I know some vets like Ford or even Pitlick are better, but let Slepyshev play big minutes to develop

Hopefully next year well have enough NHL depth to put Reinhart, Osterle, even Nurse in AHL (to start) and keep Khaira and other forwards there. Then let a majority of the vets go and have a team with mainly young prospects

I think you want a good mix of vets and young prospects because you don't want to force guys to play over their heads. Grand Rapids has a number of vets laced through their lineup to insulate the prospects, and everyone says that's the model we want to follow. I think ideally next year they can get rid of Hunt and leave the D to prospects, since the odds are we'll have guys like Musil, Reinhart and Oesterle down there who can handle the big minutes. Up front I think they'll still have a couple vets mixed into the lineup, the prospect pool just isn't deep enough. They'll probably keep a guy like Ford to play with Yakimov and Slepyshev, and maybe a couple more to sprinkle in down the lineup too.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
E2 is injured. We now have an ECHL goal tender who was thrown in with the Nilssen trade and he is bad. he is a good ECHL goalie but he has been average to less than here. Today Rimmer was called up so he is in the same mold if not worse.

Edmonton did sign another KHL guy for next season for Bako. Musil is excellent in that he is solid on defense and is now starting to jump into the offense. Simpson is so low keyed that you really do not see him but in a bad loss we took recentlky where we gave up a loss in OT 6-5, the majority of the team was either a -1 to 0 and Simpson was a +4....Now that blew my eyes wide open. He does not have a Hunt type slap shot. It is weak to say the least. However as a dman he is very very good.

As for the play offs, it will be nearly impossible to make it.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
E2 is injured. We now have an ECHL goal tender who was thrown in with the Nilssen trade and he is bad. he is a good ECHL goalie but he has been average to less than here. Today Rimmer was called up so he is in the same mold if not worse.

Edmonton did sign another KHL guy for next season for Bako. Musil is excellent in that he is solid on defense and is now starting to jump into the offense. Simpson is so low keyed that you really do not see him but in a bad loss we took recentlky where we gave up a loss in OT 6-5, the majority of the team was either a -1 to 0 and Simpson was a +4....Now that blew my eyes wide open. He does not have a Hunt type slap shot. It is weak to say the least. However as a dman he is very very good.

Well.....crap

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van

A goaltender? If so, could you give us his name? Actually, regardless what position he is, could you give us a name?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Good read on the AHL guys from coach Fleming

Slepyshev

While 2015-16 is his first campaign playing in North America, this season hasn’t been a breakout one for Anton Slepyshev.

In part that’s due to a shoulder injury. Add in some time to adjust to his new surroundings and the surprising departure of linemate and fellow Russian Bogdan Yakimov, and the year has been mostly trial and error for the former third-round pick (88 th overall) in 2013.

Slepyshev has toiled with the Oilers for small spurts. Spurts could also accurately described his offensive contributions in Bakersfield, although they are coming more regularly as the Condors scramble for a playoff spot.

“It’s taken a while but he’s starting to get it. He’s playing physical, he’s moving his feet more, he’s not playing on the outside, he’s playing on the inside more, he’s going to the blue paint better, he’s protecting the puck more. There’s definitely been some good signs to his game.” – Condors head coach Gerry Fleming, who recently spent some time with TSN 1260 Edmonton/OilersNation.

Let’s not forget that Slepyshev is only 21. The vast majority of players his age are still finding their way at the pro level, let alone adding in an entire cultural adjustment. Oilers fandom probably was expecting more and maybe so too were the Oilers, but it’s only Year 1 of this venture.

“He’s got good skill assets. He just has to bring it on a consistent basis. There’s times when he was caught just standing around but I think that was just getting used to the league and the way the North American game is compared to the KHL where a lot of guys showcase their talents individually. Here it’s a smaller area to work with so you’ve got to use your teammates and you’ve got to always come to the puck and play on the inside. It just took him a little while to understand but he’s starting to grasp the concept and as a result his play has been better.” – Fleming

While Slepyshev has time yet to become a factor, time is not on Tyler Pitlick’s side. He’s gone from prospect to suspect primarily because he can’t stay healthy. Currently in his fifth AHL season, Pitlick has played only 159 games yet when he has been healthy enough to suit up, the 2010 second-round pick has managed 79 points.

Musil

Lastly, it has been a puzzling season so far for defenceman David Musil. Time again when the Oilers have found themselves in need of blue-line help from Bakersfield, Musil’s number has not been called. Yet he’s been easily the Condors most consistent top-end defenceman, unflashy but unwavering.

Game in and game out, he’s been better than Griffin Reinhart yet Musil, whose goal this season was to increase his hard-to-play-against quotient, hasn’t even been called upon for the proverbial cup of coffee. If there’s anything to be gained from facial expressions, it is evident that the coach and player are somewhat baffled by the fact he hasn’t received one chance this season in Edmonton.

He’s been our number-one shutdown guy and been great on the penalty kill. We use him in all situations, we use him late in the game when we’re up a goal, and he’s responded well. The biggest thing is when you don’t notice Dave during a game, you know he’s had a good game. He reads the play offensively as well. A lot of people underestimate his value in that area but he jumps in at the right times. He activates at the offensive blue line at the right times, he’s been getting pucks down to the net a lot better, and creating offensive chances for himself. But his specialty, obviously, is as a shutdown guy and he’s done a good job at that. We’d like to see him get an opportunity but that’s out of his control. All he can control is the way he plays down here. At times it’s been a little frustrating for him. We’ve had a few talks and he’d like to get an opportunity but you can’t worry about whether or not you’re going to get an opportunity. You have to worry about the things you can control in your game.” – Fleming.

Musil talks like his plays the game – patient and steady. One wonders, though, what exactly he and the coach have discussed when others have been summoned to the Show and he has not.

“I feel it’s been a pretty good learning year. I’m trying to get better every day and work at the things I need to improve on. There’s always things to work on to get to the next level. There’s a lot of things I need to improve on offence but I think defensively I improved this year. I want to contribute to the team offensively as well. I know I’m more of a shutdown guy but I know I can do other things as well and contribute otherwise. I just want to play my game and play well. We’ll see what happens afterwards. For sure I want to go there and I feel I can play there but I’ve still got work to do and being here is a chance to get better.” - Musil

Yakimov

After a questionable departure to his native Russia under the guise of competing for a spot in the World Championship, Bogdan Yakimov made an eye-opening return to Bakersfield at the conclusion of the KHL season. The Condors weren’t keeping a spot waiting for him but neither did they turn a cold shoulder when Yakimov came back to roost.

“Bo’s a very likable guy. He’s a good teammate and his teammates enjoy his company. They like the way he plays and they like playing with him. He’d been here for a while so guys welcomed him back. It was like he never left, to be honest with you.” - Fleming

Musil seems to be killing it

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Seeing Musil and Pitlick on the verge of breaking in is interesting. Hopefully they both make a case for spots at camp next season. It'd be nice to have some depth.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Good read on the AHL guys from coach Fleming

Slepyshev

Musil

Yakimov

Musil seems to be killing it

Top D

Musil and Simpson

Top F

Yak2
Slepy is getting better
Klinkhammer when he keeps his emotions in check
JJ
Pitlick
Winquist given some time will be really good

Laleggia is crap on defense. he is a better forward.
Kessey is a good and stead Grinder as is Moroz

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Musil has to be our most underrated prospect. Lots of people seem to dislike him because of the success that guys picked after him like Jenner and Kucherov have had already. But all the staff in the AHL is constantly raving about his play, and I'm still confident he's going to be a solid player for the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad