Prospect Info: 2015/16 Bakersfield Condors Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Chiarelli better find a better goal tender this off season. E2 is getting better but Lauriken (sp) is a good ECHL goal tender. he is NOT going to win any games at the AHL level.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Chiarelli better find a better goal tender this off season. E2 is getting better but Lauriken (sp) is a good ECHL goal tender. he is NOT going to win any games at the AHL level.

Do you mean Lundstrom is the ECHL level guy? Because he was just a contract thrown in from the Nilsson deal, and likely won't get qualified. Laurikainen is likely to be the starter for you guys next year unless LB struggles a lot down the stretch here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
With Reinhart recalled for Davidson there is only one more recall available to Edmonton.

We'll we have none left now, but it really means nothing as who is really left to callup and if there are injuries we can still get guys up. Nothing new to this club, seen this done it for the past 6-7 years

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'd be shocked if they didn't pickup a vet goalie to push LB for the backup job. Winner gets NHL backup loser gets AHL starter job.

Could see LB actually going down to start the year anyway to get some games in.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Should be able to find a 1B goalie with NHL experience for Bakersfield next season ... Goalie market is pretty saturated and someone like Scrivens shouldnt be hard to acquire for AHL.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Should be able to find a 1B goalie with NHL experience for Bakersfield next season ... Goalie market is pretty saturated and someone like Scrivens shouldnt be hard to acquire for AHL.

Thank you ALL. Laurelkin is bad. On EVERY breakaway he fails to even touch the puck. It passes through him straight to the back of the net. Hunt is horrendous on defense but that is nothing new. Betker actually played well in his first game back. He used his body to stop the cycle and played average defense. Actually his the ONLY dman besides Musil that is willing to play a physical game. Simpson gently pushes them against the boards and tries to hold them there.

JJ beat the crap out of an Eakins Gull. It was needed and he showed enough was enough. Obviously the NHL will be fixed first. I just hope in the off season that Chiarelli does not forget about us. We are too small. Even small guys can play big but ours do not. Kessey, moroz and JJ are the only ones who do.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
They probably shouldn't give up break aways then...

Seriously Laurikainen isn't that bad, he's also a rookie in this league.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
They probably shouldn't give up break aways then...

Seriously Laurikainen isn't that bad, he's also a rookie in this league.

Yup. Things could change depending how E2 and LB do down the stretch here, but right now I'm fairly certain management is planning to run Talbo/LB in the NHL next year with Eetu either being the starter or splitting games next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign another guy similar to Eetu, guy who's had some success in Europe but is still young enough to potentially develop into something(former draft pick Samu Perhonen maybe..?).

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Yup. Things could change depending how E2 and LB do down the stretch here, but right now I'm fairly certain management is planning to run Talbo/LB in the NHL next year with Eetu either being the starter or splitting games next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign another guy similar to Eetu, guy who's had some success in Europe but is still young enough to potentially develop into something(former draft pick Samu Perhonen maybe..?).

That doesn't seem like how Chai's ran his goaltending over the years. He's normally had two at least 2 names that you could count on to take NHL starts on his rosters.

1 injury, especially if it was Talbot, and that's game over. I think you'll see something similar to this past season. 3 goalies in camp, 2 of which fighting for the open backup spot.

It won't be someone like Rimmer or Ward who's basically guaranteed the spot, but I'd be happy with Budaj or Berra being here as insurance.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Yeah I don't think they hand Eetu the spot next year, Chia is all about internal competition everywhere.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I don't think they're going to hand the spot over to Eetu by any means, but I also don't think they're going to be bringing in a vet either. The way that Chia talks about LB, along with the fact that he gave him a 1 way contract to me says that he'll be the backup here next season unless he absolutely stinks down the stretch here. Like I said, I think they'll bring in a guy who is still young enough that he could break out and become an NHL calibre guy versus bringing in a Budaj/Leighton/Bachman style guy.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I don't think they're going to hand the spot over to Eetu by any means, but I also don't think they're going to be bringing in a vet either. The way that Chia talks about LB, along with the fact that he gave him a 1 way contract to me says that he'll be the backup here next season unless he absolutely stinks down the stretch here. Like I said, I think they'll bring in a guy who is still young enough that he could break out and become an NHL calibre guy versus bringing in a Budaj/Leighton/Bachman style guy.

They could/should sign a free agent goalie from the NCAA.

The other two truly big free agents are goaltenders. Yale's Alex Lyon is a junior, and the best goalie in the country with a .941 save percentage. But here's the thing: He's always been great, boasting a career .933 in 90 games, behind a .939 save percentage last year. He was a “mere†.918 (still comfortably above the national average) as a freshman. Teams should be beating down his door.

And maybe it's just something in the water in New Haven, Connecticut, because across town is Quinnipiac's Michael Garteig, who's sitting on .926 for the year and .917 for his career. Here, though, I would preach cautious optimism about the 24-year-old, who started the year white-hot but is now just .908 in his last 18 games. That's far more in line with the .908 career number he carried entering the year, isn't it?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/huge-if-true--ncaa-free-agents-now-available-015818583.html

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Who was the last (undrafted) NCAA goalie that had a solid start to their pro career?

I'm just remembering the O'Conner hype train from last year, and seeing the .886 SV% he's rocking this year.

Though I wouldn't be against a RH collage defenceman. Any Kenney Morrison-types this year?
**Reading the article it seems Casey Nelson is that guy.

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Who was the last (undrafted) NCAA goalie that had a solid start to their pro career?

I'm just remembering the O'Conner hype train from last year, and seeing the .886 SV% he's rocking this year.

Though I wouldn't be against a RH collage defenceman. Any Kenney Morrison-types this year?

Hammond has done alright.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

I don't believe any trends with goalies. Results are results and goalies are riddles wrapped in enigmas.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Dillon Simpson with 2 apples, been putting up good points recently. Broke out in NCAA in second year. Don't sleep on him. By end of next year hell be knocking on nhls door

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Looks like goaltending and defence are non-existant in the Condors game tonight lol.

4-2 Condors and the first isn't even over. Slepyshev with another goal, Khaira with one. Simpson with 2A and +4 so far.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Fingers crossed for Simpson to be the next Davidson.

Similar size if he can fill out like Davidson did. Similar production in the AHL as well and he's a fairly smart dman from what I've seen. Skating still probably needs a bit of work, but its not terrible either like a guy like Musil.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thank you ALL. Laurelkin is bad. On EVERY breakaway he fails to even touch the puck. It passes through him straight to the back of the net. Hunt is horrendous on defense but that is nothing new. Betker actually played well in his first game back. He used his body to stop the cycle and played average defense. Actually his the ONLY dman besides Musil that is willing to play a physical game. Simpson gently pushes them against the boards and tries to hold them there.

JJ beat the crap out of an Eakins Gull. It was needed and he showed enough was enough. Obviously the NHL will be fixed first. I just hope in the off season that Chiarelli does not forget about us. We are too small. Even small guys can play big but ours do not. Kessey, moroz and JJ are the only ones who do.

How did Betker look tonight? I've been a fan of his for some time but his mobility was piss poor in Penticton this year.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm happy to see a few others still high on Simpson.

The guy is such a solid player and has excellent character and leadership abilities.

Plenty of good developmental signs coming from the Bake this year. On the other hand a couple of disappointments but it's never an exact science.

The progression of Musil, Simpson, Oesterle, Khaira, Pitlick, Winquist and Joey Legs have been very positive. I think Davidson has changed everyone's view on prospect development.

Even Moroz has started to produce a bit lately. I'd be pumped if he could reach his potential.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

The guy is such a solid player and has excellent character and leadership abilities.

Plenty of good developmental signs coming from the Bake this year. On the other hand a couple of disappointments but it's never an exact science.

The progression of Musil, Simpson, Oesterle, Khaira, Pitlick, Winquist and Joey Legs have been very positive. I think Davidson has changed everyone's view on prospect development.

Even Moroz has started to produce a bit lately. I'd be pumped if he could reach his potential.

I gather Platzer and Kessy have been Ok too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yeah Davidson (and to a lesser extent Khaira) bring hope from our farm team and that we are doing something well. It took Davidson 5 years and 3 AHL seasons before he was able to get where hes at. Guys like Musil and Simpson will be right around that point next year or year after. Not saying theyll become Davidson, but theyll be around that same point in development Davidson made the step

Im keeping my eye on Osterle and Musil. Both have NHL experience, both around where Davidson was a year ago. Huge if one of them broke out

Legs and Simpson are still a bit too raw. Although I think boths potential more than Osterle/Musil. Ill look for them in a year and a half.

I Think Simpson will be that 25 yO that kind of comes out of nowhere. Just a jack of all trades D with good IQ. His game is alot like Davidsons minus some of the size and strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad